[GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G41M-ES2L (USB Method)

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

smokozuna

smokozuna

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Can you post the link for LifeHacker guide with Stell's V1 installer ?

Guide

Installer

One more thing, I don't like messing around with kext's so use this for

Sound

and this for

Ethernet

both are supported natively in OSX

mwpmo

mwpmo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

http://lifehacker.co...acking-required

http://cache.gawker....now_Leopard.zip

One more thing, I don't like messing around with kext's so use this for

Sound
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812186035

and this for

Ethernet
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833156139

both are supported natively in OSX

Thanks a lots.

I will try it with my G41M-ES2L

smokozuna

smokozuna

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
What video card will you be using?

These are the BIOS settings I use with the above setup with a 7xxx series Nvidia Graphics card, just for reference.

BIOS Settings for the Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L motherboard with F6 BIOS
Standard CMOS Features:
Date: [set] Time: [set]
Drive A: [None]
Floppy 3 Mode Support: [Disabled]
Halt On: [No Errors]

Advanced BIOS Features:
Hard Disk Boot Priority: [set your boot drive as #1]
First Boot Device: [USB-HDD]
Second Boot Device: [Hard Disk]
Third Boot Device: [Disabled]
Password Check: [setup if desired]
HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability: [Enabled]
Limit CPUID Max. to 3: [Disabled]
No-Execute Memory Protect: [Enabled]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E): [Enabled]
CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2): [Enabled]
CPU EIST Function: [Enabled]
Init Display First: [PEG]
Onboard VGA: [Enable If No Ext PEG]

Integrated Peripherals:
On-Chip Primary PCI IDE: [Enabled]
On-Chip Secondary PCI IDE: [Enabled]
On-Chip SATA Mode: [Auto]
USB Controller: [Enabled]
USB 2.0 Controller: [Enabled]
USB Keyboard Support: [Enabled]
USB Mouse Support: [Enabled]
Legacy USB storage detect: [Enabled]
Azalia Codec: [Disabled]
Onboard H/W LAN: [Disabled]
SMART LAN: [Ignore]
Onboard LAN Boot ROM: [Disabled]
Onboard Serial Port 1: [Disabled]
Onboard Parallel Port: [Disabled]

Power Management Setup:
ACPI Suspend Type: [S3(STR)]
Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN: [Instant-Off]
PME Event Wake Up: [Disabled]
Power On by Ring: [Disabled]
Resume by Alarm: [Disabled]
HPET Support: [Enabled]
HPET Mode: [32-bit Mode]
Power On By Mouse: [Disabled]
Power On By Keyboard: [Disabled]
AC Back Function: [Soft-Off]

SL boots in 64-bit when using the Chameleon or PCEFI bootloaders.

If you wish to boot in 32-bit mode, you will have to add one of the following flags in your customized com.apple.Boot.plist in the Extra Folder:

-x32 (when using PCEFI)
arch=i386 (when using Chameleon RC3)

My com.apple.Boot.plist in the Extra Folder looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-x32</string>
<key>device-properties</key>

This is very important if using Nvidia 7xxx cards or lower because the system will Panic in 64 bit mode, if using Nvidia 8xxx or higher Booting in 64 bit will work just fine.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

I just installed Snow Leopard and Leopard using this board and there are no special requirements for the BIOS. You can install OSX with the defaults if you like.

For the record I did not use Dave's guide, I used the LifeHacker guide with Stell's V1 installer. I have a 7series Nvidia graphics card so after the install I edited the boot.plist in the extra folder to force 32 bit boot, then upgraded to 10.6.2. If you have an Nvidia 8series card or higher 64 bit will work fine.

Can you tell which command is used to set 32 bit mode on this installer? I have seen several mentioned over the course of travels on the interweb. Thanks. Also thanks for this info, I have been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out why the system would KP each time I tried to boot using my 7200GS with 10.6.2.

EDIT: I found out the setting is already there and it is running in 32 bit mode. I have it updated now to 10.6.2 and it seems to be working fine. Thanks!

smokozuna

smokozuna

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi mosslack, the info your looking for is right above your post actually. I have listed it for both Chameleon and PCEFI.

