Video on NANO

18 posts in this topic

only the uncompressed AVi (nor divx and others...) by installing IpodLinux on your favorite NANO...

you can choose at ipod startup between Linux and Applesoftware and you can play movies !!!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6...mp;q=ipod+linux

enjoy

download installer :

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ipodlin...ha.dmg?download

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

iPL has compressed video??!! Guess that's my own fault for no longer checking their forums...

Honestly, though...the amount of ignorant, idiotic kids who don't RTFM on there was just overwhelming. How many times does someone have to say, "You can not brick your iPod with iPL".

Yeah, at the moment, things only work with a special MV Player codec, or with uncompressed video. The problem with decompressing things like DivX, is that enough processing power is used up already with audio decompression, so trying to add in the task of video at the same time makes things incredibly difficult. :D

• 4 weeks later...

i have a 2gb nano triple booting iPL/rockbox and apple os and my battery lasts for hours while playing movies (uncompressed avi)... i can watch more than 2 episodes of samurai champloo without my battery even going below half way. it does not chew up much battery power.

resolution may be terrible... but can you buy a video player that doesn't feel like a brick in your pocket? i think the small size is a good thing. it has surprisingly good image quality for such a small screen also... it isn't that bad watching video on it.

also, i would like to add that rockbox is obviously the best choice for playing music... you can just copy/paste your mp3s directly onto your ipod drive. no more itunes!! just change the mode in rockbox from itunes files to mp3s.

and why would recording audio on a nano be cool... even if it were able to record without the adapter i would still not care... i just use it for music and videos.

and sportman... if people knew that you could buy a nano and do exactly the same as an ipod video for a lower price, but with a smaller disk size, they wouldn't get as many video sales because the main use of the video function on ipod videos is for music clips and that you can do on a nano. the only advantage of the video is really the disk size... but with the 8gb nanos that are coming out, most people will be satisfied with them. i still wouldn't mind a 60gb for storing my music on... :)

Dragon

apple have also said that they are encouraging ipod linux.