The Official Music Recommendation Thread

Swad

72 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...

Cool list Cosmik Debris!

I really like Suede - Suede (first album), although in USA they're called London Suede.

Have to also mention the classic stuff from Velvet Underground, Boards of Canada

Of course I like a lot of other things too...L7 is good.

Some of my favourite albums at the moment:

Blue Öyster Cult - Don't Fear The Reaper: The Best Of Blue Öyster Cult (BOC are one of my favourite bands, but since most of their really good material is spread out across their early albums I've got to recommend a compilation - except it doesn't have Veteran of the Psychic Wars on it :unsure:)

Pendulum - Hold Your Colour (If you only own one drum and bass album, this has to be it. I've been listening to this album since marginally before it's UK release and I never grow tired of it, even though I love some of the newer Pendulum tracks that appeared in live sets after this album was released)

Johnny Cash - American IV: The Man Comes Around (I love Johnny Cash, and it's hard to pick between his albums, but his late work was very sombre, and the feeling conveyed by a man at death's door singing such perfect material is amazing)

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine (Like with the Cash, it's hard to pick a specific NiN album as there's something great about all of them, but I love the early stuff like Head Like a Hole and Terrible Lie. Shame The Perfect Drug never made it onto an album :D)

Afro Celts - Seed (As you may have guessed, my taste in music is quite all-encompassing. I just love this album, along with most of the Afro Celt Soundsystem's work for those 'chilled out' days)

The Chemical Brothers - Come With Us (Even if it was only for My Elastic Eye, I'd have to recommend this. It's one of the best electronica albums IMHO :))

Concrete Blonde - Bloodletting (I don't really understand why this band never achieved commercial success - anyway, this has to be their best album.)

And some songs in my playlists at the moment:

Zodiac Mindwarp - Prime Mover (what can I say - it's just compulsive :D)

The Doors - Riders on the Storm (This is my karaoke piece :) It could so do with a Johnny cash cover - shame it's never going to happen now :()

Billy Corgan - The CameraEye (Bit of an unexpected one, this, since I don't really like the rest of Corgan's solo stuff...)

Metallica - No Leaf Clover (You can't honestly expect me to pick only one Metallica song? This just works so well with the S&M orchestral backing)

Lacuna Coil - Enjoy the Silence (Okay, I know it's not their song, but I like it better than the original... Lucky really, as I don't find the rest of Karmacode as accesible as LC's previous work, which I love ;))

Asian Dub Foundataion - Flyover (Another band it's hard to choose a single song for - It would've been Fortress Europe if it weren't this :))

Johnny Cash - American IV: The Man Comes Around (I love Johnny Cash, and it's hard to pick between his albums, but his late work was very sombre, and the feeling conveyed by a man at death's door singing such perfect material is amazing)

I to like this album an hell of a lot, his cover of 'hurt' and 'i'm so lonely i could cry' are absolutely awesome! it made me have a lump in my throat before!

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine (Like with the Cash, it's hard to pick a specific NiN album as there's something great about all of them, but I love the early stuff like Head Like a Hole and Terrible Lie. Shame The Perfect Drug never made it onto an album :unsure: )

In a way I'm happy that halo eleven 'the perfect drug' never got onto an album, it's one of my favourite NIN songs and i hold the CD single i have of it as a mighty highly prized possession (it use to be my nickname in all forums and IM's when i was younger lol)

post-140932-1194966972_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

My tastes in music are similar to REVENGE's

I definately think you should listen to these tunes.

=================================

DaRude - Sandstorm

DaRude - Feel the beat

DaRude - Music

Tiesto - Sweet Things

Tiesto - Adagio for Strings

Tiesto - Forever Today

Armin Van Buuren - Sail

Armin Van Buuren vs Rank 1 - The World is Watching me

John O`Callaghan feat. Audrey Gallagher - Big Sky

Armin Van Buuren - A State of Trance 1 to the Latest Episdoes

Paul Oakenfold - Starry Eyed Surprise

=================================

As you can see by my tunes above I love trance music. The list can go on forever. Turn the speakers up and listen all day and all night.

Minus The Bear

If you're into mellow and calm music, definitely check them out. You just can't go wrong. They are amazing. Check out any of their CD's, they're all fantastic. I think Highly Refined Pirates is better than Menos El Oso and Planet Of Ice, but it's really really close.

• 1 month later...

Sohodolls - ribbed music for the numb generation

B000SSESVQ.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I would also say,

The sisters of mercy - a slight case of overbobming

A.F.I - sing the sorrow

Therapy? - trubblegum

Squint - Beeker

Smoke up Johnny - angry morning light

Anthrax - Black Lodge EP

Phill Collins - The Hits

The Bouncing Souls - How i spent my summer vacation

Delerium - Karma

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - No More Shall We Part

Kind Of Like Spitting - The Thrill Of The Hunt

I've gotten really into Indie music recently. I mean Indie the genre not a band that's not on a Major (label).

Here's my recommendations:

Minus The Bear

The Most Serene Republic: Underwater Cinematographer

Bloc Party

Arctic Monkeys

Coldplay

Kaiser Chiefs

Keane

The Kooks

Moving Units

Metric

Postal Service

The Thermals

Although not Indie, still utterly awesome:

Velvet Revolver

Radiohead

Stone Temple Pilots (Thank You since it's their greatest hits, although it doesn't have Unglued which is easily their best song)

I recommend indie style:

Reamonn - Wish

All the albums of this German band are fabulous! I have visited their concert show in Moscow in September. Excellent show! Try also another albums: Beautiful Sky, Tuesday, Dream N. 7

Coldplay - try every album, every song. Marvelous music.

+ these ones:

Keane - Under the Iron sea, Hopes&Fears

Lifehouse - Stanley Climbfall

The Killers - Sam's Town

• 7 months later...

The following is probably one of the oddest lists of music recommendations...

My list. No particular order, I just felt that need something beside them:

1. HIM (Finnish Rock Band)

2. Alkaline Trio

3. John Mayer

4. The Cure

5. Michael Jackson (Anything Pre-Wacko Jacko!)

6. Relient K

7. The Foo Fighters

8. Seether

9. AudioSlave

10. All the George Carlin Albums

11. InMemory

12. Lorene Drive

• 1 year later...

My all time favorite musician is Jeff Buckley. I don't know if any of you guys ever heard of him, unfortunately I know only a few people who did.

I'm also a fan of John Lee Hooker (some jazz music always makes my day better), Radiohead, Muse, AudioSlave, Disturbed, Serj Tankian...

• 3 weeks later...

jeff buckly is indeed a hero... some more of mine would be:

Carla Kihlstedt, also worth checking out are two of here projects

for the more pop-liking sould: 2 foot yard

for the hard ones Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

also very nice

Emilliana Torrini for the singer songwriter loving style

check out myspace.com/parfumbrutal

if u like bjoerk or singer/songwriter style

air is very nice electronica

as well as amon tobin is drum n bass

Avishai Cohen Trio is nice modern jazz....

that should be enough for the moment

• 5 years later...