• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2586 replies to this topic

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

Asus 1201N Installation and Support

The purpose of this thread will be to assist those attempting to install and maintain Snow Leopard on the Asus 1201N netbook. All those who wish to participate are most welcome and encouraged to do so.

If you are interested in installing Lion on your 1201N, please check here for a guide to do so.

Please remember this is a developmental thread as well so sometimes ideas will be presented by those who are more experienced at this sort of thing, so don't try any new procedure presented unless you know what you are doing.

This top post will be regularly updated to reflect the status of this system!

(Last updated 10-28-11)

If you wish to read the old thread, it can be found here, but it has been closed so please post any new stuff on this thread. Thanks!

A combination overview and change log for both threads can be found here. Updated 05-01-10.

Many thanks go out to meklort, amf5, Kosterin Anton, DiDDyDy, Vince22, WmMays and anyone else I have left out from the original thread. All their efforts have been instrumental in getting this system operational. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Guides available

A guide (recently updated for 10.6.6 courtesy of VMonHeros) has been posted on Google sites here. The guide is constantly being updated with the best information on how to do the installation. To that end, it has come to my attention that installation of the system should only be performed using the system memory which comes with the unit. Upgrading to more memory can be performed after the system has been installed and details are provided in the guide.

And if you plan to dual boot with Windows 7, I have also posted a guide for that here as well. This guide does allow for the use of the restore DVD which came with the 1201N.

If you plan on replacing the wlan card and/or hard drive, a fully illustrated and annotated guide for that can be found here.

DSDT files for system memory upgrades are included with the install files. The download link is included in the guide.

Here is a list of what works and doesn't work at the present time:

Works
sleep
restart/shutdown (with evoreboot.kext)
bluetooth
two-finger scrolling
three finger swipe in Safari
SD reader
full GPU accleration (QE/CI)
sound (In and Out)
VGA out (monitor hotkey switches as it should)
HDMI out (video, but no audio)
1080p playback
webcam
hyperthreading
AHCI
x86_64 kernel
onboard ethernet
Netflix streaming (use latest version of Silverlight)
hotkeys for volume, brightness, etc. (Fixed using Meklort's Asus HotKeys.kext)

Doesn't work
native WLAN card - (WLAN can be fixed with Dell 1510 card listed below)

Dell 1510 WLAN card

The replacement Dell 1510 mini pci-e wlan card can be found on Ebay and directly from Dell.

USB/Wifi adapters

If you prefer not to change the wlan card you can use a USB wifi stick such as the Newer Tech MAXPower 802.11g/b available here for $19, or this one, the Hama WLAN USB-Stick 150 Mbps, Mini
Also the Asus USB-N13 is reported to work fine and is available at several places (NewEgg, Amazon, etc.) BTW, the Asus USB-N13 is capable of wireless 'N' speed.

USB/E-net adapters

Until such time as a fix for the built-in ethernet can be found, this USB adapter from Apple is confirmed to work with the 1201N, and is only $29.

Also a gigabit USB/ethernet adapter from Belkin can be found here, and drivers if needed can be found on the Belkin website.

BIOS

Latest BIOS is 0326 and is available here. If link is broken it means that Asus has pulled the bios. You can get 0321 here.

PeterHaas

PeterHaas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Doesn't work
stock networking cards (both wireless and wired - WLAN can be fixed with Dell 1510 card listed below)
audio (VoodooHDA works but sounds absolutely horrible)
hotkeys for volume, brightness, etc. (Some work, some don't)

The replacement Dell 1510 wifi card can be found on Ebay and directly from Dell.

Latest BIOS is v??? and is available here.

Updating the BIOS was pretty painless, although I used a USB floppy drive, a Fujitsu, originally intended for a Blue and White G3 Mac, and the MS-DOS-based BIOS updater, actually Caldera DR-DOS.

I have ordered the Dell WiFi card as the stock card is known not to work with OS X.

