[GUIDE] *NEW* Snow Leopard Retail on ASUS P6T Deluxe V1&V2

dgobe

1,773 posts in this topic

Hello,

I was hoping someone could give me an idea why I am having the following trouble,

All music production related software, Ableton Live, NI maschine, GrarageBand ( legal copies) are failing to load , I always get the "program is not responding" message this happened all of a sudden, does anyone know how I can trouble shoot this issue?

Does it have to do with build in sound? I have never intalled the sound patcher, cause my sound in for example Itunes always worked

Help would be very much appreciated

That's weird if you are only using the built-in sound and iTunes works. Do you have any other sound cards installed? If not, I'm not sure how sound is working without the patch. Does the v1 board use a compatible device id? Fabio has a v1 board he would know.

In general when you have program weirdness the first thing I do is delete/rename the preference file(s) for the app. They are usually stored in your home directory under: /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences

For example, find org.videolan.vlc.plist and rename it. Then try to run the program. VLC has an app in the Goodies folder of the installation disk image that will also delete the preferences. For dmarcus, if it still doesn't work, delete the prefs file(s) and try re-installing the app.

UNRELATED EDIT:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...d.php?t=1314406

Apparently there are issues with NVidia cards and 10.6.4. I saw someone complaining about low frame rates in their games....they are working on a fix.

Hello everyone,

Since the update 10.6.3 and 10.6.4. I'm having problems with graphic cards. I can't run some programs properly (Not enough VRAM ?? not support QE ??).

Well, I Thought it was a problem of 10.6.3 and waited for the new 10.6.4, however the problem remained.

I did a fresh installation with boot package v 1.15 by dgobe DSDT 3.3 by iFabio, audiopachter 10.6.4. With 1 graphic card and default com.apple.boot.plist, everything it's ok, except sleep and all programs runs properly. However when I insert GFX string (for 2 GTS 250 512MB) on com.apple.boot.plist everything like running ok, but when I run some programs that require more graphics the problems begin.

Strange that I have not had these problems with versions 10.6, 10.6.1 and 10.6.2.

Did anyone know how to solve this problem

Kind Regards

I'm a novice at Hackintoshing, so forgive me if I ask a dumb question.

I was able to get SL running on my P6T Deluxe V2 system (i7 920, nVidia GT275) with very little effort thanks to this forum, and this topic in particular.

I noticed that Chameleon V2-RC4 is out. One of the fixes listed for it is support for file sizes greater than 2 GB.

My primary purpose of the hackintosh is capturing videos to disk, and the file sizes sometimes are greater than 8 GB.. Is there any benefit to upgrading to RC4? Will I need the 2 GB file fix? If so, does anyone know where there are instructions for doing the upgrade?

Thanks for a great effort guys, this stuff is priceless.

You're already using a boot loader newer than RC4. The HFS fix in the release notes is regarding hibernation files(similar to HIBERFIL.SYS in Windows) over a certain size so it's not relevant. HFS+ allows a max file size of 8 Exabytes.

That's weird if you are only using the built-in sound and iTunes works. Do you have any other sound cards installed? If not, I'm not sure how sound is working without the patch. Does the v1 board use a compatible device id? Fabio has a v1 board he would know.

In general when you have program weirdness the first thing I do is delete/rename the preference file(s) for the app. They are usually stored in your home directory under: /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences

For example, find org.videolan.vlc.plist and rename it. Then try to run the program. VLC has an app in the Goodies folder of the installation disk image that will also delete the preferences. For dmarcus, if it still doesn't work, delete the prefs file(s) and try re-installing the app.

UNRELATED EDIT:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...d.php?t=1314406

Apparently there are issues with NVidia cards and 10.6.4. I saw someone complaining about low frame rates in their games....they are working on a fix.

Hi thanks for your reply,

I think Garageband is causing the problem without it on fresh install all is working, I guess I am going to install it now and see.

YES, I never ever used the patch on my system, I have no additional sound card installed on my machine, however maybe my speakers have it build inside

Hi thanks for your reply,

I think Garageband is causing the problem without it on fresh install all is working, I guess I am going to install it now and see.

YES, I never ever used the patch on my system, I have no additional sound card installed on my machine, however maybe my speakers have it build inside

HI,

I'm not sure if this could be relevant here but when my daughter updated her MacBook Pro to 10.6.4 (1.83 A1150 with

optional ATI GFx upgrade) the downloaded files was a massive 2gb. She did not preview what was being downloaded but did notice a 'Garage Band' update when it was installing.

There was no such update for my MBP... (I haven't installed this prog. on my Hack yet)

Is there a way to install Mac OS 10.5.7 with the boot132 provided in this thread. I installed 10.6.3 with this and it went so well comparded to what I did a year ago with iaktos and such. The problem is that I have a few compatibility issues with Snow that makes me want to go back to 10.5.7.

Is there a way to install Mac OS 10.5.7 with the boot132 provided in this thread. I installed 10.6.3 with this and it went so well comparded to what I did a year ago with iaktos and such. The problem is that I have a few compatibility issues with Snow that makes me want to go back to 10.5.7.

Hi, Simple answer NO this 'Snow' Leopard install..

Dumb question but does this method work on the standard P6T motherboard. I just finished building an i7-930 using the P6T and a nividia GTX260 video card.

If so, which iso version should I download in post #1.

Thanks.

I tried using the method documented here Lifehacker - install SL on your hackintoshBut I get Kernel Panics once darwin starts booting up. I doubled checked the bios settings in that site with mine and its pretty close, as close as you can get when dealing with different bios versions.

Any help would be appreciated, btw, I used the original Snow Leopard disk, that apple sold, I don't know if newer disks contain newer versions that may be more compatible.

@dgobe and maitaijim,

Thanks a lot! Everything is working like a charm! And the click-and-done Installer Package really makes the whole process so damn simple, it's almost too good to be true :)

Keep up the good work!

Can you share here your DSDT with fixed ICH10 to work all SATA-drives?

Thx!

I updated installed system (10.6.0) to 10.6.4 by comboupdate and certainly lost sound ;)

Tried to patch appleHDA (like wrote in 1st post) but no success.

Temporary get sound by replace the appleHDA by 10.6.2 version.

One "bug":

all internal SATA-drives (except system drive) displayed like "disconnectable portable hdd's" with "eject" symbol (displayed on picturies below). Any idea how to correct this?

Thx for this excellent instruction!!!

post-243199-1277721755.png

post-243199-1277721765.png

Hi

the DSDT (EFI String versions) is a old version, and the conflict is not located into the DSDT but into the EFI Strings code generated when I made it!

If you refind old post the error is related to some incompatible "slot location" (a cosmetics "fix")...

So The DSDT Efi Version + com.apple.Boot.plist (with the efi strings) still have that sleep/shutdown problem...

I suggest you (if you looking for a Efi Strings GFX injection) to use last DSDT 3.3 or M2.5 (I remind are exactly the same the difference are the size) and make by yourself a Efi strings for your GFX card...

So don't use that old DSDT (because I have not correct the problem), maybe when i have more free time to build a 3.3 version for Efi Strings combo use... but are a lot of CPU (i7 920/30/40/50/60/65/75/80x...) give me nuts...

Fabio

Hi Fabio,

i wonder if this is why I've not been able to use your DSDT with my EFI string? (I've tried adding my 2 gfx cards to the dsdt - I managed to boot with both cards, but without QI/CE). EFI string is working with my original DSDT still.

Robin

Hi Fabio,

i wonder if this is why I've not been able to use your DSDT with my EFI string? (I've tried adding my 2 gfx cards to the dsdt - I managed to boot with both cards, but without QI/CE). EFI string is working with my original DSDT still.

Robin

Hi Robin

1) Your i7 975 SpeedStep work propely?

2) Post here your IOREG where you have the two GTX250 working... we try first a DSDT injection ...

PS PLS a IOREG (graphics version.. no text version.. ;))

Fabio

Hi Robin

1) Your i7 975 SpeedStep work propely?

2) Post here your IOREG where you have the two GTX250 working... we try first a DSDT injection ...

PS PLS a IOREG (graphics version.. no text version.. :construction:)

Fabio

Hi Fabio,

1) I think so - see the attached screenshot from msr tools

2) attached - it's one GTS 250 1GB and one 8400 GS 256Mb

many thanks :construction:

Robin

post-75072-1277740474_thumb.jpg

ioreg_gts250_8400gs.zip

Hey,

Thanks for an awesome guide.

Had a few troubles during the process. Just thought id list them incase anyone has anything similar.

Highpoint RocketRAID 2320 - while it has read support for legacy and RAID arrays, Charmeleon would not load with the card in place. As soon as the card was unplugged, or all HDD removed from card, then Charmeleon would load. Once Snow Leopard was installed, Charmeleon would boot properly.

Charmeleon however would load regardless of any SiL RAID cards or drive arrays.

Also, ATi 5770 - "-x" or "GraphicsEnabler=n" or "GraphicsEnabler=n arch=i386" still resulted in black boot when configured in crossfire, or as a second card, was installed. However upon successful install of Snow Leopard, the second card could be replaced back in the system. Still waiting for working 5*** series Kext. Will see how it works.

Also, im an not sure if this is a reporting error or standard for Hackintosh, but "About This Mac" shows Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz DDR3 RAM as being DDR2 @ 800Mhz.

The rear I/O panel Firewire works fine, however i can not seem to get the mid-board connector to show in Snow Leopard.

Apart from that, once the updates to 10.6.4 ect are complete i will see if there is anything else to clean up.

Trying unsuccessfully to install SL on my P6T Deluxe V2, specs as in sig!

Have a Retail SL 10.6 DVD and using a CD image of AsusP6TDeluxeV2_boot-132v1.15.iso but after swapping the disc in Chameleon and pressing F5 the screen goes corrupt and I can't select anything? I see 2 icons, a Hard Disk and my Pre-Formatted HFS+ drive I'm going to install too, except I can't get past this corrupt screen with the SL DVD? Tried TAB and -x, GraphicsEnabler=n and other options but I get the same screen corruption no matter what so I can't use the DVD to install from? I do remember on one occasion at Darwin boot I swapped discs pressed F5 and got back into chameleon and saw a disc icon with APPLE_HFS on it and thought that had worked but still couldn't select anything and screen went corrupt again!

Then I had an idea of creating a USB install by using a Kalyway 10.5.2 disc to boot to the Disk Util and formatting my USB drive but when I use RESTORE the SL DVD can't be dragged to the Source box, it doesn't change to a green disc with the + sign? So I created a New Image to an attached HDD and then I could RESTORE to my USB, but I can't install the P6T Deluxe Installer v1.15.pkg file as I'm not in OSX proper? How can I patch/modify my USB Install to include the files in the .pkg file? The USB does start installing but hangs some lines after the TimeMachine message with:

IOAPIC Version 0x20 vectors 64:87

IOAPIC Version 0x20 vectors 88:111

and stays there!!

I abandoned the 10.5.2 Leopard install because I could never figure out what options to select and it always hung on the white screen with the apple logo and spinning circle icon and I could never figure out why so I'm trying SL now and still not getting anywhere :) Can someone try to walk me through these obstacles so I can get SL installed please as it's difficult trying to read and extract this info from nearly 1000 posts, i've tried but still can't get anywhere!

*EDIT* Screwed up posting, should be in the Asus P6T Deluxe V1&2 thread!! Sorry!

Thanks a lot for this guide!

I got Snow Leo almost working the way I want it to.

But there are two things that don't work, please help me, I have already searched this and other forums for a week.

I installed using the 132-boot disc, it worked straight away.

After install my system profiler recognized my CPU as a quad core Xeon, and my ram as 6GB DDR3 @ 1069.

I immediately had internet and sound and everything, except graphics support. No res change and no QE/CI.

Also, I could only start OSX from the boot disc, so I tried the solving boot problems section with no success.

Then I used the boot file given in this topic somewhere. Now OSX will boot but the CPU doesn't show in system profiler, and my mem now shows DDR2 @ 800 MHz.

What happened and how can I correct it?

As for the video drivers. My card ID is 7104 but I've found that some people made it work on Leo using device ID 7109, which is the x1800 card. I tried using the same method but it uses the ATINDRV kext which is not in snow leo anymore, if I'm correct.

Has anyone had any success with the x1800 on snow leo?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

hummmmmm............. well I've almost got it working........ almost almost almost......I can get into Snow Leopard but I still have to use the boot-132 cd. Not sure what else to try so thought I would turn here..... I have:

asus p6t deluxe v2

intel i7 - 930

Evga GeForce 9800 GT 512MB

6GB Ram

1.5 TB WD

Asus cd/dvd rom (which I'm noticing the eject button on it doesn't work when in leopard)

snow leopard 10.6.3

I used version 1.15 of the installer......

I wasn't able to boot with out the boot-132 afterwards so typed in the fdisk and all.....still nothing....

when it would boot I would get the "Boot0: error" so followed the directions to install Chameleon, so I did this and installed Chameleon RC4, now when booting the screen reads....

Boot0: GPT

Boot0: testing

Boot0: error

What now?????

I have also tried to make the partition active through terminal / fdisk and still nothing.... :(

hummmmmm............. well I've almost got it working........ almost almost almost......I can get into Snow Leopard but

I used version 1.15 of the installer......

I wasn't able to boot with out the boot-132 afterwards so typed in the fdisk and all.....still nothing....

when it would boot I would get the "Boot0: error" so followed the directions to install Chameleon, so I did this and installed Chameleon RC4, now when booting the screen reads....

Boot0: GPT

Boot0: error

What now?????

I have also tried to make the partition active through terminal / fdisk and still nothing.... :(

Hi, I'm no expert here & used the USB Method myself. dgobe's installer includes Chameleon RC5 (although mine did identify as RC4) & has an option to select DSDT for 930. If I was you I'd go back through the process again read & follow the Guide carefully. (see also above post about 'other boot file' there may be a problem??)

I'm pretty sure I read large H/D's (over 1TB) are no longer A problem but I would research this first, otherwise

your combo should be easy. :). If you however are trying to install on a partition (not whole drive) this is not

the recommended install. Not to say it can't or hasn't been done though, you'll have to read back post's to see.

After install my system profiler recognized my CPU as a quad core Xeon, and my ram as 6GB DDR3 @ 1069.

I immediately had internet and sound and everything, except graphics support. No res change and no QE/CI.

What happened and how can I correct it?

As for the video drivers. My card ID is 7104 but I've found that some people made it work on Leo using device ID 7109, which is the x1800 card. I tried using the same method but it uses the ATINDRV kext which is not in snow leo anymore, if I'm correct.

Has anyone had any success with the x1800 on snow leo?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I think you will find system profiler is only cosmetic. It can be customised to your setup if you really wish to. That one you can research and probably do for yourself otherwise 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' :D

As far as not supported especially ATI cards 'Gee only a week :) . I have been at it for months as far as my 4870x2

expect to learn things you never intended on learning & google places you never expected too.. If your Very patient

you MAY find a solution.. Defiantly a labour of love not common sense these ones Good Luck :tomato::tomato:

Hi, I'm no expert here & used the USB Method myself. dgobe's installer includes Chameleon RC5 (although mine did identify as RC4) & has an option to select DSDT for 930. If I was you I'd go back through the process again read & follow the Guide carefully. (see also above post about 'other boot file' there may be a problem??)

I'm pretty sure I read large H/D's (over 1TB) are no longer A problem but I would research this first, otherwise

your combo should be easy. :) . If you however are trying to install on a partition (not whole drive) this is not

the recommended install. Not to say it can't or hasn't been done though, you'll have to read back post's to see.

Thanks, Yeah I've read that drives over 1TB are okay now.....so thats why we went with the drive thats in there..... It's all set up on the whole disk not a partition. I have followed the guide to the "T" and yeah......nuttin.......I'm going to try and do another install again, and if that doesn't work then I'll try the USB method and see how that goes...... fingers crossed

I have a 500 GB drive that I used successfully to create a Snow Leopard boot disk.

I need now for various reasons to reload SL on it. When I follow the procedure described in this thread, the SL installer doesn't see the drive. It shows up in the profiler, but neither the installer or Disk Utility can find find it. I've tried repartitioning the drive, erasing it. etc., and nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks.

I have a 500 GB drive that I used successfully to create a Snow Leopard boot disk.

I need now for various reasons to reload SL on it. When I follow the procedure described in this thread, the SL installer doesn't see the drive. It shows up in the profiler, but neither the installer or Disk Utility can find find it. I've tried repartitioning the drive, erasing it. etc., and nothing seems to work.

Hi, please include your signature this can help others help you. I gather you're using a Mac to do this..

If you are I have solved external disks not being recognised by restarting Mac with Snow Retail in drive

at restart hold 'c', disk utility from there should see it then do disk/permissions repair quit & restart. I'm not

sure this works on a Hack as I haven't tried & I'm experimenting with mine at mo.

If that fails (only once for me) I used Ubuntu to erase disk (don't remember if or what I formatted to).

I would suggest your problem is not related to the installer but other reasons..

Thanks everyone, I've been trying every so often to get OSX installed on my i7 system for nearly a year now, and finally, thanks to this guide I've done it :(

I did previously manage to get a iPC version running, but that was leopard and it was a bit flaky tbh. I've only had this up for about 30 mins, and I'm loving it so far :P