• 13 posts
Anyone ?

ice_pdb

ice_pdb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hello ShareRiff, I'm off the hackintosh world nowadays... but it seems to me that you have problem making your bios boot from USB, in my ASUS you press ESC and it appears a a boot dialog that ask you where from to boot... Sorry for my bad english... I don't use it much.

By the way I have a problem myself... I was using Lion 10.7.2 happily and tried to update to to 10.7.3 and don't know why my netbook doesn't boot Lion normally ...
Here is what it does: When I try to boot normally, it enters to the OS and the login screen is shown and mouse works perfect...but... and there's always a but, users names can't be clicked, so I can't enter...
I try to enter in SAFE mode... and thanks to some mighty one it shows the users in the login... but no QI/CE....

And now the question? how can I solve this problem!!!????? any ideas??...

Thank you all in advance to all who read this ....

EDIT.: my atheros wifi that was working with 10.7.2, now isn't recognized........

driedger

driedger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey guys, Ive been plugging away with 10.6.6 for quite some time now and everythings been great.

But, I managed to blow away my MBR the other day and lost chameleon, and can no longer boot into OSX. This has happened to me previously, and I have just started from scratch again because I could not find any resources on reinstalling chameleon, or getting it to boot my system again.

I have done some searching again, and still have not found anything to help me. How would I go about reinstalling just the boot loader so I can get back into my system? I am currently running a triple boot system with Windows 7 and Linux Mint if that makes any difference.

ANy help would be appreciated, thanks!

Mark

otropatolucas

otropatolucas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Hi, does anyone have working speedstep on 1201n and 10.6.8? I have everything working on my asus and the only thing i'm missing is working power managemeng, cpu speedstep.
Thanks

Hello,
I've the same problem, I've bought an 1201N yesterday and today I've installed 10.6.8 and the fan is at maximum all the time. Really too noise for me.
Any suggestion?

thanks

wankus

wankus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, i screwed up with trying to install lion and now trying to install back 10.6.8 with no luck. I am installing retail 10.6.0 and doing step by step guide by juice and always get the same error. Strange, i tried couple of times and always the same error while trying to update to 10.6.8 by combo update...
Any clue how can i install this combo update 10.6.8? I really follow guide from page 121 step by step and it's not working...

when I rename mach_kernel to mach_kernel_old i get JavaScript error and cannot update anyhow.

any tips?

Thanks

Attached Files

otropatolucas

otropatolucas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Hi,
Finally I installed 10.6.4 with mosslack's guide and all works very well (except wlan, of course). Only a problem: I can´t see the battery level in the bar icon, it appears ever with the supply plug. Can anyone help me, please?

thanks

ice_pdb

ice_pdb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
wankus, hello I only had that error with a bad downloaded image of the combo update.. I guess it applies here too.... good luck!

cryptic unix

cryptic unix

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
I want to Install Snow Leopard (not Lion) to an Asus 1201N but I'm a bit confused about all the guides. So should I be following the guide from the first post (with the Google Link: https://sites.google...site/asusguide/) or the one quoted below?

My next question is, if I follow the below quoted guide can I be using a 10.6.3 Retail DVD (which I have) or do I need a 10.6.0 DVD? It would be great if I could use the 10.6.3 DVD which I already have.

Thanks!

Snow Leopard 10.6.8 v1.1 x86_64 and i386 Update 4.0 (FULL INSTALL & UPDATE FORM ANY VERSION)

This guide was made using mosslac, VMonHeros, TiGuy82, teateam and my ;) guide

CHANGELOG:

version 4.0

• corrected some unclear steps in how to "UPDATE FROM ANY VERSION TO 10.6.8 v1.1 x86_64 or i386"  thx to flydef
  • added 3gb dsdt to the package
  • added how to update from any version to 10.6.8 v1.1
                version 3.0

• Updated to 10.6.8 v1.1 using Software Update... (Works like a charm!!!) Reinstall audio kexts using kext utility
                version 2.0

• Fan speed seems to be working properly
  • DSDT 4gb is now correct (previously there was a P-State error and speed stepping didn't work correctly) thx to hnvijay
  • Two finger scrolling is working thx to hnvijay for info
                Most recent package version at the bottom of the post

---------------Things that aren't working------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• multi-touch gestures (only two finger scrolling is working)

• sleep, lid sleep (if using usb mouse sleep won't work)
  • cpu fan speed is always maxed
  • facetime mic
  • bluetooth ghosts
  • native wifi (WLAN can be fixed with Dell 1510 card)
------------------------FULL INSTALL-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 - Before ejecting the flash drive from the system you prepared it on, run the NetbookBootMaker choosing the flash drive as the target.  This will install the correct boot files to the flash drive so it will be able to boot the Asus 1201N and install Snow Leopard on it. Once it is finished, eject the flash drive.
                Note: Before the next step, make sure you have any files you wish to save from the hard drive backed up as the hard drive will be erased in the next steps.

Step 2 - Insert the prepared flash drive into a USB slot on the Asus 1201N and power on the unit. Press F2 to go into the BIOS section.  Press F9 to load the Setup Defaults.  Select OK.  Press F10 to Save configuration changes and exit now.  Select OK.
                          2a - When the system restarts, press ESC at the first screen to go to the boot menu.  Choose the flash drive as the boot device and press Enter.

Step 3 - After a short time, you should be presented with the language choice screen for the installer.

3a - Go to the Utilities menu and choose Disk Utility.
                3b - Select the internal hard drive and press Partition to reformat the hard drive for use in Snow Leopard.
                3c - However you decide to partition your hard drive, the first partition needs to be for Snow Leopard and must be formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
                3d - Be sure to click the Options button and select the GUID Partition Table and then press Apply.  Close Disk Utility after the drive has been partitioned.

Step 4 - Once back at the Installer, follow the prompts and be sure to choose the Snow Leopard partition you just setup as the location to install OS X.
                4a - After doing this, click the Customize button and select which options you want or don't want to install.
                4b - Click Install when you are finished and sit back and wait for the system to be installed.  It is normal with this install for the time to go down to a certain point, (7-11 minutes remaining is common) and just stop there.  As long as the progress bar is very near the end and has stopped moving, it is safe to go ahead and reboot.
                4c - You will have to manually press and hold the power button when the screen goes dark as the system is not yet setup to shutdown and restart.

Step 5 - Power up the Asus 1201N, again hitting ESC and choosing the USB flash drive.
                5a - This time when the gui boot menu appears, press the space bar and then cursor over to select the hard drive you just installed Snow Leopard onto and press Enter.
                5b - Once the opening video plays, just follow the prompts to finish setting up Snow Leopard.

Step 6 - Once at the desktop, the first order of business is to move all of the current files in /Extra folder to the trash.  You will have to enter your password for this operation.
                Step 7 - Run the 1201N installer package v4 which was in the install files you just downloaded.  Make sure the target is your newly prepared Snow Leopard hard drive.
                Step 8 - Delete all the files and folders from Extra folder (again)
                Step 9 - Copy Extra folder from downloaded files.
                Step 10 - Open up Terminal and run the following commands :

cd ..

cd ..

ls (to check that you are at the root of your disk)

sudo su (and type your password)

sudo cp /mach_kernel_atom / (Tea's kernel 10.8.0 i386/x86_64)

sudo chflags hidden /mach_kernel_atom
                Step 11 - Install the Chameleon RC5 (Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r914.zip)
                Step 12 - Rebuild all your kext cache with Kext Utility
                Step 13 - Install the 10.6.8 v1.1 combo update which you can transfer over on a flash drive.
                Step 14 - Reboot when prompted. (Use power button to turn off)
                Step 14 - Deleted all my network interfaces in Network System Prefs
                Step 15 - Go to Library > Preferences > System Configuration and delete NetworkInterfaces.plist
                Step 16 - Substitute the correct dsdt.aml file for your installed memory size in the /Extra folder
                Step 17 - Reboot

------------------------UPDATE FROM ANY VERSION TO 10.6.8 v1.1 x86_64 or i386------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 - Delete all the files and folders from Extra folder.
                Step 2 - Copy Extra folder from downloaded files.
                Step 3 - Open up Terminal and run the following commands :

cd ..

cd ..

ls (to check that you are at the root of your disk)

sudo su (and type your password)

sudo mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel_old (Renames default kernel into mach_kernel_old)

sudo cp /mach_kernel_atom / (Tea's kernel 10.8.0 i386/x86_64)

sudo chflags hidden /mach_kernel_atom
                Step 4 - Install the Chameleon RC5 (Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r914.zip)
                Step 6 - Remove VoodooHDA.kext from S/L/E/ (if you have it, if not skip this step)
                Step 7 - Rebuild all your kext cache with Kext Utility
                Step 8 - Install the 10.6.8 v1.1 combo update.
Step 7 - Substitute the correct dsdt.aml file for your installed memory size in the /Extra folder
                Step 9 - Reboot when prompted.

---------------------Mac App Store Errors--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have MAS error like

• "No GUID is available"
  • "Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance."
go throught steps below

Step 1 - Go to Library > Preferences > System Configuration and delete NetworkInterfaces.plist

Step 2 - Reboot

If that won't help, please check your com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra folder if there's a code:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>

if not add it and reboot

----------------------OPTIONAL-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOUND: To get sound working, drag the AppleHDA.kext to the Kext Utility icon to install it.  Next drag the IOAudioFamily.kext to the Kext Utility icon to install it. Restart once these two kext have been installed.

ETHERNET: To enable the onboard ethernet connector, drag the AtherosL1cEthernet.kext to the Kext Utility icon to install it. Reboot.

BOOT INTO 32 BIT:

change this code inside the com.apple.Boot.plist in your /Extra folder:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string>npci=0x2000</string>
                to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string>arch=i386 npci=0x2000</string>

-----------------------FILES------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10.6.8 v1.1 update instruction x64 and i386 v4.0.zip

http://www.mediafire...8rcvkd5qm4cf102

otropatolucas

otropatolucas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Hi,
Finally I installed 10.6.4 with mosslack's guide and all works very well (except wlan, of course). Only a problem: I can´t see the battery level in the bar icon, it appears ever with the supply plug. Can anyone help me, please?

thanks

Hello,
Can anyone help me with the battery icon problem? I've readed all the topic but without succes.

Thanks

otropatolucas

otropatolucas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Hi, i screwed up with trying to install lion and now trying to install back 10.6.8 with no luck. I am installing retail 10.6.0 and doing step by step guide by juice and always get the same error. Strange, i tried couple of times and always the same error while trying to update to 10.6.8 by combo update...
Any clue how can i install this combo update 10.6.8? I really follow guide from page 121 step by step and it's not working...

when I rename mach_kernel to mach_kernel_old i get JavaScript error and cannot update anyhow.

any tips?

Thanks

I had the same error and I renamed mach_kernel_old to mach_kernel and I installed the 10.6.8 without problems.

otropatolucas

otropatolucas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Hello,
Can anyone help me with the battery icon problem? I've readed all the topic but without succes.

Thanks

I've installed SlimBtteryMonitor http://www.orange-ca.../downloads.html and the icon works properly. Now, I'm very happy with my 10.6.4.

otropatolucas

otropatolucas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Hi,
After install osx I could hear a regular click from my HDD. I've installed hdapm http://mckinlay.net.nz/hdapm/ and the clicks are decreasing. Do you installed this program? Do you know another better solution for these clicks?

thanks

Styrczu

Styrczu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I got my 1201N working properly under 10.7.3 Lion but I really need build in WLAN.
Will the Atheros AR5B93 work under 10.7.3 without any problems?
I found some threads about that card (for instance this one) but I want to be sure that it will really work with 1201N 10.7.3 :)

Please reply asap! Thanks in advance. ;)

ice_pdb

ice_pdb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
If it's the same card... (model obviously) should work, my AR5B91 worked without installing any kext... good luck! just install that kext if your's isn't working and tell us how it came....

PS: excuse my bad english! lol

cryptic unix

cryptic unix

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Hi,
After install osx I could hear a regular click from my HDD. I've installed hdapm http://mckinlay.net.nz/hdapm/ and the clicks are decreasing. Do you installed this program? Do you know another better solution for these clicks?

thanks

This is probably due to the kind of power management of the HDD. Many 2,5" disks (and an increasing amount of 3,5" disks) have pretty aggressive power saving settings. They bring the heads quite fastly into a parking position if the disk is not accessed. I'll give you an example (with arbitraty numbers), let's they the heads are parked after 5 seconds of inactivity. But on the other hand the OS is using the HDD every 10 seconds. This will result in parking/unparking in a 5 second cycle, causing those clicks. One smart value of the HDD corresponds to this, the load cycle count. Considering an average lifetime of 300,000-600,000 load cycles for a common HDD this agressive power saving of a HDD can easily cause to reach those numbers within a view months.

Besides this annoying clicking this behaviour can even cause harm to your HDD (Linux has this problem as well here you can use hdparm to change the apm settings). Changing the the power saving settings like you did is your best bet. With some HDD the manufacturer offers a tool to change those settings within the fireware (I think WD provided such a tool for some of its HDDs). Besides this you can only change your HDDs but unfortunately many HDDs within nowadays have this problem. I only tend to use 24/7 2,5" HDDs, which should not be expected to park their heads that often. I myself exchange the HDD of a notebook most of the time by a 24/7 model. You could use the old HDD as an external usb-drive. As a none system disk the disk will not encounter so many accesses.

Hope this helps.

otropatolucas

otropatolucas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for your reply. Then if I understand, hdparm for osx is the same that hdparm for linux, Isn't? And that is the best way without change the hdd. Is it ok?
regards

cryptic unix

cryptic unix

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
@otropatolucas

I think you mean hdapm for OS X is the same as hdparm for Linux.
When it comes to power management you're right, as you can set the "performance level" for a HDD with both programms. But besides this hdparm can even be used to do more. So hdapm offers only a certain functionality of hdparm.

otropatolucas

otropatolucas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Thanks

Styrczu

Styrczu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

If it's the same card... (model obviously) should work, my AR5B91 worked without installing any kext... good luck! just install that kext if your's isn't working and tell us how it came....

PS: excuse my bad english! lol

Atheros AR5B93 WLAN Card works flawlessly on 10.7.3 Lion
TESTED :thumbsup_anim:

zcream

zcream

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Does anyone remember the shortcut to access chameleon boot menu if the Timeout=0 ?

My system is not booting, and I want to try the -s -x -f options, except I can no longer access the chameleon screen as it picks up the HDD too quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy