ATI HD4850 (Sapphire) in Snow Leopard

b.v.yukin

36 posts in this topic

I am having major problems with my graphics card. It's a Diamond HD4850 1gb id 9442 with DVI, HDMI, and VGA outputs. I have tried many different methods and I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I have:

Snow Leopard 10.6.1 vanilla kernel (I don't care about making it work in 10.6.2 right now)

Chameleon 2 RC4

ATI4800Controller.kext modified for my device ID in info.plist and loading properly.

Booted with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and GraphicsEnabler=y, also tried -pci0

Installed QE_CL_Exotic package (someone recommended to try that)

Installed LegacyATI4800Controller.kext

Tried combinations of the original and altered ATI4800 kext, both in /Extra and S/L/E.

Tried DVI and VGA monitors

In safe mode, system profiler shows the graphics as an HD4850, but with 256mb of Ram. At least it's being detected. When I boot in verbose mode, it loads ATY_INIT for id 9442 and then immediately quits it.

It sounded so simple to get this card working.... I guess not. Any help is extremely appreciated!!

I had similar problems getting my Powercolor card working...

Refer this thread and my posts in particular for info on what I did to get my Powercolor HD4850.

I installed Darwinx86-ATI48X0-IDs-Injector.kext in /Extra folder and all is good. You should be able to locate this kext with google... I did!

perhaps this will work for you too.

HIH and good luck

I had similar problems getting my Powercolor card working...

Refer this thread and my posts in particular for info on what I did to get my Powercolor HD4850.

I installed Darwinx86-ATI48X0-IDs-Injector.kext in /Extra folder and all is good. You should be able to locate this kext with google... I did!

perhaps this will work for you too.

HIH and good luck

Thanks, I'm doing a fresh install to try this at the moment. Found the kext, I plan on installing that in /Extra, and booting with graphicsenabler=yes and that should do it? Hope so! If all else fails I'll sell this card and buy something more compatible.

Well, I'm afraid that didn't work for me. I'm able to boot without errors, but my monitor just says out of range. I had a similar result last night, and when I remote connected to it I found that it had worked (Full QE/CL), it just wouldn't display on the monitor (DVI or VGA).

If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. I'd love to get this card working.

Otherwise, can anyone recommend a different brand HD4850 or HD4870 that is easy to get running in SL? I need a new card and love ATI.

Thanks for your help!

I have a Powercolor 512MB dual DVI card and it works fine,

before you go selling cards etc, have you tried booting on the other o/p if you have one? Have you tried a DVI to VGA adaptor?

can you boot safe mode -x with/without "Graphics Mode"="1440x900x32" (or similar to suit) and get the desktop? if so set the res to something low and reboot again...

HIH and keep at it as you will crack it sooner or later... it took me WEEKS to get my solution

I have a Powercolor 512MB dual DVI card and it works fine,

before you go selling cards etc, have you tried booting on the other o/p if you have one? Have you tried a DVI to VGA adaptor?

can you boot safe mode -x with/without "Graphics Mode"="1440x900x32" (or similar to suit) and get the desktop? if so set the res to something low and reboot again...

HIH and keep at it as you will crack it sooner or later... it took me WEEKS to get my solution

Thanks for your help. I've tried all this by now, plus a lot more. I think the Diamond card just isn't going to work. My brother has a Sapphire, I'm going to trade with him and try this stuff again.

I swapped my Diamond Card for an XFX 512mb 4850 with dual dvi and s-video, and it worked fine with the legacy kext from netkas (or adding device id to ati4800controller.kext) and GraphicsEnabler=Yes, Chameleon RC 4 + PC-EFI 10.6.

One odd problem... I CANNOT force it to boot in 64 bit mode, and I have no idea why. I have tried no boot flags, -x64, arch=x86_64, and both -x64 and arch=x86_64 together. None of this works. Is there some problem with using PC-EFI and chameleon together? Any help is appreciated, as my machine should have all 64 bit capable stuff now. Thanks!

• 2 months later...
Mine HD 4850 (Gigabyte) worked out in combine of above.

1. Made Snow Leopard to solid boot (arch=i386 and GraphicsEnabler=Yes). All had started aside for video (-x was suffice). Used netkas 10.5 EFI - http://netkas.org/?p=271

2. Updated to 10.6.2 (combo), reboot (still -x to boot)

3. Deleted ATI4500Controlled.kext and ATI4600Controlled.kext

4. Used Kext Utility to install LegacyATI4800Controller.kext in /S/L/E

5. Used Kext Utility to install ATY_Init.kext in /S/L/E

reboot - and it all had just work out. pictures, video (full hd, vlc), transparency. DVI for monitor + HDMI for tv.

though in System Profiler still no mentions about QE/CI

Hi guys

I just tested with this method

it works with my Sapphire 4850 512MB ram card

I tested on a Fresh 10.6.0 update using combo 10.6.2

the way above didn't work , I use Kext helper b7 instead of Kext Utitily

then it worked

but still not showing I got QE CI ...

is there a way i can be sure I got QE CI?

sorry i use bad english :(

• 1 month later...

Hi, sorry for the bump.

I just got my SL installed after 5 days trying different distros.

I have an AMD micro in an ASUS mother with a Geforce 8300 chipset. The VGA is an Sapphire 4850 512mb VGA + DVI + HDMI

I installed the "Snowleo" distro that is in some torrent place related with a bay of pirates.

"chocolate" kernel, i think that is 10.6.0.

The only way i could get video was starting in safe mode.

Then, i got to this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=201524

Did that, but i got no video at all, my monitor turns off, no kernel panics, because if i type my password and press enter i can see HDD activity so its working, but no video.

I modified the id in the kext file from single user because safe mode is not working, but no luck, besides the id they say i had to change was included in the list of IDs.

Now i can only get on singleuser, is there any way that i can get video to try this method?

i would really appreciate any help

• 1 month later...
Hi, sorry for the bump.

I just got my SL installed after 5 days trying different distros.

I have an AMD micro in an ASUS mother with a Geforce 8300 chipset. The VGA is an Sapphire 4850 512mb VGA + DVI + HDMI

I installed the "Snowleo" distro that is in some torrent place related with a bay of pirates.

"chocolate" kernel, i think that is 10.6.0.

The only way i could get video was starting in safe mode.

Then, i got to this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=201524

Did that, but i got no video at all, my monitor turns off, no kernel panics, because if i type my password and press enter i can see HDD activity so its working, but no video.

I modified the id in the kext file from single user because safe mode is not working, but no luck, besides the id they say i had to change was included in the list of IDs.

Now i can only get on singleuser, is there any way that i can get video to try this method?

i would really appreciate any help

I know you posted this a while ago, but I had a similar card (Diamond brand, actually) but also with the DVI, VGA, and HDMI outputs and after 2 weeks of trying everything I couldn't get it to work. I swapped it out for an HIS card with dual DVI and it works with no issues.