I am aware that there are issues when changing WiFi cards, and that the Win 7 restore DVD only works with the stock WiFi card, but that once that restore has been successfully completed, say, onto a multiply partitioned hard drive with provision for a subsequent OSx86 installation, the WiFi card may be changed to the Dell and Win 7 will accept the new card upon a reboot, and once Snow is installed, it will accept the new WiFi card, too.

I decided on a 500 GB, 7200 rpm, 16 MB cache hard drive mainly because one was on sale at the same price as a 500 GB, 5400 rpm, 8 MB cache drive, making the choice a simple one.

Looking forward to the dual-boot Guide.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Welcome and thanks for the comments.

The Dell mini PCIe card works fine with Windows 7 as I have that card in my HP Mini 311. IIRC Win 7 picks the card up and sets it up without the need for any drivers. I haven't tried the restore DVD, but I recently did a Dell system using the supplied restore DVD and it worked fine with the new hardware I installed in it.

Not sure how long it will take for the dual boot guide, I have started it but now am working on another problem involving the install guide which must be addressed prior to getting any more involved into other areas.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
For anyone having difficulties with the install guide I believe I have it fixed now so you should not have any more problems. As always, please advise if you do so I can make any necessary repairs.

I still have plans to add more to it as things progress unless someone comes up with a better one. Any new additions will be added as optional installs so you can pick and choose just how involved you want to be.

Also we are still looking for any other info which should be included in the top post, if you have a suggestion for that please let 'er rip!

EDIT: Should I post a link to voodoohda and the tea kernel on the first post? How about PC EFI 10.5? I don't want to confuse everyone on the first post so maybe not. Let me know.

JJRMac

JJRMac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe<br />CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k<br />Graphics: NVIDIA XF...
I was following the other post and posted about the UUID errors i had received. Instead of using the Sudo commands I used kext utility and it worked. I was able to update to 10.6.2. Shutdown seems to work. Restart/sleep still seem not to. The one thing that has changed now is that when I start up i get

EBIOS read error: Error 0xff
Block 0x0 Sectors 0

4 times, then it shows me the boot messages. Then on shutdown it shows me shutdown messages also.

Is this normal? If it is maybe you can add that to your guide just so some people don't get confused thinking something is wrong. And of course, if it is wrong then where did i go wrong?

I still occasionally boot up without keyboard/touch pad working but I just do a reboot and it works again.

I got my wifi card in the mail yesterday so I'm gonna install it this weekend. Then after that, my next step is trying to figure out how to dual boot this thing.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Does anyone else get this? BTW, did you use the new guide or the old one? I change it last night to use Kext Utility and it worked fine for me. If anyone else has a problem like this please let me know and I will make changes.

@JJRMac: If you could do another install using the new guide and files I would appreciate it as I made changes and added another kext to deal with the UUID error. The link on the guide will get you the new files, only the 1201.zip files has changed.

If anyone else has a spare drive they can try out the new guide with it would help me to make sure it works properly. Plus anyone who used the new guide please post your thoughts.

Thanks!

1201snow

1201snow

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
just as promised, I will try to post here a 5 step installation guide for absolute beginners
comme promis je vais essayer d'ecrire ici un tuto / guide d'installation pour vous comprenant 5 parties
wie versprochen schreibe ich hier eine anleitung fuer absolute anfaenger in 5 schritten

ASUS 1201N DUAL BOOT SNOW / SEVEN - 1/5 - TUTORIAL GUIDE ANLEITUNG

29.01.2010 giacomelli / 1201SNOW :P

Material:
8 Gb USB stick
Snow Leopard Retail DVD
Netbookmaker (thanks merci danke MEKLORT!): download1
Netbookinstaller (MEKLORT): download2

