PowerMac G3 B&W Update Problems

ifrit05

3 posts in this topic

Been a long time since I was here. Good tidings old friends. 

Anyways, I cant seem to update my PowerMac G3 B&W past 10.4.2. At first, tried combo update to  install 10.4.11. No cigar. Said install error and I rebooted and got a blue screen. So, I decided to reinstall and go update by update. Got to 10.4.3 and it errored. So i tried 10.4.4 Combo Update. Nothing. Still got error. So I know it's a 10.4.3 update error. 

I recently flashed a Radeon 7000 PC card to Mac. Works flawlessly with PCE Extreme to enable Quartz Extreme. (Wish youtube would play... It's all choppy). Could that be causing it? I also installed a PCI USB/Firewire 800 card. Also works flawlessly. 

PPC 400 mhz

512 Ram (PC100, 4x128 modules)

Radeon 7000 "Mac Edition"

Any more info I will include. Just ask.  :(

Lol, afraid to reboot now...

Been a long time since I was here. Good tidings old friends. 

Anyways, I cant seem to update my PowerMac G3 B&W past 10.4.2. At first, tried combo update to  install 10.4.11. No cigar. Said install error and I rebooted and got a blue screen. So, I decided to reinstall and go update by update. Got to 10.4.3 and it errored. So i tried 10.4.4 Combo Update. Nothing. Still got error. So I know it's a 10.4.3 update error. 

I recently flashed a Radeon 7000 PC card to Mac. Works flawlessly with PCE Extreme to enable Quartz Extreme. (Wish youtube would play... It's all choppy). Could that be causing it? I also installed a PCI USB/Firewire 800 card. Also works flawlessly. 

PPC 400 mhz

512 Ram (PC100, 4x128 modules)

Radeon 7000 "Mac Edition"

Any more info I will include. Just ask.  :rolleyes:

Lol, afraid to reboot now...

The blue screen is a tell tale sign of a graphics problem. It is most likely your graphics card causing this.

Thanks for the reply!

But why does it not want to install the update WHILE i'm running 10.4.2? It just halts and says there was a error.

It reboots fine BTW, just want to get this updated.

I am going to hack up some cables on a PC power supply to work on a Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet. Don't worry, I have A LOT of power supplies (like, more than 100). Just want this mac the best it can be...

EDIT:

Found out this is a Rev. 1 Logic Board. They supposedly have ATA/Hard drive errors... Haven't seen any yet...

The Firmware is 1.1.1f4 (1.1), which is up-to-date. I put a DVD-DL Writer in it and ran PatchBurn. Works great.

I have 6 of these machines and 3 G4 Gigabit's. Maybe I should try another G3...

Thanks, any more help would be appreciated.