Intel GMA945 (0x27AE8086+0x27A28086) resolution + CI/QE/OpenGL solution

Andy Vandijck

189 posts in this topic

Hmmm - I just occurred to me, I elected to do a 64-bit install.

I just noticed the following in my console logs;

com.apple.kextd[10] Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950.kext - no code for running kernel's architecture.

com.apple.kextd[10] Failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950.kext - (libkern/kext) requested architecture/executable not found.

com.apple.kextd[10] Load com.apple.driver.AppleIntelGMA950 failed; removing personalities.

Followed a little later by this :

com.apple.kextcache[514] /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950.kext doesn't support architecture x86_64; omitting from prelinked kernel.

com.apple.kextcache[514] /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext doesn't support architecture x86_64; omitting from prelinked kernel.

com.apple.kextcache[514] /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/InternalModemSupport.kext doesn't support architecture x86_64; omitting from prelinked kernel.

Andy - does this solution for for Snow Leopard in 64bit mode?

Is anyone running SL in 64 bit mode with a Intel gma945 with QE/CI?

Make sure you have 10.6.4 and GraphicsUpdate 1.0 installed.

The latest version (the GraphicsUpdate one) should have support for 32 + 64 bit.

Hi Andy,

I'm experiencing some strange issues with this.

I've got a Dell XPS M1210 that reports the following in system profiler:

Vendor : Intel (0x8086)

Device ID : 0x27a2

Revision ID : 0x0003

I initially installed SL 10.6.3 from IATKOS S3 V2 using the AsereBLN bootloader. I've since used apple update to shift to 10.6.4 and installed the SL Graphics Update.

When I use the BOOT_RL3 and a patched DSDT.aml from this site (any any combination of vanilla or patched kexts), I boot into OSX and get a screen res of 1280x800 (which is an improvement) and while I get transparent menus, I'm not getting hardware acceleration or QE enabled.

I'm using OpenGL Extension Viewer and your "Video Hardware Information" tool and I'm seeing no hardware acceleration, no QE and failures on all Open GL 3.0+ tests [image Attached]. Just noticed that screenshot, frontrow do not work either.

My boot.plist is as follows;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">'>http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">'>http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">'>http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>DSDT</key>

<string>/Extra/dsdt.aml</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

My decomplied DSDT is attached;

1. Do you have any thoughts on why this might not be working?

2. (Really more of a side note) The BOOT_RL3 seems to ignore the "Boot Graphics" command, any way to fix this and get my pretty pictures back?

Cheers.

Try the following boot.plist:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>GraphicsEnabler=Yes</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>DSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Hi Andy,

I'm experiencing some strange issues with this.

I've got a Dell XPS M1210 that reports the following in system profiler:

Vendor : Intel (0x8086)

Device ID : 0x27a2

Revision ID : 0x0003

I initially installed SL 10.6.3 from IATKOS S3 V2 using the AsereBLN bootloader. I've since used apple update to shift to 10.6.4 and installed the SL Graphics Update.

When I use the BOOT_RL3 and a patched DSDT.aml from this site (any any combination of vanilla or patched kexts), I boot into OSX and get a screen res of 1280x800 (which is an improvement) and while I get transparent menus, I'm not getting hardware acceleration or QE enabled.

I'm using OpenGL Extension Viewer and your "Video Hardware Information" tool and I'm seeing no hardware acceleration, no QE and failures on all Open GL 3.0+ tests [image Attached]. Just noticed that screenshot, frontrow do not work either.

My boot.plist is as follows;

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>DSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

My decomplied DSDT is attached;

1. Do you have any thoughts on why this might not be working?

2. (Really more of a side note) The BOOT_RL3 seems to ignore the "Boot Graphics" command, any way to fix this and get my pretty pictures back?

Cheers.

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>DSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Added + patched kexts from 10.6.5

Enjoy...

Sorry if I look rude, but the 10.6.5 kexts sorta don't work.

(Acer Aspire One AOA150, 27AE)

That means:

Installed, repaired permissions, rebooted, had only generic IONDRVSupport and no QE/CI.

Rebooted with -f, same thing.

Checked with kextutil, it says they are OK, kextstat tells they are loaded.

Now to the fun part.

Rebooted with -s, loaded both kexts manually, Ctrl-D... And it works.

Rebooted, and they don't work. Again.

Rebooted with -s, loaded both kexts manually, Ctrl-D... And it works.

Well, I was desperate to try to somehow automate the process. So I slapped together a happy launchd job:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd" >
<plist version='1.0'>
<dict>
<key>Label</key><string>org.jafd.intelfb</string>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
<string>/sbin/kextload</string>
<string>-v</string>
<string>/System/Library/Extensions/IOGraphicsFamily.kext</string>
<string>/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext</string>
<string>/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950.kext</string>
</array>
<key>Debug</key><true/>
<key>Disabled</key><false/>
<key>KeepAlive</key><false/>
<key>RunAtLoad</key><true/>
<key>OnDemand</key><false/>
<key>LaunchOnlyOnce</key><true/>
</dict>
</plist>

But despite all my efforts to make it run as early as possible, I have WindowServer starting up before it kicks in, so that the system is unusable (it has boot screen and a mouse cursor on it; ps ax in a remote shell tells me that everything is loaded, but probably drawn on another framebuffer which I cannot see).

To sum it up: impossible to load the kexts automatically, but possible to do that manually; impossible to force-load them in a given timeframe.

Maybe someone will point me to a better solution?

Ehrm.

sudo rm -fR /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/*

did the job. (Be careful not to type any extraneous spaces if you don't want to have your system screwed badly.)

I think that this directory watching the new kextd sports is far less reliable than simple removal of the cache file we've had back in Leopard days. At least, there were a lot less false negatives.

Make sure you have 10.6.4 and GraphicsUpdate 1.0 installed.

The latest version (the GraphicsUpdate one) should have support for 32 + 64 bit.

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>DSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Hi Andy - thanks for the response (I've been away, so I apologize for my belated reply).

I've double checked that I have the right kexts (reinstalled the graphics update to confirm) and I've tried the boot.plist you suggested - neither providing any change.

Any other thoughts on this? I'm kind of wondering why it's only the boot_rel3 file that works for me when I have the patched DSDT and correct boot loader - any thoughts?

The missus is killing me about not being able to use iPhoto (seems to be related to not having QE enabled) and I'm desperate to get her off my back ;)

Any additional help you can offer would be very much appreciated.

I'm using a 27A2 card. I've done the install as described and it works other than one peculiar quirk. In order to display on my external monitor I must unplug the monitor, and then plug it back in. Is there a work around for this?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'm using the 10.6.5 kexts you recently uploaded.

• 4 weeks later...
Added + patched kexts from 10.6.5

Enjoy...

Hello!

Thank you! I apreciate your work!

I have an Acer D250, but when I plug an External screen (VGA), I have a strange rainbows on both screen...

How can I fix this?

Fournisseur : Intel (0x8086)

Identifiant du périphérique : 0x27ae

Identifiant de révision : 0x0003

GMA950.tiff

Hello, I have red all this thread but (sure becasue I am a newbie) I have not found the solution yet.

I have a laptop as you can see in my signature, it has 0x27A2 and I have the latest 10.6.5 retail installed using latest [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. I tried using only the AppleIntelGMA950.kext the standard AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer and also the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer "patched version". I know you suggest adding a string to some PSxx, but I do not know even what you are talking about...could you please give me some more advice?

After a clean retail install, 10.6.5 combo update and [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] install, if I only use your AppleIntelGMA950 I have only the external display working, like before. If I use also your AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer I get a freeze during boot.

Hello, I have red all this thread but (sure becasue I am a newbie) I have not found the solution yet.

I have a laptop as you can see in my signature, it has 0x27A2 and I have the latest 10.6.5 retail installed using latest [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. I tried using only the AppleIntelGMA950.kext the standard AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer and also the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer "patched version". I know you suggest adding a string to some PSxx, but I do not know even what you are talking about...could you please give me some more advice?

After a clean retail install, 10.6.5 combo update and [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] install, if I only use your AppleIntelGMA950 I have only the external display working, like before. If I use also your AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer I get a freeze during boot.

That's odd.

You probably need to fix the graphics adapter within your DSDT to fix the freeze.

Hello!

Thank you! I apreciate your work!

I have an Acer D250, but when I plug an External screen (VGA), I have a strange rainbows on both screen...

How can I fix this?

Fournisseur : Intel (0x8086)

Identifiant du périphérique : 0x27ae

Identifiant de révision : 0x0003

Try updating your BIOS to the latest version (1.28, available from http://www.acer.com)

I also have an Acer Aspire One D250 and it works with no issues.

Try updating your BIOS to the latest version (1.28, available from http://www.acer.com)

I also have an Acer Aspire One D250 and it works with no issues.

Already done!

System BIOS Version: V1.28

VGA BIOS Version: Intel V1585

For a proper installation, I have only to install your (two) patcher kext in S/L/E?

And what about the Extra folder? DSDT?

Thanks a lot!

That's odd.

You probably need to fix the graphics adapter within your DSDT to fix the freeze.

I found another solution during my tests, I have used only your AppleIntelGMA950.kext, the standard AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer and another kext found on this community called Natit.kext and now it works, maybe this can help someone, even if I really do not know what Natit does and how...I just have my laptop screen on now.

Thanks for your kext Andy

If my workaround is not good for reasons I do not know, please let us know, so that others will not follow my suggestion.

• 4 weeks later...

I followed the instructions on the original post but got nothing but either kernel panics or blank screens.

If anyone gets full video support on a D520 dell latitude running 10.6.3 - 10.6.6 please msg me.

