Help with Linux nVida driver

Jeezoflip

21 posts in this topic

Hello. Im kinda a newb with linux, so please bare with me. I downloaded the latest nVidia driver for linuxia32. I know how to run it of course, but it says "Error: Unable to find the system utility 'ld'; please make sure you have the package 'binutils' installed. If you do have binutils installed, then please check that 'ld' is in your PATH."

Whats 'ld'? And binutils?

ok, well i got past a bunch of that, but now its saying that the nVidia driver wont install with the kernal unless it was the one it was compiled under, which was gcc 3.4. Im running 4. Any way past this? Also im trying to install wine, and i have Linux on a partition on the same drive as xp, and it wont read a windows directory. hda1 shows up under my drives, which i think is the windows drive, but it says i dont have permission to use it cause i dont own it.

ok, so... in the Synaptic package manager, i switched to a difference repository, and downloaded the gcc 3.4 kernel and such. But now, yet another error comes up saying 'Unable to find the kernal source tree for currently running kernel'.

So, i go back to the syn pack man, and look to install the source trees. They only have it for ver 2.4, and 2.6.

post-17496-1151851083_thumb.jpg

Wait, you downloaded the nvidia drivers? Forgive my ignorance (it's been ages since I've ever had the agony of running an apt-based system that other idiots spent years doing a bad admin job on and to this day apt scares me; plus it wasn't Ubuntu it was Debian *gasps for air*), but are you doing things the Right Way and performing the apt-get install nvidia-glx? (actually, I never used synaptic, but installing through synaptic should work just fine)

Things like this tend to go smoothest when you know your distro's Correct Method of doing things, ESPECIALLY in Ubuntu and Debian where the kernel stuff (for people who don't compile their own kernels) is automagical and does the job in two seconds when you know what you're doing. I think the process described in the wiki works. Your main problem could very well be that you don't have the "restricted" packages and you don't see the nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel stuff.

See the other wiki for even more detail about how to run your system like a pro. That's what I like about Linux. Many times "Read the Wiki" is the answer :(

Judging by the posts, I think he completely missed the pre-compiled nV drivers from the restricted repo. Anyway, The Ubuntu forums and wiki has way more info than what we have here. Stating the fact that he was running Dapper early on would have solved his problem if he was pointed to the nV install wiki. We don't even know if he installed the required build-essential package to compile his own drivers.

isn't there an nvidia apt package in the repository? (correct me if i'm wrong)

Yes. But they are not in 'main', 'multiverse', or 'universe', which I assume would be the ones enabled by default seeing as to how 'restricted' means just that.

I'm having the same problem. I'm running SuSe 10.1. I downloaded the nvidia drivers. Got them installed eventually. Had to run from init 3. It did its thing, and i went back into init 5. Then i configured x.org, the sax2 thingy. However i still cannot play 3d games. Man its annoying. Im a newbie to linux, started off with a slax live cd. This is my first actual installation.

Any help will be gratefully recieved :D

But they are not in 'main', 'multiverse', or 'universe', which I assume would be the ones enabled by default seeing as to how 'restricted' means just that.

Your assumption is correct. Ubuntu will not package anything in the repo unless it is proven stable or worth while. In ATI's case, I had to compile my own drivers because the newest drivers didn't have significant changes in them to upp on the repo.

@sb, I have limited knowledge in SuSE but you can prolly check the following and read up on it if you haven't done so.

http://en.opensuse.org/Using_Xgl_on_SUSE_Linux

@sb, I have limited knowledge in SuSE but you can prolly check the following and read up on it if you haven't done so.

http://en.opensuse.org/Using_Xgl_on_SUSE_Linux

I have already tried that. There is also another guide on that site for installing the actual drivers and not just enabling xgl. Thats what i followed to install the drivers. However they dont seem to actually do anything. I still cant play xmoto, :happymac:

****EDIT****

I finally managed to get them to work. For anybody else having problems making this work in SuSe 10 use this guide http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA. After installing the driver, type sax2. It will start up, there is a little checkbox that says enable 3d acceleration. Check it, save shanges, reboot, sorted :angry:

Guess what, Linux is just a complation of software that needs user intervention to function properly. You just need to stick with it. At the point, Linux is not user friendly enough for the average user tamed for Mac and Windows. You should try out SuSE. I got my TI4200 to work out of the box and you also get xgl/compiz without the hastle that Ubuntu users got.

Pah, one of the reasons I stick with Gentoo is that it's the one of the easier distros to get help for and install experimental stuff in. Although sometimes all you get out of it is turning five-minute cluebatting sessions into thirty-minute cluebatting sessions, other times it's just plain clean goodness. If taste is an indicator, I like my food pretty plain... except when I pour on the Tabasco.

Post your xorg.conf before you lose all hope. Giving up on your distro because you can't get ONE THING working is cowardice!

an advice: avoid the installation of things using an executable, always use the distro package manager.

a side note: used ubuntu for a week(in a friend's pc :D) but i saw that the main repository is not that good. you need an external source