OSx86 review

26 posts in this topic

well, good hardware purchases and planning will give you an experience indistinguishable from a real mac.

but other than that, i think reviews like yours, ground people in the general reality of the situation, and prepare the average dabbler for what they might expect.

so i'd say, your review is a service to the public. :poster_oops:

I totally agree with the review!

I love to try new OS and software and for me OSx86 was a great oportunity to test how a Mac works. I really liked the MacOS and I've also thinked about buying a real Mac.

To get a fully working machine with hacked MacOS you need to spend lots of time reading information and searching for patches or doing weird things to the system to make devices work. This is totally the oposite of Mac philosophy.

Now I keep doing my work on WinXP that for me is very realiable, not as nice, but fast and reliable. I play sometimes with MacOSx86 or use it for testing some Mac apps and after testing the Vista beta and Office 2007, that are real nice too, I things that great things will come to the PC World in 2007. My experience after trying this is that I don't miss a thing from MacOS X. Well... Automator was nice. I think Microsoft should copy it too! :)

Next year Apple will have to do a hard work. For less the price of an average Mac you will buy a monster Dual Core PC with Vista, lots of RAM and a power graphics card.

Being completely new to OS X and osx86, I decided to try it out during the weekend. After going through alot of trys I finnaly got it to work. OS X for me works pretty good. Its fast as XP, it crashes alot less, and I have fallen in love with alot of the features in OS X. Through, there are issues, like with the mouse pointer, its not that noticable. PPC apps run, but they slow down the pc noticabilly. To me OSX86 could be a decent replacement for a real mac, if the hardware is chosen with consideration. Currently OSX86 is my main opperating system, and I plan to keep it that way for sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

OSx86 does run well for most basic apps, but in no way is it a replacement for a real Mac.

Hackintoshes are explictly replacements for real Macs. While there are certainly many cases where it will be better to go with a real Mac, the opposite is also true.

Yes bofors is right, you review (no offense to you) is wrong. The hackintoshes are replacements. If you get the right hardware, then everythign works, perfectly. Macs are just pcs with pretty cases. I got everything but my video working perfectly and tomorrow I order my X1600 and after that, well my hackintosh is 100% working. I can do whatever a Mac users can do right now (without opengl). When the X1600 goes in the box, I can do all an iMac or Macbook Pro user can. Not trying to be an ass, but your review is flawed. Hacktintoshes, good hackintoshes with correct hardware, are Mac replacements.

I disagree, Hackintosh might be a replacement for a real mac if a user could automatically update. And sure you can build a PC that works exactly like a mac, but when was the last time you built a mac? One of the benefits of the mac, IMHO, is that it works without any messing around. As much as I hate to spew marketing speach "It just works."

Dude, the Intel Macs have ONE piece of hardware in them that is custom: their EFI chip that lets OSX run on them. The motherboard, intel chip, ram, harddrives, optical drivers, video cards, sound cards, usb controller, firewire controllers, ethernet, and wireless can but put in a hackintosh. Updates? Uh I would agree with you if I was a Windows XP pirate due to windows needing the updates. Mac updates are not that essential unless there is something that you need. I plan to stay with 10.4.6. Also the update arguement is a mute point. Jas quickly put the 10.4.7 update out, so no big deal. Put a Mac or Hackintosh behind a firewall, I don't see the needs for updates. OSX isn't Windows and needs constant updates.

One of the benefits of the mac, IMHO, is that it works without any messing around. As much as I hate to spew marketing speach "It just works."

Like stated, put the CORRECT hardware in the Hackintosh all you have to wait for the patches. You can run software just fine and have the same experience as an Intel Mac owner. Just my opinions, not trying to bash you.

Don't worry about bashing me, I can take it! We're both here for discussion and learning right? as long as you leave my mother out of this, we'll be fine :D

What about the updates when you really, really need them? Did you use the first release of Tiger? it was very buggy, I had no end of problems to start with. And you may recall a few months back all the fuss about security holes in osx, they were fixed with an update. And what about the future? What about leopard compatibility? With a hackintosh there are no guarantees...

Don't get me wrong, I think OSX X86 is wonderful, I can't wait to build my own system from scratch.

I liked the article by the way..

In my opinion OS X 86 is what you want it to be. It can be a primary system if you configure the correct hardware, but most people will find things such as the lack of updates grating. I dont think anyone can argue - the real thing is better in most cases.

I'm happy with OSX86.

I've spent around 250€ for my Hackintosh which is 100% compatible and I'm using it now as my main operating system.

Who cares about the updates, OSX is one of the most reliable and secure operating system I've ever used.

Apart from the first releases, now the 10.4.5 - 10.4.6 are perfect.

And it runs at light speed.

With a Celeron D.

OSX86 is great but I'm glad it gets bad reviews. Those who would be scared away by such should not mess with it- I have never had to do more difficult hacking in my entire life (and I have converted over 20 people to Linux). Its worth it though.

Thats a very good point, I too am pleased by the way that if you want it you have to really work for it.

you can now digg it! :)

Hmmm, well for $300 I have a system that is on par with a Dual G5, or MB and run QE etc.

I can run Final Cut, Logic, Motion, iWORK, iLIFE, Pro-Tools, Digital Performer, SATA 300 drives (boots in 13 seconds), have 2 HD's, can add two more 300MB SATA drives, runs widgets fine and with the exception of OS updates ie. 10.4.6 to .7, all the updates work perfect. For not much money.

You have to have some tech savvy and time - it's not hard but it's not plug n play, but once you learn #root, terminal, Preferences, library, commands, it not only makes the system stable, it makes you a better mac user when you buy a real mac. I think I will get a mac in time, but only when the bang for the buck makes sense, in other words, when the desktops come out if they are $2500 for duo core 2 and GPU, if I can build it for less, probably 1/6th the price, then overclock, it sounds like OSX86 is here to stay, even if that means using 10.4.

You have to have some tech savvy and time - it's not hard but it's not plug n play, but once you learn #root, terminal, Preferences, library, commands, it not only makes the system stable, it makes you a better mac user when you buy a real mac. I think I will get a mac in time, but only when the bang for the buck makes sense, in other words, when the desktops come out if they are $2500 for duo core 2 and GPU, if I can build it for less, probably 1/6th the price, then overclock, it sounds like OSX86 is here to stay, even if that means using 10.4.

Im sure there is a decent portion of this community that are 'mac lovers' at heart but just cant afford to fork out for one. This provides a decent bridge, as you say. But it is definately not a direct substitute for the real thing.

Im sure there is a decent portion of this community that are 'mac lovers' at heart but just cant afford to fork out for one. This provides a decent bridge, as you say. But it is definately not a direct substitute for the real thing.

AGREED!

But, Apple is still a bit overpriced and the hardware superiority no longer is true.

In addition, Apple had better get used to releasing updates, price slashes,etc as Intel is no IBM! LOL!

Right now as it stands the MBP was trumped by the MB and there is no way you can justify $2700 for a MBP, none what-so-ever. The best price to performance ratio was the student discount for the iMAC but guess what, they removed the ATI GPU, geeeee, imagine that. Once again Apple raping the end user.

Mac OSX 86 is here to stay. As mentioned, if the new desktops can be built and overclocked Hurrah Hurrah, also, when the desktops come out this means move driver support. I expect at first it might be a tad bit difficult but as more PC users get involved, (WHICH IS HUGE and VISTA delay helps this cause) the more programming, hackers, developers we will see and I think the desktops will be more MAC like than any existing setup right now as everything depended on the laptop and mac mini parts whereas the desktops will require 3rd party BINARY drivers.

So, the ball is in Apples court. They could not get the speed they wanted therefore I do not think they will be able to price gouge the way they had in the past, especially with new CPU's released almost every 3 months.

They have no choice but to change with the times which makes it good for all of us.

OSX86 in and of itself could help drive down the price of MACS let alone be the sole reason for the OS someday being released, this is especially so since Microsoft is also looking into EFI.

peace

Right now as it stands the MBP was trumped by the MB and there is no way you can justify $2700 for a MBP.

Slightly off topic:

The MB versus MBP debate is an interesting one. I personally think that Apple is playing a very clever marketing game with the consumer. The ‘top of the range’ MBP is never on the throne for long. They originally released the 15” model – lots of sales.

They then release the 17” – people who wanted top of the range have now got to settle for second best (and people spending that much money on a laptop never like to) or sell and buy the 17”. Obviously the people who do that are in the minority, but for companies etc. it is a bigger possibility.

They then release the MB that because of its performance compared to the current MBP looks incredible value for money.

So now MBP users are thinking – hang on I payed a lot of money for that performance. So what do Apple release – a new MBP with a Core2 Duo?? – it would certainly restore the MBP to MB balance.

Now I am not suggesting that everyone keeps selling and buying, but the way they release these laptops – they keep outdoing themselves and therefore generate sales for each one. Obviously all computer manufacturers do this to some extent but Apple seems to do this very well.

• 3 months later...

my answer :

test on Xbench :

mac pro Xeon core2duo 3ghz ( 3500€ ): 199 points

imac core2duo 2ghz (1379€) : 125 points

my hackintoch PC ( intel core 2duoEE6600 GA965p-dq6 2GBDDR2 800 PC5400 MSI7600GS) 1200€ : 158.6 points

i use my hackintoch for music production & it s rock solid

i managed to get it fully working in about 1 week of install so for me it worth the work on it !!!

This review is a {censored} for me :)