For the time being I get video but with no QE/CI or OGL support whatsoever

Thanks

8086:27a2 Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller

Added patched version for 0x27AE8086 for 10.6.6

hi people im on a toshiba nb100 everything is workig but not the screen ive tried all the fixes for 10.6.6 as thats what im on now and all i get is a gray screen after the apple boot loader and then it goes black.

my screen is 27ae

ive tried installing just the appleintelframebuffer.kext and the AppleIntelGMA950.kext... thing is when i try just the kexts from kexts.com which is only the frame buffer it works but with no QE ETC can anyone help me get QE ETC please ?

http://www.kexts.com/view/497-appleintelin...a_950_nb_1.html

that is what im using now!! plz help also im a noob ... :)

edit with that kexts from kexts.com mirroring works!

• 2 weeks later...

so i made the jump and installed 10.6.6 from a very good working 10.6.2.

I installed the kext here for 10.6.2 on my 27AE (acer zg5).

1st i want to say that the archive here is packaged weird. i found other kexts inside the kext archive. i assume i had to move the one from within in my /s/l/e

anyway, the resolution works fine, beautiful graphics, but NO QE!

i am not sure what i could have done wrong. i simply replaced my 10.6.6 original with your 2 kexts files, cleaned the /s/l/Caches.

touch /s/l/e

still no acceleration.

any idea?

so i made the jump and installed 10.6.6 from a very good working 10.6.2.

I installed the kext here for 10.6.2 on my 27AE (acer zg5).

1st i want to say that the archive here is packaged weird. i found other kexts inside the kext archive. i assume i had to move the one from within in my /s/l/e

anyway, the resolution works fine, beautiful graphics, but NO QE!

i am not sure what i could have done wrong. i simply replaced my 10.6.6 original with your 2 kexts files, cleaned the /s/l/Caches.

touch /s/l/e

still no acceleration.

any idea?

Normally it should work if you use Chameleon (I recommend AnVAL) GraphicsEnabler=Yes boot argument and then replace the 2 kexts in /S/L/E

With AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and AppleIntelGMA950.kext in place like this it should work.

QE/CI/OpenGL is provided by AppleIntelGMA950.kext and it's plugins so you need to look there for your no CI/QE/OpenGL problem...

Hi, I hope someone can help me. I have Aspire ZG5. I installed Snow Leopard 10.6.3 retail and updated to 10.6.6, everything work great with some kexts. I have full graphic but when i open a file, it got cut off on the bottom. i cannot click "next" or "Ok" since it's in the bottom of the screen. Since there's a CI/QE/OpenGL solution for 0x27AE8086, will this solve my problem? Is all I need to do is drag the kext to Kext Utility? do i need to edit DSDT as in 10.6.3 "howto"? thx

Normally it should work if you use Chameleon (I recommend AnVAL) GraphicsEnabler=Yes boot argument and then replace the 2 kexts in /S/L/E

With AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and AppleIntelGMA950.kext in place like this it should work.

QE/CI/OpenGL is provided by AppleIntelGMA950.kext and it's plugins so you need to look there for your no CI/QE/OpenGL problem...

ok, so that was weird, i guess one of the plugin was wrong, i installed them again (not your files) it then worked.

weird but who cares!? it works! Thank you so much!

• 2 months later...

Any update for 10.6.7 ?

I have tried your kext, and actually they kinda work. They have offered me a incredible stability and performance I have never seen before on 10.5.8 and in any other OS...

BUT...

It only works if I plug an external screen. The internal laptop screen is always turned off for a unknown reason to me.

Yet I can`t try the DSDT thing because I sucks at doing it, and when I apply the patched dsdt.aml my system shows a KernelPanic at the beginning of booting.

The "GraphicsUpdate 1.0 27AE Fix" seems to doing the trick, but the problem is the internal screen never turning on.

Any update for 10.6.7 ?

I have tried your kext, and actually they kinda work. They have offered me a incredible stability and performance I have never seen before on 10.5.8 and in any other OS...

BUT...

It only works if I plug an external screen. The internal laptop screen is always turned off for a unknown reason to me.

Yet I can`t try the DSDT thing because I sucks at doing it, and when I apply the patched dsdt.aml my system shows a KernelPanic at the beginning of booting.

The "GraphicsUpdate 1.0 27AE Fix" seems to doing the trick, but the problem is the internal screen never turning on.

That's odd... must be DSDT video PNLF device issue...

Check with other DSDT fixes (or search a modded one or let somebody else mod one) to get this fixed...

The 0x27AE 10.6.7 kext will be available soon (when I've downloaded the 10.6.7 update and modded the kernel for Atom + fixed GMA kexts).

That's odd... must be DSDT video PNLF device issue...

Check with other DSDT fixes (or search a modded one or let somebody else mod one) to get this fixed...

The 0x27AE 10.6.7 kext will be available soon (when I've downloaded the 10.6.7 update and modded the kernel for Atom + fixed GMA kexts).

Got it.

Going to keep trying with the DSDT thing. Thanks for the quick reply.

:: Edit ::

O yeah, btw, Im quad849, i just had forgot the password for this one, anyway, Im back again >:D