• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

jbritz22

jbritz22

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
I know there are hundreds (OK, "hundreds" is an understatement) of "Top Mac Apps" lists, and quite a few "Top Netbook Apps", but there is not a single one dedicated to apps for hackintosh netbooks. Now on this list I excluded:
  • Quicksilver simply because I don't use it, although it's popularity has piqued my curiosity.
  • Growl, handy program, but we want to limit on background processes.
  • Any dock modifying program. Now, I know lot's of netbook users like to hack the dock, but I just set mine to automatically hide, that way you get full dock functionality without sacrificing screen space.
And to put this guide into context, I'm running an eee pc 1000he with Snow Leopard 10.6.2 with 1GB of memory.

kintesh

kintesh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
xocde
firefox
Byzentean

Byzentean

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
nice list thanks

sparren

sparren

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
A Dell Mini 10v runs the following very well and consistently:

Vuse
VLC Player
Dreamweaver

In my opinion, you should keep the netbooks as light as possible application wise. You can use it as your main portable computer as long as your main purpose for using it is internet, light word processing (google docs?), and movie watching. I travel between San Diego and San Francisco a lot and it is amazing for what it is.

jermaindefoe

jermaindefoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

A Dell Mini 10v runs the following very well and consistently:

Vuse
VLC Player
Dreamweaver

In my opinion, you should keep the netbooks as light as possible application wise. You can use it as your main portable computer as long as your main purpose for using it is internet, light word processing (google docs?), and movie watching. I travel between San Diego and San Francisco a lot and it is amazing for what it is.

100% vote for xcode from me :D

zeroxcuber

zeroxcuber

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hmmm

firefox
iPhone SDK
my enGenius usb wifi app
transmission

Xa Juran

Xa Juran

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have ordered a Dell Latitude 2100 and can't wait to get it set up with OS X.

I have been wondering this very topic, however. I will need to partition my HDD for 3 OS ( OS X, Win 7, Ubuntu) and wonder how much I will be using the OS X vs. the others. I love the os itself, but haven't had too much experience with it to know if its comprehensive enough for what I will be doing.

I suppose most of what people commonly use on the netbook are productivity and social apps, and probably mainly those that are built in.

I doubt that Photoshop will be useful on a netbook, or is it? Keep those lists coming of the apps you actually use (not just those that you installed so that you can feel the pride of having it portable LOL.)

Thanks,

Xa

jwa276

jwa276

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've heard that Native Instruments' Traktor (pro DJ app) runs like butter on netbooks under osx, but have yet to try with my toshiba! I hope to soon, just can't find enough conclusive info on Toshibas n450 netbooks to make it seem like a good idea

VFR_Pilot

VFR_Pilot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Adobe CS3 Design (Trial) for occasional graphics stuff
Open Office Suite so I don't need MS Office
Suitcase Fusion, the best font management software I have come across
Wacom's support software for the Intuos3 tablet
MacFuse/NTFS-3G for read write of my Win7 partition
SwitchResX to allow 1024x768 res on a 1024x600 display

For anyone about to ask, yes, CS3 apps install and run just fine - so far. When the trial runs out I'll be thinking seriously about trying the CS4 Design suite. CS5 is out of the question as it needs a dual core processor to even install and deserves a 64 bit CPU to do it justice.

As an aside (off topic really), the Eee1005HA is quite capable of driving a 1920x1200 external monitor.

joshr676

joshr676

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I know there are hundreds (OK, "hundreds" is an understatement) of "Top Mac Apps" lists, and quite a few "Top Netbook Apps", but there is not a single one dedicated to apps for hackintosh netbooks. Now on this list I excluded:

• Quicksilver simply because I don't use it, although it's popularity has piqued my curiosity.
  • Any dock modifying program. Now, I know lot's of netbook users like to hack the dock, but I just set mine to automatically hide, that way you get full dock functionality without sacrificing screen space.
And to put this guide into context, I'm running an eee pc 1000he with Snow Leopard 10.6.2 with 1GB of memory.

I was looking at the resulutions one on this link to your blogspot.com page but the download/link to the software is broken :D can you please link me to the one I have an acer aspire one netbook aoa150. thanks

Josh

gsw953

gsw953

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I found a cool free app that autohides the top menubar and the dock when a specified app is launched.Basically opening it up it in full screen mode,great for getting a few more pixels out of a small screen
http://www.cynosurex...ware/MagicMenu/

James cuck

James cuck

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
List of Apps in order of launch :

1. Finder + Dashboard + Spaces
2. Stickies
3. Mail
4. Safari
5. Quicktime
6. iTunes
7. iPhoto
8. iMovie
9. Keynote
10. Numbers

limini

limini

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I realize this is an older thread but for the sake of keeping these os x related netbook apps in one place, I'm posting here.

I just want to mention Overflow: I've been using it for quite a while on my MBP, but it turns out to be even more handy on my netbook. It's basically dock-based launch menu you can customize as you please. Nothing really fancy but very handy providing a quick launch menu in osx . It's unfortunately not freeware; I got it in one of the Macheist bundles a while back.

bagga123

bagga123

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

i read b4 that you named an app that scales the screen for netbooks on mac
i am on 1024 x 600 this is somewhat small and incompatible with some apps

please can you link me up with that app for scaling resolution

thanks

limini

limini

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

i read b4 that you named an app that scales the screen for netbooks on mac
i am on 1024 x 600 this is somewhat small and incompatible with some apps

please can you link me up with that app for scaling resolution

thanks

Try this. :unsure:

berchielli

berchielli

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Try this. :gun:

This just change the Finder resolution? I manage only to change only th Finder windows resolution....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy