Asus 1201N Installation and support

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2586 replies to this topic

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Great to hear and welcome to the world of Hackintosh. I also was a Windows guy for many, many years but was always fascinated by Macs. Too expensive for my blood until used ones started hitting the marketplace. I have bunch of older Macs now with a G4 MDD dual 867 being the newest one. I got into Hackintoshes and have been loving every minute of it.

The pictures would be most welcome addition to the guide and here as well. I look forward to seeing those. I saw that link to another netbook take apart but I have not looked at it yet.

I don't think anyone else has had the shutdown problem, for me it just seems to take longer than it should, but it does eventually shutdown. Might be a difference in BIOS or settings, guess we should post a guide to those settings as well.

Edit: I have updated the install guide to include a link to the disassemble guide for the 1008HA that was posted in the old thread. I will also update the top post to reflect this. BTW, I think I found the source of my USB and other problems. I was using a USB extension cable when booting from an external drive and I believe it may have been a bad cable. Since removing I have not had any more problems.

ucjuicy

ucjuicy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
To disassemble, use an ipod disassembly tool, or something similar that is flat and plastic.
I used a small flat head screwdriver and nw i have a scratch, be careful. This tool is used to depress the four locks holding the keyboard in place. Point it towards the back of the machine. Gently lift but do not take out yet, you will have to use the same tool to slide back each side of both the keyboard and touchpad ribbon cable socket locks. Once released, remove the keyboard.

Using a razor blade, carefully romove but do not slice the "do not remove" or your warrenty is void sticker, and proceed to remove all screws holding down the key board tray, there's like eight or ten, some reasonable even number.

Now with a creditcard, and starting just behind the VGA port, gently pry/click free the plastic tabs binding the entire assembly by just sliding it all the way around.
Almost there.

Gently wiggle the freed portion side to side and it should release it self from the hinge covers.

Feel freeto upgrade your hard drive ( i got a seagate 500GB 7200rpm) while you are in there swapping wifi cards.

JJRMac

JJRMac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe<br />CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k<br />Graphics: NVIDIA XF...

Edit: I have updated the install guide to include a link to the disassemble guide for the 1008HA that was posted in the old thread. I will also update the top post to reflect this. BTW, I think I found the source of my USB and other problems. I was using a USB extension cable when booting from an external drive and I believe it may have been a bad cable. Since removing I have not had any more problems.

Well, of course the camera is no where to be found, but I did follow the link in the guide. They are almost identical in the procedure.

The Only difference really that instead of having to remove the system board to get to the Wifi Module, its is actully right in front of you once you take off the top chassis. On the bottom right you will see a tape holding a wide cable in place. If you lift that tape and disconnect the cable, the wifi module is right there. it's held in by 1 screw. I replaced it with the Dell card and I connected the wire that was connected to the old wifi module on the right side of the Dell card where the BLACK arrow is pointing.

To disassemble, use an ipod disassembly tool, or something similar that is flat and plastic.
I used a small flat head screwdriver and nw i have a scratch, be careful. This tool is used to depress the four locks holding the keyboard in place. Point it towards the back of the machine. Gently lift but do not take out yet, you will have to use the same tool to slide back each side of both the keyboard and touchpad ribbon cable socket locks. Once released, remove the keyboard.

Using a razor blade, carefully romove but do not slice the "do not remove" or your warrenty is void sticker, and proceed to remove all screws holding down the key board tray, there's like eight or ten, some reasonable even number.

Now with a creditcard, and starting just behind the VGA port, gently pry/click free the plastic tabs binding the entire assembly by just sliding it all the way around.
Almost there.

Gently wiggle the freed portion side to side and it should release it self from the hinge covers.

Feel freeto upgrade your hard drive ( i got a seagate 500GB 7200rpm) while you are in there swapping wifi cards.

Of course I tried and broke the warrenty sticker. Oh well

I also got to finally listen to the audio at a decent level, now I understand by what you guys meant by all the static. Wow.

1337David

1337David

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Does the Tea Kernel work with 64-bit? Can a 64-bit entry be added in the how to?

bingman

bingman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I followed the directions in your guide and got my 1201n updated to 10.6.2. Thanks for your help.

I deleted AppleHDA.kext and installed the VoodooHDA.kext into the /Extra/Extensions folder and restarted.

No sound device shows up in the "Sound" preferences panel. What did I do wrong?

Also, when the 1201n boots it flashes the Chameleon logo quickly and then goes into the boot process. How would I stop it after Chameleon so that I can type in the boot args so that I can install the Tea kernel? What advantages does the Tea kernel have?

Thanks for any help.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
You need to use Kext Utility to install the VoodooHDA.kext as it goes in the /S/L/E folder instead of /E/E.

Pressing any key at the Chameleon screen will stop the process and allow you to choose another hard drive to boot from or boot options. amf5 will need to respond to why it is better. You can click on the link in the guide and it will take you to the Tea blog, maybe you can get some insight there. HTH

Does the Tea Kernel work with 64-bit? Can a 64-bit entry be added in the how to?

Yes, AFAIK it does allow the 64 bit mode to be used. Again, maybe amf5 can tell you more about this as I prefer to remain in 32 bit mode.

Well, of course the camera is no where to be found, but I did follow the link in the guide. They are almost identical in the procedure.

The Only difference really that instead of having to remove the system board to get to the Wifi Module, its is actully right in front of you once you take off the top chassis. On the bottom right you will see a tape holding a wide cable in place. If you lift that tape and disconnect the cable, the wifi module is right there. it's held in by 1 screw. I replaced it with the Dell card and I connected the wire that was connected to the old wifi module on the right side of the Dell card where the BLACK arrow is pointing.

Of course I tried and broke the warrenty sticker. Oh well

I also got to finally listen to the audio at a decent level, now I understand by what you guys meant by all the static. Wow.

Good info, hopefully someone will take some pictures of the insides, the ones that were on the old thread are not there anymore. I will do so when I get my card, but I don't want to open 'er up until then.

1337David

1337David

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Okay thanks for the reply. I know that 1201N benefits in Ubuntu from 64-bit a lot, but I'm not sure about mac OS X's "true" 64-bit-ness, they've muddled the entire system I feel.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Yeah, sound works in Ubuntu also, wish it worked that well in Snow Leopard.

Has anyone successfully setup a Chameleon dual boot system (Snow/Win7) using the restore DVD which comes with the 1201N? I know this is possible using EasyBCD, but I would like to be able to do it using Chameleon as the bootloader. The problem I run into is not being able to fix the Windows boot partition after installing Chameleon. There doesn't appear to be anyway to do this using the restore DVD. Any ideas?

vince22

vince22

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Good info, hopefully someone will take some pictures of the insides, the ones that were on the old thread are not there anymore.

Mosslack, here's my inside pictures:

Attached Files

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Thanks, I will use them with the install guide.

They have been posted.

1337David

1337David

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
There's no repair system in the restore DVD? ^_^
Try booting an Ubuntu live CD or USB, maybe you can fix the partition using fdisk or gparted?

woodson81

woodson81

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i'll probably buy my 1201n in a few hours
does somebody could tell me what works, and what doesn't under snow leo.
wifi problem solve? or should i buy another card.
sound ?
thanks .

JJRMac

JJRMac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe<br />CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k<br />Graphics: NVIDIA XF...

i'll probably buy my 1201n in a few hours
does somebody could tell me what works, and what doesn't under snow leo.
wifi problem solve? or should i buy another card.
sound ?
thanks .

Not to be an ass but did you even read the first post?

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

There's no repair system in the restore DVD? :(
Try booting an Ubuntu live CD or USB, maybe you can fix the partition using fdisk or gparted?

I thought about using gparted and that would work to allow for setting partitions active and what not, but I still would need to repair the boot sectors of the Windows partition so it would be bootable from Chameleon. That is the big problem.

1337David

1337David

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

I thought about using gparted and that would work to allow for setting partitions active and what not, but I still would need to repair the boot sectors of the Windows partition so it would be bootable from Chameleon. That is the big problem.

I can borrow a Windows 7 DVD, I heard that a Vista DVD will fix the drive as well. Those are the only options I can see that are legal. As well any triple boot system is dependant on repairing the drives I see after reading some guides.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Have you tried to do this yet? I successfully used the restore DVD to restore to the 2nd partition on my hard drive and then used my Windows 7 Ultimate DVD to make the repair. Mine is working great this way. I would like to know if the restore will work okay once the wlan card is changed to the 1510 as some restore apps balk when the hardware has changed. I did notice a checklist which one might be able to uncheck the wlan driver install but I never tried it.

And yes, I'm sure the Vista DVD would also work to repair the boot sector.

1337David

1337David

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
No I haven't my 1201N order got screwed up and isn't shipping until Monday now! ;)

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Bummer, I have the problem solved with the restore DVD. An HQ-A lister has posted a bootable image of the Win 7 boot only files which works great to fix the partitions. If he doesn't want me to post the link I will upload it to my MediaFire account. I have already tried it out and it works great.

While I'm at it, has anyone used the Asus online storage? This might be a good place to put such utilities as it is about 250 Mb.

amf5

amf5

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Pressing any key at the Chameleon screen will stop the process and allow you to choose another hard drive to boot from or boot options. amf5 will need to respond to why it is better. You can click on the link in the guide and it will take you to the Tea blog, maybe you can get some insight there. HTH

Yes, AFAIK it does allow the 64 bit mode to be used. Again, maybe amf5 can tell you more about this as I prefer to remain in 32 bit mode.

Verbose boot isn't better or worse than booting with the graphical loader unless you're looking out for errors in the boot process (as I was). Since I didn't really plan on a whole bunch of people using my kext folder I didn't take it out of my com.apple.Boot.plist - it's harmless and you can remove the "-v" under boot flags if you'd like.

As far as 64-bit goes, to expand on a post I made in the other thread: there is absolutely no reason to run the x86_64 kernel on this machine. Zero. None. Most actual Macs can not boot the x86_64 kernel, and there is absolutely no benefit of doing so unless you need a single application to access over 16 TB of RAM. Most processes under the Tea kernel that's been patched for Atom 330 (the one I linked in the other thread - available here) run in 64-bit mode already (go into /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor if you don't believe me), and as a side benefit you do not need to use kernel extensions that are compiled for 64-bit; there's simply no reason to do so.

Really, it's not like I'm trying to shortchange you guys or anything here, there's just simply no reason to run the x86_64 kernel on this machine.

At all.

To reiterate: Posted Image

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
To those who want to dual boot Windows 7 using the restore DVD which came with the 1201N, I am presently uploading an ISO image of the Windows 7 boot files. This image can be used to repair the Windows boot partition in conjunction with the dual boot guide I have posted here. This image is rather large (160 Mb), so it will take some time to upload to my MediaFire account. If you already have a Vista install DVD, it can be used for this purpose also. When the upload is complete, I will post a link to it within the guide as well as here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy