Asus 1201N Installation and support

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2586 replies to this topic

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Can't help you on that as I never did go that route. Mine was at 10.6.5 when I updated to Lion. Sorry, maybe someone else knows?

tomlis20

tomlis20

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I just want to have Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I have tried with Lion many times but it just doesnt work for me. I have asked on this forum but no one could help unfortunately. Anyway, thank you for interesting. Maybe someone else can help, please? unless you can answer my question - is it worth upgrading to 10.6.8? Does this upgrade make big difference to 10.6.6 version? :D

ice_pdb

ice_pdb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

My machine is: ASUS 1201NL

I am having an issue with updating SL from 10.6.6 to 10.6.8 using guide from this topic. When I want to run a updating combo package it says:

Mac OSX Update Combined can't be installed on this disk. An error occured while evaluating JavaScript for the package

I have run through google before I posted it, but I didn't find anything what would be helpful for me.

I have tried one method someone suggested to fix mach_kernel_atom permissions, but it didnt help. Also I have checked checksum of downloaded file and it is correct.

Does it give any idea what can be wrong? Thank you. I appreciate this.

I had that message sometimes... and had to download combo again.... try checking the SHA1 if matches with the one in the apple support download site.. Good luck!

Just one question I was trying to play some 1080p video from youtube and found that it's very choppy... does anyone having the same issue? ..

Thanks in advance!..

Ps: What I mean is if someone found the solution to this know problem... thanks!

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

Just one question I was trying to play some 1080p video from youtube and found that it's very choppy... does anyone having the same issue? ..

I think the problem is the flash player, make sure you are using the latest version. HTH

ice_pdb

ice_pdb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

I think the problem is the flash player, make sure you are using the latest version. HTH

Thanks for the tip, but I have to reinstall Lion 'cause I've forced installed www.nvidia.com GForce 9400M driver for Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and I lost QI/CE... I'm making a backup right now... Hope to be able to enable Facetime and iCloud again... :unsure:

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Just like to announce that the motherboard for the 3rd annual HQ-A Project System has been chosen. This year the membership of HQ-A will be in charge of how the system will be constructed and configured, as well as responsible for it's ultimate operation.

Of course the best part is that some lucky member will own this system on or about March 7, 2012! You can surf on over here for more details. http://hackintoshq-a.blogspot.com/

1337David

1337David

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hey I've reinstalled Mac OS X on my netbook and now my fans sound like helicopters. The fans run fine on the mac OS X install USB but go crazy after everything is in place. Is anyone else running into this issue and/or have a possible solution?

yngv27

yngv27

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I just want to express my greatest appreciation to the brain trust here:

mosslack, meklort, amf5, Kosterin Anton, DiDDyDy, Vince22, WmMays

and all other contributors here who have worked into the wee hours to bring the Mac OS to us folk who love the OS, but lack the cash for the retail route. A special THANKS to mosslack for the step by step guide which worked impeccably (my first attempt failed because of ME not following directions.. i.e., rebooting after installing the Asus Install pkg and NOT updating to 10.6.4 FIRST [hence, a version conflict during reboot].. LFMF)

My 1201N has gone from "feh" to "smokin". Thank you all!!

jv

rst007

rst007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
i got this Ebios read error 0xFF 4times when i boot my asus 1201N (running snow 10.6.8), he also have this problem when booting in 10.6.0 right after install, any1 knows the solution for this?
System boots fine after this, so it's a bit stupid to keep this error whole the time :D

BTW i'm having speedstep problems when i tried Lion? (but i prefer Snow leopard over lion)

Edit: not only in Lion, Also in Snow leopard, is it normal Cpu is whole the time between 90-100%

batterylife is extremely short this way, noboy on this topic mensioned this???
I use the 2gb DSDT and only have 2ours batterylife with mac, in windows i easely get 4-5 ours.......

nobody knows a solution?

itsonlygeorge

itsonlygeorge

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

My machine is: ASUS 1201NL

I am having an issue with updating SL from 10.6.6 to 10.6.8 using guide from this topic. When I want to run a updating combo package it says:

Mac OSX Update Combined can't be installed on this disk. An error occured while evaluating JavaScript for the package

I have run through google before I posted it, but I didn't find anything what would be helpful for me.

I have tried one method someone suggested to fix mach_kernel_atom permissions, but it didnt help. Also I have checked checksum of downloaded file and it is correct.

Does it give any idea what can be wrong? Thank you. I appreciate this.

If i remember correctly, part of the update to 10.6.8 involved renaming the mach_kernel to something like mach_kernel_old and replacing it as part of the update. The modified kernel tea kernel is what causes the error, since it is obviously different from what the Combo Update wants. I ran into this a few times and the ONLY way around it is to replace your current kernel with the original kernel for the duration of the install. Boot as normal and DO NOT RESTART with the old kernel... no idea what would happen there...

General Process:
1. Rename mach_kernel to mach_kernel_new in your root directory (in terminal us 'cd /' to get to root directory or 'cd ..' a few times)
2. Rename mach_kernel_old (from previous version) to mach_kernel (DO NOT RESTART!!!)
3. Perform update to 10.6.7 or 10.6.8
4. Rename mach_kernel to mach_kernel_old
5. Rename mach_kernel_new to mach_kernel
6. Restart AFTER UPDATE IS COMPLETE and New Kernel has replaced the mach_kernel_old backup

This did the trick for me. It basically tricks the installer into authenticating the update with the old mach_kernel. (As far as I can tell)

You will need to do this using the terminal and the mv command:

Commands:
cd /
mv mach_kernel mach_kernel_new
mv mach_kernel_old mach_kernel

DO INSTALL NOW

mv mach_kernel mach_kernel_old
mv mach_kernel_new mach_kernel

tomlis20

tomlis20

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
You are absolutely awesome! That actually DID the thing. Thank you. Massive beer for that man. Well done :)

So it is just simply renaming mach_kernel_atom to mach_kernel for installation needs and then renaming back to mach_kernel_atom.

If you tried to restart with mach_kernel (he default one), you would simply get Kernel Panic and the only way to fix is to boot up from USB stick, go to Terminal and rename it correctly, I guess :)

itsonlygeorge

itsonlygeorge

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
I don't think you can modify system files via the terminal when you boot from the USB stick, I had a lot of trouble changing my boot.plist when I was messing with 64 bit mode. It wouldn't boot and I couldn't get into single-user mode either. I was trying to boot various linux installs at some point, not sure if thats how I fixed it. I'm pretty sure the terminal off the Install DVD only lets you access the file system of the DVD...

andre1233

andre1233

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I was successful in updating to 10.6.8 partially following this guide. it's instructions wasn't very clear but it got the job done. I would say that the attached files were brilliant! they fixed my battery issues as it included the 2GB dsdt i needed. also the boot.plist has the mach_kernel_atom entry in there which makes updating easy as it can be copied over before the update and doesn't require removing the default mach_kernel.

Upon rebooting only sound was broke. the 2 included files for sound fixed this. I will say though, the included download has 2 AppleHDA files, 1 ZIP'ed (not sure why)

Heres the steps I took from being on 10.6.6:

Deleted my /Extra folder
Copied the included Extra folder from the download to the root of my partition
Replaced the dsdt with the 2GB Version
Moved the included mach_kernel_atom to the root of my hdd
opened terminal
entered "cd .." twice
entered "sudo su" then password
entered "sudo chflags hidden /mach_kernel_atom"
Installed the included Chameleon Bootloader
Installed the 10.6.8 Combo Update
Ran Kext Utility
Rebooted.
Installed AppleHDA and IOAudioFamily with Kext Installer b7
Ran Kext Utility
Rebooted.
Done.

Anyway, Hope this helps a little :)

Hi this is my first post
and answer to mosslack request to write about experiences with tutorial from page 121.
First i want to say thank you to everybody who wrote software and tutorials to make asus 1201n osx installation possible
I followed guide on the first page and it got me to 10.6.4 version without any problems
next i followed guide on page 121 by crazyjuice
i run into problem with java script error when installing 10.6.8 v1.1 combo update
the solution is in the quote above
mach_kernel should not be renamed to mach_kernel_old this line "sudo mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel_old" causes the problem
only mach_kernel_atom needs to be copied to root folder
without renaming mach_kernel combo update can be done using downloaded earlier MacOSXUpdCombo 10.6.8.dmg file
it will run without problems. i have mach_kernel file sitting in root folder doing nothing
Someone smartly took care of everything by puting mach_kernel_atom in plist file
hope it clarifies this problem
i had more problems passing the quize tests than with your guides :)
thank you

itsonlygeorge

itsonlygeorge

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
I am having trouble geting my Tascam US-122 to show up and work. I installed the latest drivers from the tascam site, but the device doesnt show up. It lights up and is geting power, and shows up in the System Profiler, but I can't use it. It might have something to do with the fact that the drivers are 32 bit, but I am not booting in 64 bit. It works fine on my Macbook Pro, so I know the interface is not dead. Help!

http://tascam.com/pr...-122/downloads/

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

I am having trouble geting my Tascam US-122 to show up and work. I installed the latest drivers from the tascam site, but the device doesnt show up. It lights up and is geting power, and shows up in the System Profiler, but I can't use it. It might have something to do with the fact that the drivers are 32 bit, but I am not booting in 64 bit. It works fine on my Macbook Pro, so I know the interface is not dead. Help!

http://tascam.com/pr...-122/downloads/

I assume this is supposed to show up under the sound pref pane? Knowing how flaky the USB on the 1201n is, I just wonder if that might be the problem. Just a thought.

alphaplayer

alphaplayer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi everybody!

My Lion 10.7.3 crashed today on my 1201N and I want to give a chance to Snow Leopard again on this netbook. I'm searching only for performance and stability. I won't use Facetime, iCloud or something like that. Lion always gave me some problems like the speeding of the fan.

I only want to search for an oppinion for installing Snow Leopard instead of Lion. What's your better choice?

Thanks for all!

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
I just updated my 1201N to 10.7.3 today and have had no real problems with mine running Lion. To be fair, I don't do that much with mine, but is seems to run just fine for the things I have done.

zcream

zcream

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Does this work for 10.6.8 update as well ?

I have an ASUS 1201n with 2GB memory with BIOS 326 and this is the way I got everything working properly.

Mine Hard Drive only has 1 partition! (for MacOS installation) - NO dual boot

FOLLOW THIS TUTORIAL ONLY IF YOU HAVE 2GB OF MEMORY!

I attached all files needed! You have to Login to have acess to the files.

- Install MacOS (following the mosslack tutorial) - I prepared my external hard drive (USB) using Snow Leopard 10.6.0 DVD
- After you finished installing the MacOS (Welcome Screen)
- Remove the files and folders on EXTRA folder
- Run Asus 1201N Installer package v4 (Asus 1201N Installer package v4.zip)
- Delete all the files and folders from Extra folder (again), and put the files that leclercqr posted (EXTRA 10.6.5.zip) - I modified them to work with the 10.6.5 combo update
- Install (put) Kext Utility on your Desktop (Kext.zip)
- Run the Kext Utility (password is requested)
- Update to 10.6.5 (combo update) - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1324
- Restart (I have to press power button for a while and press it again to turn on the netbook)
- Put AsusHotKey.kext (AsusHotKey.zip) on Extra/Extensions
- drag and drop the AppleHDA.kext (Kext.zip) on the Kext Utility (desktop) and after it finish, drag and drop IOAudioFamily.Kext (Kext.zip) on the Kext Utility (desktop)
- Restart...
- Go to System Preferences - Right click on VoodooHDA - Remove "VoodooHDA" Preference Pane

Optional

64 Bits Kernel / update atom kernel

- Download 10.6.5 patched kernel: http://www.mediafire...jfph92xtp16m13m , unzip it to the desktop using, you will see a file named mach_kernel_atom on the desktop
- Open Terminal

cd Desktop
cp mach_kernel_atom /
sudo chown 0:0 /mach_kernel_atom
sudo chmod 644 /mach_kernel_atom
sudo chflags hidden /mach_kernel_atom
- Install the Chameleon RC5 (Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r619.zip)

How to install Chameleon:
- Open the installer
- Press Continue
- Press Continue
- Don't customize!
- Press Install

- Replace the boot files inside of 64 bits.zip or 32 bits.zip (depending what mode you want to use) to Extra Folder and Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration.
- Restart

DON'T USE 32 bits.zip or 64 bits.zip files if you don't update the kernel! They are modified to work with mach_kernel_atom!

How to put the netbook to sleep when the battery reach 3% or less?*
*MacOS checks the battery level every 2 minutes (120 seconds) and if it's 3% or less it puts the netbook to sleep

- Download the batterysleep.zip and extract it.
- Copy batterysave to /bin (to go to /bin, right click on Finder icon and "Go to folder...", /bin)
- Copy com.cellnet.batterysave.plist to /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ (to go to /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/, right click on Finder icon and "Go to folder...", /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/)
- Open Terminal
sudo su -
  chmod +x /bin/batterysave
  chown root:wheel /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.cellnet.batterysave.plist

I also followed the tutorial to make my DELL wifi card be recognized as an Airport card: http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1561429

A Huge THANK YOU to everyone who help me make my ASUS 1201n a good Mac machine :)

wankus

wankus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, does anyone have working speedstep on 1201n and 10.6.8? I have everything working on my asus and the only thing i'm missing is working power managemeng, cpu speedstep.
Thanks

ShareRiff

ShareRiff

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Guys need your help !
Spent 6 hours yesterday to create that **** bootable usb stick but failed.
My MBP is running on 10.7.3, i am using my sl 10.6.0 dvd and the netbookboot maker 0.8.4.RC1.
I portioned that stick with guid, mac os journaled and restored image from dvd to usb.
started net bookmaker. but when i plug the stick into my asus black screen with a blinking cursor shows up and that 's it / or the original win starts but does not boot from stick. it seems that stick is not bootable.
Bios settings : 1st boot device removable, 2nd dvd, 3rd hdd.
When i plug the stick back into my mbp it opens up and shows the sl installation files etc.
Can it be, that i am not able to create that sl boot stick under 10.7.3 ?
It seems that netbookboot maker does not change anything on the stick although it is showing some action when i start the app.
Need help - thanks in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy