Conky System Monitor

domino

11 posts in this topic

Here's something thing you guys might be interested in. It's called conky. It's basically a very light system monitor that stays on your desktop. It has a few caveats under gnome due to how Gnome redraws the desktop, but it's manageable when you add Load "dbe" in your "Module" of the xorg.conf file. If you want it to run at login, just add "conky" to your sessions startup programs. Interested persons should read the dev site's man pages, particularly the config file settings section.

Site: http://conky.sourceforge.net/

Edited config file. Not the best colors, but oh well :D

17ba1.th.jpg

[K]Ubuntu Dapper/Breezy users can just install the precompiled version:

conky_1.4.2_0ubuntu1_i386.zip

hehe, I bet you can boot your Linux box in less than 8 seconds running fluxbox.. Talk about light weight! oh, doesn't conky works perfectly with fluxbox don't it? I just hate the way it works with gnome and kde, although I could get used to it though.

yeah :D works very nice. you can modify the conky conf and change the layout it's all very easy(there r a lot of scripts around).

kde/gnome are easier to use at first but then you have a box full of unused things

with fluxbox or other light WMs you can build your desktop from scratch and get only what you need(i.e. i have rox to explore the filesystem and that's it... ohh and conky :D)

in addition you can place icons on the desktop using fbdesk

after a bit of tweaks you can have light++useful, but still cute desktop