FakeSMC 2.5 for Snow Leopard, Leopard, Tiger 10.4.11

43 posts in this topic

You can probably see that I've repaired permissions and ownership. And even tried loading it from Leopard. But no Success:

Personally I don't load it out of .mkext, so try packing like u know, reboot and if this works.

Greetz

To make things clear...

Leopard version of fakesmc on this thread will load when using vanilla kernel. It will NOT load when using Voodoo Kernel.

This has something to do during compilation.

To make things clear...

Leopard version of fakesmc on this thread will load when using vanilla kernel. It will NOT load when using Voodoo Kernel.

This has something to do during compilation.

Thanks rals2007. However....

I tried installing it Yesterday. No success.

To get it working I even upgraded my BlackCH XxX 10.5.6 with AnVXnU 9.8.0 kernel

to 10.5.8 combo update using Vanilla kernel 9.8.0 kernel.

So now my machine is running native Vanilla 9.8.0 kernel.

Everything works perfectly except the Audio! It broke. As promised.

Anything you know why the new fakesmc.kext doesn't load in my Leopard install?

Regards,

Freaky Chokra ;)

Thanks rals2007. However....

I tried installing it Yesterday. No success.

To get it working I even upgraded my BlackCH XxX 10.5.6 with AnVXnU 9.8.0 kernel

to 10.5.8 combo update using Vanilla kernel 9.8.0 kernel.

So now my machine is running native Vanilla 9.8.0 kernel.

Everything works perfectly except the Audio! It broke. As promised.

Anything you know why the new fakesmc.kext doesn't load in my Leopard install?

Regards,

Freaky Chokra ;)

Sorry for the confusion.. I double checkd it, Leopard's fakesmc is really not loading. As I said, this has something to do during the compilation.

What I did is, installed Netkas latest and used the Info.plist of the borked leopard version of fakesmc on this thread.

As of now, there is no way to load it as it is borked.

3]

I don't know why or how, but when using the previous fakesmc.kext v2.1, i used to get iStat menu's CPU temperature reports for both the cores of my Core2Duo@ 30-34 degrees Centigrade. (see my signature for specs)

But, now they report at a steady 40-42 degrees centigrade.

However, I find these figures to be much closer to those viewed in the BIOS section, which hovers around 59-60 degrees Centigrade.

And, about 43-45 Centigrade, in Windows using the ASUS PC Probe software, with no other applications loaded.

Check your Tjmax value in plists of 2.1 and 2.5

Check your Tjmax value in plists of 2.1 and 2.5

They are "100", as they are supposed to be for Intel Core 2 Duo Processors.

I have checked both the new (2.5) and the old (2.1) Fakesmc.kext files.

There is a bit difference in performance and the way iStat Menus or even Hardware Monitor or even Temperature Monitor (full as well as Lite edition) report the core CPU temperature.

Furthermore, These figures are much closer to what Windows Apps post. So I can confirm.

However, ASUS BIOS can't be trusted. At least after so many years of using since Intel 845 chipset ASUS mobos.

Their BIOS always read and post higher values than even those you could measure using a Clinical Thermometer!

Trust me, I've even done that to verify a couple of times. Especially since I incorporated the newer SpeedStep and Sleep capabilities.

Even directly touching the Heatsink feels only a bit warmer @ about 42-45 Degrees Celsius.

[Right now, as I'm posting this, the CPU Temperature is steady @ 37 Degree C.]

:( So I know that it's running A-OK. Now, at least I can sleep at night in peace! :)

Just could confirm that reading twice if the newer version could be working in Leopard 10.5.8.

Which doesn't load as confirmed by few rals2007.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :unsure:

Same happens with me

Don't know if i should post here, but i have an asus m4a785td-v evo mobo, and after the latest bios update v2005 which supports 6 core phenoms i can't load 10.6.3 (( it hangs right after loading fakesmc without any message...

ps. new features in bios are ACPI SRAT Table (En/Dis) and Probe Filter (Auto/Dis/MP)

pps. or it is because of an old cpu power management :wallbash:

anyone?

There doesn't seem to be any differences in the sources you posted vs netkas fakesmc2.5. The binaries(I'm using snow), ....MacOS/fakesmc are much different in size though.

did u add sms0 device to dsdt with original one from netkas? did it work?

Greetz,

did u add sms0 device to dsdt with original one from netkas? did it work?

Greetz,

I was just interested in the changes he made to the source code. The zip file he posted doesn't appear to contain any except for the added keys to the Info.plist

I was just interested in the changes he made to the source code. The zip file he posted doesn't appear to contain any except for the added keys to the Info.plist

Sources aren't different from Netkas his.

I just indeed added the keys and also with updated 10.4.11 SDK made one for Tiger

Sources aren't different from Netkas his.

I just indeed added the keys and also with updated 10.4.11 SDK made one for Tiger

OK, thanks. I assumed there were other changes because the binary in .../MacOS/fakesmc was different in size, but maybe one was a debug build.

• 3 weeks later...
Would it be possible to get fakesmc to pass fan speeds and such? If so how would you go about that?

Well,there is nice development going on with FakeSMC kext.Slice and others have joined hands and are working collectively and have added these plugins :

IntelThermal – Intel CPU temperature monitoring.

LPCMonitor – temperatures and fans from ITE, Winbond and Fintek controllers.

TZplugin – temperature from ACPI device “Thermal Zone”

Since i cant post other links,you can check netkas website and the link there to get more details.

@Andy

Thanks alot.Yours kext works perfectly.

Andy maybe you should also have a look at the new development going on with FakesSMC and we will have more good kexts as a result :rolleyes:

Thanks again for your hard work.

Just Checking out the Snow Leopard FakeSMC.kext Build 110.

Will post the results upon rebooting.

But great thanks for the update. Just I don't get email updates from that site like I get from InsanelyMac.

But aliasa_anderson, Thanks nevertheless!

Regards,

Freaky Chorka :(

Just out of curiosity... fakesmc 2.5 always gives me a kernel panic when i try to check the temperatures on my amd so I've been using a very old version, anyone have any idea how to correct this so i can accurately read the temps on my amd, I guess I'll just download the source and disable it for the moment though.

Just out of curiosity... fakesmc 2.5 always gives me a kernel panic when i try to check the temperatures on my amd so I've been using a very old version, anyone have any idea how to correct this so i can accurately read the temps on my amd, I guess I'll just download the source and disable it for the moment though.

how are we supposed to help you? all you gave of your system specs was "my amd"...

how are we supposed to help you? all you gave of your system specs was "my amd"...

Whops, so sorry, I'm running osx 10.6.3 with BK's kernel with a amd phenom II x4 945 amd on a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P using APPLEATIata.kext

Anyhow by removing some code with a shovel(yes this was dirty) it doesn't crash when i open iStat anymore.

from IOACPIPlatformDeviceCh.cpp :

inline void IntelThermal(void * magic)
{

}

It does however report a bogus temp in iStat saying cpu a and b is 100c which i don't really mind if there are other advantages running 2.5 over older releases .

Anyhow, if anyone has any idea how to make it read temperatures from other chipsets I would greatly appreciate if someone gave me a push in the right direction, i don't even know where to look.