[GUIDE] *NEW* Snow Leopard Retail on ASUS P6T Deluxe V1&V2

dgobe

1,773 posts in this topic

First of all, thank you all for your hard work for the P6T! I've got it working and have booted into SL without any major issues.

However, the one issue I am experiencing is after I install my UAD-1 DSP card in the PCI-E 16x slot. I have a dualboot setup so I have double checked that the card itself is working fine in Windows7. However, when I try to boot into SL, the machine simply just locks up and doesn't finish the boot. In the past I have noticed that if you let the machine sit for a while it (may) possibly boot. But in this case it has not. If I remove the UAD card from the slot the system boots normally.

Does this suggest that perhaps I need to install kext that will recognize this slot now being used?

Thank you for this guide, I just have one question.

In my 'About this Mac' and System Profiler the information it has listed is wrong.

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

I'm running an i7 and wanted to know if perhaps I did something wrong. I've ran the installer making sure 920 was selected and no matter what I can't seem to get it to report the right information.

DSDT update: DSDT v3.00

----------------------------------------

Feb, 3 2010

Hi Fabio, dglobe

Thanks for new DSDT.

However I have problem with sleep even with OpenHaltRestart. Everything else working OK.

One other question, you use device UOI with address 0x0001000 for graphics card,

I have one graphics card in first PCI-E x16 (blue) slot with address 0x00030000 , and I replace PSX devices.

Thanks for everything and any suggestions for sleep ?

Kristijan

Thank you for this guide, I just have one question.

In my 'About this Mac' and System Profiler the information it has listed is wrong.

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

I'm running an i7 and wanted to know if perhaps I did something wrong. I've ran the installer making sure 920 was selected and no matter what I can't seem to get it to report the right information.

Hi,

Since there are no i7 for retail macs (only xeon) and they basically are the same cpu only xeon is more geared for the server, os x will display it as a xeon :)

First of all, many thanks dgobe and iFabio for the instructions and the tools! I now have an almost-functional hackintosh. I say "almost" because there's one slight problem... It won't boot from the hdd.

System:

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2

Core i7-920, 2.66GHz, non-OCed

OCZ Gold OCZ3G1600LV6GK, 6x2GB PC3-12800 DDR3

XFX HD-487A-ZWFC HD4870 1GB

WD15EADS Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB SATA2 drive, single-partition.

ASUS DRW-24B1ST burner

Machine booted via Chameleon, Snow Leopard install went fine, everything (sound and network included) appears to be recognized, but the system returns an "error boot0" message when I try to boot from the hdd. Booting from Chameleon disk and selecting the hdd lets me boot successfully, but no luck otherwise.

Rebooting and rerunning DSDT has no visible effect.

I tried the fdisk fix suggested upthread, but get a "resource busy" error. Booting up from the SL DVD, I was able to unmount the hdd and edit it in fdisk. It told me there was no valid MBR on the partition, which I created.

At that point, fdisk did not report the partition as being detected (I presume due to its being unmounted?). I saved the MBR changes and restarted. The new state is even less encouraging: Black screen with a flashing cursor when trying to boot from hdd.

Still able to boot via Chameleon/hdd combination, but once again, unable to edit the partition via fdisk due to "resource busy" error.

I can still do a total wipe and reinstall, if that's what it takes to fix it. I also haven't yet tried the CPU-independent DSDT patch -- would that be a good idea?

Thanks!

Did you install the P6TDeluxeV2Installer.pkg that comes inside the Iso you downloaded ?

Did you use the Disk Utility to create a GUID partition map in your hdd?

PiSToL

Well I appreciate all the work. I setup I think it was tiger at the time on my laptop like 1 1/2 years ago and it was an entire day of work to get it intalled, having it running with sound ect.. was a whole other story. This literally took me under 1 hour and everything is working fine, even apple updates that don't ruin your install like mine did long ago.

Now I just need to search for some instructions on doing sli and I'm set.

However I have problem with sleep even with OpenHaltRestart. Everything else working OK.

Kristijan

Sorry I spoke too soon, I can confirm sleep does not work, with or wihtout openhaltrestore?

@iFabio

DSDT v3.0 - No problems and the performance does seem a little tighter. No change in Geekbench scores; i7 920 @ 2.67Ghz is plus 1/2% and @ 3.8Ghz it is minus 1%.

PC EFI V 10.6 Released - But it's buggy with our motherboard.

netkas (dot) org/?p=372

No Hide Partition function

About this Mac Information is incorrect - cpu and ram speeds

"pci root uid not found" - bug not fixed

But the following has been added and might be helpful for someone...?

"Support for desktop Radeons 4300/4500/4600 in GraphicsEnabler"

Did you install the P6TDeluxeV2Installer.pkg that comes inside the Iso you downloaded ?

Did you use the Disk Utility to create a GUID partition map in your hdd?

PiSToL

(sorry for the delay; for some reason didn't get a reply notification)

Yes to both. The package was installed with core and i7-920 options enabled.

(sorry for the delay; for some reason didn't get a reply notification)

Yes to both. The package was installed with core and i7-920 options enabled.

Download Chameleon

And try to install It manually:

Installation

============

Normal Install (non-RAID):

--------------------------

Suppose that your installation is on /dev/disk0s2

- Install boot0 to the MBR:

sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

- Install boot1h to the partition's bootsector:

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

- Install boot to the partition's root directory:

sudo cp boot /

Reboot!

New AsereBLN Booter @ efixusers

Update Version 1.1.8:

1. Fixed the font swapping bug (small & console font) for the Booter with an embedded theme.

2. Fixed an issue with memory detection for some mainboard (2 slot only mainboards).

3. Added support for PM45 northbridge memory controller.

4. Added memory manufactor lookup for: Hynix, Nanya, KingMax, Qimonda and SuperTalent.

5. Added nVidia GT240 device lookup.

6. You can now hide HFS partitions too using “Hide Partition” in com.apple.Boot.plist.

7. Made the verbose output the using nVidia/ATI ROM’s more useful.

8. Fixed a bug with sprintf (rek).

9. Merged hibernation fix from Chameleon repo (46).

10. Made verbosity at early bootstage useable.

11. Bugfixes.

Hello everyone.

I want to clarify the situation:

- The new DSDT v3.00 the sleep does not work

In the Italian pages, I've made a version with support PS2 keyboards (v3.00-PS2) same sleep issue

anyway (This DSDT v3.00 still a great alternative if you aren't interested in sleep function)

- Now... the best alternative for having a fully functional system(Sleep too) is the DSDT M2.3 version. (obviously you need OpenHaltRestart.kext in the Extras folder)

I will do soon... some test to try optimize the DSDT M2.x

Fabio

@ maitaijim

@ dgobe

@ st3p

@ PiSToLBR

@ fc bayern

Thanks to everyone for the feedback received

(best and fast way to find issue :) )

This is an awesome thread.

Want to buy a new computer, but I want to be able to run os x on it so this is great.

I have a macbook pro, I'm moments away from ordering this combo.

Can you please tell me if I need anything else? And if possible the exact steps to worry about. (i.e. to get this gfx to work)

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131365

XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814150443

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115211

My questions are...

1) Will this work using snow leopard?

2) I want to multi boot, what process needs to be done

3) I'd like to run

a) Windows Ultimate 7 64 bit

:) Ubuntu or Fedora

c) Snow Leopard

What is the preferred install order, and how well does snow leopard work on this os?

My goal is to use the new computer to offload some rendering (both 3d rendering in which I'll use maya on windows) and encoding videos (that I produce via screenflow) on the mac.

Right now with my macbook pro it takes forever to encode and I'm hoping this will help out. (2 core (macbook pro) vs 4 core (this processor))

I want to run linux because I like to, and I'd prefer not to run windows when using the internet. (and as I'm not 100% sure how well snow leopard will work on this computer, I'd like the option), but it's not a deal killer, but if os x doesn't work I'll be using linux instead)

Windows will be used for playing video games (something I haven't done in a while since switching over to the mac 3-4 years ago). As well as rendering out from maya.

This won't be my main machine, but I want it to be stable.

I will likely use OSX for the following tasks: (on this computer)

Final Cut Pro - Editing HD Video shot with my canon 7d

Designing Keynote Presentations

Encoding and possibly Recording Screenflow screen capture videos

A quick question: I've seen guides on using a flash drive, how does that work. Do you just stick the flash drive in your pc and boot up on it into snow leopard? if so can I setup my system where I just input the flash drive to boot into osx and then write to a fat 32 partition?

And then just normally boot into windows or linux using grub or whatever?

I'm going to have 1 sata hd (1.5 tb) and 1 sata dvd drive.

Thanks for reading this, I look forward to your reply's, will likely have the system in 3-4 days depending on weather and how long it takes for shipping!

Hmm, Any chance at some help?

My system specs are in my sig.

I keep getting a kernal error code: 0x0000000000000010

I wish I could capture the screen shot. I do have digital camera pics of some of the code as I am not able to take a photo of all the code.

I get to the same place each time and it gives the same code.

Any idea's?

New AsereBLN Booter @ efixusers

Update Version 1.1.8:

1. Fixed the font swapping bug (small & console font) for the Booter with an embedded theme.

2. Fixed an issue with memory detection for some mainboard (2 slot only mainboards).

3. Added support for PM45 northbridge memory controller.

4. Added memory manufactor lookup for: Hynix, Nanya, KingMax, Qimonda and SuperTalent.

5. Added nVidia GT240 device lookup.

6. You can now hide HFS partitions too using “Hide Partition” in com.apple.Boot.plist.

7. Made the verbose output the using nVidia/ATI ROM’s more useful.

8. Fixed a bug with sprintf (rek).

9. Merged hibernation fix from Chameleon repo (46).

10. Made verbosity at early bootstage useable.

11. Bugfixes.

AsereBLN Booter Version 1.1.8

Fabio

@m1st4freeZe - Putting Win 7 and Ubuntu on a separate hard drive (standard Win 7 then Ubuntu dual-boot setup) will greatly simplify setting up a triple-boot system. This will also protect your other operating systems if OS X has issues in the future. If you do get a one HDD triple boot system running, come back and tell what method worked for you.

Not sure about the 5870 or the i7 950, best way to find that information is the google search box at the top of the page. Search the same place for software support.

@Addictionz - What boot flags have you tried? Check all your BIOS settings and have only one HDD plugged in to the first SATA port. Are you using a Retail SL DVD? Could be an issue with your hardware and AsereBLN Booter but this is not likely.

@m1st4freeZe

I agree with maitaijim regarding the hard drive setup. What's the point of triple or quad booting on a desktop? Throw an extra hard drive in and you'll get better performance too. By the way, there is a multi-boot and virtualization forum you can look into.

Your video card selection will more than likely result in a black screen in the installer. netkas.org is the place to check for supported video cards in addition to those already supported by OS X. I would also recommend an aftermarket cooler and save some money by getting an i7 920 that you overclock...unless your intention of getting a 950 is to have more overclocking headroom. The 950 will work fine with the processor independent DSDT.

@additionz

tyfle has your video card and solved the problem, he even has links to the solution in his signature. Did you try this? Read before you post and mention what you have tried when you ask a question.

guys i can not thank you enough for this guide. this is the most easiest and simple guide to get put SL on pc. so thank you very very much all of you guys.

Just a one question:

I am running this with second hard drive with windows 7. My question is how come NTFS-3G does not work on on the SL. I think its because we are running 64 bit kext. so is there a way around it so that i can run NTFS-3G?

The main purpose for me to run NTFS-3G so that I can read and Write on Windows Hard drive from Snow Leopard.

so can some one please help me out with this problem

thanks

ok i think it was more than one question sorry about that

guys i can not thank you enough for this guide. this is the most easiest and simple guide to get put SL on pc. so thank you very very much all of you guys.

Just a one question:

I am running this with second hard drive with windows 7. My question is how come NTFS-3G does not work on on the SL. I think its because we are running 64 bit kext. so is there a way around it so that i can run NTFS-3G?

The main purpose for me to run NTFS-3G so that I can read and Write on Windows Hard drive from Snow Leopard.

so can some one please help me out with this problem

thanks

ok i think it was more than one question sorry about that

You have to run in 32bit for the free NTFS-3G to work. You would put arch=i386 into the kernel flags in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist.

http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/

You can go into System Profiler and click on the Software category and it will show 64bit extensions = No if you have it working in 32bit mode.

They have a commercial product here:

http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/

And you can run in an unsupported way with the native NTFS code in OS X, at your own risk(probably buggy):

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ntfs+rw+snow+leopard <--somewhat sarcastic but you get the idea.... :huh:

hello everyone,

with a big thanks to all my system is working fine with all hardware.now I have snow leo 10.6.1 installed.but only my wifi is not presnt in "system preferences/network.I can't even add it there.but in hardware info under airport card I have these infos.

Software Versions:

Menu Extra: 6.0 (600.22)

configd plug-in: 6.0 (600.27)

System Profiler: 6.0 (600.9)

Network Preference: 6.0 (600.22)

AirPort Utility: 5.4.2 (542.23)

IO80211 Family: 3.0 (300.20)

any solutions please.

I've just finished my dual boot w/ win 7 :) I've also acknowledged some minor problems:

- When I use iStat my CPU temp is around 52°C, then I come back to win 7: it's about 42°C (AI suite). Is it okay? and how can I know the GPU temp?

- About the performance in Snow Leopard, my geekbench is 11000 smt. Is it acceptable for an i7 hackintosh? Thks and sorry for my bad english.

I've just finished my dual boot w/ win 7 :D I've also acknowledged some minor problems:

- When I use iStat my CPU temp is around 52°C, then I come back to win 7: it's about 42°C (AI suite). Is it okay? and how can I know the GPU temp?

- About the performance in Snow Leopard, my geekbench is 11000 smt. Is it acceptable for an i7 hackintosh? Thks and sorry for my bad english.

PLS add your signature...

the i7 geekbench is near (9500 for i7 920 stock) to (13000 for i7 975 stock)

Fabio