[GUIDE] Installing Snow Leopard on ASUS K50IN notebook

Buhgalter

25 posts in this topic

ASUS-K50IN/K40IN-BootCD v2

Burning ASUS-K50IN-BootCD:

1. Download ASUS-K50IN-BootCD. If you downloaded the compressed zip file (Boot CD v1) you will need to decompress or "unzip" it. If necessary, download and install your choice of CD burning program (it needs to be capable of burning ISO files.)

2. Open the ASUS-K50IN-BootCD ISO in the burning application, insert a blank CD or DVD into the drive, and begin the burn process. When it is finished, you can eject the disc or keep it in the DVD drive if it is the same as the one you will be booting from.

Boot the Retail DVD:

When the bootloader ask you for rescan, press ENTER.

Go to boot options (f8), Swap disks, then press F5 to rescan drive. When the name of the DVD appears, press ENTER.

To Install Mac OS X:

1. Eject ASUS-K50IN-BootCD

2. Insert Mac OS X Install DVD

3. Press F5 (or Function+F5)

4. Select Mac OS X Install DVD and Press Enter

Installing Mac OS X:

1. The Apple logo, then a spinning wheel, will appear. (If the spinning wheel does not appear after two minutes, try power cycling the netbook and booting again. Otherwise, check the Troubleshooting guide.)

2. Once loaded, select your language and press Continue. (Press Enter on your keyboard if you can't see the Continue button.)

3. Press Continue on the Welcome screen, then press Agree on the next screen.

4. Go to Menu Bar>Utilities>Disk Utility....

5. Select the icon for the internal drive.

6. Go to the Partition tab. Configure:

- Volume Scheme: 1 Partition

- Name: <Any name without a space in it.>

- Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

- Options...: GUID Partition Table, press OK.

7. Press Apply, then Partition. When it is finished, close Disk Utility.

8. Select your newly-formatted drive as the installation destination.

9. Press the Customize button, deselect any feature(s) you do not need:

- Additional Fonts - These are only needed for specific languages with special characters.

- Language Translations - These are to translate the OS into different languages.

- Printer Support - Usually you can find an updated driver for your printer on the Internet, but this can be helpful if you use multiple printers besides your own.

- X11 - You need this if you are going to use GIMP or CrossOver.

- Rosetta - Rosetta allows you to run applications that were only designed to work on PowerPC-baed Macs (pre-10.4), it's small so it won't hurt to install just in case.

- QuickTime 7 - Useful if you need to watch QuickTime movies that are encoded in older formats.

10. Press OK, then press Install. Installation can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours depending on the condition of the DVD disc, speed of the DVD drive and the amount of items you selected.

11. Installation will probably get to the end and report that it has failed (although sometimes it says it is successful, your results may vary.) Again, this is normal, just press Restart.

UPDATE: New version 2 is available with new features and no bugs!

ChangeLog of version 2:

1) A touchpad is working during the installation and when the system starts with bootCD (ApplePS2Controller.kext compiled special for Elan Ps/2 Port Smart-Pad by Rus).

2) Corrected info.plist in HPETDevice.kext for better compatibility

3) Included a folder of Tools (Kext Utillity, Show-Hide Files tool, Chameleonv2RC4.pkg by Dr.Hurt).

4) Included a folder of Kexts - all the necessary drivers

ChangeLog of version 1.1:

1) touchpad is working(VoodooPS2) during the installation and when the system starts with bootCD

2) disabled graphic enabler and added NVEnabler x64 ...

3) now the sound (ALC662) works from bootCD

4) you get almost fully functional system is already at the first run

© Buhgalter

NVEnabler_64.kext.zip

IOAudioFamily.kext.zip

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext.zip

HDAEnabler.kext.zip

AppleALC662.kext.zip

HPETDevice.kext.zip

PlatformUUID.kext.zip

ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip

ASUS_K50IN_BootCD.zip

Hey guys.

I am new to this forum. Have been looking around recently as I'm thinking of purchasing a Hackintosh laptop.

@Buhgalter: Thanks for this info. The Asus looks like exactly the sort of machine I am after. A good mix of price and performance until I have a bit more to spend in the future.

@all: I have been searching around for the K50IN and have come accross this: K50IN-SX025C

http://greatdigitalart.com/index.php?dispa...product_id=1310

I can see that the graphics card is the same but the chipset appears to be different and so does the CPU.

Does anyone have any experience with this laptop? I wasn't sure if the attached files for this post and the bootcd were generic for any K50IN or if there are other files needed?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ellnic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

hello, i'm new here and new to the "Installation of Mac OS X to PC thing", but i'm a programmer and a bit computer technician, so i guess i could easily tag a long with this. the reason i needed to install mac is because i need to test the websites i made on both windows and mac for compatibility issues, and also the challenge of making it run on PC.. :)

i have my first sets of questions so i hope someone could answer this, my laptop was an Asus K40IN, thats why i stumbled on to this guide..

here are my questions:

1. it is said here that this guide uses "Retail Installation". Retail Installation means it is the Retail DVD installer that come from apple, or the one from OSx86 with?

2. if it was based from the Retail DVD from apple, are the drivers or i think the kext things for my laptop are already included in the installer?

3. are there any bugs encountered upon installation in K50IN? like not working wifi or video card issues?

4. i have a pre installed vista and windows 7 on my laptop, will i still be able to install mac OS X on another partition without bothering the other 2 OS?

thanks in advance for answering my questions, if there are dummies guide for installing snow leopard on Asus K50/K40-IN, please guide mo on to the link..

Thank you,

-Xiao

hello, i'm new here and new to the "Installation of Mac OS X to PC thing", but i'm a programmer and a bit computer technician, so i guess i could easily tag a long with this. the reason i needed to install mac is because i need to test the websites i made on both windows and mac for compatibility issues, and also the challenge of making it run on PC.. :censored2:

i have my first sets of questions so i hope someone could answer this, my laptop was an Asus K40IN, thats why i stumbled on to this guide..

here are my questions:

1. it is said here that this guide uses "Retail Installation". Retail Installation means it is the Retail DVD installer that come from apple, or the one from OSx86 with?

2. if it was based from the Retail DVD from apple, are the drivers or i think the kext things for my laptop are already included in the installer?

3. are there any bugs encountered upon installation in K50IN? like not working wifi or video card issues?

4. i have a pre installed vista and windows 7 on my laptop, will i still be able to install mac OS X on another partition without bothering the other 2 OS?

thanks in advance for answering my questions, if there are dummies guide for installing snow leopard on Asus K50/K40-IN, please guide mo on to the link..

Thank you,

-Xiao

1. It means the Retail DVD that came from Apple, not any of those distros you can find over the net (Kalyway, iDeneb etc.)

2. No, but the custom bootloader has all the kexts for K50IN... well... besides of wifi adapter kext since it doesn't exist (you need to swap it... for example with Broadcom BCM4321KFBG chipset like I did).

3. Look up :lol: About video card issues - some people claim that VGA out doesn't work... on the other hand - there are people who succeed in getting it to work properly.

4. I unfortunately cannot answer this question, maybe someone else will :dev:

Look also here: http://osx86.net/f47/asus-k50in-t4409/

Greetz,

Jakub

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I have been trying to istall Macosx on my Asus K40IN laptop for the past week. I have yet succeed. I have tried many ways such as the ipc installer the EFi installer and finally im really trying to get it up and running with this method here.

When I boot using the V2 loader I get in to the boot screen I swap disks and press F5 as mentioned in the original post. Then the pc starts to read the snow disk, with a list of errors on the side of the window. It will then finally show the installer disk where next I should press enter. I am bothered with the error list I receive is there something wrong with the V2 boot loader I have.

Innitially I tried using a friends original macosx cd to install. It started to read and seem like it was about to install, but just hangs with all these errors listed. So we downloaded a snow torrent hoping that it would work then came the "still waiting for boot device" if im not mistaken. nothing ever happend after that.

Please , PLease if someone could explain to me how I should go about these problems. I'm Sure it can work because I did manage to get osx installed with using the IPC, but got caught when it asked for a usb mouse and keyboard. Where am I going wrong? and do I have to extraxt all the kext in the bootloader V2 in order to boot up correctly?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

• 2 months later...

Hi!

I have a ASUS X5DIN-SX207C - Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 - 15,6" - 6GB DDR2 SDRAM - 500GB HDD - Nvidia MCP75L Chipset - Nvidia G102M 512MB and I could not install osx through the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] cause I have more than 4GB of RAM, will it be like this boot?

Windows7 also need to have installed, what operating system I install first?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys i need help im using a K40IN laptop and booting the mac os x retail 10.6

i first boot the K40IN disc and switch it with mac os then i got this error of waiting for root device i have tried to change my IDE to enhanced and still got the same error i even try to boot many times still the error exist what should i do ??i want to install the mac on my laptop please help me

• 1 month later...

The same thing here... I tried... everything... at some point started the installer with Single User Mode... but after a "succesful" install i got a system hang:( the last lines are:

BSD root: disk1s1s2, major 14, minor 6

devfs_kernel_mount: fa

fa is unfinished form of "failed"... but it's only "fa" and nothing more....

at some point i managed to boot it with single user and got the MAC OS Working... then update to 10.6.4 and that was my last minute on Mac OS X... after that only errors with the installed retail 10.6.0 ... STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE Error...

after booting with CPUS=1 i got :

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: intializtion complete

SerialATAPI device recongiguration did not complete successfully. (failedCommandInfo = 0x1)

SerialATAPI device recongiguration did not complete successfully. (failedCommandInfo = 0x1) SerialATAPI device recongiguration did not complete successfully. (failedCommandInfo = 0x2) etc...

SerialATAPI Terminating due to unrecoverable Reset Error - drive has stopped responding

two days - no success with the retail OS X Install and i intend to try some other ways... patching or anything... can you suggest something please!!! thank you!

• 8 months later...

hi i'm trying to install in my asus k50in, but getting "Still waiting for root device" after "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete", i ve try to change my bios to use enhanced, but nothing,..just a question, when and where i must type -v cpus=1 than enter? tnx

*UPDATE

I ve tried with -v cpus=1 but nothing, last things to try is to set in bios:

1.. ATA /IDE : NATIVE 2..CONFIGURE SATA : AHCI

3.. S.M.A.R.T : ENABLE

but in my bios i don't founds these! Does someone know why?

• 3 months later...

Hi men ! I have been still your guide and I installed snow leopard retail and Win 7 (double boot), several times. But only I can start from the AsusK50inCDboot V2. I tried of installing Chameleonv2RC4.pkg by Dr.Hurt from cd boot folder but without success. What must I do? Can you help me? any idea

Thanks !

I solved it ! Thanks

Asus X5Din working to 80 %

Without audio and wifi for now

Hi men ! I have been still your guide and I installed snow leopard retail and Win 7 (double boot), several times. But only I can start from the AsusK50inCDboot V2. I tried of installing Chameleonv2RC4.pkg by Dr.Hurt from cd boot folder but without success. What must I do? Can you help me? any idea

Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...

hello guys,

i tried to install K40IN with HSL 10.6.6 the installation was succesfull, but after reboot it stuck, when i choose -v cpus=2

just the sound i heard but still stuck, (i forgot to take picture on process)

so, i will try to use this method, in this method, should i update the bios? my current bios is 2.0

thx

interested in trying this guide too, have the boot cd ready. one thing i am confused about is that many ppl mention bios version 2.0 but my updated bios says version 223. hope that is still ok. looking forward to trying this!

• 3 months later...

managed to get to the osx installation screen where the language is selected using hackinstaller script and usb flash drive, but after selecting english, the installer fails with a dialog about a problem reading the Mac OSX Installation Disk, the installer log shows:

Opening OSInstall package '/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg'.

PFPackage::packageWithURL - can't instantiate package: /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

Couldn't verify Mac OS X (Server) Install media.

is there a fix for OSInstall.mpkg i need to do?

Edited by ssuuki9

• 3 weeks later...

• so what doesn't work is: sleep/wake (maybe sleep works, wake doesn't), shutdown not unmounting 2 drives, and built in mic (alc269?) with monitored feedback loop using voodoo (muting input gain and monitor input levels for now every bootup they are turned up)
  • camera upside down

• 6 years later...

Hello guys. I have the same notebook K50IN. im trying to install any Mac Os begin from 10.6.3 up to 10.12.x but it no work. also try to install 10.6.6i by Hazard. not work graphics card. i have read a forums about it. idk what i did wrong. if any1 has a wish to help, welcome pls. i have no sleep last week at normaly ((