How to safely update when you can't run the Vanilla Kernel

Beerkex'd

11 posts in this topic

Basics for who is looking to upgrade to 10.5.5 - 10.5.8 on hardware that can't run the Vanilla kernel:

1..download a Voodoo Kernel from one of the links below that matches the system version you're upgrading to.

2..rename the kernel.

3..set correct permissions and ownership on the kernel.

4..Optionally use a symlink to the renamed kernel to allow software that requires the kernel to be named mach_kernel to run. Here's how:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1234670 (As you can see, VMWare requires this for example)

(There's obviously no need to do 2 and 4 if you're updating to 10.5.8)

Name the kernel whatever you want, as long as it's not mach_kernel. You can name it mach_kernel.voodoo for example. Drop it at the root of your system drive, open /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and change where it says "mach_kernel" to whatever you renamed your kernel to, and then set the correct permissions/ownership on the kernel (more details below).

If you're using the Chameleon 2.0 Bootloader, you should use /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist instead. Anything in this plist will override what's in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist, which you can safely leave unmodified.
You can use plistedit pro (google it) or the free plist editor that comes with Apple Xcode to edit this file.

This way, you can safely install a 10.5.x update, because when mach_kernel gets updated your system will still boot using the renamed kernel.

Hackintosh history lesson: The original Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel installer did that for you automatically and even came with its own 9.5.0 system.kext.

To avoid issues with System/Seatbelt kext (these must match kernel version number, you will run into various problems if they don't) use a kernel that matches the system version you're upgrading to - there have been releases for 10.5.7 and 10.5.8 - see links below.
I think anyone will agree that it's a lot less hassle just to rename and copy a single file to your root directory than to mess around with kernel extensions.

You don't need to use Disabler.kext or Netkas' good old "while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf (...)" - the Voodoo Kernel has built-in blacklisting of non-vanilla-hackintosh-unfriendly kexts such as AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. As long as you keep your Voodoo kernel renamed you don't have to worry about it. If you don't believe me, read the manual. I've attached it below.

Don't forget you need to have a decrypter installed, such as FakeSMC.kext* by Netkas (make sure to get correct version for 10.5.x). Older ones are DSMOS.kext and AppleDecrypt.kext. Do not install more than one of these.

*notes on fakesmc.kext
fakesmc topic at Netkas' blog: http://netkas.org/?cat=15
next-gen fakesmc w/plugin support: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showforum=165

fakesmc.kext is meant to be used on full retail (that includes the kernel) installations and will not work with the voodoo kernel as-is because it requires that one of the extensions that the Voodoo Kernel disables is loaded.
If you want to use fakesmc kext with the Voodoo Kernel, you have to disable the Voodoo Kernel's kext-blacklisting feature first. You will then need to use a disabler.kext that disables at least AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. Some disablers that are in circulation also disable some other kexts that may or may not be incompatible with your particular configuration. It's easy to add kexts to (or remove from) the plist in disabler.kext, open the plist inside in a plist editor to see how its done. To disable Voodoo Kernel kext-blacklisting, add blacklist=0 to the kernel flags key in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

This concludes the basics that are the same for everyone - the rest will be different depending on hardware and what your basic Hackintosh approach is - as in, if you're running Vanilla or Distro and whether you've set up Chameleon with all mods in /Extra or if you do it the old fashioned, "dangerous" way with all your modded kexts in /System/Library/Extensions. Please respect that further discussion of this is outside the scope of this thread, there are too many unknowns.

This is the Voodoo Kernel manual - a must-read for anyone who can't use the Vanilla kernel:
Voodoo_Kernel_User_Documentation.pdf.zip
Voodoo kernel developer interview:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127896

Qoopz 9.8.0 v2 Voodoo kernel release thread:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=179562
Voodoo.Based.XNU.980.v2.zip

Qoopz 9.7.0 Voodoo kernel (with source diff - download both parts and open w/ Stuffit Expander):
Qoopz_9.7.0_Voodoo_XNU_kernel.part01.sitx Qoopz_9.7.0_Voodoo_XNU_kernel.part02.sitx

For 10.5.6 you can use the original 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel along with System.kext and Seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5.
For more information go here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=148566
The original 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel is available at the xnu-dev google code site: http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/

I don't recommend using the AnV 9.6.0 kernel as it has a few (and now obsolete) modifications that could complicate things for you:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=153414
If you decide to use this kernel anyway, please refer to the release thread for support questions and issues, I can not help you.