USB installation stick / preparer la cle d'installation / vorbereiten des USB sticks

a. 8 Gb USB drive -> disk utilities -> chose stick -> partition -> 1 partition (options: I've chosen MBR) -> apply
8 Go clé USB -> utilitaire de disques -> choisir cle USB -> partitionner -> 1 partition (options: MBR) -> appliquer
8 Gb USB stick -> festplattendienstprogramme -> stick auswaehlen -> 1 partition (Optionen: MBR) -> anlegen

b. insert your snow leopard retail DVD in your dvd drive
inserer le DVD de snow leopard dans votre lecteur
snow leopard retail DVD in laufwerk einlegen

c: choose the USB drive on the left -> restore -> drag the dvd to "where from", the USB stick to "target" -> apply
selectionner cle USB a gauche -> onglet restaurer -> tirer le dvd vers source, la cle USB vers cible -> appliquer
USB stick links auswaehlen -> wiederherstellen -> DVD auf "quelle" ziehen, stick auf "ziel" -> wiederherstellen

d: start netbookmaker -> choose your USB drive (not your hard disk!) -> install
demarrer netbookmaker -> indiquer la cle USB (et non votre disque dur!) -> installer
starten sie netbookmaker -> geben sie den USB stick als ziel an (nicht ihre festplatte!) -> installieren

e: drag netbookinstaller on the USB drive (copy it on it) - mayby you have to give your password to do so
tirer netbookinstaller sur votre cle USB (le copier sur la cle) - peut etre votre mot de passe sera demande
jetzt netbookinstaller auf den USB stick ziehen (draufkopieren) - vielleicht wird ihr passwort dazu erfragt

here we go
on continue
weiter geht's

-> 2/5

JJRMac

JJRMac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe<br />CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k<br />Graphics: NVIDIA XF...

Does anyone else get this? BTW, did you use the new guide or the old one? I change it last night to use Kext Utility and it worked fine for me. If anyone else has a problem like this please let me know and I will make changes.

@JJRMac: If you could do another install using the new guide and files I would appreciate it as I made changes and added another kext to deal with the UUID error. The link on the guide will get you the new files, only the 1201.zip files has changed.

If anyone else has a spare drive they can try out the new guide with it would help me to make sure it works properly. Plus anyone who used the new guide please post your thoughts.

Thanks!

At work at the moment, so depending on how busy I am i'll try it soon or once I get home.

1201snow

1201snow

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ASUS 1201N DUAL BOOT SNOW / SEVEN - 2/5 - TUTORIAL GUIDE ANLEITUNG

29.01.2010 giacomelli / 1201SNOW :D

Material:
- ASUS eeePC Restore DVD (comes with 1201N - livre avec - mitgeliefert)
- Windows 7 on DVD or USB drive, all versions are welcome but must be bootable
n'importe quelle version de Windows 7 sur un DVD ou sur une cle USB mais bootable
eine DVD oder einen USB stick mit Windows 7 egal welche version aber bootfaehig gemacht

Win 7 from MBR to GUID - preparer le disque dur - vorbereiten der festplatte

a. Windows 7 comes on a MBR partionned hard disk. OSX needs GUID driven partitions.
Windows 7 est installe sur un disque dur partitionne en MBR. OSX demande des partitions GUID.
WIndows 7 kommt auf einer MBR formatierten festplatte. OSX braucht aber GUID partitionen.

b. insert your snow install USB drive. start PC. F2 -> Bios -> Boot: choose USB drive twice (1st and 2nd menu item!)
inserer la cle USB. demarrer PC. F2 -> Bios -> Boot: indiquer cle USB pour demarrage (dans les 2 lignes du menu!)
USB stick einstecken. PC starten. F2 -> Bios -> Boot: in beiden auswahlmenues den USB stick auswaehlen

c. F10 -> ok -> reboot / redemarrer

d. boot from USB stick
demarrer de la cle USB
vom USB stick starten

e. choose language and so on -> disk utilities -> choose hard disk -> partition -> 3 partitions, options: GUID
choisir sa langue -> utilitaires de disques -> selectionner disque dur -> partition -> 3 partitions, options: GUID
sprache angeben usw. -> festplattendienstprogramme -> festplatte waehlen -> partition -> 3 anlegen, option: GUID

f. first partition (83 Gb each): Fat, "SEVEN" -> second: OSX journalized, "OSX SNOW" -> third: OSX journ., "DATA"
1ere partition (83 Go x3): Fat, "SEVEN" -> deuxieme: OSX journalise, "OSX SNOW" -> 3e: OSX journalise, "DATA"
1. partition (alle 83 Gb): Fat, "SEVEN" -> zweite: OSX mit eintrag, "OSX SNOW" -> dritte: OSX mit eintrag, "DATA"

there's no need to create more than 3 partitions because a 4th will be added by the bootmanager and the system can't handle more than four primary partitions.
c'est inutile de creer pls de 3 partitions car une 4e va etre ajoute par le bootmanager et le system ne peut pas gerer plus de 4 partitions primaires.
es ist sinnlos, mehr als 3 partitionen einzurichten, denn spaeter wird der bootmanager eine vierte partition hinzufuegen und das system kann nicht mehr als vier primaere partitionen verwalten.

g. apply and quit OSX install
appliquer et quitter l'installation d'OSX
partionieren und dann raus aus der OSX installation

h. reboot -> F2 -> Bios -> Boot: choose your DVD drive to boot from
redemarrer - F2 -> Bios -> Boot: choisir votre lecteur DVD comme lecteur de demarrage
reboot -> F2 -> Bios ->: Boot: ihr DVD laufwerk als startlaufwerk auswaehlen

i. Asus eeePC Restore DVD insert it - inserer le - legen sie sie ein

j. reboot from Asus eeePC Restore DVD
redemarrer avec le DVD d'Asus
starten sie mit der Asus WiederherstellungsDVD

k. choose "restore to a partition" (and not "entire disk")
choisir "restaurer vers une partition" (et non "disque entier")
waehlen sie "auf einer partition wiederherstellen" (und nicht auf der ganzen festplatte)

l. at the end reboot without the Asus DVD -> error, MBR is missing... -> insert the Windows 7 DVD or USB drive
a la fin redemarrer sans le DVD d'Asus -> erreur, MBR manque... -> inserer le DVD ou la cle bootable de Windows 7
am ende rebooten ohne die Asus DVD -> fehler, MBR fehlt... -> irgendein Windows 7 auf DVD oder USB einlegen

m. boot from Windows 7 drive -> repair -> repair and reboot
demarrer du lecteur contenant Windows 7 -> reparer -> reparer et redemarrer
starten sie vom Windows 7 laufwerk -> reparieren -> reparieren und neu starten

n. boot again from Windows 7 drive -> repair -> select Windows 7 -> next -> repair the boot fonctions
demarrer de nouveau par le lecteur avec Win 7 -> reparer -> marquer Windows 7 -> suivant -> reparer le demarrage
nochmal mit Windows 7 laufwerk starten -> reparieren -> Windows 7 markieren -> weiter -> Startfunktion reparieren

o. take the Windows 7 DVD or USB drive out, reboot, the windows 7 install will start
sortez le dvd ou la cle USB de Windows 7, redemarrez, Windows 7 commence son installation (en anglais d'abord)
Windows 7 DVD oder USB stick rausnehmen, reboot, Windows 7 beginnt installation (anfangs auf englisch)

p. the system will reboot once, continue installation, than asks for "ASUS AllInst"
le systeme va redemarrer une fois, l'installation continue, puis manquera "ASUS AllInst"
das system wird einmal neu starten, die installation geht weiter, dann fragt es nach "ASUS AllInst"

q. insert your ASUS eeePC Recovery DVD and continue
inserer l'ASUS eeePC Recovery DVD et continuer
ASUS eeePC Recovery DVD einlegen und fortfahren

r. this will install Windows 7 with all drivers (25 min.) and applications (16 min.) for the 1201N
ceci installera Windows 7 avec tous les gestionnaires (25 min.) et logiciels (16 min.) pour le 1201N
dies installiert Windows 7 mit allen Treibern (25 min.) und anwendungen (1 min.) fuer den 1201N

s. reboot without the DVD, on hard disk - Windows 7 just like before but on a GUID partition!
redemarrer sans le DVD, a partir du disque dur - Windows 7 comme avant mais sur une partition GUID!
neu starten ohne die DVD, von der Festplatte - WIndows 7 wie beim Kauf aber auf einer GUID partition!

here we go
on continue
weiter geht's

-> 3/5

JJRMac

JJRMac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
1201snow: Since you are installing windows 7 from the recovery disk, this will install the 32bit version of Win 7 correct?

1201snow

1201snow

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ASUS 1201N DUAL BOOT SNOW / SEVEN - 3/5 - TUTORIAL GUIDE ANLEITUNG

29.01.2010 giacomelli / 1201SNOW :)

Material:
the prepared USB Snow installation drive (see part 1/5)
la cle USB prepare d'installation de Snow (voir part 1/5)
den vorbereiteten Snow installations USB stick (siehe teil 1/5)

snow is coming - il neige - es schneit

a. now you should have a functionning Windows 7 system. and we will add Snow Leopard now.
maintenant vous devriez avoir un systeme operationnel de Windows 7. et on ajoute maintenant Snow Leopard.
jetzt muessten sie ein funktionierendes WIndows 7 system haben. und wir fuegen nun Snow Leopard hinzu.

b. insert your Snow installation USB drive (be sure that Bios is booting from USB in the 2 boot menu items)
inserer la cle USB d'installation de Snow (verifiez que le Bios demarre de USB dans les deux lignes du menu boot)
stecken sie den USB Snow installations stick ein (im Bios muss im boot menu in beiden linien USB stehen)

c. boot from the USB Snow installation drive
demarrer a partir de la cle USB d'installation de Snow
starten sie neu vom Snow installations USB stick

d. language -> target volume is "OSX SNOW" -> personalize -> check Quicktime and Rosetta -> go
langue -> indiquer "OSX SNOW" comme disque cible -> personnaliser -> cocher Quicktime et Rosetta -> c'est parti
sprache -> zielplatte ist "OSX SNOW" -> personalisieren -> haekchen bei Quicktime und Rosetta -> los geht's

e. this takes about half an hour. installation will hang up at "11 minutes to go" (or 10, 9 or 8) - quit - reboot manually
ca dure 30 minutes, ca va bloquer a 11 (ou 10, 9 ou 8) minutes restantes - quitter - redemarrer manuellement
das dauert 30 minuten, bleibt bei der anzeige 11 (oder 10, 9, 8) minuten haengen - beenden - von hand neu starten

f. boot from the USB Snow installation drive
demarrer a partir de la cle USB d'installation de Snow
starten sie neu vom Snow installations USB stick

g. language -> utilities -> netbookinstaller -> uncheck "hide netbookinstaller files" and "generate specific DSDT"
langue -> utilitaires -> netbookinstaller -> decocher "hide netbookinstaller files" and "generate specific DSDT"
sprache -> dienstprogramme -> netbookinstaller -> OHNE "hide netbookinstaller files" and "generate specific DSDT"

h. install - installer - installieren

i. quit netbookinstaller, quit OSX installation program, reboot without your USB drive
quitter netbookinstaller, quitter le logiciel d'installation d'OSX, redemarrer sans la cle USB
verlassen sie netbookinstaller, beenden sie das OSX installationsprogramm, starten sie neu ohne USB stick

j. now Snow should boot and you write in personal informations, the video is coming, than the desktop, without sound
maintenant Snow devrait demarrer, vous vous inscrivez, la video passe, le bureau arrive, sans son
jetzt muesste Snow starten, sie tragen sich ein, das X-filmchen laeuft, der desktop kommt, ohne sound

k. system preferences - language settings - format - date and time - changes need reboot
preferences systeme - langues - tirer le francais tout en haut - format: "France" (et non "France (anglais)") - clique sur l'heure affichee - reglage - les changements demandent un redemarrage du systeme, faites le
systemeinstellungen - deutsche sprache ganz nach oben ziehen - format - deutschland - auf uhranzeige klicken - einstellen - diese einstellungen erfordern einen neustart des systems - tun sie's

l. now we've got a functional 10.6.0 Snow Leopard system (2nd partition) with a non functional Windows 7 on the first partition
maintenant nous avons un systeme Snow Leopard 10.6.0 (2e partition) qui est operationnel et un Windows 7 qui ne demarre plus (1ere partition)
jetzt haben wir ein laufenden 10.6.0 Snow Leopard system (2. partition) mit einem nicht mehr startenden Windows 7 (1. partition)

here we go
on continue
weiter geht's

-> 4/5

JJRMac

JJRMac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Thanks!

OK just finished reinstalling with the new files following the guide. Definelty went smoother. I am still getting a Verbose boot up/shutdown. Restart worked. Sleep still didn't work for me. And shutdown still doesn't work. Other than that, everything else is working and running 10.6.2

1201snow

1201snow

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ASUS 1201N DUAL BOOT SNOW / SEVEN - 4/5 - TUTORIAL GUIDE ANLEITUNG

Material:
Mac OSX 10.6.2 Combo Update: download3
AMF5's /Extra folder + kextutility: download4
MOSSLACK's installation guide: link lien webseite

snow leopard 10.6.0 -> 10.6.2

a. these steps refer to files and infos from MOSSLACK, AMF5, MEKLORT and others (thanks!) - today versions
ces demarches dependent des fichiers et infos de MOSSLACK, AMF5, MEKLORT et autres (merci!) - versions de ce jour
diese schritte basieren auf dateien und infos von MOSSLACK, AMF5, MEKLORT und anderen (danke!) - versionen von heute

b. finder -> preferences -> show hard disks
finder -> preferences -> afficher les disques durs
finder -> einstellungen -> festplatten anzeigen

c. drag/copy the /Extra folder on your OSX SNOW drive (to /) - use your password
tirer / copier le dossier /Extra vers votre disque OSX SNOW (vers /) - donnez votre mot de passe
ziehen / kopieren sie den /Extra ordner auf ihre OSX SNOW platte (nach /) - geben sie ihr passwort ein

d. install the kextutility (drag it to applications folder) -> applications -> start it
installer le logiciel kextutility (tirer l'icone sur le dossier applications) -> applications -> demarrez le
installieren sie kextutility (ziehen sie sein symbol auf den anwendungsordner) -> Anwendungen -> starten sie es

e. install the Mac OSX 10.6.2 Combo Update - reboot - Chameleon bootloader V2.0 RC3 is working
installer la mise a jour Mac OSX 10.6.2 Combo Update - redemarrer - voila Chameleon bootloader V2.0 RC3
installieren sie das Mac OSX 10.6.2 Combo Update - reboot - start mit Chameleon bootloader V2.0 RC3

in the last step we will reactivate Windows 7 for our dual boot and personalize the Chameleon bootloader
ensuite nous allons reactiver Windows 7 pour notre double boot et personnaliser le Chameleon bootloader
im letzten schritt werden wir Windows 7 reaktivieren fuer unseren dual boot und den Chameleon bootloader optimieren

here we go
on continue
weiter geht's

-> 5/5

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

OK just finished reinstalling with the new files following the guide. Definelty went smoother. I am still getting a Verbose boot up/shutdown. Restart worked. Sleep still didn't work for me. And shutdown still doesn't work. Other than that, everything else is working and running 10.6.2

The verbose boot, etc is by design I think, but it can be disabled in the Boot.plist file. Simply remove the -v from this line:

<string>arch=i386 -v</string>

I'm not totally sure why this was included. I know on the HP Mini 311 it was included as it was supposed to make sleep work better. But I'm not one for sleep, that is the first thing I disable when setting up a new system. It has never worked correctly on any system I ever had, including actual Macs! As always YMMV

Shutdown just takes longer, I noticed this as well, but it will eventually shut itself off. I also found I had problems with USB devices if left in sometimes they don't work after a reboot. I get a bunch of USB error messages on the screen when booting.

