• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

saturn

saturn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
my wife is selling her macbook since she hardly uses it... she wants it to be replaced with another mac, but I doubt there is anything cheaper/slower out there...

I was looking at the dell inspiron 1525... for around $300 you can get one used online. only downside I see is the intel wireless... can the cards be swapped out for a wireless card that is supported under OS X? or is a PCMCIA card the only alternative???

edit: was reading and apparently they use the Broadcom chip that is identical to the MacBooks... who was saying they use an Intel chip???

anyway... I'll be getting a 1525!!

voxelized

voxelized

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
LG P1 Express Dual works great now that there is a solution for the X1400 resolution issue.

Stock iDeneb (10.5.6) works except for the WiFi and built in ethernet.

hazard34sc

hazard34sc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Newbies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I just bought a 16.4" Sony Vaio VGN-FW510F/B. I was wondering if it is compatible with any of the premodded OSX installation discs? If so which one. I checked the OSx86 wiki for any info but there isn't any on this laptop.

Let me know thanks.

Specs:

Intel® Core™2 Duo mobile processor T6600
Features 2 processing cores, 800MHz frontside bus, 2MB L2 cache and 2.2GHz processor speed per core.

4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 memory

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support

16.4" LCD widescreen display
With 1600 x 900 resolution brings life to your movies and games.
500GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 graphics

Dedicated A/V buttons

Built-in MOTION EYE webcam

Multimedia card reader

i.LINK (IEEE 1394) port and 3 USB 2.0 ports

Built-in Intel® WiFi Link 5100AGN (802.11a/b/g/n)

Built-in 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T Gigabit fast Ethernet LAN

cnunez1987

cnunez1987

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Dell Latitude E6500 with nVIDIA Quadro NVS120M and Dell Wireless 1320 (Broadcom-based) works just fine with minimal post-installation tweaking. Installs with no issues.

smity_ap

smity_ap

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
HP pavilion dv3560ep

Touchpad works well with two finger scroll (ALPS)
Intel Core 2 Duo (2.26)
4GB ram
GeForce 9300 QE/CI works well (tested on WoW 512 mb)
Audio works well (mic, speaker, 2 output headphones)
Wi-Fi intell 5100 not working
Webcam Working well
Lan works
sleep,reboot,power off everything good

Leopard 10.5.8 Updating with software update from 10.5.7
No kernel panic, no problem with mounting

Sorry for my bad english)

P.S.

P.S.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Toshiba A305 S6862

Core2duo
500GB HD
4GB RAM

I used this laptop for about 8 months: Everything but wireless working near 100% (sometimes the audio ran away, specially after running Vist|XP ... a reboot fixed it; when changing video resolution on external monitor, it crashed sometimes... but no big deal for day to day use).

Detailed specs on Toshiba Site... mine was stolen, so i can't detail it.

PS

erehal

erehal

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey I'm new to all this Apple stuff. I have always been a PC kinda guy but I recently noticed all the pros in having a mac. I was thinking of buying this HP laptop and was wondering if this Mac OS X 86 thing would work 100% on it (or at least I would like to know what wouldn't work).

http://www.shopping.hp.com/series/category...n!269764707

These are the specs on my customised version:

Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Processor

4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 320M - For i7 Processors

15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768)

LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support

Webcam + Fingerprint Reader

Intel Wireless-N Card

eemerkacken

eemerkacken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Hey I'm new to all this Apple stuff. I have always been a PC kinda guy but I recently noticed all the pros in having a mac. I was thinking of buying this HP laptop and was wondering if this Mac OS X 86 thing would work 100% on it (or at least I would like to know what wouldn't work).

http://www.shopping.hp.com/series/category...n!269764707

These are the specs on my customised version:

Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Processor

4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 320M - For i7 Processors

15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768)

LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support

Webcam + Fingerprint Reader

Intel Wireless-N Card

It's easier to figure that out when apples launches their new Macbook Pro's, i read they'll probably use the i3-5-7 platform for those, so i suppose PC-Laptops with i3-5-7 will be easier to hackintosh.

erehal

erehal

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Oh ok thanks that helps a little. But would anybody have any idea if anything on that laptop would or would not work for sure? I think the Wi-Fi won't work but I am willing to go without out due to the fact I will be dual booting with Windows 7.

From what I have learned so far from being here for about 15 hours is that it mainly depends on the motherboard, proccessor and graphics card. If anyone knows if those things will be good for mac osx86 please reply. :)

Thanks!

Jo Man

Jo Man

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for a new laptop and want to run OSX on it.

I've been looking around and the new Dell Studio 15 looks good, I just don't know how Hackintoshable it is?

What do you guys think ?

CPU Intel i5-520M
Video ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4570
Wireless Dell 1520 Wireless-N Card
Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Internal

samsunlu55

samsunlu55

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
Packard Bell TJ 65 with Core2Duo T6600 2.2 GHZ and a Nvidia GT240!

Everything is working Perfect!

Only the Wlan Card Intel 5100!

Damn fast Notebook!

MiamiSteve

MiamiSteve

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello there! My current laptop I made into a hackintosh (Not everything works though [I didn't buy my current computer with the intention of running OSX on it... Just came across the OSx86 project one day and tried it and it worked to an extent])

Graphics support is non existant due to a Intel GMA 4500 and internal wifi is not working... Sound and just about everything else work!

However I am planning on getting a new laptop very soon (I'm sick of 1024x768 res and none of the hacks to get native resolution have worked for me, plus CI/QE would be nice)

I have tried searching but haven't come up with anything that puts my mind at ease.

Basically I'm trying to figure out what laptop I should buy with my price range being between $600 - $800 (+ $50 maybe $100 more than that)

Uncertainty is what I'm filled with... And lots of laptops online don't list all the specs like what motherboard they have, gfx, etc... Really frustrating.

I'm trying to avoid integrated graphics as well!

Can anyone please recommend a latop that has just about everything working (things I don't mind not working are: internal wifi [I have a USB wifi adapter + driver that works in OSX if I need it], and sleep)

It absolutely must have hardware accelerated graphics support, and sound! Are my two biggest needs!

It seems like buying a computer with OSX in mind and not have the same chance of OSX working on it or not! Is it just a gamble whether it will work or not?

Someone help me take the gamble out of my purchase! :(

I want to be certain it will work!

kmisterk

kmisterk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Macs, PC's, Android, Technology in general.
I got itakos v7 successfully installed, where as I could browse and use the OS.

BUT

Wifi/Ethernet wasn't found
Keyboard didn't work
For some reason, I couldn't access Admin Rights
Resolution was stuck at 1280x1024

PC Specs
AMD Turion 64x2 2.1 gHz
ATI HD Radeon 3200
Atheros AR5b93 Wifi
Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet

Not sure what i need to do, but I seriously want to figure this out so I can get it up and running. I HATE WINDOWS, but the monopoly they have created, as well as the locked nature that OSX has developed over the years makes it so hard to really have what I want.

Don't say linux, either, cause I've tried it, Love it, But there still are just so many incompatibilities for it to be really worth switching permanently.

any bit helps !
Kyle

g4sho

g4sho

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
Typing this on my Hp Dv8t 18.4 inch 1080p beauty. Running Hazard 10.6.2 distro. Core i7, 6gig ram, two 320 gig hard drives, nVidia gt230m(qe/ci fully functional), BluRay rom/Dvd-rw drive. All usb ports, esata, trackpad,keyboard,sleep,sound and touch sensitive volume control work. Ethernet built in works. Have not tested hdmi out, or card readers. Wireless intel n card does not work, but my belken fd6 4050 usb N card is working. For the money I paid for this(half the price of a base 17inch mac book pro) with overnight shipping, I am VERY happy with the results.
;)

Guest: BuxB_*

Guest: BuxB_*
  • Guests
thank you g4sho for your report. WiFI: exchange with e.g. HP500 - BCM94312MCG from http://www.getpartsonline.com. But anybody interested please beware read this review from y-day 2010-04-01:

http://www.amazon.co...erBy=addOneStar

For anybody interested in a 18.4" HackbookPro, the HP HDX18 might be an alternative.

g4sho

g4sho

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

thank you g4sho for your report. WiFI: exchange with e.g. HP500 - BCM94312MCG from http://www.getpartsonline.com. But anybody interested please beware read this review from y-day 2010-04-01:

http://www.amazon.co...erBy=addOneStar

For anybody interested in a 18.4" HackbookPro, the HP HDX18 might be an alternative.

That person had some bad luck, it happens. But If you really want to get a lot more data(one review just isn't enough in my opinion), check out www.notebookreview.com, look in discussions . There you will find 1000's of owners of the different laptops available, and the ups and downs of ownership for each of the different models.
c

scottwhitty

scottwhitty

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey people..i need some advice. I have a inspiron 6400, and was wondering if anyone is interested in creating me a disc image??

LISTEN - this is not piracy because I will send you the install DVD. Keep the bloody thing. I'll buy another! lol

I have tried several times to get things to install, with no go. I NEED to run 10.6.X becaus my accounting software needs atleast 10.5.7

I was hoping someone could help me get this going. I like most can't afford the real thing.

Anyone who has a inspiron 6400 with GMA 950, and wants to help and make a few dollars for your efforts, let me know ASAP

thanks guys!!!!

Scott - scott@lagunapools.ca

ChiefGeek1

ChiefGeek1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
My acer aspire 8730 laptop has a spare HD bay, anyone know if Snow Leopard will run on it?

manoooze

manoooze

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,
I'm French & this is my own experience with my HP Compaq laptop.

With a genuine broadcom B,G,N wireless card fits inside ,in replacement of the original Atheros adapter (A genuine HP, it's very important, because the others are blacklisted in the Insyde's bios ! ), my Compaq CQ70-118EF works fine with Snow Leopard 10.6.3 retail & myHack bootloader on a SD card.
After a big mistake with an Acer equipped with Intel GMA 4500 HD ( I had to sold it only after 2 weeks...hum), which doesn't support quartz extreme video acceleration, I bought my COMPAQ CQ70-118EF.
It was the best laptop -with a lower price- that I've found on the French stores.
It comes with built-in nVidia 9200m 3D graphics card, and everything is functional excepts HDMI out & deep sleep.
I can do software update, everything is ok.
For a long time mic input wasn't functional, but after the install of VooDooHDA.kext & HDAenabler.prefpane , the sound card was able to work out of the box.
The first big mod I've made was changing the COMPAQ logo on computer start ; I used Insyde's bios tools in order to decompile the HP F52a bios. I change the compaq logo with an apple logo,flash with my moded bios with Insyde bios flash tools on win7, and now I have a beautiful apple when I start my Macbo.. Pro-hum sorry- my HackBook Pro B)

Recently, I change my processor ( a 2.0GHz Pentium Dual Core T3200 ) with a Core 2 Duo P8600 2,4 Ghz, because I saw on the CQ70 Maintenance guide that the motherboard were all the same on all the HP/Compaq CQ70-HP G70 series...AND IT WORKS GREAT !!! :D
At the end, and not the least, I remove the DVD Writer and I...soldered :moil: ( yes...! ) an 4 wires SATA connector on the motherboard, in order to put a 64 GB SSD for Mac OS X and my home folder + a second HDD ( in fact the original one SAMSUNG 250 GB )

It was the most important change in terms of speed :superman: .

SSD are unbelievable in a laptop ! It's like driving a city car & just after a Porsche, really !

Nice day from France & good work with Mac OS X ,

Jérôme alias Manoooze.

Attached Files

Marcus Aurelius

Marcus Aurelius

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I can't find any listings of fully compatible/or almost compatible laptops. Does anyone know where to find such listings so i can buy my new hackingtosh?
EDIT:
thought i found something here http://wiki.osx86pro...0.6.2/Portables

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy