Need Help To Get Rtl8187l Workin` On Snow Leopard

kidalive

14 posts in this topic

Greetings, OS X geeks.

Nice to meet you guys here. I`ve learned a lot of stuff here. Recently I upgraded my OS to Snow Leopard but I got a compatible issue with my wireless LAN card on 10.6. The utility cannont show up and run on 10.6 which is x64 based. So I wrote a letter to the Realtek ask for the 10.6 driver but they told me they won`t release a 10.6 driver for this card. They had released the 10.4 and 10.5 drivers of this product but they said the 10.5 will be the last support of this card. So I WONDERING IS IT POSSIBLE U GUYS WHO CAN HELP RELEASE A special release for 10.6? Just some mod based on the 10.5 HERE.

Pls have a try.

:)

Regards

Just spent the whole day playing with this, it worked after fixing the most stupid issue ever...

The Realtek 10.5 driver works fine on 10.6, *but* the installer doesn't. What you have to do is install it, then go to /System/Library/Extensions, and change the ownership of it to root:wheel (google how to install kext files and it shows the commands). Alternatively move the kext file back to your home directory, then run one of the kext installer programs that does it for you. Then reboot

Strangely, when I plugged my card in it didnt automatically pick it up. I had to go to the command time and type sudo kextutil -t -v /System/Library/Extensions/rt8187l.kext for it to work. the -v is optional but I like to see whats happening.

Once I did that SL popped up with a new interface. Remember to click apply immediaely after saying yes to the new interface or it won't be enabled!!

--Chris

• 4 months later...
Just spent the whole day playing with this, it worked after fixing the most stupid issue ever...

The Realtek 10.5 driver works fine on 10.6, *but* the installer doesn't. What you have to do is install it, then go to /System/Library/Extensions, and change the ownership of it to root:wheel (google how to install kext files and it shows the commands). Alternatively move the kext file back to your home directory, then run one of the kext installer programs that does it for you. Then reboot

Strangely, when I plugged my card in it didnt automatically pick it up. I had to go to the command time and type sudo kextutil -t -v /System/Library/Extensions/rt8187l.kext for it to work. the -v is optional but I like to see whats happening.

Once I did that SL popped up with a new interface. Remember to click apply immediaely after saying yes to the new interface or it won't be enabled!!

--Chris

Hey Chris!

I have the exact same problem as you had and I tried to follow your instructions, but I just couldn't get this thing working.

I copied the .kext file to my home directory and deleted the one in the extensions-folder, then I installed the .kext-file again using Kext-Helper B7. Then I did a reboot.

But when I tried to open the Realtek USB Wlan Client Utility it still didn't work. The program always tries to open but crashes in parts of a second. You can't even see the icon in the doc because the program crashes too fast.

So I tried to type "sudo kextutil -t -v /System/Library/Extensions/rt8187l.kext" in my terminal window, but it says Can't stat sudo kextutil -t -v /System/Library/Extensions/rt8187l.kext - No such file or directory.

What did I do wrong?

I got a MacBook Pro with OSX 10.6.4 and installed the Realtek RTL 8187L drivers.

Please write something back, that would be awesome! :rolleyes:

Heiko

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the instructions, Chris.

For anyone wanting more detail, do the following:

1) Download RTL8187L driver for Mac OS X 10.5 from RealTek

2) Install it, including restarting. Ignore the error about the kext not being installed poperly

3) Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal, and type the following commands in order:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chown -R root:wheel RTL8187l.kext/

sudo chmod -R go-rwx RTL8187l.kext/

sudo chmod -R go+rX RTL8187l.kext/

sudo kextutil -t -v /System/Library/Extensions/RTL8187l.kext

4) Agree when it pops up and tells you that there's a new network interface that's been added.

5) You should then be able to open the /Applications/Realtek USB WLAN Client Utility and configure it to connect to your network.

Hope this is useful to someone else!

(Sent while connected from 10.6.3 on my RTL8187L.)

• Like 1

icrew, your system loaded in x86, not in x64?

I'm using it on a CoreDuo MacBook, which only runs in 32-bit mode. I haven't tried it in 64 bit mode on a newer machine, so I can't comment one way or the other on that, sorry.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a USB wireless adapter that uses the RTL8187L chipset. I can use it perfectly on 10.6.4, but if the connection drops below 64%, I can't get an IP address. If I'm using it anywhere above 75% strength it'll get an IP address like *that*, but from where I want to work, it only gets 60% strength. Anyone else have this problem or am I just special.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

2) Install it, including restarting. Ignore the error about the kext not being installed poperly

3) Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal, and type the following commands in order:

4) Agree when it pops up and tells you that there's a new network interface that's been added.

5) You should then be able to open the /Applications/Realtek USB WLAN Client Utility and configure it to connect to your network.

i used this procedure today and it worked...only problem is every time i restart my computer I have to redo it! how can I make it last?

• 1 month later...
i used this procedure today and it worked...only problem is every time i restart my computer I have to redo it! how can I make it last?

try 'available network' click your ssid , click 'add profile' enter your security info(wep or wpa..) then save it. mine has same issue when 1st installed. once it is in profile, it should up running each time system boot up.

• 4 months later...

Hi!

I've used your tips and created a bash script. It simply follow those steps, but for a enhanced experience i disabled the airport card, if both are up, RT8187L often crashes. Obviously i mean i've got a genuine iMac.

So these are the steps:

su
echo "cd /System/Library/Extensions/" > wlanup.sh
echo "chown -R root:wheel RTL8187l.kext/" >> wlanup.sh
echo "chmod -R go-rwx RTL8187l.kext/" >> wlanup.sh
echo "chmod -R go+rX RTL8187l.kext/" >> wlanup.sh
echo "kextutil -t -v /System/Library/Extensions/RTL8187l.kext/" >> wlanup.sh
echo "ifconfig en5 down"  >> wlanup.sh ##en5 is my RTL device, search yours simply typing ifconfig and look for it  omit this if you have just one wlan card##
echo "exit" >> wlanup.sh
exit

after that , just run this command

sudo sh wlanup.sh

That's all!!!