The Apple iPad is released

Dr. Hurt

54 posts in this topic

seems like apple decided to touch a new kind of costumer, the one that want a social life on the net but have no idea (and don't want to have) of how a computer works. Bigger than a smartphone, easyer than a pc: the perfect twitter/facebook machine. In my opinion is useless but i think it will have a big success.

The pricing of iPad is very attractive, but the OS...

I think a netPad (netbook with touchscreen, no keyboard, size like iPad) running Snow Leopard would be better!

sure but more expensive and not trasversal as iPad.

seems like apple decided to touch a new kind of costumer, the one that want a social life on the net but have no idea (and don't want to have) of how a computer works. Bigger than a smartphone, easyer than a pc: the perfect twitter/facebook machine. In my opinion is useless but i think it will have a big success.

+1

In the end I don't think this will be real popular, and it will be the lack of Flash that makes it unpopular- and no HTML5 is not the answer...

I am not saying that Flash or Silverlight is superior to HTML5 in any way. Flash in particular is proprietary junk. Flash versions for not popular systems (PowerPC, Linux, etc) are usually terrible, and playback of Flash requires WAY more CPU use than it should- on an Atom Netbook fullscreen Flash plays poorly in OSX. I bet Flash on one of these iPads would be super terrible on the 1GHz CPU- Steve Jobs probably considers keeping Flash out of the app store a quality control measure.

With that said the appeal of the Netbook market (which Jobs very blatantly backwards admitted is the competitors to the iPad) was that consumers could get REAL computers for cheap prices at a low size. A Netbook is supposed to be more than a gloried Pocket PC- it is a secondary system when you need more power than an Smartphone can provide. And one of the real barriers that separate a Smartphone and a laptop in 2010 is the ability to use "real" Flash. Even if all of sites switch over to HTML5 in the next year (a very optimistic goal considering that fact that IE use is so high), is it a guarantee that the iPad can play back the content well? Review will soon tell us, and then we will know if this first gen iPad has a promising future or not...

Honestly the form factor for the iPad is perfect- anyone with a brain could figure that the natural progression for Netbooks was for them to ditch the keyboards for touchscreens. Any decent SciFi since the original Star Trek has shown us how important tablet PCs will be in the future.

But the current iPad misses that mark by a great deal because it is not a full featured computer. Is is a bigger Smartphone, with all the limitations of that market.

Until an iPad can do everything a laptop can for say a college student (lacking Flash kills that- my college age sister couldn't go a day without her Hulu) or a business executive (lacking real Microsoft Office kills that for when you REALLY need Office) that what you are really looking at is a EXPENSIVE secondary "toy" for a large part of the market that currently buys laptops. Which is basically the market Netbooks have now (I will admit for serious work they are a toy), but the difference is that a Netbook costs as much as a game console, while a iPad costs as much as a REAL 15inch Windows laptop.

I can guess what Apple is thinking- that there is enough apps in the App Store to do everything that most "real" people do with computers. If someone wants a real computer for something specific then they are advanced enough to shell out the thousand bucks for a real Mac laptop. But I get the feeling that the iPad is purposefully neutered with a kiddie slope OS to ensure that it does not dig into the Mac Book market. Can't wait to see if people can Hackintosh the thing like was done to the AppleTV.

For these reason I am very disappointed in the iPad. The likelihood is that I am wrong and it might have a bright future- as it is it could revolutionize the Medical Industry. And if Apple cuts a deal with Adobe and Microsoft down the line (or HTML5 adoption increases at a brisk pace) then maybe later versions of the device will change everyone's lives and change how we think about computers. But today, as it is today, it is the most underwhelming release of a new Apple product since the AppleTV came out...

And for that I blame the fact that it was maybe one of the worst kept secrets in Apple's recent history, and for that reason a hype machine began that makes it so that even an incredible life-changing device fails to live up to expectations set for it (aka the PS3 effect)....

Because they are totally different, and certainly not what Apple was going for. Plus, netbooks are completely useless.

out of all their previous products I don't really see where Jobs and apple are really headed with this one. I am in no way an applefanboi but I do appreciate a lot of things apple come up with but this product? Just seems so fail than other products. Yeah the iPhone was bashed in a similar sense when it came out but at least apple had a different approach with it. The iPad just looks like something taken from the twilight zone and landed in office of the guys of Cupertino. I won't even start on the mini list of things that pissed me off like the lack of flash in 2010. A 10 inch screen is certainly not as portable as an iPod or a damn writing pen. But this is a Cupertino product so hey you never know what else they might pull from their almighty buttholez next. The quarterly earnings anyway will basically say a lot more importantly the Q4 earnings from it.

What an apple product

-____-

Because they are totally different, and certainly not what Apple was going for.

I wouldn't say that. Jobs did mention Netbooks in his announcement (he called the cheap laptops) which is Job's speak means he feels the iPad is a competitor to that market segment.

Plus, netbooks are completely useless.

Say that to my perfect HP Mini 311 hackintosh (thanks to the work of those in the thread below), the most portable useful computer I have ever had.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=195381

It targets the general consumers who are not much into computer taking the leverage of the apple apps customers. BTW, I think that we are seeing Iphone OS 4.0 right there (with iBooks, fancier photoalbum, address book, calendar). It ( OS 4.0) will be released shortly after iPads hit the store.

It targets the general consumers who are not much into computer taking the leverage of the apple apps customers. BTW, I think that we are seeing Iphone OS 4.0 right there (with iBooks, fancier photoalbum, address book, calendar). It ( OS 4.0) will be released shortly after iPads hit the store.

I slightly doubt it imo because Jobs would have probably announced that the pad is running the "latest and greatest" iPhone OS.

That's just my opinion I'm throwing out there

I slightly doubt it imo because Jobs would have probably announced that the pad is running the "latest and greatest" iPhone OS.

That's just my opinion I'm throwing out there

You could be right. But If Job had said so, no body (or less) will buy iPad. It's obviously a souped up IPod Touch. We shall see. Maybe some features of the iPad will appear in iPhone OS 4.0 eventually.

Lol souped up iTouch you're right about that though

and yeah little Stevie would be shorting the sales of the iPad and the next gen iPhone if he were to have announced that the iPad is running OS 4.0. But if the iPad is in fact not running 4.0 and either has a modififed version of the 3.x OS then it only makes you wonder what exactly do the guys up at Cupertino have up their crafty sleeves for their 4.0 OS. I just hope it's more promising than their most recent product.

it only makes you wonder what exactly do the guys up at Cupertino have up their crafty sleeves for their 4.0 OS. I just hope it's more promising than their most recent product.

Cupertino folks are pretty smart at squeezing the money out of basically just one trick: "multitouch". They try to cook it with different flavors, different dishes to serve you from one ingredient. For example I can see once the iBooks get going. It will be on iPhone, i Touch. Heck, tons of people can read e-books on iPhones.

so basically putting the multi-touch gesture from the magic mouse into the new OS... I had a feeling it would be something along those lines.. I think that the multi-touch is going to be their highlight feature in 4.0 because it is their most recent "technological breakthrough." Aside from the multi-touch I don't see anything that could hype up the release of the 4.0 thus far aside from cosmetic upgrades that would always attract some group of consumers to it because we all know the iPhone's sleek design is the new eye candy of today

I think its stupid that its just a huge ipod. I was hoping for a small computer, that could do everything a computer does.

i didn't like the idea of it either and after hearing reviews about it and seeing the el33t comments on engadget it gives me more reason to think less of it

just not a worthy apple product to most consumers I believe. Imo i don't think it's going to make it far... only thing going for it is it's looks and flashy new OS 3.2.