Triple booted Vista, XP, OSX, but XP can't find the boot.ini

5 posts in this topic

:sorcerer: I triple installed and I was able to boot into all of them. But something messed my boot.ini in windows. Now it won't load. I thought it might be a virus but I checked my system and no. I can still boot into vista. So I've been trying to fix it in vista. Is there a way I might be able to access the boot setting from vista? Or do I just put in a new boot.ini file in XP and let vista fix it. Vista manages my boot setting for windows. I bet some of you must have already done this. After all Vista is the bigges download even in history. Vista is awesome by the way. Its worth it. Best thing I ever got for free.

Do you see any boot options for Vista like:

Windows Vista

Earlier Verion Windows

If you do not try setting your timeout to longer.

-type "bcdedit /timeout 15" in the run menu

you shouldn't need to mess with the boot.ini but if your OS is still not showing up. Try recreating your boot.ini on the XP partition. (I assume you know how boot.ini works since you didn't ask about it.) The Vista bootmanager should detect it and load it as a legacy windows option.

I don't think you have to do any commands through bcdedit to make it detect boot.ini but I may be mistaken. Still learning on Vista.

• 2 weeks later...

No I copied my boot ini all over again. It gives me the option but when I click on XP it doesn't load up. To hell with XP. Im using vista and OS X. Theres no way to fix it because vista modifies the boot.ini in install. I even tried to fix it with the install disk. No good.

• 2 weeks later...
No I copied my boot ini all over again. It gives me the option but when I click on XP it doesn't load up. To hell with XP. Im using vista and OS X. Theres no way to fix it because vista modifies the boot.ini in install. I even tried to fix it with the install disk. No good.

Vista doesn't use boot.ini, therefore it does not modify it. Having gone through a major ordeal with Vista a month ago, I gained a thorough understanding of how it boots. It uses an entirely different method that was touched on above briefly. You can edit this booting mechanism to load Windows XP as long as you haven't damaged any of the original XP files and it's still intact.

• 3 months later...