• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2586 replies to this topic

1337David

1337David

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Does the VGA or HDMI output work? If so or not add it to the first post.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
I know amf5 said the HDMI out works, at least for video, but I can't remember if the VGA out does or not. Will have to pour through the old thread one more time.

@ucjuicy: You posted in the old thread that you had external monitors going, was this via the VGA port or HDMI? I need the info for the top post. Thanks

Also has anyone tested the HDMI audio out without VoodooHDA installed?

JJRMac

JJRMac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe<br />CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k<br />Graphics: NVIDIA XF...

I know amf5 said the HDMI out works, at least for video, but I can't remember if the VGA out does or not. Will have to pour through the old thread one more time.

@ucjuicy: You posted in the old thread that you had external monitors going, was this via the VGA port or HDMI? I need the info for the top post. Thanks

Also has anyone tested the HDMI audio out without VoodooHDA installed?

I just tested out the VGA port and looks like it works. When I clicked on mirror displays thought the netbook screen went grey, you could still see the mouse cursor though. The monitor became the main display.

Kosterin Anton

Kosterin Anton

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
VGA - work (sometimes I use my NEC 1770GX as second monitor)

And Fn+F8 work for select monitors combination as in windows.

placeb

placeb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Hello, I'm interested by this netbook, but bad sound quality could become a very annoying problem for me. Is the sound correct using speaker ? Any hope we can find a solution ?
thinks

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
The onboard sound can be annoying if you are using it to play music or use some other sound oriented app. But I find that true of most small speakered equipped laptops or netbooks. IOW, for playing music, I have a set of USB powered speakers which sound very nice. You can also use many of the small inexpensive USB sound dongles which allow you to plug in standard powered stereo speakers.

The bottom line is for common desktop sounds the quality of the current setup is acceptable, but if you are going to listen to music, no netbook sound is really that good, especially this one.

I just tested out the VGA port and looks like it works. When I clicked on mirror displays thought the netbook screen went grey, you could still see the mouse cursor though. The monitor became the main display.

VGA - work (sometimes I use my NEC 1770GX as second monitor)

And Fn+F8 work for select monitors combination as in windows.

Top post changed to reflect this info, thanks guys!

Scorch95

Scorch95

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Just to let people know, you can replace the wireless card with the dell 1510 and then do the dual boot osx86/win7 setup using the asus recovery cd. As stated above you do need a regular copy of window 7 or vista in order to make the corrections for it to boot.

Question to anybody that has any ideas. I'm still having problems with my keyboard and trackpad. I currently have my system updated to 10.6.2 using the teatimer kernel and amf5's /extra folder. Next step will be to install efi 10.5 but may not do that right away. One thing I have noticed is that I can sometimes get the keyboard working however the moment the trackpad is touched it will kill the functionality of both. If I can keep the keyboard going I might just disconnect the trackpad and get a bluetooth mouse as this would be acceptable but i would prefer to have both working just for the sake that it's there.

ucjuicy

ucjuicy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Not only does VGA work, but hot swapping moitors works for sure too.
I had know the external monitor was working early on, but it would only work when the extra monitor was plugged in at boot up.

Just plugged one in after being booted for eight hours and worked instantly.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

Just to let people know, you can replace the wireless card with the dell 1510 and then do the dual boot osx86/win7 setup using the asus recovery cd. As stated above you do need a regular copy of window 7 or vista in order to make the corrections for it to boot.

Question to anybody that has any ideas. I'm still having problems with my keyboard and trackpad. I currently have my system updated to 10.6.2 using the teatimer kernel and amf5's /extra folder. Next step will be to install efi 10.5 but may not do that right away. One thing I have noticed is that I can sometimes get the keyboard working however the moment the trackpad is touched it will kill the functionality of both. If I can keep the keyboard going I might just disconnect the trackpad and get a bluetooth mouse as this would be acceptable but i would prefer to have both working just for the sake that it's there.

I assume everything works correctly in Windows? Just curious

Scorch95

Scorch95

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

I assume everything works correctly in Windows? Just curious

Yes

1337David

1337David

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Is the sound quality still bad when using the headphone jack? As well has anyone tried the mic or input jack? Just another thing to add to the first post.

amf5

amf5

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Is the sound quality still bad when using the headphone jack? As well has anyone tried the mic or input jack? Just another thing to add to the first post.

Yes and yes. Audio is still scratchy through headphones since it's a problem with VoodooHDA's sound processing (for lack of a better commonly understandable term), and while input works (including the mic), it's also scratchy. You can work around this by using a Bluetooth headset.

1337David

1337David

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I assume the input's problem is related to the voodooHDA drivers. Is there any intention on fixing the sound drivers? Someone should put a post on the Voodoo forum.

BTW has anyone looked at this?
http://www.insanelym...hp/t130053.html
or this one?
http://www.insanelym...php/t71257.html

amf5

amf5

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Also, this might not be anything new to some of you, but it surprised the hell out of me - three-finger swiping for back/forward in Safari works, give it a try! :)

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

I assume the input's problem is related to the voodooHDA drivers. Is there any intention on fixing the sound drivers? Someone should put a post on the Voodoo forum.

BTW has anyone looked at this?
http://www.insanelym...hp/t130053.html
or this one?
http://www.insanelym...php/t71257.html

I read both threads but didn't really see a lot which applies to the 1201N with it's ALC269 audio codec. Did I miss something?

And about the trackpad, I did read somewhere about the 3 finger scrolling, but I never tried it. I did however try to turn off the trackpad with the switch in the upper left, but that does not work in Snow Leopard.

1337David

1337David

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Ok sorry I thought our problem was with the ALC885 codec not the ALC269 codec. I thought the outboard codec was the ACL885 and the HDMI was the ALC269. There was confusion on this in the old thread.

DiDDyDy

DiDDyDy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I think it's ALC269 not ALC885, because there is no 885 id.
the problem should be the incoherency between CPU cache and DMA memory.
I'm not a programmer, so I don't know how to inhibt CPU from caching DMA memory.

nightcastle

nightcastle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I think it's ALC269 not ALC885, because there is no 885 id.
the problem should be the incoherency between CPU cache and DMA memory.
I'm not a programmer, so I don't know how to inhibt CPU from caching DMA memory.

I have Audio working via the ALC885 code I found somewhere on this board.
I used tarugas applehda patcher 1.20 .
I got the ALC885 code txt file and dragged it onto the patcher.
Sound is working from the 1201N speakers. I haven't tried HDMI sound output .

NC

DiDDyDy

DiDDyDy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I have Audio working via the ALC885 code I found somewhere on this board.
I used tarugas applehda patcher 1.20 .
I got the ALC885 code txt file and dragged it onto the patcher.
Sound is working from the 1201N speakers. I haven't tried HDMI sound output .

NC

oh

i'm wrong, but that's great.
i'll do it later

1337David

1337David

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
How's the sound quality?

Here's the Patcher and linux codec dump for ACL885.

Someone should get a linux codec dump from a 1201N to see if the HDMI output can be included.

1) Get your favorite Linux Live ISO (I used the latest Ubuntu) and burn it to disc.
2) Boot of the disc get to the desktop. Open the terminal and type this:
cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
3) The terminal will scroll through the data. Copy the data and paste it into a text document and save it to a writeable media (live CDs often mount media read-only so you will need something like a thumb-drive or something)
4) Boot into OS X and then use this as the file for patching. It has been recomended to use the -legacy option upon booting.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy