Best Laptops With Full Hardware Support and Acceleration

jacob019

281 posts in this topic

Hi all, this is my first post, great forum!!!

Here my spec:

IBM T60 2623-d7u

Cpu T2500 Core Duo >> SystemProf see as Core Solo 1mb cache. System monitoring see the two cores and all be seems ok.

Ram 3gb >> ok

Video X1400 >> Working great after patching x1000.kext and boot.plist

WiFI Chip Atheros a/b/g >> Works great after patching IO802family kext

BT >> Work out of the box

Ethernet >> out of the box

Battery >> Works with powermanagement.kext

Audio HD >> Works only out and headphone with azalia.pkg

PCMCIA >> Not tested yet

Trackpoint >> out of the box

Leopard ToH RC2

Bye and sorry if my english is so bad!

• 2 weeks later...

I installed iATKOS on my 8738 and it works great using the efi option. The wireless driver for the Realtek from Tiger still works, and Safari 3 plays youtube vids fine, but I haven't fixed the sound yet. The patch shown above is one way to fix sound, and hopefully it still works in Leo, but how does that method compare with changing the id number to the correct one? Anybody know which way is better?

Sony Viao Vgn-N11M

Price: around $650.00

Sony Vaio model VGN-N11M Laptop

Processor: Intel Core Duo T2050 1.6 GHz 2 MB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB....works 100%

Mainboard: Intel 945GM....works 100%

2 Memory banks: 1 512 MB, DDR2 SDRAM, PC2-4200, 533 MHz stick....works 100%

Graphics adapter: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950....works 100%

Harddisk: 80GB 5400rpm S-ATA....works 100%

Soundcard: Azalia HD Audio .... works @ 80% headphone output is cool but I have not got the Mic input to work yet. still working on it.

Connections Express Card (34mm), IEEE1394...never tested

Firewire,.. never tested

2x USB 2.0....works 100%

VGA out.....works 100%

Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g, based on Atheros chip...works 100%

Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet.... works 100%

Texas-instruments Memory Stick slot & SD Card slot..... not working for me yet but works with linux.

Optical drive DVD Multi (DL) Writer ..works 100%

Touch-pad: Synaptics Alps..... Update: works! two finger scrolling, zoom everything 100%

The only things left to fix are speed steping, The fact my system wont boot without the Dc power cable plugged in and the Mic input.

post-134065-1200469263_thumb.jpg

post-134065-1200474783_thumb.jpg

post-134065-1200474854_thumb.jpg

Thinkpad X61 works just about perfectly for Leopard, only had to swap wireless to Thinkpad Atheros equivalent.

Installed from Retail Leopard using EFI v8

Sound - works using Azalia

Video (GMA950) - works with AppleIntelIntegratedBuffer mod (QE/CI) - also seemlessly detects and displays on external displays/projectors

Wireless - works perfectly, after replacing Intel Wireless with Thinkpad Atheros

Ethernet - works - however, doesn't always detect network connection, have to remove NIC in System Prefs and re-add then it works, also it rarely shows the Ethernet connection as green (connected) even though it's working fine.

DVD/CD read/write - working 100%

USB - all works

Firewire - works

MediaSlice - all works

PowerManagement - Had it working in 10.4.10, but not in Leopard, never had sleep/wake working

Time Machine - works

FingerPrint reader - not working

PC Card slot (PCMCIA) - It does work, but don't use it.

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on my Gateway MX8738. Fixed the battery indicator with the solution on the iATKOS forum. It's super accurate from what I tested today. The display said 1% remaining as the Gateway flashing battery lite came on and then the computer died, good to know it really works. It made me decide to delete my Vista partition as unnecessary now with a fully functioning x86. The only drag is the lack of sleep, and the extra long shutdown time using the restart command (shut down gives black screen sometimes). No big deal really as my Mac pro at work sometimes doesn't want to shut down either. It's fast and I'm really enjoying this laptop!

Hi Im using a mx8734 which is very similar to the mx8738 which is what a couple of you seem to be using. The only thing I cannot get working are the wireless and the built in ethernet. I believe it uses the Intel Pro/100 VE. However the stuff ive tried has gotten me nowhere. Im also unsure of how to get the wifi working. It has the same realtek card the rest of you mx8738 people have. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Also I tried the 1.4.5 driver with ui 1.4.7 and have gotton a connection thats quickly dropped. I attempted to do the 1.5.0 ui but that wont even boot. Thanks

Hi Im using a mx8734 which is very similar to the mx8738 which is what a couple of you seem to be using. The only thing I cannot get working are the wireless and the built in ethernet. I believe it uses the Intel Pro/100 VE. However the stuff ive tried has gotten me nowhere. Im also unsure of how to get the wifi working. It has the same realtek card the rest of you mx8738 people have. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Also I tried the 1.4.5 driver with ui 1.4.7 and have gotton a connection thats quickly dropped. I attempted to do the 1.5.0 ui but that wont even boot. Thanks

I also have an mx8734 with the exact same problems. :blink:

Apparently the Realtek 8187 driver for Leopard won't be out until the end of February. I think that will solve our problem, but it sure would be nice to get the ethernet working in the mean time.

I think our laptop has an Intel Ekron 10/100 82562GZ inside. Does anyone know how to get that working? Every solution I've tried ends up in an OSX re-install.

im not sure exactly what you mean by that whole disconnecting thing, but i was able to get mostly everything working in 10.4.9. There is still the issue with wireless. After a couple tries it worked fine on an open network, but my WPA secured wifi in my room is connecting me enough for one page load then it seems to stop trying. Under the network settings everythings still green (which apparently means i still have an active connection) yet nothings working with it.

any input?

Not entirely what HP is saying...

I plugged in an HP-branded 802.11N mini-PCI card (from an NC6915) into an NC6400, and still got the wonderful "104" error at boot! ARGHH! Oddly enough, the NC6915 *did* accept the wireless card from the NC6400...

Regardless, HP has a *very* short list of supported wireless cards for their laptops!

If anyone knows about bios patches for the NC6400, please send me an email via InsanelyMac.com!! There are a number of bios editors, including some great bios editor toolkits, including the Phoenix Bios Editor Pro, but none support the HP business notebooks (I've downloaded the latest bios toolkit!) In the meantime, I'll check out the bios fix link...

Don't waste your time/money getting a different brand wireless card. I just purchased a Dell 1390 mini PCI-e w/ Broadcom chipset for my dv2000t. However, after plugging in the new card you are likely to get a '104 - unsupported wireless card' BIOS boot error, which is HP's way of saying 'buy our expensive cards'.

I've been trying to play with BIOS modifications, similar to http://www.richud.com/HP-Pavilion-104-Bios-Fix and http://www.paul.sladen.org/thinkpad-r31/wi...rd-pci-ids.html to make my 1390 work in dv2000t. However, it seems that this unit has a very different bios structure, so applying the same type of mod won't be easy. Also, you risk making your new dv2000t a nice 5lb brick.

gateway mt6840

sound works no input

graphics work intel 950 gma

wifi bought a dell 1390

upgraded ram from 1 gigabyte to 4 gigabytes

running 10.5.1

every thing is fine

battery life with leopard is 1 hour and 45 minutes, with wireless shut off and screen set to lowest brightness 2 hours

battery life with tiger is 3 hours and 04~05 minutes, with wireless shut off and screen set to lowest brightness around 3:30

heat is higher with leopard than tiger

leopard runs faster than vista

leopard load time 7 seconds

tiger load time 4 seconds

*load times start after darwine boot screen.

future upgrade intel core duo t 2700 or intel core 2 duo t 7200

• 2 weeks later...

If its of interest my HP DV1659us works under 10.5.2 as follows

Core 2 Centrino Duo - works

Sleep and wake and shutdown(Full sleep, no lights, just odd flash on button) - using power management bundle and Iatkos 1.05 ACPIplatform)

Full QE/CI

Trackpad (but not tapping slide/scroll)

USB

Wireless (swapped out 3945 for HPs Broadcomm equivalent) and added in Airport Extreme Update to get it to work - perfect

Fans cut in and out correctly. but not proper power management in the Speedstep sense- so battery life about an hour.

Sound works (but only output).

No PCMCIA or Card Reader. - But I don't use them

DVD R/W works

Ilife etc - all works when updated from Software Update

I was wondering if there was a better setup, but haven't seen one (apart from a Macbook Pro). They all have flaws so far.

hi,

I want to buy a cheap laptop and run Mac OSX Tiger or Leo on it.

I was searching at bestbuy and found 3 interestning computers:

Sony Vaio VGN-NR220E/S

Toshiba Satellite A205-S5804

Compaq Presariop C751NR

In my opinion Sony looks the best (atheros wifi card, x3100 intel graphic, pentium dual core and firewire), but what do you think?

Which Mac OS X should I use? Kalyway or iATKOS?

• 1 month later...

Install: 10.5 BrazilMac then updated 10.5.1 (Software update with Patcher)

Acer Aspire 4320

Sound - works - using AppleHDA patcher Taruga

Video (X3100) - works (QE/CI) - Internal & External

Wireless - works - after replacing Atheros Wireless with BCM4311 miniPCI Express Card.

Ethernet - No works

DVD/CD read/write - works

USB 2.0 - all works

Firewire - works

PowerManagement - works - Reboot and Power Off (No USB devices connected), no sleep

Time Machine - works

Card Reader - No works

Function keys - works

• 5 weeks later...
Have you already managed to resolve the audio issue? Did you already try the HDA/ALC883Audio.mpkg patches?

Most budget models of Acer (also Travelmate 2482/2483/2492/2493) seem to use the ALC883. Generally they look very interesting as a cheap Hackintosh laptop.

I am just interested to know if anyone has already managed to get the internal speakers working with the patches that have been released recently.

Regarding the paperclip method, I was under the impression that it is only required for the GMA900 and not the GMA950 - am I wrong? I would also disagree with the statement that the Radeon 9600 is the "only" properly working gfx chip. From what I read, the GMA950 is usually even less hassle to get working, sometimes not requiring *any* editing/patching.

Hi

When you install ALC883.mpkg, you need select a custom setup; then try one option at time, something like ALC883_6ports (this use to be functional), after the install and reboot complete, look for the state of audio output on system preference|souds. If you see the headphone device, yo can select it with mouse and put the output volume on whith the check box present at bottom screen. This tourn on the headfone and tourn off the internal speaker. If you want the opposite then turn off the headfone output volume and turn on the speaker output volume. Maybe you see more than one speaker's output device, but only one of this are functional; you need try one at time with the output volume control.

Good Look

• 2 weeks later...