G5 to ATX Front I/O Cables

enjoyfebruary

540 posts in this topic

Do not send cable requests to EnjoyFebruary (They will not be answered).

Please go to www.g5cable.com to purchase. 

These cables let you hook up the front I/O connectors of the PowerMac G5 case to standard ATX motherboard headers. The cable includes connections for USB, Firewire 400, Headphones, PWR button and PWR Led. Thanks for viewing this topic. Take care, Dan.

"Will this cable work for my case?" - This cable will only work for Apple PowerMac G5 cases with a single ethernet port.
"How do I hookup the cable if I do not have firewire?" - If you don't have firewire built into your motherboard the best option in my opinion is to buy the Dell Adaptec (Agere Chipset) Firewire 400 PCI card. You can find these on eBay for around $9. Totally worth it and it saves me explaining how to create a work around :) . Trust me, it's easier this way AND you get firewire!

post-253180-1281805007_thumb.jpgpost-253180-1281805059_thumb.jpgpost-253180-1281805081_thumb.jpg

Edited by enjoyfebruary
  • Like 3

Will this work with a G4? I have a G4 Case + Power buttons with a G41M-ES2L that I need to hook the power buttons up to.

Thanks,

Ollie

Hey Ollie. The cables I'm making wont be compatible with a G3/G4 case. What G4 case do you have? If it is a "Graphite" G4 I have a G3 button board that will probably work. I've built my own G4 hack and I just soldered leads straight off of each component. Works perfect for me. Just let me know and i'll see what I can do for you. Thanks. Dan.

Hey Ollie. The cables I'm making wont be compatible with a G3/G4 case. What G4 case do you have? If it is a "Graphite" G4 I have a G3 button board that will probably work. I've built my own G4 hack and I just soldered leads straight off of each component. Works perfect for me. Just let me know and i'll see what I can do for you. Thanks. Dan.

I want one.

IMPORTANT - Please Read - If you want a cable please PM me with the subject as "Request - G5 I/O Cable" Do not post requests in this thread. Cables will be available March 10th 2010. Thank you.

I'm sourcing parts to make a bunch of G5 Front Panel I/O Cables so I want to know a rough estimate of how many connectors I should order. PM me with the subject as "Request - G5 I/O Cable" and let me know if you want one. This thread is for conversation and not a place to request a cable. It will simply plug right into the 18pin header on the circuit board and have individual pins for LED, and Power and 2 10pin header connections for 1394a, and audio and a 5pin connector for USB. I'm not gonna charge much more than the parts which is looking to be like 20-25 bucks. Once I confirm that i've sourced the right stuff I'll lock down the price plus shipping. Take care.

Dan

DSCF3616.jpg

** Update 2009-02-12 **

Ok so new update. I'm changing the design of the cable a little from one solid cable to 19 individual wires that'll be wrapped in a nice black wrap. I made a little mock up yesterday and it looks really good. This solves the issue of the +25v Firewire pin in an easy way. Also got a couple of ideas of how to address the LED, PWR Button grounding thing. So we'll see how that goes once I get the new connector. I know the March 10th date is a little far off but I wanted to give myself ample amount of time to get these things perfect. So please be patient. Thanks everyone! Dan

so how is this getting along? I'd order one today as long as you ship to the uk and have a paypal account. So will it have standard atx headers for pwr led, USB,audio and firewire? Or will it be basicly a long version of the front panel cable? As I managed to kill mine yesterday trying to wire mine up.

so how is this getting along? I'd order one today as long as you ship to the uk and have a paypal account. So will it have standard atx headers for pwr led, USB,audio and firewire? Or will it be basicly a long version of the front panel cable? As I managed to kill mine yesterday trying to wire mine up.

Hey there. Yeah I definitely plan on shipping to the UK. The cable will have the Apple 18pin connector on one end and the standard ATX connections at the other. Take care! Dan.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...