Another note on Nvidia graphics cards, the port closest to the motherboard is the primary port. On the 7xxx series card that port is VGA on 8xxx series and higher it is DVI. The reason I mention this is if you use the secondary port for any reason then do a resolution change you will be stuck on a blue screen, this also happens sometimes on boot. The reason is OSX gets confused when using the secondary port on Nvidia graphics cards. So the moral of the story is to always use the primary port on your graphics card.

Another tip, Stell made a V2 and V3 of his installer, they do not work for the ES2L board. Just use the V1 which is the exact one used in the Lifehacker guide.

pacman3

pacman3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
This is the method I will be using! Once all my parts arrive in the next few days i will be posting step by step pictures/video aswell!

smokozuna

smokozuna

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Great, I look forward too it.

ridgeline

ridgeline

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Great, I look forward too it.

Hey man nice links but if you really don't like messing with Kexts there are a few ways to go about getting intergrated audio and ethernet working so you dont have to buy things you dont need.

For example you can use my dsdt which will give you audio and then simply drag and drop the legacyHDA.kext to your /Extra folder and use KextUtility to repair permissions.

You could also use Kext Utility and install the R1000SL.kext from Kext.com and have fully working ethernet.

If you want Native Sleep and Speed Step you could use my latest DSDT patch. For example I do not need the sleepenabler.kext which has been known to cause a KP when updating the system. Also It is already patched for the audio I mentioned above it also has the USBEHCI fix for the HighSpeed USB ports, It will also give you full working shutdown/restart without extra kexts.

If you use my dsdt you will need to make sure you did not install the sleepenabler or any of the voodoo power kexts. you must remove the NulCPUPowermanagement.kext as well.

I did not do any video injection in the dsdt as I wanted to make sure this should work for everyone. And you should enable your video card via Chameleon.

Place the DSDT file in either your root directory or your /Extra Folder

The DSDT also includes the Hpet, RTC, TIMR, PIC, UHCI, EHCI, and Speed Step and Sleep Enable and AppleLPC trick, and Audio.

Please ask any questions you may have.

I can send anyone who needs a smbios plist if need be. Does make a difference for speedstep to make sure you are set as a MacPro3,1 or a iMac7,1 I can send either just let me know

I also recommend you replace you boot file from Chameleon found in your root directory with the Asere Boot file I have attached I get more accurate information out of it and I also would like to add I had a hard to getting my video card injected using the Chameleon boot file.

Attached Files

Edited by ridgeline, 01 March 2010 - 07:16 PM.

smokozuna

smokozuna

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks Ridgeline, I appreciate the offer but when you have things that are natively supported in OSX they will never break after doing a point update. In other words I will never have to re-apply kexts after 10.6.3 so on and so forth. I am after simplicity and reliability. I am not saying your method is wrong, we are using different methods to achieve similar goal. The readers can choose what method fits them best.

I'd also like to say I take no credit for this guide, ALL credit goes to Adam Pash, Stellarolla, Kaido, and Zaap.

Thank You Gentlemen for sharing your wealth of knowledge with the world.

ridgeline

ridgeline

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Well I respect what you are trying to do I updated from 10.6 to 10.6.2 with the kexts above mentioned. installed the Audio is in the Extras folder therefore the updates from Apple don't touch it and as far as I know everyone has to have the FakeSMC.kext.

Just a side note it looks like the dsdt is not patched for everything but anyway my goal is to be as stock as possible and only using and audio file at this point is good for me and my ethernet worked OOB just the bonjour aspect was a little buggy so the R1000SL.kext clears it up. Realtek is supported natively you can even download the Apple driver from realtek.

Not too mention your pc efi says 10.1 according to the guide is that what actually installs?

ridgeline

ridgeline

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
For anyone interested I have created a boot cd and a post installer package, for this board with a fully patched dsdt. I can post these up if anyone is interested.

nandor690

nandor690

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

For anyone interested I have created a boot cd and a post installer package, for this board with a fully patched dsdt. I can post these up if anyone is interested.

Thanks dude, you just helped me get rid of the last couple kext so now i am running on two. the only problem is that if i set sleep in preferences it will only put my monitor to sleep, and if i use sleep in the apple menu it will shut my computer down. other than that everything seems to be working and booting up fast.
Also if i try to put the sleepenable 10.6.2 kext back in i of coarse get a panic. do you have this same problem or do i need to adjust something.

thx,

Nandor690

ridgeline

ridgeline

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Well first I would have to ask you have you do you have the R1000SL.kext for our network card installed? I was having the same problem with out this kext but I also had the network wake capability turned on. Second under energy saver preferences I believe you have to check the box enables reboot on power failure. Let me know if that helps and the patched dsdt is to eliminate the sleep enabler kext. This kexts works well with NullCPUPowermanagment but can cause KP's during system updates and therefore must be uninstalled doing it this way via dsdt eliminates that aggravation. Please understand that the reboot upon power failure only reboots the system if it is on when you regain power from a power failure.

dumpav

dumpav

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've bought following:

GIGABYTE GA-G41M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard (open box, rev v1)
BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 1GB PCIe 2.0 with EcoIntelligence Low Power Design
2 x WESTERN DIGITAL 500GB SERIAL ATA/300 7200RPM 16MB BUFFER HARD DRIVE (want to install OSX on 1 drive and win7 on the other drive)
SAMSUNG SH-S223C/BEBE SATA DVDRW Drive - DVD+R 22X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD-RAM 12X, CD-R 48X, OEM

does my set up work with this guide?

ridgeline

ridgeline

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Should do just fine I will be posting a boot cd and a post installer shortly justing waiting for a final test.

ridgeline

ridgeline

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Alternate CD Method

Okay for all of you that would like here are is my boot cd.
Simply burn a copy insert this at the GUI eject the boot disc and insert your mac disc.
Hit f5 after it has had a few seconds to spin up and select the install disc and proceed with your install.
After you complete the install at reboot reload the boot cd. this time at GUI select you Mac HD
once the system boots up run my post installer. I have a simple install and and advanced install. Simple should work for almost everyone. You will have vanilla speedstep and sleep with this method and your system will boot 64bit. There is an option under the advanced install that allows you to select if you woul rather boot 32bit. Also video fixes in the event Graphics Enabler does not work for you. This was designed for a core 2 duo processor and your quad core may require additional info in the dsdt. If so please contact me and we will get this squared away I just do not have a quad core at the moment.

P.S. if you have an issue with the boot cd burn it to a DVD this worked for me.

Reboot and enjoy please post any problems or questions.
Thanks
Download Here

nandor690

nandor690

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Alternate CD Method

Okay for all of you that would like here are is my boot cd.
Simply burn a copy insert this at the GUI eject the boot disc and insert your mac disc.
Hit f5 after it has had a few seconds to spin up and select the install disc and proceed with your install.
After you complete the install at reboot reload the boot cd. this time at GUI select you Mac HD
once the system boots up run my post installer. I have a simple install and and advanced install. Simple should work for almost everyone. You will have vanilla speedstep and sleep with this method and your system will boot 64bit. There is an option under the advanced install that allows you to select if you woul rather boot 32bit. Also video fixes in the event Graphics Enabler does not work for you. This was designed for a core 2 duo processor and your quad core may require additional info in the dsdt. If so please contact me and we will get this squared away I just do not have a quad core at the moment.

P.S. if you have an issue with the boot cd burn it to a DVD this worked for me.

Reboot and enjoy please post any problems or questions.
Thanks
Download Here

Sorry man like i said im a noob. can you explain what you mean by insert this at the gui. i have it burned to disk and ready to go so ill be waiting for your response so i can try this.

Thanks,

nandor690

nandor690

nandor690

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Does anyone have wireless working and if so can I buy any wireless card, will it work with my wireless modum or do I have to get that airport. Also do I need additional kexts.

Thanks

DaveVegas

DaveVegas

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Does anyone have wireless working and if so can I buy any wireless card, will it work with my wireless modum or do I have to get that airport. Also do I need additional kexts.

Thanks

I have the Netgear WNDR3700.

Only thing I did : http://www.treiberst...are-update.html

Have fun ;)

ridgeline

ridgeline

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Well I have to give credit where it is due. The USB method by Stella V1 worked great at making my USB bootable and I restored my SL image to an SD Card actually and then ran the Stella V1 installer after I ran the installer I simply opened up the image and added a few things for example my post installer that I have linked to before and iWork. I rebooted from the SD Card and the install was remarkably faster than from disc and you dont have the aggrevation of changing discs. I still recommend my post installer as it has the corrected DSDT for the G41M and the LegacyHDA drivers needed. Fast and simple with minimum additional kexts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy