Boot time of your Hackintosh?

nachdenki

22 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was wondering if the boot time of my hackintosh is normal/slow/fast/whatever. So I'm starting this thread where everyone can post their boot times.

If you post, please tell us what PC you use (desktop/laptop, cpu, ram), how long your bios' POST (so everything from "power button" until your boot manager appears) takes and how long the actual boot of SL (so from "apple on grey screen" to "I see the dock" - it doesn't matter if all your startup apps are running, when you see the dock you're done) takes.

I'll start of to make a good example :-)

PC: Desktop PC, Core2Duo 3.17Ghz, 4GB 800mhz DDR2 RAM

BIOS POST takes 25 seconds

SL Boot takes about 30-35 seconds (varies a little)

Your turn :-)

XPS 410 (ICHR8) takes similarly like 30 seconds to get past its AHCI screen + 35 secs to boot up to OSX

XPS 420 (ICHR9) flies past the AHCI in 3 seconds and boots in 20 seconds. (Software RAID)

XPS 410 / 420

Proc: Q6600 2.4Ghz

RAM: 3GB / 8GB

VID: 9500GT / 8800GTX

AUD: Sigmatel

core 2 duo e8400@3.8 FSB 1600Mhz

4gb OCZ Reaper 1150Mhz DDR2 4-4-4-12

ep35-DS3R

Ati Radeon 4870 512mb

Custom DSDT.aml

10 seconds after spinning apple screen

core 2 duo e6600@3.2 FSB 1600Mhz

2gb Corsair xms2 800Mhz DDR2 4-4-4-12

ep43-ud3L

Nvidia 8800gt 512mb

Custom DSDT.aml

same, 10 seconds after spinning apple screen

takes me around 10-15 seconds to get to chameleon screen though. All due to AHCI I guess. I am new to this so I have not deleted any kexts. I suppose deleting unneeded kexts will speed up boot time. Any of you know which kexts can be deleted?

core 2 duo e8400@3.8 FSB 1600Mhz

4gb OCZ Reaper 1150Mhz DDR2 4-4-4-12

ep35-DS3R

Ati Radeon 4870 512mb

Custom DSDT.aml

10 seconds after spinning apple screen

core 2 duo e6600@3.2 FSB 1600Mhz

2gb Corsair xms2 800Mhz DDR2 4-4-4-12

ep43-ud3L

Nvidia 8800gt 512mb

Custom DSDT.aml

same, 10 seconds after spinning apple screen

takes me around 10-15 seconds to get to chameleon screen though. All due to AHCI I guess. I am new to this so I have not deleted any kexts. I suppose deleting unneeded kexts will speed up boot time. Any of you know which kexts can be deleted?

guess I have to get into DSDT editing, 10 seconds is awesome ;):D

Not sure about the kexts ... I suppose the system only loads the ones it needs anyway, so it probably doesn't matter.

Well, I search for both the ep35-ds3r and ep43-ud3l. Both had semi-install guides. I do not know how to patch dsdt.aml either. Luckily there were one provided for each board. I will try to learn how to patch the dsdt due to me having 889a on the ep35. But, if the legacy kext works for it, I will more than likely leave it alone. I just install Snow on these this weekend. So I don't know too much.

Well, I search for both the ep35-ds3r and ep43-ud3l. Both had semi-install guides. I do not know how to patch dsdt.aml either. Luckily there were one provided for each board. I will try to learn how to patch the dsdt due to me having 889a on the ep35. But, if the legacy kext works for it, I will more than likely leave it alone. I just install Snow on these this weekend. So I don't know too much.

in that case, 10 seconds seems pretty insane to me. on the other hand, my SL was booting up pretty fast when it was fresh too ... doesn't do it anymore though, it kinda bothers me

nah, no tweaking or tuning. overclocked quadcore with a fast hdd. i'm sure it would load even faster if i was using the SSD to boot. i load up windows 7 in 12s after post.

HDD is the bottleneck for me now. =\

gfx.jpg

5 revs (spinner below Apple logo) – P5K PRO with Intel Q9300 at stock speed (2.5GHz).

Tips:

1) Strip you DSDT to a bare minimum (mine is 2480 bytes, I only load /Extra/ACPI/ssdt.aml these days).

2) Do not set / change device-properties in dsdt.dsl but use smbios.plist or com.apple.Boot.plist instead (which is much faster).

3) Removing unused kexts is good for ±500ms only, but up to 5 seconds when you boot from USB stick.

4) Audio can be a dog (disable it in your BIOS to see what I mean).

5) I switched to using AC97 instead of HDEF in my BIOS (no more warnings and everything works).

6) Also disable your on-board LAN to see how long that takes.

7) SSD drives are a lot faster and speed up the boot process (with SSD drives I only have 2/3 revs).

8) I disabled all but the boot drive in my BIOS (ACPI Port[2-6] disabled) to speed up the BIOS post initialization.

p.s. You can use a nice Apple logo instead of the factory default one, and this will hide all post messages (but one on my board).

Additional info can be found here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...howtopic=188920

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=192518

15 seconds from Chameleon or about 10 seconds from the spinning disk.

Instantaneous shut down / sleep and wake up.

No errors in the logs - hand crafted DSDT and only two kexts.

It took approximately 50 seconds from Start to Finish. But shut down is quick, only about 3 seconds

• 5 months later...

Hi i have Leopard 10.5.8 on a toshiba satelite L40-17T evrything works perfetct execpt that it take very long to start (about 5-10 min) any solution to this problem please :blink:. It might help if i say that its first apple loading screen for like 1-2 min and then blue screen the rest?

• 2 years later...

I have the boot rom enabled for the ASMedia SATA3 ports (ASRock H77 Pro4-M) so power button to Chameleon takes approximately 10-seconds including ASMedia port scan.

Once the Apple boot screen pops up the spinner goes around (7) times and I am at the desktop..

=)