PACE iLok not working 10.6.2

grc

5 posts in this topic

Firstly, bit of history.

I was running an iMac G5 with Logic Studio and several Antares Audio plugins authenticated by PACE iLok under 10.5. The iMac expired due to capacitor failure so I switched to a Mac Mini, but I never ran my Logic on it. Too chuggy.

At the time, Leopard, I built a hackintosh with iAtkos 5i, and I used Logic and my iLok and plugins with that no problem. That iAtkos machine expired (perils of cheap PSU, took out mobo and HDs) and I forgot about Logic for a while, doing other things.

I migrated my Mini up to Snow Leopard, and now I have more Logic projects to do so I built a new Hackintosh using Snow Leopard. It's on an ASUS P5KPL-AM board, 4GB RAM, 8500GT 256 MB. It runs Logic really well. I have the whole thing running from an Apple RAID 1. Good stuff. It's really stable and I've thrown the kitchen sink at it.

EXCEPT, the iLok doesn't work. It works if you go to ilok.com, in that the web site can query the iLok device and report what's on it, do a synch etc. Problem is, Logic, Garageband or whatever won't authorise the audio plugins.

I tried the latest downloads of the audio plugins with my iLok on my Mini on 10.6.2 and they authorise on there correctly so it must be something about the hack build that's stopping the PACE iLok from working.

When this last worked on a Hackintosh for me with iAtkos 5i 10.5.6, it was an older PACE iLok kernel extension which I can no longer use as the plugins force a new version of PACE iLok kernel extension on you.

Can anyone suggest what it is about the hackintosh build that's stopping my iLok from working? I know I'm not supposed to treat an OSX86 as a Mac substitue, and I know I have a significant investment in audio software, but still, I can't afford a new mac fast enough to run Logic again right now and I'm only a hobbyist user, despite my use of pro audio software.

Sorry for the long post, and any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers folks.

Can anyone suggest what it is about the hackintosh build that's stopping my iLok from working? I know I'm not supposed to treat an OSX86 as a Mac substitue, and I know I have a significant investment in audio software, but still, I can't afford a new mac fast enough to run Logic again right now and I'm only a hobbyist user, despite my use of pro audio software.

UPDATE:

I installed iAtkos 5i again on a spare drive, with 10.5.5

The plugin verification worked with the iLok using the latest PACE iLok kernel driver package. This contains Leo and Snow kernel modules.

So it's something to do with the 10.6 build - either that or PACE have built extra checks into their 10.6 driver.

Can someone suggest which of these differences might be most likely to be causing my problem, and what to do about it:

bootloader: 10.6.2, Chameleon, 10.5.5, PC-EFI

That's a big change right there. Can I boot Snow with PC-EFI ? Not sure.

Possibly something in the smbios ? Or DSDT ?

A totally wild-eyed-guess is that the kernel module for PACE is detecting something it doesn't like in the kernel space of the 10.6.2 build and refusing to authenticate the plugins. A decrypter or disabler or something.

Once again, appreciate any help.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...