[GUIDE] Asus Rampage II Extreme Hackintosh

Thursdayy

12 posts in this topic

I will guide you through my installation of installing Snow Leopard on this motherboard.

What you will need:

A working mac (either a real one or a distro one)

8gb+ USB Flash Drive

2 hours of time

Steps:

1. Format your USB Flash Drive via Disk Utility using a working Mac. Format using GUID Partition Table and Mac OS X Journaled

2. Make an image of your Snow Leopard Retail CD and restore it to your USB Flash Drive via Disk Utility

3. Install Chameleon RC4 on your USB Flash Drive

4. Now we need to mount the EFI partition that is created when you formatted your USB Flash Drive.

To do this do the following in Terminal:

a) mkdir /Volumes/EFI

;) determine what is your disk number via diskutil list

:) type: diskutil list [in terminal]

c) get your disk number of the EFI partition on your USB flash drive (mine was disk1s1) [yours should be diskXs1, where X is the number of your flash drive]

d) mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

e) you should see an EFI mount on your desktop, open this and created the /Extra/Extensions folder

f) load the following kexts: fakesmc.kext and your video card kext (I used NVInject.kext for NVidia 6600 LE)

g) unmount by typing umount /Volumes/EFI in terminal

4. Now plug your USB to the back of the motherboard, DO NOT USE USB Hubs because it may or may not work.

5. Before installing, go to Utilities > Disk Utility and partition your hard drive to GUID Partition and Mac OS X Journaled

6. Exit Disk Utility and continue with installation.

7. If all goes well your installation should restart and you should be back to the Chameleon bootloader.

8. Now instead of running via the USB, run from the hard drive you have installed SL on.

9. You should be greeted with the Welcome screen and your OS X should be running.

10. Now install chameleon to your hard drive that SL is installed

11. Load these kexts: IONetworkingFamily.kext, AD2000b.kext, and HDAEnabler.kext to have your networking and audio working.

This is what I got to get my Snow Leopard working. The only problems I am having is a finicky shutdown, restart, and sometimes manual sleep.

Also, MY BIGGEST PET PEEVE and I would need help for this is that I have a Black Magic Intensity Pro card and I installed it to my PCI-E x1 Lane. I downloaded the drivers from the blackmagic-design.com/support website and it seems that my Snow Leopard can't recognize any PCI Cards installed except my graphics card and audio card. Any help on this would be appreciated. I would assume it has something to do with DSDT or plist file. I have been trying to read up on it but it seems like everyone else has not complained about this.

Side notes:

I will be more specific if these instructions are to vague for some of you (example: installing chameleon, there are a lot of topics out there, therefore I won't waste my time retyping it)

Computer specs:

ASUS Rampage II Extreme

Intel Core i7 920

12GB 1066mhz RAM

1TB HD - Snow Leopard

750 GB HD - Back up (media files mostly)

4x1.5TB SoftRaid = 6TB total

Here are links to some of the kexts I have mentioned above:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=191495 - IONetworkingFamily.kext - install to S/L/E

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=55370 - HDAEnabler.kext and A200b.kext Install to S/L/E

The rest can be found from http://www.kexts.com

I will guide you through my installation of installing Snow Leopard on this motherboard.

What you will need:

A working mac (either a real one or a distro one)

8gb+ USB Flash Drive

2 hours of time

Steps:

1. Format your USB Flash Drive via Disk Utility using a working Mac. Format using GUID Partition Table and Mac OS X Journaled

2. Make an image of your Snow Leopard Retail CD and restore it to your USB Flash Drive via Disk Utility

3. Install Chameleon RC4 on your USB Flash Drive

4. Now we need to mount the EFI partition that is created when you formatted your USB Flash Drive.

To do this do the following in Terminal:

a) mkdir /Volumes/EFI

:) determine what is your disk number via diskutil list

;) type: diskutil list [in terminal]

c) get your disk number of the EFI partition on your USB flash drive (mine was disk1s1) [yours should be diskXs1, where X is the number of your flash drive]

d) mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

e) you should see an EFI mount on your desktop, open this and created the /Extra/Extensions folder

f) load the following kexts: fakesmc.kext and your video card kext (I used NVInject.kext for NVidia 6600 LE)

g) unmount by typing umount /Volumes/EFI in terminal

4. Now plug your USB to the back of the motherboard, DO NOT USE USB Hubs because it may or may not work.

5. Before installing, go to Utilities > Disk Utility and partition your hard drive to GUID Partition and Mac OS X Journaled

6. Exit Disk Utility and continue with installation.

7. If all goes well your installation should restart and you should be back to the Chameleon bootloader.

8. Now instead of running via the USB, run from the hard drive you have installed SL on.

9. You should be greeted with the Welcome screen and your OS X should be running.

10. Now install chameleon to your hard drive that SL is installed

11. Load these kexts: IONetworkingFamily.kext, AD2000b.kext, and HDAEnabler.kext to have your networking and audio working.

This is what I got to get my Snow Leopard working. The only problems I am having is a finicky shutdown, restart, and sometimes manual sleep.

Also, MY BIGGEST PET PEEVE and I would need help for this is that I have a Black Magic Intensity Pro card and I installed it to my PCI-E x1 Lane. I downloaded the drivers from the blackmagic-design.com/support website and it seems that my Snow Leopard can't recognize any PCI Cards installed except my graphics card and audio card. Any help on this would be appreciated. I would assume it has something to do with DSDT or plist file. I have been trying to read up on it but it seems like everyone else has not complained about this.

Side notes:

I will be more specific if these instructions are to vague for some of you (example: installing chameleon, there are a lot of topics out there, therefore I won't waste my time retyping it)

Computer specs:

ASUS Rampage II Extreme

Intel Core i7 920

12GB 1066mhz RAM

1TB HD - Snow Leopard

750 GB HD - Back up (media files mostly)

4x1.5TB SoftRaid = 6TB total

Here are links to some of the kexts I have mentioned above:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=191495 - IONetworkingFamily.kext - install to S/L/E

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=55370 - HDAEnabler.kext and A200b.kext Install to S/L/E

The rest can be found from http://www.kexts.com

thank you so much to write this tutorial...i have wait for a tutotial over half an year...But I have some questions?Don't you use a DSDT file? if yes,could you can upload pls? What Bios I need? Have i to configure my Bios to install SL ? Sry for that Questions but im a totaly noob and sry for my bad english

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am new to the hackintosh scene and would be greatfull for any help. I have tried the Lifehacker USB method with no luck. and your post is the only one i have found that has reported success with the rampage 2 extreme mb. my system specs are I7 940 2.93 cpu Rampage 2 Extreme mb 12gigs of ram 1 tb HD and a 320 gb HD Nvidia Geforce 295 Graphics card. If you know of any threads or any info that can help me out i would greatly appreciate it i have been trying to get Snow leopard on my second drive so i can dual boot 7 and snow leopard but no luck.

Thank you,

Hi, this is a nice tutorial.

For me its not work at the time. My config is the same but anything goes wrong...

I have at the moment an 4870x2 card.(next time coming an Gtx480)

Im continue trying to install an succesfull install, my problem is it hangs on "ECHI...."

If someone can give me one resolution.

hello Marucins,

Thank you very much for the guide just have one quick question can i use my second drive for the snowleopard install and just have win 7 on my other drive or do both OS's have to be on the same drive?? Also i do not have a working osx install on my pc so how do i go about making the Extensions.mkext file if im doing the terminal work on a real mac?? stuck at that point it keeps say that all my kexts are not authentic so im assuming that it is saying this because the Mac im using does not have those Components??

Thanks again for the info

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
There hasn't been a post on this motherboard in a while, can anyone tell me what's still not functioning correctly in 10.6.5?

I have an Asus rampage II extreme with 12GB OCZ 1600 platinum and with the 10.6.4 64-bit my system worked well but after the update to the 10.6.5 I have lost the sound and the system crashes in shutdown and restart.

Someone could help me? what I should to do?

Thanks for your help !

Andrea

Italy

• 5 months later...