GMA 4500 - the safest bet for native resolution

anselmoso

42 posts in this topic

Guys,

I would advise all of you GMA 4500 users not to use any patched Kexts or DSDTs anymore as long as there is no QE support available. (And currently there's no sign that this will change anytime soon)

Use this instead:

http://deviato.wordpress.com/2010/01/28/ch...r-snow-leopard/

And if it doesn't work with your resolution, ask this guy how he patched Chameleon, it's surely possible to make it work for other resolutions, as well.

You'll have

- Native resolution

- No stress with kexts or DSDTs

- No broken picture or blue screen at bootup

- No need for seperate Grub and 915resolution

• Like 1

what about dual screen? will I get that without a kext? cause using the patched kext in 10.5/6, I'm getting dual screen+native res.

Most people (including me) primarily need native resolution and therefore this solution is preferable in my opinion. Haven't tried out dual screen with this method yet, but I suppose it's not possible without kexts.

Thank you for all the interest in my patch!

I started writing/stealing pieces of codes to patch Chameleon for my notebook, but it's good to see that this solution is good for much more persons :rolleyes:

However, the main reason why I wrote this patch is that there's (AFAIK) no GMAX3100 kext compiled for 64bit kernel. So the greatest benefit you forgot to mention is the possibility of starting SL in real 64bit mode.

I want to advise those interested, that I updated the bootloader to include Intel G31, G41, and G45 chipsets, for all the known variants of X4500.

Where exactly is the boot file located? Because I tried to alter one last time and it wouldn't boot at all so I had to perform another clean install D: And shouldn't the boot file in there be an executable file? It's not for me. Any help would be great!

urmm..i replace it with boot file in root..

show hidden file..then replace the boot file with the deviato ...like replace the boot loader with efi10.x

thats all..

i have question..why it show 64mb in system profiler?suppose 512 mb right?

thx..

Thank you for all the interest in my patch!

I started writing/stealing pieces of codes to patch Chameleon for my notebook, but it's good to see that this solution is good for much more persons ;)

However, the main reason why I wrote this patch is that there's (AFAIK) no GMAX3100 kext compiled for 64bit kernel. So the greatest benefit you forgot to mention is the possibility of starting SL in real 64bit mode.

I want to advise those interested, that I updated the bootloader to include Intel G31, G41, and G45 chipsets, for all the known variants of X4500.

Please, release the sources!!!

Please, release the sources!!!

This is the latest build:

http://www.multiupload.com/GFMZ7A9Z3T

In the directory you will find a diff file to patch the original Chameleon 2.0 RC4 source code.

Again, this is not my code, I only polished it and edited to match my graphics card id.

Anyway, I doubt it will serve to develop a new driver, it only patches the vesa bios mode overwriting with the right resolution, as done in grub2 with 915resolution patch.

1280x800x32 is VESA supported, that`s why u have native resolution. Try 1280x720 for example and or 1366x768.... :)

it works here on my 2530p you are the guys thanks a lot anselmoso and deviato vi stimo! :)

one question.. on the builtin lcd I got the correct 1280 x 800 native resolution.. but when I connect a external LCD monitor (19") the image on the external screen is locked at 1024x768.. is there a way to get the proper 1280x1024 on the external monitor as well?

thanks a lot in advance!

it works here on my 2530p you are the guys thanks a lot anselmoso and deviato vi stimo! :)

one question.. on the builtin lcd I got the correct 1280 x 800 native resolution.. but when I connect a external LCD monitor (19") the image on the external screen is locked at 1024x768.. is there a way to get the proper 1280x1024 on the external monitor as well?

thanks a lot in advance!

The patch works reading the EDID of the monitor, so if you are able to boot with your external monitor connected and the internal LCD turned off, it could work.

(PS: Grazie!)

The patch works reading the EDID of the monitor, so if you are able to boot with your external monitor connected and the internal LCD turned off, it could work.

(PS: Grazie!)

that's what I am doing.. if I close the builtin LID immediately after pressing the power button, than OSX starts with the builtin LCD turned off and the vga out enabled, so I see images only in the external monitor, but doing like that I get 1024x768 ;)

anyone who accomplished in this? also using some patched kexts or any other solutions.. I always use the laptop connected to the external LCD so not having the proper resolution on the vga out is a big problem for me ;)

thanks anyway in advance to all!

ciao deviato, I think you made the patched boot file.. so may I ask you something? Is there any difference on the com.apple.boot.plist file managing? because I modify it (for example I add the timeout entry) but nothing changes with the bootloader, still no timeout and any other options I add in the plist file.. is it because the boot file is not the standard one? is there any other file to change?

thanks!

bye

No, I didn't make any modification.. on my system it works like the original chameleon, I tested the timeout paramater, and it works..

Check if you have a com.apple.Boot.plist in your /Extra directory, this by default overrides the one in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

ciao deviato, I think you made the patched boot file.. so may I ask you something? Is there any difference on the com.apple.boot.plist file managing? because I modify it (for example I add the timeout entry) but nothing changes with the bootloader, still no timeout and any other options I add in the plist file.. is it because the boot file is not the standard one? is there any other file to change?

thanks!

bye

ciao and thanks, I had just the one inside /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and modified that one, when I saw it did not work, I did copy it also in /Extra but also there it does not work.. really don't know why... I think the chameleon config is somewhere else.. I did installa chameleon rc3 + PCefi 10.5 while installing hazard 10.6.2, after this I just changed the /boot file with the one I found in your blog.. ???

bye!

EDIT: problem fixed.. dunno why but the active partition was the HFS+ data partition.. it seems hazard installed chameleon also in it.. activated the "Mac" partition and everything is OK now the changes in com.apple.boot.plist work.. :angry2:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all! I've made a new version of Chameleon bootloader patched for Intel GMA Cards.

This one should solve all the problems with people not getting any change of resolution using the previous version.

Now the behavior has been modified to read the desired resolution from com.apple.Boot.plist before patching the vesa bios. If it doesn't find any "Graphics Mode" key, it reads a fallback value from edid.

You can download it here: http://www.multiupload.com/DQ49G457JL

Original post here: http://deviato.wordpress.com/2010/02/24/ch...-gma-version-2/

@anselmoso: please update the first post to point to the new link. Thanks!