The Official Movie Recommendation Thread.

Swad

53 posts in this topic

A thread for you to share with us the movies you think we should be watching. Feel free to post as often as you'd like!

While college doesn't allow me to watch as many new films as I'd like, here's a list of classics:

Citizen Kane

Probably the greatest movie ever. Don't miss it.

It's a Wonderful Life

Ok, so they show it every Christmas, but if you actually sit down and watch it (sans commercials), it'll really get to you.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Another classic Capra film.

Yup...anything Monty Python is fine in my books! The Meaning of Life is good as well...I'll be seeing the Toronto production of Spamalot later this summer as well. :)

The Italion Job (The original) - Basically, I love watching anything from the 60's - early 70's...film rules were a lot more lax then, making for some more realistic stunts (not just purely CGI creations, as nice as some of them are). Plus, they get to drive ontop of the buildings of Turino!

And, well...any Bond film is good in my books. Although, I definetly like Connery's films a lot more than the others. Though the Brosnan one's slowly got better.

Heh...Office Space is a great one too! :blink:

Also, another one I forgot to mention, is the Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. It was generally panned by the critics, but It really is one of my favourite movies. Bill Murray's deadpan humour is surely what makes the film...quite funny! It's got quite a nice cast as well...Owen Wilson, Willem Dafoe, Cate Blanchett.

I laguhed when I saw that almost all of the soundtrack (apart from the techno in between) was David Bowie songs, sung in portuguese and played on acoustic guitar. :P

• 4 weeks later...

Mrs Smith Goes to Washington-Classic

12 Angry Men-Same crowd would like this as Mr Smith....Mash you should see that

Fight Club

16 Blocks

After the Sunset

Hostage

Inside Man

Into the Blue

Sahara

Poseidon

Lord of War

The list goes on and on....

Snakes on a Plane, after seeing it, there is no reason to ever see any other movie. That is unless a SOAP 2 comes out sometime. No matter who you are, you will like it. Even if you hate it, you still get to see some nice nudity, so it doesn't matter, either way its the best movie ever made.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm 45 y old, so you'll understand why...

1. If you want a REAl actress, "the Queen".

2. If you want a good old road movie, "Little Miss Sunshine".

3. If you want understand the world today: "United 93".

4. Historical: best watch TV "Rome", HBO.

5. I can't remember a comic movie, also best to watch TV.

So, really, the best scripts, stories and movies are out of the cinema-theaters: TV+net. That's where the originality lives now.

But if you want to see pretty faces...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Scarface

The Elephant Man

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

The Shining

Waking Life

Requiem For A Dream

Being John Malkovich

Natural Born Killers

American History X

Dazed And Confused

I Heart Huckabees

Pi

Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

The Fountain

Dead Poets Society

In no particular order. They are all very, very good, but some are stand out excellent.

- The Road to Guantanamo

- Pans Labyrinth

- Freedom Writers

- Letters From Iwo Jima

- Apocalypto

- The Queen

- The Good Shepherd

- The Illusionist

- Litlte Miss Sunshine

• 1 month later...