Windows + VirtualBox = MAC OS

886 posts in this topic

I am using this version of EFI - empireEFIv1085

There are a lot of different Empire EFI v1.085 "flavours" for different types of CPUs/Chipsets.

Head on to the Empire EFI v.1.085 R2 download page. At the bottom of the page (just before the comments section) you will find six download links for various builds of Empire EFI. Almost each of the archives contain two ISO images, "normal" and "legacy" one. The general rule of thumb is to stick with the "normal" version, if it work for you, and only give "legacy" version a try in case boot fails with the "normal" one.

Oh, thanks for pointing into it. I had used to the fact that it is required to switch the SATA controller to the AHCI mode in BIOS in order to successfully install OS X on regular PC. That's why I had used SATA controller in the vbox VM. Now, looking into the pictures in your guide once again I had finally noticed that you've got both virtual HDD and DVD attached to the regular IDE ICH6 controller. That's definitely makes a difference. As for vbox EFI vs. SATA HDD - it is a bug in vbox EFI implementation for sure, so I had filled a bug report to the Oracle's Virtual Box public bug tracker. In any case, as it is impossible in virtual box to change CPUID reported inside the guest, it is still required to change the kernel and patch the software to be able to boot and use Mac OS X on the AMD-based host. So I had taken a Chameleon 2 RC4 approach for now, leaving vbox EFI support turned off.

And again, thank you very much for your discoveries concerning ICH6. I think that it would be great to update your guide with a large bold reminder for users to attach both HDD and DVD to the ICH6 IDE instead of the SATA AHCI.

LeXa2,

It is good to hear that your problem is solved. Frankly speaking, I have also got a feeling that I did not stressed much on the ICH6 settings when duble-check your settings against mine (I have done that for the guide for VB3.1.4). This is why I ask you to double-check yours.

My guide has been updated accordingly.

Also, could my graphics card be a problem?

It's an ATI Radeon, not an N-Vidia card.

Do I edit the XML file after I create my hard drive?

Can I use an extendable hard drive or does it have to be fixed?

So to confirm? I skip the bootloader step and just get it to straight away read my SL DVD?

I aslo think that your ATI card is not the root cause of the problem. I am using ATI card also.

You can also try mrjazzguit's suggestion, as that solve his problem.

-You should modify the XML file after creating the VM and the hard drive. But make sure VB is completed closed before editing the xml file.

- Both Extendable and fixed-size hard drive should work fine. (At least I have never heard people complaining on this.)

- In mrjazzguit's suggestion, it is true that you don't boot up via using EmpireEFI, and boot up directly by using SL DVD (I haven't tried that).

Also, could my graphics card be a problem?

It's an ATI Radeon, not an N-Vidia card.

Don't think so as Virtual Box creates an emulated video card, which is what the guest OS will use.

Do I edit the XML file after I create my hard drive?

Create the virtual machine and the blank hard drive image, exit Virtual Box, edit the XML file, then restart Virtual Box and begin installation with the retail SL DVD.

Can I use an extendable hard drive or does it have to be fixed?

Either should work. I used an extendable drive.

So to confirm? I skip the bootloader step and just get it to straight away read my SL DVD?

Yes.

Regarding the possible CPUID mismatch: My CPU here is Intel Core2 Quad Q6700, so I guess a mismatch is a possibility. I will have access to a new i7 laptop next week to test the same procedure with retail SL 10.6.0.

I just had been testing various Empire EFI 1.085 [R2] versions against VirtualBOX on my host (AMD Phenom II X4 810 CPU, the rest doesn't matter in case of virtualization) and discovered one very-very-very important thing: in case you always get kernel panics or entirely blank screen when trying to boot with Empire EFI make sure that the number of processors for the guest is set to one. I had discovered that this setting is very important when faced a "strange" fact when Empire EFI 1.085 R2 for AMD/i3M/i5M that was booting normally this morning suddenly started to emit kernel panic with "division error" exception. The only change I've done to the VM was the number of CPU cores provided to guest set to 2. After changing it back to one I was able to boot Empire EFI normally again without any kernel panics.

I just had been testing various Empire EFI 1.085 [R2] versions against VirtualBOX on my host (AMD Phenom II X4 810 CPU, the rest doesn't matter in case of virtualization) and discovered one very-very-very important thing: in case you always get kernel panics or entirely blank screen when trying to boot with Empire EFI make sure that the number of processors for the guest is set to one. I had discovered that this setting is very important when faced a "strange" fact when Empire EFI 1.085 R2 for AMD/i3M/i5M that was booting normally this morning suddenly started to emit kernel panic with "division error" exception. The only change I've done to the VM was the number of CPU cores provided to guest set to 2. After changing it back to one I was able to boot Empire EFI normally again without any kernel panics.

We are limited to use only 1 CPU to run SL when we are using VB3.1.6. I thought this was 'fixed'.enahnced in VB3.2. But from what you have tested, multiple CPUs can only used for certain brand.. and AMD Phenom II X4 is not one of them.

Ok, small update.

The problem was the EFI. I downloaded a new one that worked with Intel I3 processors and I have managed to get OSX loaded.

However, it gets right through to the end of the installation and then I am presented with this message...

osxproblem.jpg

Does any one have any ideas? I feel so close to getting this working!

Ok, small update.

The problem was the EFI. I downloaded a new one that worked with Intel I3 processors and I have managed to get OSX loaded.

However, it gets right through to the end of the installation and then I am presented with this message...

osxproblem.jpg

OK, you mentioned that " it gets right through to the end of the installation ", so I presume installation is "completed". What can you see if you shut down, then restart your VM with EmpireEFI mounted? Can you see both EmpireEFI DVD and your SL VM harddisk appear in the Empire Boot loader screen?

If you can see your SL hard disk, what can you see if you try to boot from it?

Besides, just to double-confirm, are you installing your SL EXACTLY as according to my follow with only a newer version of EmpireEFI used? Please also me which version of EmpireEFI are you using and the EXACT link for getting it.

This screenshot looks just like the "bless tool was unable to..." problem I had been posting about before. Somewhere on the menus there should be an option to show the Mac OS X installer logs, and I'm pretty sure that the error would be about "bless tool".

You may ignore this error for now, as the Mac OS itself had been fully installed and is ready to use. In any case it wouldn't hurt if you boot-up into Mac OS Installer once again and use the Disk Utility to "Repair" the system partition.

After doing it just reboot the VM and try to boot into your freshly installed Mac OS using the same Empire EFI image you used for installation.

Most likely it will work as normal and present you with postinstall setting dialogs.

Next steps you will need to take are:

1. Replace the kernel with the one patched to ignore wrong CPUIDs (I use this one: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=214528)

2. Install important kexts, most notably fakesmc and NullCPUPowerManagement.

3. Either try to get vbox EFI to bootup your system correctly (i.e. follow the guide and enable EFI in VM settings after changing kernel to a proper version - but be sure to name it mach_kernel and correctly modify com.apple.Boot.plist to instruct original Mac OS X bootloader to use the "mach_kernel" file as a kernel) or proceed with the installation of Chameleon 2 RC4.

4. Optional. Install AppleAC97Audio.kext to get something that might be called "sound support", although sound will be choppy and unstable.

We are limited to use only 1 CPU to run SL when we are using VB3.1.6. I thought this was 'fixed'.enahnced in VB3.2. But from what you have tested, multiple CPUs can only used for certain brand.. and AMD Phenom II X4 is not one of them.

I still may use two and more cores in MacOS guest VM on my AMD Phenom II X4 host. The problem is it just don't work with Empire EFI 1.085 R2 AMD/i3M/i5M images. So it is required to set the cores number to 1 during the installation phase (or try to use non-R2 Empire EFI 1.085 AMD legacy ISO image). Later on it will be in any case required to change the kernel to the version with patched CPUID detection (for now I use this one) and the ability to boot up with multiple cores will depend on the installed kernel. The kernel I had provided link to works normally with up to 4 cores on my host.

4. Optional. Install AppleAC97Audio.kext to get something that might be called "sound support", although sound will be choppy and unstable.

I get the same choppy and unstable output here, but it does at least prevent the app hangs I observed with no sound driver.

It would be nice now that SL seems to work well on VB 3.2.0 to have both a solid sound driver and perhaps a customized display driver for Virtual Box VM's that work seamlessly. The availability of the full suite of Virtual Box Additions for SL would be very cool as well, although I am not sure it would or could be distributed by Oracle with Virtual Box.

Now that I have installed SL 10.6.0 and updated to 10.6.3, I would expect that the virtual HD should be completely portable to an i3/i5/i7 PC without any boot problems (even if my install procedure is not). The CPUID support for these later processors should be in SL 10.6.3, correct?

I get the same choppy and unstable output here, but it does at least prevent the app hangs I observed with no sound driver.

Sure, this sound driver cures the hangs like ones you get when try to change speech synthesizer settings, e.t.c.

It would be nice now that SL seems to work well on VB 3.2.0 to have both a solid sound driver and perhaps a customized display driver for Virtual Box VM's that work seamlessly. The availability of the full suite of Virtual Box Additions for SL would be very cool as well, although I am not sure it would or could be distributed by Oracle with Virtual Box.

If I understand the Oracle policy on the Mac OS X support correctly, Mac OS guest inside VirtualBOX is only officially supported for running Mac OS X Server guests on the Max OS X hosts. So it might be possible that the Guest Additions for the Mac OS X (which have been told to be "worked on" on the vbox support forums) will only be shipped with the Mac OS X version of VirtualBOX. On the other side, Guest Additions most likely will be nothing more than a pack of kexts and a support utility (Shared folders/Clipboard), so it wouldn't be hard to take them from the working Mac OS Server guest and copy to any other Mac OS guest you like. I don't believe that Oracle will change the emulated hardware type for Mac OS version of VirtualBOX in order to make Guest Additions incompatible with other platforms.

The CPUID support for these later processors should be in SL 10.6.3, correct?

As far as I know, there were reported problems with mobile versions of Core i3/i5. Consult to the OSx86 wiki HCL's to get the exact answers :-).

OK...

Quick update. I have now managed to get onto the Snow Leopard desktop.

I still have to boot via EFI. I tried the kexts files, but no luck, they install OK but when I power off the Virtual Box, unmount EFI and tick the enable EFI box in Virtual box, when I go to boot up the virtual box I just get a black screen? I then have to change it back and boot up using my EFI ISO image.

Secondly, how do I get to change the screen resolution? Is there an XML file I need to edit?

Thirdly, sound, how do I enable sound?

Fourth and final question. Can I do software updates? Or will this fudge my installation?

Thanks for all the help!

Is there any kind of accelerated video driver for virtualbox out or going to be released?

Read the thread carefuly, please. The answer to your question had been posted dozens of times in previous posts.

Quick update. I have now managed to get onto the Snow Leopard desktop.

I still have to boot via EFI. I tried the kexts files, but no luck, they install OK but when I power off the Virtual Box, unmount EFI and tick the enable EFI box in Virtual box, when I go to boot up the virtual box I just get a black screen? I then have to change it back and boot up using my EFI ISO image.

Secondly, how do I get to change the screen resolution? Is there an XML file I need to edit?

Thirdly, sound, how do I enable sound?

Fourth and final question. Can I do software updates? Or will this fudge my installation?

Had you take a time and read my previous posts at all? There were answers there to the questions you ask now. You've been told in my previous post that as it was required to use Empire EFI with the patched kernel for booting into the installation it will be required to replace kernel in the installed system in order for it to boot. Your currently installed vanilla kernel simply hangs due to CPUID mismatch. You've been provided with a link to a kernel that might work on your system. Why don't you people try to read throughly and follow the instructions exactly?

Don't know how to install audio driver? Come on, read the guide by takwing, instructions are there!

Nobody is interested in helping people who refuse to read advices.

LeXa2,

I understand your point..... people seeking help should provide as much as info as possible (so that we know what is happening) and read advices carefully....

Definitely, question likes "I cannot start my VM with SL DVD", "I have installed SL, but it cannot startup after reboot" won't be replied with "an expected answer"....

On the other hands, as I am a newbie in the forum, I sometimes find it hard to follow the posts, there is basically one thread and different people asking different questions, and different people providing feedback / advicse..... (Recently, I found that I can use the "back arrow" in the "Quote" line to go back to the oringal post, and that helps me a little bit) If we can have one thread discussing one topic / one problem, it may help....

One of the reasons why I write the guide is to help those people searching for info here (by reading all the posts)....

Hello guys.

I have VB 3.2.0 r61806, host OS win7 x64. Tried lots of mac images. And finally it had been installed with the help of hazard's 10.6.1-10.6.2 dvd. But if i'm trying to boot from hd i got this:

Loading 'mach_kernel' ...

root device uuid...

Loading drivers...

about 16 dotted lines and that's all.

Give me a recommendation please.

Hello guys.

I have VB 3.2.0 r61806, host OS win7 x64. Tried lots of mac images. And finally it had been installed with the help of hazard's 10.6.1-10.6.2 dvd. But if i'm trying to boot from hd i got this:

root device uuid...

Loading drivers...

please state also your hardware configuration, the most important thing should be the CPU.

Have you tried following EXACTLY as what is stated my guide? If not, then my recommendation is: "Try it". Sorry if it sounds hard-selling.... but to help the experts to know more about your problem, it would be better to let me know what you have done and at which stage you encountered the reported problem.

This screenshot looks just like the "bless tool was unable to..." problem I had been posting about before. Somewhere on the menus there should be an option to show the Mac OS X installer logs, and I'm pretty sure that the error would be about "bless tool".

You may ignore this error for now, as the Mac OS itself had been fully installed and is ready to use. In any case it wouldn't hurt if you boot-up into Mac OS Installer once again and use the Disk Utility to "Repair" the system partition.

After doing it just reboot the VM and try to boot into your freshly installed Mac OS using the same Empire EFI image you used for installation.

Most likely it will work as normal and present you with postinstall setting dialogs.

Next steps you will need to take are:

1. Replace the kernel with the one patched to ignore wrong CPUIDs (I use this one: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=214528)

2. Install important kexts, most notably fakesmc and NullCPUPowerManagement.

3. Either try to get vbox EFI to bootup your system correctly (i.e. follow the guide and enable EFI in VM settings after changing kernel to a proper version - but be sure to name it mach_kernel and correctly modify com.apple.Boot.plist to instruct original Mac OS X bootloader to use the "mach_kernel" file as a kernel) or proceed with the installation of Chameleon 2 RC4.

I still may use two and more cores in MacOS guest VM on my AMD Phenom II X4 host. The problem is it just don't work with Empire EFI 1.085 R2 AMD/i3M/i5M images. So it is required to set the cores number to 1 during the installation phase (or try to use non-R2 Empire EFI 1.085 AMD legacy ISO image). Later on it will be in any case required to change the kernel to the version with patched CPUID detection (for now I use this one) and the ability to boot up with multiple cores will depend on the installed kernel. The kernel I had provided link to works normally with up to 4 cores on my host.

I have read your guide.

I have installed the kernal, it warned me that I was using an older version of Snow Leopard (10.6.0) but went through and installed ok.

I then installed the .kext files, and reset the system (till it crashed and then powered off).

Changed the settings in my Virtual box by enabling EFI, then unmounting my EFI ISO. I should also point out that I have only being using 1CPU as well.

I still go to load up my Virtual Box to be presented with a black screen?

I am unsure to what you are saying here? What is mach_kernel? And I am unfamiliar with Chameleon? Unless I am missing something obvious.

but be sure to name it mach_kernel and correctly modify com.apple.Boot.plist to instruct original Mac OS X bootloader to use the "mach_kernel" file as a kernel) or proceed with the installation of Chameleon 2 RC4.

Hello guys.

root device uuid...

Loading drivers...

at first uncheck EFI support in VBox, because you have installed a chameleon bootloader within your SL.

I have installed the kernal, it warned me that I was using an older version of Snow Leopard (10.6.0) but went through and installed ok.

What were the exact steps you took to "install kernel"?

If it was just click on the downloaded ".pkg" from the forum thread I had provided a link to and then you had proceeded with the step-by-step standard Mac OS installation wizard, then the new kernel had been installed to the file named /legacy_kernel, not to the file /mach_kernel.

I am unsure to what you are saying here? What is mach_kernel? And I am unfamiliar with Chameleon? Unless I am missing something obvious.

Well, let me give you some insights that you should be aware of in case you're trying to install your hackintosh using vanilla Mac OS image.

First of all, about the kernel. The core part of the Mac OS operating is the kernel. It is special file that the computer executes early during the bootup and it is usually named "mach_kernel" and placed in the root of the system partition (i.e. the path to the file is "/mach_kernel"). Original Apple's kernel have got some CPUID checks hard-coded and it simply hangs in case the detected CPU is not one of those Apple had been using in their original hardware. That is why you have to use "hacked" kernel versions with these CPUID check removed in case your CPU is not one of those "Apple original".

Second thing to mention is the so-called "bootloader". Each and every computer just after the power up reads a special program - firmware - from some kind of the non-violative memory chip (usually NOR-flash chips are used for this purposes). Main job of this special program is to do the quick computer self-test, initialize devices required to boot the operating system, locate the correct operating system image (kernel) to boot, load it up to the memory and pass the control. There are two major standards for the way this special program operates: old-good "PC BIOS" (Intel considers it legacy) and relatively brand-new "EFI" (Extesible Firmware Interface).

Original Apple computers use EFI while ordinary PCs use BIOS. The OS locate/bootup process differs hugely between EFI and BIOS. Mac OS was designed to use EFI standard, so it is required to emulate EFI behavior on the regular PC in order to boot into Mac OS correctly. VirtualBOX 3.2.0 may emulate EFI behavior for you and that is exactly what is done when you set the EFI checkbox in the VM properties.

Chances are that vbox EFI will not suit your needs and then you may wish to use another EFI emulators called "EFI bootloaders". These bootloaders actually are just like operating systems to be boot using regular PC BIOS and after loading they will act just as EFI emulators allowing you to boot into EFI-capable OS. One of the most known EFI emulators designed specifically to boot Mac OS kernel on the regular PC is "Chameleon EFI". In case VirtualBOX EFI emulation don't work for you it may be reasonable to swith vbox EFI off and install Chameleon EFI instead. One of the big advantages Chameleon EFI offers is the possibility to select the kernel file to boot on the fly.

Now, knowing all above, let's get back to your problems. So, most probably you had installed patched kernel package and most probably it had placed new kernel to the root of the filesystem with the name "legacy_kernel". What you have to do now is to either try to reconfigure original Mac OS EFI loader to use "legacy_kernel" instead of "mach_kernel" or try to install Chameleon bootloader and configure it the same way.

First approach require you to edit the file "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" to look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>legacy_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>arch=i386</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Key points here are the name of the Kernel ("legacy_kernel") and the kernel flag to use 32-bit kernel instead of 64-bit ("arch=i386"). Bear in mind that the "com.apple.Boot.plist" file owner is root user so you will have to copy this file to another place to be able to edit it and then move it back replacing the original (system will ask you for an administrator's password to proceed with the overwrite). After making a corrections to the "com.apple.Boot.plist" you may try to reboot the system with the VirtualBOX EFI enabled. With luck your system will boot using "legacy_kernel". The name of the kernel EFI tries to boot with will be printed during the bootup on the "screen with the dots". If your system would try to use "mach_kernel" instead of "legacy_kernel" despite the changes you made to the "com.apple.Boot.plist" you will have two possibilities to choose from: either replace original "mach_kernel" file with the "legacy_kernel" (i.e. copy "legacy_kernel" to the desktop, rename it to the "mach_kernel" and move back to the root of the system volume overwriting existing "mach_kernel") or install the Chameleon bootloader.

Installation of the Chameleon bootloader is not the easiest task ever but it had been discussed a lot. Thus, search the forums for more info if you would like to proceed with the Chameleon.

Thank you LeXa2!

I've had a working OSX image for a couple of weeks, but it would only boot via EmpireEFI (presumably because I have an AMD processor) and because of that I could never change resolution.

I tried installing the legacy kernel for Intel/AMD mentioned in the thread, but it failed to boot with EFI enabled. Finally you provided the last piece of the puzzle:

<key>Kernel</key>

and bingo. Boots with EFI enabled, and I can choose 1440x900 resolution. Excellent!

Thank you LeXa2!

... and bingo. Boots with EFI enabled, and I can choose 1440x900 resolution. Excellent!

You are welcome. It is good to hear that the original Mac OS EFI bootloader correctly recognizes the "Kernel" key in the "com.apple.Boot.plist" file. I wasn't sure that it will work as expected and I had no chance to give it a try as my personal preference is to use Chameleon bootloader instead of vbox EFI (needless to say that if you've got Chameleon bootloader installed it would be almost impossible to boot using vbox EFI mode).

What were the exact steps you took to "install kernel"?

If it was just click on the downloaded ".pkg" from the forum thread I had provided a link to and then you had proceeded with the step-by-step standard Mac OS installation wizard, then the new kernel had been installed to the file named /legacy_kernel, not to the file /mach_kernel.

Well, let me give you some insights that you should be aware of in case you're trying to install your hackintosh using vanilla Mac OS image.

First of all, about the kernel. The core part of the Mac OS operating is the kernel. It is special file that the computer executes early during the bootup and it is usually named "mach_kernel" and placed in the root of the system partition (i.e. the path to the file is "/mach_kernel"). Original Apple's kernel have got some CPUID checks hard-coded and it simply hangs in case the detected CPU is not one of those Apple had been using in their original hardware. That is why you have to use "hacked" kernel versions with these CPUID check removed in case your CPU is not one of those "Apple original".

Second thing to mention is the so-called "bootloader". Each and every computer just after the power up reads a special program - firmware - from some kind of the non-violative memory chip (usually NOR-flash chips are used for this purposes). Main job of this special program is to do the quick computer self-test, initialize devices required to boot the operating system, locate the correct operating system image (kernel) to boot, load it up to the memory and pass the control. There are two major standards for the way this special program operates: old-good "PC BIOS" (Intel considers it legacy) and relatively brand-new "EFI" (Extesible Firmware Interface).

Original Apple computers use EFI while ordinary PCs use BIOS. The OS locate/bootup process differs hugely between EFI and BIOS. Mac OS was designed to use EFI standard, so it is required to emulate EFI behavior on the regular PC in order to boot into Mac OS correctly. VirtualBOX 3.2.0 may emulate EFI behavior for you and that is exactly what is done when you set the EFI checkbox in the VM properties.

Chances are that vbox EFI will not suit your needs and then you may wish to use another EFI emulators called "EFI bootloaders". These bootloaders actually are just like operating systems to be boot using regular PC BIOS and after loading they will act just as EFI emulators allowing you to boot into EFI-capable OS. One of the most known EFI emulators designed specifically to boot Mac OS kernel on the regular PC is "Chameleon EFI". In case VirtualBOX EFI emulation don't work for you it may be reasonable to swith vbox EFI off and install Chameleon EFI instead. One of the big advantages Chameleon EFI offers is the possibility to select the kernel file to boot on the fly.

Now, knowing all above, let's get back to your problems. So, most probably you had installed patched kernel package and most probably it had placed new kernel to the root of the filesystem with the name "legacy_kernel". What you have to do now is to either try to reconfigure original Mac OS EFI loader to use "legacy_kernel" instead of "mach_kernel" or try to install Chameleon bootloader and configure it the same way.

First approach require you to edit the file "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" to look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
 <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
 <plist version="1.0">
 <dict>
  <key>Kernel</key>
  <key>Kernel Flags</key>
  <string>arch=i386</string>
</dict>
 </plist>

Key points here are the name of the Kernel ("legacy_kernel") and the kernel flag to use 32-bit kernel instead of 64-bit ("arch=i386"). Bear in mind that the "com.apple.Boot.plist" file owner is root user so you will have to copy this file to another place to be able to edit it and then move it back replacing the original (system will ask you for an administrator's password to proceed with the overwrite). After making a corrections to the "com.apple.Boot.plist" you may try to reboot the system with the VirtualBOX EFI enabled. With luck your system will boot using "legacy_kernel". What is the name of the kernel EFI tries to boot with be printed during the bootup on the "screen with the dots". If your system would try to use "mach_kernel" instead of "legacy_kernel" despite the changes you made to the "com.apple.Boot.plist" you will have two possibilities to choose from: either replace original "mach_kernel" file with the "legacy_kernel" (i.e. copy "legacy_kernel" to the desktop, rename it to the "mach_kernel" and move back to the root of the system volume overwriting existing "mach_kernel") or install the Chameleon bootloader.

Installation of the Chameleon bootloader is not the easiest task ever but it had been discussed a lot. Thus, search the forums for more info if you would like to proceed with the Chameleon.

Thanks for your help.

I have just checked the kernel in "com.applie.Boot.plist" within my EFI bootloader and it is using mach_kernel. So I presume from this I will never get the legacy_kernel to work?

Is there a .pkg out there similar to the one that edits the legacy_kernel but for mach_kernel?

I tried renaming and putting into the root of my Mac but it said I could not due to the mach_kernel file being invisible?

I guess I am going to have to delete my Virtual Box and create a new one using the Chameleon bootloader?

Thanks for your help.

You are welcome.

I have just checked the kernel in "com.applie.Boot.plist" within my EFI bootloader and it is using mach_kernel. So I presume from this I will never get the legacy_kernel to work?

Is there a .pkg out there similar to the one that edits the legacy_kernel but for mach_kernel?

I tried renaming and putting into the root of my Mac but it said I could not due to the mach_kernel file being invisible?

I guess I am going to have to delete my Virtual Box and create a new one using the Chameleon bootloader?

Your assumptions that you will never get "legacy_kernel" to work are wrong. And you should not delete your vbox VM in order to install Chameleon bootloader: there is absolutely no point in doing it.

popcornmix had just reported that the original Mac OS EFI bootloader would boot "legacy_kernel" instead of "mach_kernel" in case you will make correct editions to your "com.apple.Boot.plist". You still didn't answered a question about the exact steps you took to "install the patched kernel". Still I will assume that you've got the "legacy_kernel" file in the root of the system volume (if not - you have to download the package with the patched kernel and install it).

Here are the exact steps you should take:

1. Double-check that there is "legacy_kernel" file in the root of the system partition of your Mac OS installation.

2. Go to the "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/" folder and copy "com.apple.Boot.plist" file to the desktop.

3. Open up the desktop copy "com.apple.Boot.plist" in the text editor.

4. Submit here the exact contents of this file.

I will provide you with the additional instructions afterwards.

I would suggest removing IntelCPUPowerManagement kext from your SL.

You may want to take a snapshot of your VM in virutalbox before testing this.

Thanks.I done this. Now testing . Results coming soon (i'll write here) . Mac os is a new system for me.....i am always use windows.   it is very interesting system. How can about to share folders from windows 7  host ? Is it possible or not ? And if yes, how can i do this?  

Other question...: When i restart or shut down macos VM i allways shut down  or reset virtual machine manual, because i see the blue screen with black dot on it and nothing happen... Can i  restart or shot down without terminated a machine? 

p.s. thank you for next reply....