Setting correct ownership and permissions for the kernel:

Open Terminal, type sudo - s (and your password)

chown 0:0 /kernel_name_here
exit

Good Luck!

• 1 month later...

I have IPC 10.5.6. I have done all of this. The question now is this: should I go ahead and install the combo update 10.5.8 from Apple (download it, not using software update). Or, should I get the smaller update that updates to 10.5.7. Or, should I use the Ideneb 10.5.8 update.

Could you please be specific on how to proceed as you've been with getting the kernel ready. I got and installed the 9.8.0 Voodoo Kernel, installed it and have no problems. I had to boot with -v -f after the install but since then it's working. Please help on how to proceed to update to 10.5.8 from the options above, or any ideas outside of those you might have.

Thanks a lot. Your explanation on Kernels make a ton of sense and has been very helpful this far.

You're welcome, it's good to know the post is helpful.

Could you please be specific on how to proceed as you've been with getting the kernel ready.

Please start a new thread.

I would prefer not to turn this into a support thread for issues that has nothing to do with the topic (updating/installing a kernel). The main idea is to keep it as universal as possible, providing support for your specific case here would undermine the topic and confuse the issue.

I would like to encourage anyone posting here to only discuss the topic at hand - thanks for your understanding.

• 2 months later...

This may be a little off topic although I don't think so. Let me preface by saying I haven't fully tried the method you outlined above, but please hear me out anyway. Last time I was able to combo update to 10.5.5 and after replacing the mach_kernel with my previous one from Kalyway 10.5.2 and some ATA kexts from same distro I was able to boot and About This Mac showed 10.5.5... yay!

I downloaded the 10.5.8 combo update and figured I could do the same method, install the update, reboot into single user mode and copy my backup of mach_kernel and said extensions over... HOWEVER.... the 10.5.8 combo update froze up my whole system at Writing Files (14%).

My question is, will this method of updating you've presented avoid this problem? Do you presume it froze because it updated the kernel to the Vanilla one from the combo update or maybe those blacklisted extensions got in somehow...? I'm asking before I do the procedure because as a result of the above, I had to clear my partition and reinstall 10.5.2 :'-(

Thank you for your instruction ;-)

Do you presume it froze because it updated the kernel to the Vanilla one from the combo update or maybe those blacklisted extensions got in somehow...?

If you don't rename the kernel it will get overwritten by the vanilla kernel when installing an update. That's the reason why you should rename it (and adjust /Extra/org/chameleon.Boot.plist accordingly).

Logically, since it's the Voodoo kernel that does the blacklisting, if it gets replaced with the Apple kernel, then there's no more blacklisting.

I already explained this in the first post.

The (obsolete) modbin kernel had its own set of features and limitations. I don't remember what they were.
If you're using the modbin kernel then I can't help you. This thread is about the Voodoo Kernel and Voodoo kernel derivatives, please stay on topic!

A Voodoo kernel derivative uses the Voodoo Kernel codebase and inherits all its features.

The kernels linked to and attached in the first post are all Voodoo-based and share the same features.

About org.chameleon.Boot.plist (or com.apple.Boot.plist, if you're using an older version of Chameleon) and where to put it, I believe I was clear enough about that in the first post.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I have a dell inspiron 1525 running kalyway 10.5.2, and it specs out the same as every other inspiron 1525 other than the fact that it has a celeron (ick) processor. I am wondering how to update to 10.5.8, preferably without a kernel panic :) . Thanks in advance!

First do exactly as I've explained in the first post. If you have any questions related to that, feel free to ask here.

Asking about whatever else you need to do is off topic and does not belong in this thread

Please read this post before posting here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1420146

• 5 weeks later...

Okay thanks,understand. By being able to expand the files, it combine both, once they are in the same directory.

Just to confirm, what is the size you got when you expand it? Just to make sure I have the correct size file.

mines are 6,035 & 6,773kb