G5 to ATX Front I/O Cables

enjoyfebruary

540 posts in this topic

Wish you would respond to my PMs Aloha.

Anyway, so a few posts up I mentioned that I wasn't getting any audio out of my front jack. I did multiple kext things but still came up empty handed. What this told me was that it could not be software based. I followed this thread from tonymac http://www.tonymacx8...hp?f=16&t=26486 and when I installed that kext I was able to see "Headphones" in my system prefs>sound.

I also found a G5 mod on a blog by celso martinho http://arrifana.org/...osh-2/#comments who made his own front panel cable. He experienced audio issues as well and when I noticed his plug, it looked different than Aloha's.

Try and stay with me, I'm describing this in layman's terms. The plug that fits into the motherboard for audio has cables at holes 2,5,9 and 10. Celso's cable has 2,5,9 but a cable running from 7 TO 10.

I ordered some wires/connectors from polulu and was able to make this connection myself. I removed the #10 female cable and replaced it with 2 females ( 7 to 10), installed it and then did the kext modification and BOOM! I now have audio.

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 mobo, if that means anything.

This is the photo that I used for reference. I also did much checking in my gigabyte manual. Hope this helps.

web.jpg?ver=13201874350001

• Like 1

Sharky311, I'm glad you got it fixed! I thought I did respond to you with information that was given to me by another member. I just make the cable and am not trying to present myself as an expert. I have followed the pinout that has been widely used on this forum and have had only one member respond with the same problem. I have no problem making this change to my cable, but I don't think it is a universal issue. I'm not sure if it's a motherboard specific issue, but I'm sure everyone appreciates you posting the information to make it work.

• Like 1

Kevin, depends on how you want it shipped and where your location is. Here's the info you need:

Prices are:

$35+$4 s/h US

$35+$7 s/h Priority Mail US

$35+$16 s/h Fedex (tracking)

$35+$18 s/h international (Includes Canada)

ADD $2 additional shipping per cable for multiple cable orders.

The cable came in and it is a very well built! The USB / Firewire / Power is all good. The only issue I've been having is front panel audio. I'm on a Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3. I'm going to try a jumper as suggested by Sharky311 and will post my results.