• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2586 replies to this topic

Curtis.m.m

Curtis.m.m

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

This was a problem for me also, part of the reason I'm still on 10.6.4, never did see a solution posted. Other said their's works fine, not sure why this is only a problem for some. I've pretty much decided to wait for a Lion solution before I do anything else to mine.

Just curious, has anyone tried Prasys' solution for Atom based netbooks? http://prasys.info/ I haven't, but thought maybe some brave soul might have tried it.

Thats curious because my battery meter never worked on 10.6.4. I'm going to give 10.6.8 later on tonight. I'll do a TM backup and give it a shot ill post detailed results later on.

Also i would like to ask anyone who has installed 4GB of ram if their battery meter is working with the 4GB dsdt because i'm thinking thats the issue maybe.

hnvijay

hnvijay

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Thats curious because my battery meter never worked on 10.6.4. I'm going to give 10.6.8 later on tonight. I'll do a TM backup and give it a shot ill post detailed results later on.

Also i would like to ask anyone who has installed 4GB of ram if their battery meter is working with the 4GB dsdt because i'm thinking thats the issue maybe.

I am on 10.6.8 x86_64 4GB memory, battery indicator is working with 4GB dsdt.

Attached File  dsdt4g.zip   18.81KB   43 downloads

crazyjuice

crazyjuice

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
can somebody tell me how to download lion from MAS ???

i have a message "This version of Mac OS X 10.7 cannot be installed on this computer." ????

im running 10.6.8 in 64bit 4gig ram

i read that we need to change something in smbios.plist or not

some people say we need a new bootloader ;/

thx

Tiresandals

Tiresandals

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

can somebody tell me how to download lion from MAS ???

i have a message "This version of Mac OS X 10.7 cannot be installed on this computer." ????

im running 10.6.8 in 64bit 4gig ram

i read that we need to change something in smbios.plist or not

some people say we need a new bootloader ;/

thx

Thank your for at least trying it out to see what happens. Saved me $30 for now... (which I would/will gladly pay for a working install of 10.7 on my 1201n)

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Well, for all you wanna be Lion runners, some good news from Prasys at least. He thinks it will be possible to run Lion on the Atom netbooks as he aludes to in his latest blog here: http://prasys.info/ He offers no firm solution at the moment, he is on a trip, but promises more at a later date. So stay tuned, we may get to run the latest/greatest OS from Apple yet on our Asus 1201N.

1337David

1337David

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Hi All,

have somebody a little time to write a "How to" update for 10.6.8 ?
I use my 1201NL and 1201N, and I dont want to brick them all.
I use now 10.6.7 with 32 Bits everything work except BIOS resetting every time (Restart, Shutdown)

Just a Step by Step description, I think it would be helpful for a lot of members.

(Maybe Lion... ? )

Thanks in advance.

I'm gonna second this, since 10.6.8 is most likely the last version of Snow Leopard it'd be nice to have our guides in order with it. I use my 1201N daily and don't have the patience or time to risk bricking it.

I personally think the 1201N is weak enough with SL and I think Lion would be too much. As well some Lion reviews were rotten and I want Rosetta support (StarCraft 1).

crazyjuice

crazyjuice

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Snow Leopard 10.6.8 v1.1 x86_64 and i386 Update 4.0 (FULL INSTALL & UPDATE FORM ANY VERSION)

This guide was made using mosslac, VMonHeros, TiGuy82, teateam and my :D guide

CHANGELOG:

version 4.0

• corrected some unclear steps in how to "UPDATE FROM ANY VERSION TO 10.6.8 v1.1 x86_64 or i386" thx to flydef
  • added 3gb dsdt to the package
  • added how to update from any version to 10.6.8 v1.1
version 3.0

• Updated to 10.6.8 v1.1 using Software Update... (Works like a charm!!!) Reinstall audio kexts using kext utility
version 2.0

• Fan speed seems to be working properly
  • DSDT 4gb is now correct (previously there was a P-State error and speed stepping didn't work correctly) thx to hnvijay
  • Two finger scrolling is working thx to hnvijay for info
Most recent package version at the bottom of the post

---------------Things that aren't working------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• multi-touch gestures (only two finger scrolling is working)
  • sleep, lid sleep (if using usb mouse sleep won't work)
  • cpu fan speed is always maxed
  • facetime mic
  • bluetooth ghosts
  • native wifi (WLAN can be fixed with Dell 1510 card)
------------------------FULL INSTALL-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 - Before ejecting the flash drive from the system you prepared it on, run the NetbookBootMaker choosing the flash drive as the target. This will install the correct boot files to the flash drive so it will be able to boot the Asus 1201N and install Snow Leopard on it. Once it is finished, eject the flash drive.
Note: Before the next step, make sure you have any files you wish to save from the hard drive backed up as the hard drive will be erased in the next steps.

