Pinstripes (Puma) look on Tiger?

11 posts in this topic

Sadly, I'm one of the few Mac fans out there that actually misses the pinstriped look of the earlier OS X releases.

So, anyone know of any way to get Tiger (10.4) to look like Puma (10.1)? You know, maybe through some theming software or even an application similiar to UNO? Attached is a screenie of Puma in action, just so everyone has an idea of what I'm talking about.

800px-Macosx101.jpg

You can't install guikit theme directly into a Intel Mac, until Shapeshifter is universal (even so it won't work on a hackintosh probably). You have to use a PPC machine first, to get the required resource files.

Luckily, that theme contains .dlta files, which includes resources. First you have to convert Extras.rsrc to Extras2.rsrc (with Extras2Extras2.app). Replace Finder.rsrc with the one in /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Resources, than replace both Extras.rsrc and Extras2.rsrc in /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Frameworks/HIToolbok.framework/Resources.

It won't look perfect, but you can install it.

Eh, I'd rather it look right than half-assed. I suppose I'll have to wait for another solution or a Universal Shapeshifter.

Forget about universal Shapeshifter, even if it was released it wouldn't work on our generic PCs. Unsanity put a check to determine if the machine is a real Mac or not, if not it doesn't work.

So for the hell of it, I decided to give Chrysaor's method a go: Backed up my original files, rebooted under Single-User mode, and replaced Finder.rsrc, Extras.rsrc, and Extras2.rsrc.

The result? Well... this:

Menubar1.jpg

Menubar2.jpg

Just like you said, Chrysaor, definitely not perfect. Check out the Spotlight icon. No pinstripes :hbd: And the worst of it was the Finder:

Finder.jpg

Who's buttons are completely distorted, and for some reason my drives/shortcuts have disappeared from the left-hand frame of the window. Damn, and I was so close.

It was worth a shot I suppose. Guess there's just no love for the pinstripes :)

Sucks to know whats going on with the universal Shapeshifter.