Web Application/Site Languages

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Deetman

Deetman

OSx86 Project Web Guy

• Retired
  • 88 posts
I've always been a hardline PHP guy myself, but I'm curious to see what everyone else here uses to code the "workhorse" of their web stuff. I know Ruby on Rails has become quite popular recently, but I just haven't been able to convince myself to try it out. Also, what frameworks do you use as a base for your websites?

Personally I use:
PHP 5 (usually with MySQL 5 as the database)
CakePHP (www.cakephp.org) as a framework.

lord_muad_dib

lord_muad_dib

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 3,398 posts
php 5, but i stick with 4 for some critical tasks
perl
asp (yeah yeah i know, but some custumers are IIS addicted.. so...)

DBs
oracle
mysql 4, 5 doesn't work so good
postgresql
sql server (read asp...)

no frameworks...

shadowdesign

shadowdesign

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Ruby on rails.. just love it :)

John the Geek

John the Geek

When the going gets geeky...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Interests:Painting, animation, photography, Macs.
I'm a heavy PHP 5/MySQL 5 guy myself.

Tried RoR, didn't like it.

other

other

Other.

• Retired
  • 929 posts
RoR and I had a fight and it lost

php has tantrums

CakePHP and I just don't go together

I use php though :)

arthur.spooner

arthur.spooner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Rails is the future

John the Geek

John the Geek

When the going gets geeky...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Interests:Painting, animation, photography, Macs.

Rails is the future

So were the New Kids on the Block once... Thank God that ended quickly.

Rails is the equivalent of Visual Studio users pretending they are writing real code. You aren't.

I applaud anyone willing to learn Ruby, and I applaud the attempt at making web database integration easier with Rails, but the fact is that easier usually only leads to lazy programmers. I prefer to control my site's function on a granular level. Rails doesn't do anything for me in that regard.

=)

embries

embries

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

So were the New Kids on the Block once... Thank God that ended quickly.

Rails is the equivalent of Visual Studio users pretending they are writing real code. You aren't.

I applaud anyone willing to learn Ruby, and I applaud the attempt at making web database integration easier with Rails, but the fact is that easier usually only leads to lazy programmers. I prefer to control my site's function on a granular level. Rails doesn't do anything for me in that regard.

=)

Disagree thoroughly. RoR allows you the finest level of control, yet allows you to abstract or automate at your leisure. To say that you can't control even the tiniest level of the operation of your application is not true. The beauty of RoR is the process by which you can remove repetitive coding, and it's large library of built-in functions. If these aren't features to you, then you can write it all from the ground up in Ruby.

FriedCPU

FriedCPU

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
I generally use php with mysql.
Although for some things I use tcl via TCLRivet

nikongeek

nikongeek

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
I've been using PHP 4 & MySQL 4.1 for some time now. Just recently started doing projects in PHP 5 and MySQL 5. JavaScript only when absolutely needed (last resort). Never done Flash, .ASP, or any other language for web development yet.

Kiko

Kiko

You Dont Understand Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
HTML XD

x220v

x220v

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

php 5, but i stick with 4 for some critical tasks
perl
asp (yeah yeah i know, but some custumers are IIS addicted.. so...)

DBs
oracle
mysql 4, 5 doesn't work so good
postgresql
sql server (read asp...)

no frameworks...

i want to know if apache web server on mac os x86 it`s work fine.. for you, i have a 403, error, forbiden, this error it`s i don`t haver permission to view this folder,,, or something like that,, the permissions ?

jackt283

jackt283

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
XHTML and CSS. Ultimate for anyone's web layout needs.

neon_eddy

neon_eddy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
We've had the discussion at work, that ASP / microsoft technologies is the norm in the business world. So the reasoning was, we should use ASP/.NET so we could find a developer to replace another one that might leave.

Any comments?

(fyi: I completely disagree with the part about having a hard time to find a good php developer, but anyway)

AriX

AriX

InsanelyGeeky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
I LOVE PHP, it's my favorite language, and I find it almost fun to code. I usually use version 4, sometimes with MySQL 4 but I also like flat-file because it's way easier than MySQL, but with no security.

oregano

oregano

oregano!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
yeah, u sure do
maybe i should learn it (is it worth it?)

and how hard is it to learn (how long will it take?)

DeusExMac

DeusExMac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I've always been a hardline PHP guy myself, but I'm curious to see what everyone else here uses to code the "workhorse" of their web stuff. I know Ruby on Rails has become quite popular recently, but I just haven't been able to convince myself to try it out. Also, what frameworks do you use as a base for your websites?

I've just switched to MacOSX and I'm trying to run Ruby Rails on it. Do you know of any good online How-Tos on this? All the sites i have visited talk about RoR on iBook but not specifically on Tiger. Thanks.

neon_eddy

neon_eddy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
ASP is basicly VB script for the web, it works ok.. but I find the on-line community lacking, look at any script libraries, they are serverly lacking with asp scripts.

but for my neeeds it was fairly easy, just a pain in the rear to get to work well on linux and MySQL

trav1085

trav1085

ハーカー

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:Computers, hacking, system security, programming, apache, webserver, macs, pc, osx86, vista, dos...
I miss the old internet, I code in HTML. Very basic and easy. It's fast and there isn't any debugging needed.

I don't program huge sites, but it does the job. More languages and databases just makes it more prone to bugs.

sev7en

sev7en

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Interests:AIEN
Mine are: PHP/mySQL and XHTML but I was playing something in AJAX really powerful!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy