Mac OSX and VMWare

35 posts in this topic

I have to have VMWare Player installed on my laptop for an advanced server class in my college. Since I have to have it installed for atleast 3 months I figured I might as well get my use out of it. Im running Win7 Pro x64 as my main OS. Im not dual booting anything.

Ive got Windows Server 03 as well as Fedora Core 12 as 2 of my VMWare images. Id like to toss OSX Leopard into the mix and learn that as well. Any idea on where I can go to get what I need?

I have to have VMWare Player installed on my laptop for an advanced server class in my college. Since I have to have it installed for atleast 3 months I figured I might as well get my use out of it. Im running Win7 Pro x64 as my main OS. Im not dual booting anything.

Ive got Windows Server 03 as well as Fedora Core 12 as 2 of my VMWare images. Id like to toss OSX Leopard into the mix and learn that as well. Any idea on where I can go to get what I need?

OK, the link below is to how to get Leopard or Snow Leopard to work under VMware Workstation or Player.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1186508

However before you go look, a couple of things, ideally you will need VNware Player 3, as this is required to support Snow Leopard, also your laptop needs to have an intel processor that supports VT-x, i.e. Virtualisation, and finally you need a retail copy of OS X, either Leopard or Snow Leopard.

If eany of these are not the case, then you will need one of Zenith432's topcis for either SnowKitty or Leopard, as these do not have the same restrictions as the topic link above and Donk's excellent work based on the vanilla OS X kernel. Zenith432's topics do not use the Vanilla kernel, and therfore can be made to work on AMD processors and processors without virtualisation.

Good luck!

Im using the latest VMWare Player. Its v3. Ive got all this on my laptop which has a Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5GHz CPU. Not sure if it offers what I need or not as far as VT goes. I also dont have a copy of Snow Leopard around.

OK,

As far as I can see your processor can run VT-x, see link below, but you will have to go in to your BIOS settings and enable it, some laptop manufacturers do disable this function, but hopefully not in your case.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLAQG

In terms of getting hold of a retail copy of Leopard or Snow Leopard, then go to apple and buy it online, cost about £20.00 UK or $30.00 US, a good investment, as it will save you a whole lot of grief in getting OS X to run under VMware Player 3.

Do not be tempted with torrent or other so called "retail" copies on the web either go to an Apple store, or Apple online and spend the money. I promise it will be worth the investment.

Once you are ready use Donk's topic as detailed in my last post, or give us a shout, plenty of us have been in your position and with help are now the proud owners of OS X runnig well under VMware Workstation 7 or Player 3.

See you soon!

Asus M50SV-A1 laptop. Its about 2-3 years old now.

I am running Win7 Pro x64 as my main OS. Not sure if the x86 or x64 platform affects anything.

From a previous response from Donk the host OS is not important as VM takes to the hardware direct and if the CPU is VT-x and 64-bit can install either a 32-bit or 64-bit guestOS.

An initial trawl of the web, Google and the Asus websites does not give any BISO settings for VT-x, will have a deeper look, but based on your securable results, give the install a go, unless Donk turns something up. Unless you want to wait, hopefully a short while as Donk and I are working on a new manual / tutorial for OS X Snow Leopard under VM Workstation 7, and be an early guinea pig, I mean Beta tester!

Id be a guinea pig. I dont mind.

Im having issues using the cmd prompt to install. Nothing comes up. Says I have entered an invalid command.

I assume you are trying to install the darwin VM tools into Player 3. Have you unzipped the darwin-200 zip to a directory and updated the darwin.iso from the wks7 zip. If so go to a CMD prompt and in the DOS window change into the directory you created for the VM Darwin tools and run the the "setup.cmd install" from there, you should see the VMware ISO Signature Creator 2.0.0 and then various files copied including 6 .iso.sig files.

Hopefully this will let you progress, sorry if I have misread your request.

Nope. Not really sure how to update it. Do I just copy the files into the directory I unzip?

OK, Lets start at the beginning where are you in the installation process based on Donk's Manual link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1186508

When we know where you are we can guide you through the next step, or diiagnose any issues.

Speak soon.

Just in case you forgot about me.

Sorry, WhiteDragon, no we had not forgotten about you, I think from your replies you need some hand holding, i.e. the new tutorial which is a step by step guide with screenshots. If you can hang on I have done all the prep work just need to bolt it together, run it by Donk and Zenith432 and then you can be the "Guinea Pig", if that is OK with you.

In preparation, need to confirm the following:

1: Your PC/Laptop is VT-x capable and enabled in BIOS

2: You have a Retail DVD of Snow Leopard or Leopard

3: You are running VM Workstation 7 or Player 3

So not too long now, keep an eye on this topic and Donk's topic:

VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

Ive provided my securable screen shot above. According to that I have VX-t enabled, but I dont see an option for it in the BIOS.

I have VMWare Player 3. I have to have it for my advanced windows server 2003 class.

I dont have a Snow Leopard disc. I thought with one of the installations we didnt need it.

Ive provided my securable screen shot above. According to that I have VX-t enabled, but I dont see an option for it in the BIOS.

I have VMWare Player 3. I have to have it for my advanced windows server 2003 class.

I dont have a Snow Leopard disc. I thought with one of the installations we didnt need it.

Do you have a retail copy of Leopard or Snow Leopard? If not then you will need to get one if you want to follow the way we do it.

Niether yet. My wifes dad has a Snow Leopard disc he got for going back to school for IT that hes not using. Issue is that hes 3 hours away and we rarely talk to him. Last time I talked to him he said I could have it at Christmas time, but havent heard anything from him since then.

• 3 weeks later...
Ok Ive got the disc. I created a .iso image of it on my external HD. Lets get this thing installed.

Whitedragon, good, I have a new installation tutorial, just need to clean it up get it signed off by Donk, and you can be the first to try it! Keep an eye on this link will let you know when we are sorted and a link to pick up the tutorial.

Speak very soon. MSoK!

I snagged the MAC OS X Leopard 10.5.5 VMware Image made by Xelabo. I have since changed from VMWare Player to Workstation v7 (latest build). I get the loading screen with the grey background and the apple, but thats as far as it goes.

EDIT- Nevermind I got it working. I changed the virtualizing engine in VMWare Workstation and its all good.