Guide: Intel DG33TL | Retail Snow Leopard | USB Method

not4you2

45 posts in this topic

Does any one have the same config.. who has installed Snow Leopard 64bit post your instructions here to have enable the graphic card..

######################################

My Hardware

DG33TL

Core 2 Quad Q6600

Nvidia 7100GS 128MB

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x016a

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

shyampac, your problems sound familiar. having a non standard video card is a gear, but with a little patience and trial and error i'm sure you'll get it right. check this thread.

http://www.infinitemac.com/f7/list-of-nvid...-leopard-t4385/

they seem to say your card will work in leopard. i bet you need to modify the video kexts and or your boot.plist, as described in my post.

good luck

well i guess i broke out the champagne a little early. but it sure was sweet to see SL in high res on my screen after living for months with safe boots. (.e. getting the ATI 4670 graphics card working)

still a couple of major issues for which i could use some help:

1. multiple partitions/external drive/boot problems: i did all my trial and error SL installs, including the last couple where i finally had it right, and celebrated a bit prematurely, on an external HD connected via USB. multiple partitions (3 in all) worked fine when the HD was connected by USB, and no problems booting to SL on the external drive. in fact i cloned the old Leopard HD to one of the partitions on my new SL HD (using Super Duper! freeware, worked great) and could boot to either SL or Leopard. that was cool. I then put the HD inside my case, replacing the old Leopard HD. Once the HD was inside my case it quit booting. no dual boot from windows using EasyBCD (kept getting chain boot error), could not even boot from the HD when i set it as the first boot drive in bios. the only way to boot SL or Leopard was via an external USB stick with chameleon on it. I reinstalled SL to the SL (first) partition, to no avail. i finally had to wipe the SL drive clean, delete all partitions, and repartition as only one partition. after that it works fine i.e. it boots to its own chameleon boot loader, without an external usb stick. wierd.

2. dual boot problems: i cannot dual boot from windows boot manager using EasyBCD, like i used to with vista. i get a variety of error messages, and finally just deleted the Mac entry in easybcd and uninstalled the program (after a couple boots to windows from chameleon easybcd started going haywire anyway). the only way to dual boot is to use not4you2's method, and boot to the SL HD, and then use chameleon to boot SL or Win7. What i don't like is chameleon presents every single HD partition as a boot option (and i have alot of them), even though most are not bootable drives. Interestingly, chameleon spots a partition that is invisible to me called "windows ntfs" which looks like a hidden system file partition created by windows when i (re) installed windows 7. i have to boot to that partition to boot windows. if i boot from chameleon to the windows7 partition i get a no boot manager error msg.

other than that both OS's are working fine. OSX may be a tad slicker than win7 but not much. would like to get this dual boot issue resolved, i don't like booting into chameleon every time. there is no way to configure it: chameleon shows all of my hd and there is no timeout for booting a default boot partition (nor as far as i can tell any way to set the default boot partition, it seems to be SL by default).

cheers

ps am wondering what would happen if i reinstalled everything and then installed windows via boot camp? that is a pretty slick dual boot manager and i recall you can set whatever OS you want as default.

Thank you for the reply!!..

I have it boot fine with no issues...

when i use the 64bit Nvidiaenabler from the above post.. at the boot it says it recognized the graphic card , attached is the screenshot.. will not pass this screen.. will stay here for ever...

img00007201002220034.jpg

If i remove the Nvidienabler 64bit kext..

am able to by pass the screen and boot successful into snow leopard...

Could some one help me.. am almost there...

Should i Edit the Device ID in the info.plist ??

For both the files NVDAResman.kext and NVDANVX0hal.kext ??

Or do you think its already there ??

My Device ID is as below

Type:	GPU
 Bus:	PCIe
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	256 MB
 Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
 Device ID:	0x016a
 Revision ID:	0x00a1
 Displays:
Display:
 Resolution:	1024 x 768
 Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes

IF i need to edit, the info.plist.. please guide me :P

Thanks a million to all the posters...

if you can boot fine into SL without the nvenabler then just remove it. be sure to fix permissions after you move it to trash. i think the idea of these funny kexts is to let you use hardware that is not otherwise supported. the thread i cited in my previous reply seems to say your card is supported in SL. bottom line is stay as vanilla as you can. íf you don't need non vanilla kexts don't install them.

\

chameleon shows all of my hd and there is no timeout for booting a default boot partition (nor as far as i can tell any way to set the default boot partition, it seems to be SL by default).

cheers

ps am wondering what would happen if i reinstalled everything and then installed windows via boot camp? that is a pretty slick dual boot manager and i recall you can set whatever OS you want as default.

you need to go learn how to edit your boot file for chameleon to do exactly what you want

its not to hard ill post instructions later but you can find how to do it if you search around

i would not recommend using boot camp unless you are on a real mac

you need to go learn how to edit your boot file for chameleon to do exactly what you want

its not to hard ill post instructions later but you can find how to do it if you search around

i would not recommend using boot camp unless you are on a real mac

Editi: added

Set a default Hard Drive with Chameleon

1. First open Disk Utility
  2. Right click on the partition you wish you make default and Select Info
  3. Take note of the Disk Identifier (IE: disk0s2)
  4. Edit the boot file
  5. Path to file is: /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist
  6. Drag the file to your desktop, edit using text editor,
  7. Add the following lines to boot.plst:

<key>Timeout</key>
    <string>#</string>
    <key>Default Partition</key>
    <string>hd(X,X)</string>

8. In the above code set the Timeout Time by changing # to the seconds you want it to countdown before booting.
  9. Set your Default Partition by changing the X's to the proper Hard Drive Disk Identifier settings.
  10. Example: disk0s2 would be hd(0,2)
  11. Save the file then copy it back to where it came from and replace the original.
  12. Restart Your computer and make sure it worked.

Thanks all for the reply's...

I have checked and found my card is supported and the same code is already available in the .kext files...

0x016010de&0xfff0ffff:

016a NV44 [GeForce 7100 GS]

Removing the Nvenabler and booting boots fine, with pretty low resolution ... :)

Also i have noticed that the desktop would not show.. any disk mount like in 10.5.8 leopard ..

Also the DVD drive is not recognised ... :(

Over all i have tried everthing to make this work.. am stuck with no other option to go back to leopard 10.5.8 which works flawless ... with my hardware :(

am sure atleast one is having snow leopard run with my same hardware conf... who can help .. waiting in hope.. i see one post a trick of passing this hurdle..

4. Edit the boot file

<key>Timeout</key>
    <string>#</string>
    <string>hd(X,X)</string>
  8. In the above code set the Timeout Time by changing # to the seconds you want it to countdown before booting.
  9. Set your Default Partition by changing the X's to the proper Hard Drive Disk Identifier settings.
  11. Save the file then copy it back to where it came from and replace the original.

Thanks all for the reply's...

I have checked and found my card is supported and the same code is already available in the .kext files...

0x016010de&0xfff0ffff:

016a NV44 [GeForce 7100 GS]

Removing the Nvenabler and booting boots fine, with pretty low resolution ... :(

Also i have noticed that the desktop would not show.. any disk mount like in 10.5.8 leopard ..

Also the DVD drive is not recognised ... :(

Over all i have tried everthing to make this work.. am stuck with no other option to go back to leopard 10.5.8 which works flawless ... with my hardware :(

am sure atleast one is having snow leopard run with my same hardware conf... who can help .. waiting in hope.. i see one post a trick of passing this hurdle..

Is your DVD drive IDE or SATA, Keep in mind, only SATA drives work on SL for this board

also, what do you mean "the desktop would not show.. any disk mount like in 10.5.8 leopard .."

Like on the desktop? if so open finder > Preferences > General > Check Hard Disks

Is your DVD drive IDE or SATA, Keep in mind, only SATA drives work on SL for this board

also, what do you mean "the desktop would not show.. any disk mount like in 10.5.8 leopard .."

Like on the desktop? if so open finder > Preferences > General > Check Hard Disks

Thank you for the reply...

Its a surprise for me ... SL only support Sata DVD... :o ??

but my leopard works with out any issues...

I was wondering why there were drive icons not shown in SL on the right hand side of the screen..

Yes am able to see the drives using the finder no issues.. but the desktop were missing the drive icons... like older leopard..

I still don't have my graphic working....

If only SATA DVD ROM is compatible with SL, & if am not getting the SL see my Graphic Card.. I would stick to Leopard 10.5.8 rather .. working to have the SL going..

What do you guys thinks.. Please advise..

what would i be missing if i don't have SL with my Hardware..

I have MSI MS-7352 Mobo with a intel Q33 chipset which is basicaly a similiar Mobo (mATX) so somehow I manage to partially install SL, but using a improved AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext form Dune. but still have problem that mobo dont see other two SATA devices (incl a SATA optical drive). And pretty buggy boot...

I described all here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=211538

any solutions to see that "losts" SATA devices?

You should have your BIOS set to ACHI

To be clear it needs to be a SATA drive not IDE

Does your BIOS see your hard drive?

Ok got it working. Thank you so much. However randomly my computer freezes up and i have to restart or force shutdown. I will be working on something and the spinning pinwheel will occur. My mouse will move around but i can force quit anything or click on anything. Your thoughts to a solution would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Ok got it working. Thank you so much. However randomly my computer freezes up and i have to restart or force shutdown. I will be working on something and the spinning pinwheel will occur. My mouse will move around but i can force quit anything or click on anything. Your thoughts to a solution would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

My only thought could be your graphics card kext could be causing some issues.

See if you can find one, if you havent already, just for your card.

My only thought could be your graphics card kext could be causing some issues.

See if you can find one, if you havent already, just for your card.

Both of monitors work. Shouldn't that be a sign of a correct kext? I tried repairing the disk and it's permissions but still no luck. Thanks again

Do you think when 10.6.3 comes out we will still be able to use Software Update as we did for 10.6.2.?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! Thanks for the guide, it worked perfectly!

I have 10.5.8 installed in another partition and been using OS X in my computer for two years now without major problems. So i was kind of lazy to start again with SL, but then i found your guide and now i have a working SL partition ;). I was able to use full res with the nv enabler kext. Now i have to get my wusb54g working and update.

thanks again!

Edit: Well i have a few problems that are not related to the SL installation which went fine. In my computer i've installed also Win XP, Ubuntu and OsX 10.5.8 on the same drive. I used grub to boot the three Os'. Now i'd installed SL on a different drive following this guide and found out that chamelon can't boot XP or Ubuntu that reside on the other drive. I've wiped out grub now cause i don't know if i'll keep my ubuntu installed, but i'd like to be able to boot XP from Chameleon...any ideas are welcomed!! thnx

....and found out that chamelon can't boot XP or Ubuntu that reside on the other drive...

Chameleon will boot secondary drives with another OS installed. I personally havent tried this with XP, but my Windows 7 is on a different hard dive then my Snow Leopard and Chameleon does recognize/boot it.

• 1 month later...
Feel free to use Software Update to get 10.6.3 :-D

I've updated to 10.6.3 and lost my video card. Now computer boots into a blank blue screen. I was using NVEnabler_64.kext on 10.6 with a XFX geforce 7200gs without problems. Any ideas are welcomed!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Some of you might remember the DG33TL Motherboard from the Intel Retail Edge purchase program back from 2007.

If you don't remember It wont matter, You are still in the right place.

Whats Working:

• Restart
  • Shut Down
  • Onboard Sound
  • Onboard Networking Card
  • Running in 64 Bit
  • Time Machine
  • Updates (10.6.3)
  • Dual Boot using 2 different hard drives (see Extras section below)
  • Virtualize Windows 7 x64 from 2nd partition (see Extra section below)

Whats Not Working Yet:

• Sleep: After install go to Preference > Energy Saver | Computer sleep: NEVER
  • Onboard Video

What Has Yet To Be Tested:

• Restore From Time Machine
  • Dual Boot From a Multi Partition Hard Dive

Minor Issues:

• Sometimes but rarely the computer will hang at the White Screen with the Apple Logo and the Spinning thing (what you see after the Chameleon boot loader) a hard restart usually fixes this. (could take more then one try)

I tried to make this easy by going step by step; you don't need to know how to use terminal.

To Install:

You will need:

• The Following Files:
    The kext you will need: Extra.zip The kext installer: Kext_Helper_b7.app.zip The Boot Loader: Chameleon_2.0_RC4.zip And Only if you have certain nVidia cards, the following file NVEnabler_64.kext.zip (See Video Chard Section For More Info)
  • Access to another working Mac
  • USB Drive: at least 8GB
  • PCIE Video Card
  • Retail Snow Leopard Disk
  • SATA Hard Drive

Step A: Create The Image

1. From the Working Mac
  2. Insert Leopard Disk
  3. Open Disk Utility
  4. On the Left Select "Mac OSX Install DVD"
  5. Click File > New > Disk Image From "Mac OSX Install DVD"
  6. Save the Image (Image Format = Compressed | Encryption = None)
  7. Once the Image has been created and saved, in Disk Utility, make sure nothing is selected on the left then click Verify (top left of the window) and choose the image you just Created of "Mac OSX Install DVD"
  8. Once Verification is done leave Disk Utility open and go to Step B

Step B: Setting Up the USB

1. Insert USB Drive
  2. In Disk Utility select the drive on the left then click Partition on the right.
  3. Under "Volume Scheme" select "1 Partition"
  4. Click "Options" and make sure "GUID" is selected.
  5. Name Your Drive & Click Apply
  6. Once Partitioning is done leave Disk Utility open and go to Step C

Step C: Creating the USB Boot Drive

1. Using Chameleon provided in the files above and start the Instillation
  2. When you reach the option to "Change Install Location" make sure you select your USB Drive and continue instillation
  3. Sometimes right at the end of this install it will Fail, but don't worry, it should still work.
  4. When the install finishes, using the files provided above, Unzip Extra.zip
  5. Copy & Paste the unzipped "Extra" Folder, replacing the preexisting "Extra" Folder, onto the USB Drive.
  6. Copy both Chameleon & Kext Helper into the Extras Folder on the USB Drive (You will need booth soon)
  7. Go back to Disk Utility
  8. On the Left Select your USB drive
  9. On the Right Select Restore
  10. Drag over your "Mac OSX Install DVD" to the Source Section
  11. Drag over your USB Partition to the Destination Section
  12. Make sure you UNcheck "Erase Destination"
  13. Click Restore
  14. Once the restore is done, go to Step D

Step D: Bios Setup

1. Go to the Computer You want to install Snow Leopard On & Insert the USB Drive
  2. Boot up the Computer
  3. Press F2 to enter Bios
  4. Go to Advanced > Drive Configuration > Configure SATA as: AHCI
  5. Hit Escape
  6. Go to Boot > USB Boot: Enabled
  7. Go to Boot > Boot USB Devices First: Enable (You can change this after you finish this entire install guide)
  8. F10 to Save & computer reboots and go to Step E

Step E: Installation

1. After the computer restarts from Step D you should eventually see Chameleon boot up.
  2. Select your USB drive and press Enter
  3. Once you see Snow Leopard Install boot up, choose your Language and press the Blue Arrow ..>
  4. At the top tool bar click Utilities > Disk Utility
  5. Select your Hard Drive on the left
  6. Under "Volume Scheme" select "1 Partition" (multi partitions have not been tested)
  7. Click "Options" and make sure "GUID" is selected.
  8. Name the drive (make sure there are no spaces in your drive's name)
  9. Click Apply
  10. Close Disk Utility
  11. Finish the Install
  12. Sometimes, right at the end of the install, it might Fail with the following error "Install Failed"...."the installer could not start up the computer from the disk" This is fine, Just Restart the computer.
  13. Leave your USB Drive plugged in and go to Step F

Step F: Patching Snow Leopard

1. After the computer restarts from Step E you should eventually see Chameleon boot up.
  2. Select your Snow Leopard Hard Drive and press Enter
  3. You should eventually see the Welcome to Snow Leopard video and then see Setup Prompts
  4. Once you go through the setup, open your Extras Folder on your USB Drive
  5. Open Kext Helper, provided in the files above
  6. Open Extensions Folder
  7. Drag the .kext files from the Extensions into the largest field in the Kext Helper Program
  8. Type in your password
  9. Click Easy Install
  10. After the install has completed close Kext Helper
  11. Open Chameleon
  12. When you reach the option to "Change Install Location" make sure you select your new Snow Leopard hard drive.
  13. Restart your computer after Chameleon has finished the Install
  14. Unplug your USB Drive before your computer reboots after Snow Leopard has shutdown.
  15. Go to step G

Step G: Update & Finishing Up

1. The only thing left is to get your video card working. Read the Video Card section below, then move on.
  2. Once your Video Card works you can updated Snow Leopard to 10.6.3 using Software Update

DONE!

There also are Extras/Help/Video Card information below for continued customization.

If you got this working, let us know; If not keep reading.

Video Card:

It seems the biggest problem when installing is Video Card Issues. This is what I and people In This Thread have come up with.

• Geforce 6000, 7000, 8000 Series Cards: I have supplied the NVEnabler 64 kext in the files posted above. [again, works for most of these Nvidia Cards] Install this Video Card kext using Kext Helper and restart your computer.
  • If you have another Video Card you will need to find the proper kext for your Video Card on your own and install your Video Card's kext using Kext Helper and restart your computer.

If you cannot find your kext or are still having issues here are some other suggestions:

• Edit boot.plst to include graphic enabler=yes.
    Path to file is: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
    Drag the file to your desktop, edit using text editor,
    Add the following lines to boot.plst:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
    <string>Yes</string>

Save the file then copy it back to where it came from and replace the original.
    Restart Your computer.
  • ATI HD4670: In order to install, Snow Leopard had to boot with -x (safe mode) at every reboot until 10.6.2 combo update was installed. 10.6.2 supports ATI HD4670, previous versions of Snow Leopard do not.

Extra / Help:

What each kext does (to the best of my knowledge):

• AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext | Has to do with the hard drives
  • fakesmc.kext | It emulates SMC device
  • Intel82566MM.kext | Onboard Ethernet
  • IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext | Has to do with the hard drives
  • IOATAFamily.kext | Has to do with the hard drives
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext | Has to do with DSDT
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext | This fixes restarting errors
  • PlatformUUID.kext | Deals with UUID Errors
  • NVEnabler 64.kext | PCIE Video Card (nVidia Only)
  • VoodooHDA.kext | Onboard Audio

Dual Boot:

I got Windows 7 x64 working on a different hard drive then where Snow Leopard was installed

The steps I used were as follows.

1. Unplug the Snow Leopard hard drive from the Motherboard
  2. Install Windows 7 on separate hard drive
  3. Plug back in the Snow Leopard hard drive
  4. Set Bios to boot Snow Leopard hard drive before Windows 7 hard drive
  5. Chameleon should now see both hard drives
  6. If you want to see your Snow Leopard partition on Windows get these HFS+ Drivers or take them from your Snow Leopard Disk

Virtualize Windows 7 x64 from 2nd partition in Snow Leopard:

If you have a working Windows Partition (that you can see in Finder) and want to virtualize it in Snow Leopard follow these steps:

1. Boot into the bios
  2. go to Security > VT Technology: Enabled
  3. Press F10, save and the computer turns off.
  4. Turn back on the computer & boot to Snow Leopard
  5. Install VMware Fusion v3
  6. VMware Fusion should see your Windows Partition as Boot Camp

4. Edit the boot file

<key>Timeout</key>
    <string>#</string>
    <string>hd(X,X)</string>

Notes:

• Like some of you, I am not a super genius when it comes to these things; it was a whole bunch of patience and trying different things that made this work.
  • I have done this about 5 times, and each time it has worked, so it should work for you.
  • If it does not work, tinker around a bit: unplug all extra peripherals, take off anything from the motherboard thats not needed for it to boot, double check your bios, use search and use the rest of the community for answers to your questions (like I said I am not super great with all this)
  • Try booting with -x -v and see what your error messages are. (-x is safe mode, -v is verbose mode)
  • It has been reported that removing all Hard Drives but the one which you are Installing Snow Leopard on might help the instillation process.
  • If you still cant get it working you can watch the video I did (link below) to make my initial USB Drive. (After doing this so many times I decided to post my own steps)
  • This guide borrows from this video, but there are some important steps not included and the proper kext are also not given in this video [
    ]
  • The video card I used was a PCIE PNY nVidia GeForce 8600 256MB
  • The USB Drive was a SanDisk Cruzer Micro 8gb
  • Intel DG33TL Website
  • DG33TL OSX86 Wiki

However you ended up getting this to work for your setup, let us know how you did it.

Good Luck

Thanks for the guide, I'm running 10.6.5 with your kext on my dq35j0, and another solution for my video card, sleep is the only thing not working, Going to try some of the sleep solutions out there and see if i can't get it 100%

Thanks for posting a great guide!

Thanks for the guide, I'm running 10.6.5 with your kext on my dq35j0, and another solution for my video card, sleep is the only thing not working, Going to try some of the sleep solutions out there and see if i can't get it 100%

Thanks for posting a great guide!

I'm also on 10.6.5 but only get a blank blue screen when booting. I can boot in safe mode fine.

BadAxeUser- what was your video fix.