If you have not switched to the Tea kernel you might try that as well. The system seems more stable with it, plus I think the sound improved also. Maybe it's b/c I've heard too much static lately. :)

Forgot to mention that I added more optional installs to the guide, including instructions on how to switch to the tea kenel. Still haven't done the dual boot portion, but it's coming!

1201snow

1201snow

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ASUS 1201N DUAL BOOT SNOW / SEVEN - 5/5 - TUTORIAL GUIDE ANLEITUNG

Material:
Windows 7 DVD or bootable on USB drive (not the ASUS restore DVD)
Windows 7 DVD ou sa version bootable sur une cle USB (pas l'ASUS Recovery DVD)
Windows 7 DVD oder auf bootfaehigem USB stick (nicht die ASUS Recovery DVD)

dual boot SNOW / SEVEN

a. insert the Win 7 DVD, verify Bios boot settings, boot from DVD
inserer le Win 7 DVD, verifier le reglage de boot dans le Bios, demarrer a partir du DVD
Win 7 DVD einlegen, im Bios booteinstellungen kontrollieren, von DVD starten

b. repair -> answer no to continue -> use utilities -> command prompt:
reparer -> repondre non pour continuer -> utiliser des outils -> invite de commandes:
reparieren -> nein antworten um fortzufahren -> hilfsprogramme nutzen -> eingabeaufforderung:

diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 2 (windows 7 partition, first 83 GB partition, premiere partition de 83 GB, erste 83 Gb partition)
active

c. reboot windows with the DVD
redemarrer windows avec le DVD
starten sie windows neu mit der DVD

d. repair (now the windows partition is visible in the window) - this time you answer "yes" = repair and reboot
reparer (maintenant on voit la partition Win 7 dans la fenetre) - vous repondez "oui" = reparer et redemarrer
reparieren (jetzt sieht man die win 7 partition im fenster) - sie bejahen = reparieren und neustart

e. reboot windows with the DVD
redemarrer windows avec le DVD
starten sie windows neu mit der DVD

f. repair -> answer no to continue -> use utilities -> command prompt:
reparer -> repondre non pour continuer -> utiliser des outils -> invite de commandes:
reparieren -> nein antworten um fortzufahren -> hilfsprogramme nutzen -> eingabeaufforderung:

diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 4 (OSX SNOW partition, second 83 GB partition, 2e partition de 83 GB, zweite 83 Gb partition)
active

g. reboot your eeePC without any DVD or USB drive
redemarrez votre eeePC sans DVD et sans cle USB
starten sie ihren eeePC neu ohne DVD und ohne SB stick

h. now you should have a system starting with Chameleon (Windows 7) - hit any key - start OSX SNOW
maintenant vous avez un system qui demarre avec Chameleon (Windows 7) - tapez une touche - demarrez OSX SNOW
jetzt startet ihr system mit Chameleon (Windows 7) - druecken sie eine taste - starten sie OSX SNOW

i. open on your OSX SNOW disk in the /Extra folder the file com.Apple.Boot.plist (with texteditor)
ouvrir sur votre disque OSX SNOW dans le dossier /Extra le fichier com.Apple.Boot.plist (avec texteditor)
oeffnen sie auf ihrer OSX SNOW platte die datei com.Apple.Boot.plist im ordner /Extra (mittels texteditor)

j. if you want Chameleon to start with OSX by default add these 2 lines:
si vous voulez que Chameleon demarre par default avec OSX vous ajoutez ces 2 lignes:
wenn sie moechten, dass Chameleon mit OSX als standardeinstellung startet, fuegen sie diese beiden linien hinzu:

<key>Default Partition<key>
<string>hd(0,3)<string>

insert these lines between the first and the second key-string-couplet (after "dsdt.aml") for example
inserer les entre le 1er et le 2e couplet key-string par exemple (apres "dsdt.aml")
fuegen sie sie zum beispiel zwischen dem 1. und 2. key-string-zeilenpaar ein (nach der "dsdt.aml"-linie)

k. if you want to have instantly the choice between Windows 7 and OSX add these 2 lines:
si vous voulez avoir d'emblee le choix entre Windows 7 et OSX alors ajoutez les 2 lignes suivantes:
wenn sie beim starten gleich zwischen Windows 7 und OSX auswaehlen koennen moechten, geben sie diese 2 linien hinzu:

<key>Instant Menu<key>
<string>Yes<string>

l. save your com.Apple.Boot.plist file - reboot - all is done.
enregistrer votre fichier com.Apple.Boot.plist file - redemarrez - tout est fait.
speichern sie ihre datei com.Apple.Boot.plist file ab - starten sie neu - alles im kasten.

I hope you enjoyed the guide. all critics are welcome.
j'espere que le guide vous a servi. toute remarque sera la bienvenue.
ich hoffe die anleitung hat sie weitergebracht. alle anmerkungen sind willkommen.

1201SNOW

1201snow: Since you are installing windows 7 from the recovery disk, this will install the 32bit version of Win 7 correct?

JJRMac, yes it's the 32bit version.
the way shown is used to get an original "Asus"-Windows 7 with all drivers installed and all configurations done - the user doesn't need to search for anything.

I first wanted to cope with the dual boot + 10.6.2 problem - that's done.

Now I can play around with sound kexts, EFI boot files and 64bit changes - all the staff that is excellent to kill your system...

bye,

1201SNOW

JJRMac

JJRMac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
I know this is a very newbie question and i'm sorry, but how do you install a kext with Kext Utility? I took the voodoo kext provided in your guide and put it in the system/library/extensions and the removed the applehda. When I ran kext utility it said that Voodoo kext was not installed correctly and shorty after I got a KP. I rebooted the pc and it loaded Mac OSX fine but I don't think it installed the kext. Should I of put the kext in the extra's directory?

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
No, it goes in the /S/L/E folder, to install using Kext Utility you simply drag the icon of the kext onto Kext Utility's icon and it will be installed for you. Do you have a volume control in your menu bar? If so it is probably in the correct spot.

Also I need to know if anyone has tried to install Windows 7 from the restore DVD after changing to the Dell wifi card? I need to know if the installer balks at the point where it installs the wifi driver and if this can be deselected by simply unchecking that box. Thanks.

JJRMac

JJRMac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
Yep, actually I just finished installing the Tea kernel and saw the volume control so I assumed it installed right. I installed the VoodooHDA preference pane. It asked me if I wanted to replace the existing one. Replied yes and changed the settings as per the guide. Played an mp3 and it plays fine. Have to keep the volume rather low since I'm at work so it sounded fine but once I get out of here i'll raise it to see how it really sounds. Other than that everything went smooth as per the guide.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Thank you, I appreciate your help in figuring out these problems. It will make it easier for the people who follow. Anyone else have anything to add about the install guide and optional installs?

JJRMac

JJRMac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Thank you, I appreciate your help in figuring out these problems. It will make it easier for the people who follow. Anyone else have anything to add about the install guide and optional installs?

Not a problem. Like i've stated i'm a complete newbie to this. Been a Windows guy for over 15 years so it's a new world for me. I've tried hackintosh a few times before and failed miserably. This, the old thread and your guide have been perfect in steering me in the right direction and I know will def help others.

As for the guide, possibly adding link to a way to disassemble it to install a compatible wifi card might not be a bad idea. I remember seeing someone said they followed the instructions for an earlier model. I hope to take on this task this weekend. If I can find my digital camera (blames the wife) I'll take pics of the disassembly.

Oh as for the shutdown, i tried it again 3 times. I went to shutdown and let it sit there for 10 mins. Never went off. Not a big deal though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy