i7 build Success For Pro Audio & Video use Help Page

23 posts in this topic

OK so finally got build finished with help from Digital Dreamer, Noizyboy & Cindori (Many Thanks!)

Build consists of everything in my signature and with install of OSX 10.6.2 using DD's script and then removing what wasn't needed i.e few kexts (thanks Tonymacx86 and Cindori) I'm over the moon.

I am a Mac Tech and have 12 yrs under my belt BUT due to needing PCI slots for my Digidesign Pro Tools HD cards I was left to fend for myself if I wanted to use something newer than a 2.7Ghz PCI G5 Powermac to run them (was a great machine but come on!)

I also really wanted rackmount capability to get the Mac in a Rack (have wanted that for about 6 yrs!)

In all honesty what I have now is nothing short of amazing considering I also have an 8 Core 2.26Ghz Mac Pro specced out (over £3000 in total) and did this machine at just under £1300! OK so not Dual i7 and it has 6GB ram instead of 12GB on my Mac Pro, BUT Geekbench shows roughly the same mark on both and it really is like sh*t off a shovel.

I really would like to be able to help fellow users if I can in the future that use High end PCI cards such as Digidesign, Avid, AJA etc etc to get systems running if they want to give it a try or simply need to do real time stuff tbut maybe don't have a spare £3000-4000 in the bank.

This is one case where the Hackintosh community is making it easier for the smaller guy to continue using their preferred platform (Mac) with cards that the manufacturer deems "Old technology" and still get work done without re-mortgaging their house to buy a new Mac AS WELL as new cards (aimed directly at Digidesign!!!!)

Please post if you want to find out more.

I will be putting this system through various high load stress tests over the upcoming weeks and reporting back with findings. From running RTAS/VST & audio unit Plugs to decoding/rendering (Red files etc) and large file transfer projects (may even try some fibre channel stuff to Raid etc)

Thank you to all that helped and will no doubt continue to help.

PS sound dampening was also a major factor in this build so will post some pics tomorrow on rackmount soundproofing and fans we used etc

great read. ive been following DD's thread like a hawk as im about to embark on my first build using i7 920 and ex58-ud5. my setup will also be for pro audio - i will be running logic 9.1 with an apogee duet and plenty of AU's.

its good to hear that your setup has the same geekbench scores as your mac pro.

my main concern is firewire usability with the apogee duet and i hope that i wont have any dramas.

again, well done with your build and i may be asking YOU for advise next too :)

my main concern is firewire usability with the apogee duet and i hope that i wont have any dramas.

again, well done with your build and i may be asking YOU for advise next too :)

No problem, I haven't run any FW interface yet (but I do have a Mbox Pro so can try at weekend) I hooked up a FW HD and it mounted instantly and worked fine so fingers crossed! Will update once tried.

cheers

thanks! i've subscribed to the thread too for all your future updates :) my only other concern is which gfx card to use. i've noticed you've used a not so common high-end card. what made you decide to use that card?

i'm trying to decide on something that's dual dvi. i already have a gtx285 in my existing i7 windows desktop so think i'll just get another one...

Changed Quadro 5600 for ATI 4870 (official Mac model) today as was getting some screen draw issues in Pro Tools, system seems a lot better now and no jerkiness at all, I did post a note in the Hardware section asking about Kexts & DSDT's and how they work with a card, obviously the 5600 being a high end card I wondered if the kext was suitable for it? (no response yet, feel free to chime in)

Also added a Digidesign C24 desk today (works via ethernet) and so far all good with it popping up in Pro Tools as it should and being responsive as it should ;)

Finally found u guys!!! Some Audio Headz. I'm sick of this windows Getting crazy. Cubase 5 goes crazy. Tried some small projects i had on my old imac, loved it so much that i want to have one of those Hakintoshes. I have a big project starting mid Feb. I want to do start and finish the project on the new Hackintosh using Logic 9.1 & Cubase 5 & UAD-2 quad & RME FireFace 800.

I almost got on iMac 27" i7 but because of lack of the internal extra harddrives and having only one FireWire made me go look on the mac pro. But if u get a Mac pro u should get a 8core. But that one is to expensive.

I'm willing to pay 2000 euro's for this Hackintosh. I want it to be more powerfull then the 8core and the 27"iMac i7. also it needs to handle my RME FireFace 800 (FireWire) UAD-2 card and 8gb of Ram

What Motherboard/CPU/GPU/RAM do i need to buy that works best with Snow Leopard Retail.

I dont want to fiddle around with drivers kexts bla bla bla that much.

Pra

Changed Quadro 5600 for ATI 4870 (official Mac model) today as was getting some screen draw issues in Pro Tools, system seems a lot better now and no jerkiness at all, I did post a note in the Hardware section asking about Kexts & DSDT's and how they work with a card, obviously the 5600 being a high end card I wondered if the kext was suitable for it? (no response yet, feel free to chime in)

Also added a Digidesign C24 desk today (works via ethernet) and so far all good with it popping up in Pro Tools as it should and being responsive as it should :ninja:

hi, did ur new ati work right out of the box?

hi, did ur new ati work right out of the box?

HI, no not out of the box, my spec (in signature) works great, take a look at Digital dreamers thread for a very nice low key install method. No matter what you do though you will need to get your hands dirty! I tried some of the "Out of the box" methods and they were no good.

Let me know if you need help

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Im using MC 3, and at some point which I cant track back, it stopped recognizing the audio interface, therefore it wont load at all. I cant remember when was the last time it worked, Im using 10.5.8 on an asus p5e64ws evolution, using taruga's patcher for ADI1988 and as I said it used to work just fine with this setup(went through 10.5, 6, 7 and 8). I recently purchased a presonus firebox to be used with cubase and probably installed a few progs since but I cant be more specific. I already tried to revert to the 10.5 kexts, also removed the midi folders in library/audio as suggested in the avid forums to no avail. Any other ideas?

again, well done with your build and i may be asking YOU for advise next too :rolleyes:

No problem, I haven't run any FW interface yet (but I do have a Mbox Pro so can try at weekend) I hooked up a FW HD and it mounted instantly and worked fine so fingers crossed! Will update once tried.

cheers

I use an Apogee Ensemble, never had any problem what so ever. All running smooth and fine.

OK so finally got build finished with help from Digital Dreamer, Noizyboy & Cindori (Many Thanks!)

Build consists of everything in my signature and with install of OSX 10.6.2 using DD's script and then removing what wasn't needed i.e few kexts (thanks Tonymacx86 and Cindori) I'm over the moon.

I am a Mac Tech and have 12 yrs under my belt BUT due to needing PCI slots for my Digidesign Pro Tools HD cards I was left to fend for myself if I wanted to use something newer than a 2.7Ghz PCI G5 Powermac to run them (was a great machine but come on!)

I also really wanted rackmount capability to get the Mac in a Rack (have wanted that for about 6 yrs!)

In all honesty what I have now is nothing short of amazing considering I also have an 8 Core 2.26Ghz Mac Pro specced out (over £3000 in total) and did this machine at just under £1300! OK so not Dual i7 and it has 6GB ram instead of 12GB on my Mac Pro, BUT Geekbench shows roughly the same mark on both and it really is like sh*t off a shovel.

I really would like to be able to help fellow users if I can in the future that use High end PCI cards such as Digidesign, Avid, AJA etc etc to get systems running if they want to give it a try or simply need to do real time stuff tbut maybe don't have a spare £3000-4000 in the bank.

This is one case where the Hackintosh community is making it easier for the smaller guy to continue using their preferred platform (Mac) with cards that the manufacturer deems "Old technology" and still get work done without re-mortgaging their house to buy a new Mac AS WELL as new cards (aimed directly at Digidesign!!!!)

Please post if you want to find out more.

I will be putting this system through various high load stress tests over the upcoming weeks and reporting back with findings. From running RTAS/VST & audio unit Plugs to decoding/rendering (Red files etc) and large file transfer projects (may even try some fibre channel stuff to Raid etc)

Thank you to all that helped and will no doubt continue to help.

PS sound dampening was also a major factor in this build so will post some pics tomorrow on rackmount soundproofing and fans we used etc

Since I havent followed your whole thread what were you stuck on so I dont get into the same problems with my build?

Since I havent followed your whole thread what were you stuck on so I dont get into the same problems with my build?

Hey, really the only pain was trying to get the sound card onboard working (which I gave up on and disabled, complete rubbish anyway!)

My Quadro GFX were a little lagging so changed to a ATI 4870 and super sharp now!

other than that happy days and now running with m,y C24 control surface via ethernet as well

post-319503-1266062372_thumb.jpg

formal,

thanks for directing me here...

which rack case is that? (sorry if it missed it)

how are your noise levels? are you using a soundproof rack or machine room for the box?

i need to be able to record in the same room w/ it, so looking into liquid cooled options.

tim

I am using this case : http://www.xcase.co.uk/Compucase-4u-s401-p...ucase-s401b.htm ( In Silver)

It matches the digi I/O's perfectly!

The machine is in same room as me (I dont record vocals etc so its fine) even though its very quiet (slightly louder than my 2008 Mac Pro) I was going to use liquid cooling but no need, I used a foam kit from quiet pc : http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/...terials/ap-kits

its good enough for most!

Hope that helps and check pic for idea :)

• 3 weeks later...
post-319503-1266062372_thumb.jpg

I am using this case : pic ( In Silver)

It matches the digi I/O's perfectly!

The machine is in same room as me (I dont record vocals etc so its fine) even though its very quiet (slightly louder than my 2008 Mac Pro) I was going to use liquid cooling but no need, I used a foam kit from quiet pc : pic

its good enough for most!

Hope that helps and check pic for idea :)

Jeez, I've been searching for someone who might have tried it, searched the Avid forum

for anyone that has build a hackintosh (i call them PAC's :)) and runs Logic with the Pro Tools HD cards.

I've just build a hackintosh (i7/EX58-UD5) for someone else. The plan is to run Pro Tools HD as well,

the only problem I foresee is that the HD cards a 64-bit universal PCI's. Not the PCIe's. Watching your picture closely you have the PCIe version. Do you know by change if the 64-bit PCI's would work as wel? I know they work in PCI (2.x, 5v) so that is not the problem, I just hope that the Mac driver recognizes the card as if it were in PCI-X slot. I've read a vague post about someone actually manage to get it to recognize in Logic, but the driver would constantly say that the hardware could not be found, but could work on it like working on a Mac Pro. I've got no clue about Pro Tools (or any Avid product).

Theoraticaly I could solve this problem by using a PCIe->PCI expansion (Virtuavia's expansion for example), but technically that wouldn't make any difference for busses to be recognized.

How did the stress test go btw? Very curious.

[edit]

Hmm, PCI allocation is read from BIOS, all should work fine, it's only the matter of finding the right driver & OS version.

Cheers,

fz

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Mr Formal !

first thanks for your post here !

def the best thread regarding this topic i have yet found online

we are planning to build 2 identical systems for our old PT HD pci cards (one will be core the other one hd2)

i found the specs of your build in your profile so far so good :P

which video card would you recommend if we cannot find the mac video card you have ?

and also could you please tell us which install method you used and if there's a guide to it

somewhere online ?

thanks a lot

in your opinion, for more basic video editing, of 1080P footage shot from a Canon 5D Mk2, do you think a P55 board and i5, overclocked, would be adequate?

I'm wondering the same thing. I've order a ti2 and am going to be editing its video. Will i5 be ok (i7 920 already sold out at microcenter).

I could step up to the i7 930 microcenter now has, but i'm not sure how tested that processor is in hackintoshs

• 1 year later...

First of all, thanks Formal for this topic. It was very usefull for me, because I'm buying the pieces to building my first hackintosh (I've made some practises of instalation on a pentium dual core pc, and finally decided to make a custom configuration to update my old pci-x cards to pt 9), and I was looking for a rackmount pc case wich fits my Protools HD2 cards, and thanks to you, I've decided to buy the compucase S401.

I want to put water cooling on that case. Could you tell me if the Corsair Hydro H100 will fit on the 2x120 mm fans of the front, or there is not enough room for it??

In other way, I've bought the GA-EX58-UD3R mobo with an I7 960, and an ATI 5770. And I'm planning to put a Blackmagic Intensity Pro for outputting video from pro tools.

So, anyone can tell me if I can put modules of 4 Gb of Ram (removing all except one on the DDR3_1 socket for the installation), or needs 2 modules on the installation??

I still haven't buy the RAM and don't want to waste my money.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my english.