Step 2 - Insert the prepared flash drive into a USB slot on the Asus 1201N and power on the unit. Press F2 to go into the BIOS section. Press F9 to load the Setup Defaults. Select OK. Press F10 to Save configuration changes and exit now. Select OK.
2a - When the system restarts, press ESC at the first screen to go to the boot menu. Choose the flash drive as the boot device and press Enter.

Step 3 - After a short time, you should be presented with the language choice screen for the installer.

3a - Go to the Utilities menu and choose Disk Utility.
3b - Select the internal hard drive and press Partition to reformat the hard drive for use in Snow Leopard.
3c - However you decide to partition your hard drive, the first partition needs to be for Snow Leopard and must be formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
3d - Be sure to click the Options button and select the GUID Partition Table and then press Apply. Close Disk Utility after the drive has been partitioned.

Step 4 - Once back at the Installer, follow the prompts and be sure to choose the Snow Leopard partition you just setup as the location to install OS X.
4a - After doing this, click the Customize button and select which options you want or don't want to install.
4b - Click Install when you are finished and sit back and wait for the system to be installed. It is normal with this install for the time to go down to a certain point, (7-11 minutes remaining is common) and just stop there. As long as the progress bar is very near the end and has stopped moving, it is safe to go ahead and reboot.
4c - You will have to manually press and hold the power button when the screen goes dark as the system is not yet setup to shutdown and restart.

Step 5 - Power up the Asus 1201N, again hitting ESC and choosing the USB flash drive.
5a - This time when the gui boot menu appears, press the space bar and then cursor over to select the hard drive you just installed Snow Leopard onto and press Enter.
5b - Once the opening video plays, just follow the prompts to finish setting up Snow Leopard.

Step 6 - Once at the desktop, the first order of business is to move all of the current files in /Extra folder to the trash. You will have to enter your password for this operation.
Step 7 - Run the 1201N installer package v4 which was in the install files you just downloaded. Make sure the target is your newly prepared Snow Leopard hard drive.
Step 8 - Delete all the files and folders from Extra folder (again)
Step 9 - Copy Extra folder from downloaded files.
Step 10 - Open up Terminal and run the following commands :

cd ..

cd ..

ls (to check that you are at the root of your disk)

sudo su (and type your password)

sudo cp /mach_kernel_atom / (Tea's kernel 10.8.0 i386/x86_64)

sudo chflags hidden /mach_kernel_atom
Step 11 - Install the Chameleon RC5 (Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r914.zip)
Step 12 - Rebuild all your kext cache with Kext Utility
Step 13 - Install the 10.6.8 v1.1 combo update which you can transfer over on a flash drive.
Step 14 - Reboot when prompted. (Use power button to turn off)
Step 14 - Deleted all my network interfaces in Network System Prefs
Step 15 - Go to Library > Preferences > System Configuration and delete NetworkInterfaces.plist
Step 16 - Substitute the correct dsdt.aml file for your installed memory size in the /Extra folder
Step 17 - Reboot

------------------------UPDATE FROM ANY VERSION TO 10.6.8 v1.1 x86_64 or i386------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 - Delete all the files and folders from Extra folder.
Step 2 - Copy Extra folder from downloaded files.
Step 3 - Open up Terminal and run the following commands :

cd ..

cd ..

sudo mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel_old (Renames default kernel into mach_kernel_old)

sudo cp /mach_kernel_atom / (Tea's kernel 10.8.0 i386/x86_64)

Step 4 - Install the Chameleon RC5 (Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r914.zip)
Step 6 - Remove VoodooHDA.kext from S/L/E/ (if you have it, if not skip this step)
Step 7 - Rebuild all your kext cache with Kext Utility
Step 8 - Install the 10.6.8 v1.1 combo update.
Step 7 - Substitute the correct dsdt.aml file for your installed memory size in the /Extra folder
Step 9 - Reboot when prompted.

---------------------Mac App Store Errors--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have MAS error like
  • "No GUID is available"
  • "Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance."
go throught steps below

Step 1 - Go to Library > Preferences > System Configuration and delete NetworkInterfaces.plist

Step 2 - Reboot

If that won't help, please check your com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra folder if there's a code:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>

if not add it and reboot

----------------------OPTIONAL-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOUND: To get sound working, drag the AppleHDA.kext to the Kext Utility icon to install it. Next drag the IOAudioFamily.kext to the Kext Utility icon to install it. Restart once these two kext have been installed.

ETHERNET: To enable the onboard ethernet connector, drag the AtherosL1cEthernet.kext to the Kext Utility icon to install it. Reboot.

BOOT INTO 32 BIT:

change this code inside the com.apple.Boot.plist in your /Extra folder:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string>npci=0x2000</string>
to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string>arch=i386 npci=0x2000</string>

-----------------------FILES------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10.6.8 v1.1 update instruction x64 and i386 v4.0.zip

http://www.mediafire...8rcvkd5qm4cf102

iciolozzo

iciolozzo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

I'm gonna second this, since 10.6.8 is most likely the last version of Snow Leopard it'd be nice to have our guides in order with it. I use my 1201N daily and don't have the patience or time to risk bricking it.

I personally think the 1201N is weak enough with SL and I think Lion would be too much. As well some Lion reviews were rotten and I want Rosetta support (StarCraft 1).

I am looking forward to have Lion support for 1201n.

I pimped my 1201N with 4gb ram Hyperx by Kingston and OCZ Solid State disc Vertex2, then enabled TRIM support.
And now I have a 450euros 1201n, performing like a 1.000euros Macbook Air.

So no fear of Lion now! ;-)

TiGuy82

TiGuy82

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Well, for all you wanna be Lion runners, some good news from Prasys at least. He thinks it will be possible to run Lion on the Atom netbooks as he aludes to in his latest blog here: http://prasys.info/ He offers no firm solution at the moment, he is on a trip, but promises more at a later date. So stay tuned, we may get to run the latest/greatest OS from Apple yet on our Asus 1201N.

Great News! I will return to Mac OS scene when 10.7 is available for 1201n :rolleyes:

crazyjuice, thank you for updating the tutorial!

vbcity

vbcity

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Snow Leopard 10.6.8 x86_64 and i386 FULL INSTALL

This guide was made using mosslac, vmonheroes, tiguy82, tea man and my :rolleyes: guide

All needed files are attached at the bottom of post.
This is torrent file so please when you donwload SEED!!

Things that are not working:

• multi-touch gesture
  • sleep, lid sleep
  • cpu fan speed is always maxed
  • facetime mic
  • bluetooth ghosts
  • native wifi
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 - Before ejecting the flash drive from the system you prepared it on, run the NetbookBootMaker choosing the flash drive as the target. This will install the correct boot files to the flash drive so it will be able to boot the Asus 1201N and install Snow Leopard on it. Once it is finished, eject the flash drive.
Note: Before the next step, make sure you have any files you wish to save from the hard drive backed up as the hard drive will be erased in the next steps.

Step 2 - Insert the prepared flash drive into a USB slot on the Asus 1201N and power on the unit. Press F2 to go into the BIOS section. Press F9 to load the Setup Defaults. Select OK. Press F10 to Save configuration changes and exit now. Select OK.
2a - When the system restarts, press ESC at the first screen to go to the boot menu. Choose the flash drive as the boot device and press Enter.

Step 3 - After a short time, you should be presented with the language choice screen for the installer.

3a - Go to the Utilities menu and choose Disk Utility.
3b - Select the internal hard drive and press Partition to reformat the hard drive for use in Snow Leopard.
3c - However you decide to partition your hard drive, the first partition needs to be for Snow Leopard and must be formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
3d - Be sure to click the Options button and select the GUID Partition Table and then press Apply. Close Disk Utility after the drive has been partitioned.

Step 4 - Once back at the Installer, follow the prompts and be sure to choose the Snow Leopard partition you just setup as the location to install OS X.
4a - After doing this, click the Customize button and select which options you want or don't want to install.
4b - Click Install when you are finished and sit back and wait for the system to be installed. It is normal with this install for the time to go down to a certain point, (7-11 minutes remaining is common) and just stop there. As long as the progress bar is very near the end and has stopped moving, it is safe to go ahead and reboot.
4c - You will have to manually press and hold the power button when the screen goes dark as the system is not yet setup to shutdown and restart.

Step 5 - Power up the Asus 1201N, again hitting ESC and choosing the USB flash drive.
5a - This time when the gui boot menu appears, press the space bar and then cursor over to select the hard drive you just installed Snow Leopard onto and press Enter.
5b - Once the opening video plays, just follow the prompts to finish setting up Snow Leopard.

Step 6 - Once at the desktop, the first order of business is to move all of the current files in /Extra folder to the trash. You will have to enter your password for this operation.
Step 7 - Run the 1201N installer package v4 which was in the install files you just downloaded. Make sure the target is your newly prepared Snow Leopard hard drive.
Step 8 - Delete all the files and folders from Extra folder (again)
Step 9 - Copy Extra folder from downloaded files.
Step 10 - Open up Terminal and run the following commands :

cd ..

cd ..

sudo cp /mach_kernel_atom (Tea's kernel 10.8.0 i386/x86_64)

Step 11 - Install the Chameleon RC5 (Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r914.zip)
Step 12 - Rebuild all your kext cache with Kext Utility
Step 13 - Install the 10.6.8 combo update which you can transfer over on a flash drive.
Step 14 - Reboot when prompted. (Use power button to turn off)
Step 14 - Deleted all my network interfaces in Network System Prefs
Step 15 - Go to Library > Preferences > System Configuration and delete NetworkInterfaces.plist
Step 16 - Substitute the correct dsdt.aml file for your installed memory size in the /Extra folder
Step 17 - Reboot

---------------------Mac App Store Error ("No GUID is available")-----------------

Step 1 - Go to Library > Preferences > System Configuration and delete NetworkInterfaces.plist

Step 2 - Reboot

---------------------------------OPTIONAL--------------------------------------------

SOUND: To get sound working, drag the AppleHDA.kext to the Kext Utility icon to install it. Next drag the IOAudioFamily.kext to the Kext Utility icon to install it. Restart once these two kext have been installed.

ETHERNET: To enable the onboard ethernet connector, drag the AtherosL1cEthernet.kext to the Kext Utility icon to install it. Reboot.

TO BOOT INTO 32 BIT

change this code:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=x86_64 npci=0x2000</string>

to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386 npci=0x2000</string>

Great Thanks

ringer31

ringer31

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
1) Install Chameleon 2.0 rc5 656 - PLEASE DO NOT REBOOT/LOG OFF (we do that to have the last Boot0 and Boot1 files installed via this package). Download it here http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1543024 and download the version construct with packagemaker (so the "package version").
2) Copy My Extra folder at the root of your disk (and replace yours). This one contains the needed files (and also the /modules directory of the Meklort Chameleon RC5 r671)
3) Open a terminal
a) cd ..
b ) cd ..
c) ls (to check that you are at the root of your disk)
d) sudo -s (and type your password)
e) rm boot (you delete the Chameleon boot file)
f) copy the boot file I provide here (it is the boot file of Meklort Chameleon RC5 r671)
4) Rebuild all your kext cache with Kext Utility
5) Reboot

I cannot seem to find the chameleon boot file I am supposed to delete and replace on root. When I attempt to remove boot I get 'no such file or directory. Is this normal? Thanks.

Solved

hnvijay

hnvijay

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Snow Leopard 10.6.8 x86_64 and i386 FULL INSTALL

Things that are not working:

• multi-touch gesture
  • sleep, lid sleep

For me, lid sleep, deepsleep works like a charm.

For multi touch gesture came across this VoodooPS2COntroller thread.

Work fine with OSX 10.6.4 in 64bit mode on ASUS M50VM laptop (synaptic TrackPad).
Everything work fine, TrackPad, with 2 fingers scrolling , keyboard.
Thanks a lot :wacko:

For more info,
http://forum.voodoop...opic,718.0.html
http://forum.voodoop...42.html#msg8442

64bit boot:
Kernel flags arch=x86_64, is redundant, as default boot is 64bit mode.

crazyjuice

crazyjuice

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

For me, lid sleep, deepsleep works like a charm.

For multi touch gesture came across this VoodooPS2COntroller thread.

For more info,
http://forum.voodoop...opic,718.0.html
http://forum.voodoop...42.html#msg8442

64bit boot:
Kernel flags arch=x86_64, is redundant, as default boot is 64bit mode.

i checked this solution but...

only two finger scrolling is working no multi-touch

how did you make to sleep working ? using legacy sleep enabler ?

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

Snow Leopard 10.6.8 x86_64 and i386 FULL INSTALL Update 2.0

This guide was made using mosslac, vmonheroes, tiguy82, tea man and my ;) guide

[b]Changelog 2.0

<SNIP>

Anyone who has tried this, please let me know if it works okay and I will add it to the guide which is listed in the first post. If it doesn't work, let me know that also. You don't need to PM me, just post your results on this thread. Thanks!

Curtis.m.m

Curtis.m.m

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Anyone who has tried this, please let me know if it works okay and I will add it to the guide which is listed in the first post. If it doesn't work, let me know that also. You don't need to PM me, just post your results on this thread. Thanks!

I was successful in updating to 10.6.8 partially following this guide. it's instructions wasn't very clear but it got the job done. I would say that the attached files were brilliant! they fixed my battery issues as it included the 2GB dsdt i needed. also the boot.plist has the mach_kernel_atom entry in there which makes updating easy as it can be copied over before the update and doesn't require removing the default mach_kernel.

Upon rebooting only sound was broke. the 2 included files for sound fixed this. I will say though, the included download has 2 AppleHDA files, 1 ZIP'ed (not sure why)

Heres the steps I took from being on 10.6.6:

Deleted my /Extra folder
Copied the included Extra folder from the download to the root of my partition
Replaced the dsdt with the 2GB Version
Moved the included mach_kernel_atom to the root of my hdd
opened terminal
entered "cd .." twice
entered "sudo su" then password
entered "sudo chflags hidden /mach_kernel_atom"
Installed the included Chameleon Bootloader
Installed the 10.6.8 Combo Update
Ran Kext Utility
Rebooted.
Installed AppleHDA and IOAudioFamily with Kext Installer b7
Ran Kext Utility
Rebooted.
Done.

Anyway, Hope this helps a little :)

crazyjuice

crazyjuice

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Upon rebooting only sound was broke. the 2 included files for sound fixed this. I will say though, the included download has 2 AppleHDA files, 1 ZIP'ed (not sure why)

Sorry that i forgot to mention about this file.

Zipped AppleHDA.zip its a file that has only one instance of internal mic (check System Preferences->Sound)
i thought it may be helpful to run facetime with internal mic.

The unzipped AppleHDA.kext has two instances of internal mic and mayby that, system is confused which one to use.
That's all the differences:)

hnvijay

hnvijay

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

ive checked this solution but...

only two finger scrolling is working no multi-touch

how did you make to sleep working ? using legacy sleep enabler ?

I am not using sleepenabler.kext. Here is my Extra folder with dsdt for 4gb, smbios, extensions and boot.plist.
Attached File  EXTRA_10.6.8.zip   343.11KB   127 downloads

crazyjuice

crazyjuice

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

I am not using sleepenabler.kext. Here is my Extra folder with dsdt for 4gb, smbios, extensions and boot.plist.
Attached File  EXTRA_10.6.8.zip   343.11KB   127 downloads

i replaced my extra folder with yours and here are the differences:

1. i cant turn off bluetooth changed to BroadcomUSB270Injector.kext
2. istat showing now only hd temp no cpu changed Fakesmc.kext
3. p-states and c-states seems to be working fine
4. i dont know if sleep is working (when i pressed fn+f1 pc goes to sleep but after 5 sec it wake's up automatically :/) problem is im using a usb mouse. when its connected sleep doesn't work so to make it work i have to unplugged and then works like a charm :( any idea where is the problem ?

what version of chameleon r u using ?
i assume u r using Tea Kernel ?

Curtis.m.m

Curtis.m.m

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Sorry that i forgot to mention about this file.

Zipped AppleHDA.zip its a file that has only one instance of internal mic (check System Preferences->Sound)
i thought it may be helpful to run facetime with internal mic.

The unzipped AppleHDA.kext has two instances of internal mic and mayby that, system is confused which one to use.
That's all the differences:)

Why would you need two instances of the internal mic?

Oh, something to note, after waking from sleep, Bluetooth gets turned off and WiFi gets disconnected. Just a note.

Thanks for the guide.

crazyjuice

crazyjuice

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Why would you need two instances of the internal mic?

Oh, something to note, after waking from sleep, Bluetooth gets turned off and WiFi gets disconnected. Just a note.

Thanks for the guide.

first applehda was take from mosslac guide and it has 2 internal mic
second one is modified to have only 1 internal mic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy