ATI HD4850 (Sapphire) in Snow Leopard

b.v.yukin

36 posts in this topic

Hi! First of all sorry my english :P

I have problems with HD4850 (Sapphire) in Snow Leopard 10.6.2

I tried a lot of things to make this card working, none of them has succeeded.

I read topic about HD4850 here but in not for Sapphire! Solution not work! My best result without Kernel Panic but with garbled screen.

Can anyone tell me - how can i make HD4850 work in Snow Leo?

(really working way) please!

Your device id is 0x94421002

What is the exact model of your graphics card? what are the available video outputs? do you use DVI, HDMI, VGA or DisplayPort? Are you using PC EFI or Chameleon 2.0 RC4?

This is the recommended way to get HD4850 (not Sapphire specific) working on SL 10.6.2 assuming you just updated to 10.6.2 using the combo update from Apple site:

1. Download Kext Helper b7 and Kext Utility.

2. Remove ATI4500Controller.kext and ATI4600Controller.kext from System/Library/Extensions.

3. Add LegacyATI4800Controller.kext to Extra/Extensions using Kext Helper b7.

4. Rebuild caches using Kext Utility.

5. Reboot with -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes and if you get kernel panic in ATIRadeonX2000.kext reboot again with -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes -pci1 PciRoot=1

If this doesn't work (please test all outputs before you assume it doesn't) try installing this and then this. Then boot again as described in step 5 above.

Good luck!

512mb PCI-E DDR-3 Sapphire ATI RADEON HD 4850 +DVI+HDMI+Crossfire

Motherboard is ASUS P5KPL/1600

i'm use Chameleon 2.0 RC3

about combo update it's allready instaled as i know - I click "about this mac" and there is 10.6.2 (10c540)

About ports - i use CRT display 17'' so used VGA port

I think ATi injection is better on PC efi 10.5 or Chameleon RC4 so it would be worth trying them.

Not sure you will be able to get it working right in 10.6.2, my dual DVI 4850 does work perfectly in 10.6.2 but was a mission, maybe stick with 10.6.1 if that worked for you.

Now i use Chameleon RC4 and what i have for this moment:

Card work only in safe mode or with arch=i386 (of course without QE). It is full correctly detect in the "About this mac"!!!

But it doesn't work in standart boot in 64bit - result - garbled screen.

Mine HD 4850 (Gigabyte) worked out in combine of above.

1. Made Snow Leopard to solid boot (arch=i386 and GraphicsEnabler=Yes). All had started aside for video (-x was suffice). Used netkas 10.5 EFI - http://netkas.org/?p=271

2. Updated to 10.6.2 (combo), reboot (still -x to boot)

3. Deleted ATI4500Controlled.kext and ATI4600Controlled.kext

4. Used Kext Utility to install LegacyATI4800Controller.kext in /S/L/E

5. Used Kext Utility to install ATY_Init.kext in /S/L/E

reboot - and it all had just work out. pictures, video (full hd, vlc), transparency. DVI for monitor + HDMI for tv.

though in System Profiler still no mentions about QE/CI

it works on 64bit once you have installed on arch i386?interesting thing

it's non mentioned about qe/ci,but you have a fully working 4850? the dashboard also have the water effect? 'll try this...

Mine HD 4850 (Gigabyte) worked out in combine of above.

1. Made Snow Leopard to solid boot (arch=i386 and GraphicsEnabler=Yes). All had started aside for video (-x was suffice). Used netkas 10.5 EFI - http://netkas.org/?p=271

2. Updated to 10.6.2 (combo), reboot (still -x to boot)

3. Deleted ATI4500Controlled.kext and ATI4600Controlled.kext

4. Used Kext Utility to install LegacyATI4800Controller.kext in /S/L/E

5. Used Kext Utility to install ATY_Init.kext in /S/L/E

reboot - and it all had just work out. pictures, video (full hd, vlc), transparency. DVI for monitor + HDMI for tv.

though in System Profiler still no mentions about QE/CI

it works on 64bit once you have installed on arch i386?interesting thing

it's non mentioned about qe/ci,but you have a fully working 4850? the dashboard also have the water effect? 'll try this...

duh. it does work in 64-bit but some how strange. boot time is noticeably slower and right before starting desktop the screen goes in black and white dots for a few second, but than the righteous desktop loads with no visible artifacts.

though I have to stick to arch=i386 to load my raid kext.

in both i386 and x86_64: vlc/quicktime/mplayer plays video, screensavers... saving screen in fancy ways, dashboard does "water effect". there are few issues with video playback while using QuickTime+Flip4Mac/Perian but as I'm using hackintosh I'm not sure that it's Radeon or whatever to blame.

I donna know. may be the QE/CI not fully supported after all that's why System Profiler reports nothing on them.

Can you tell me how to get the resolution changed with the right drivers?

well one suggests to kill ATIRadeonX2000.kext (and rebuild Extensions.mkext) to get the res change function. I does worked for me at the first time. but eventually I'd to take shamanic way described through guides in forum to get QE/CI.

--- upd

make sure GraphicsEnabler=Yes. try to put ATY_Init.kext in /S/L/E xor /E/E locations. check which x86/x64 kernel you are using,

so any way and any how - you need to collect right kexts for you Radeon... or pledge yourself to GreenOne.

I restored all ATI kexts to stock 10.6.2, installed Chameleon 2.0 RC4, enabled GraphicsEnabler on com.apple.Boot.plist, and -- that made the trick -- installed LegacyATIRadeon4800.kext on /S/L/E. Guess what? I am posting this from my Snow Leopard. Got full video acceleration, QE/CI (transparent menu bar + ripples effect on Dashboard).

The only gotcha? Using my DVI cable, I am unable to use any resolution besides 1280x1024 based on 60Hz frequency (my monitor goes up to 1920x1200). 1280x1024 works only @75Hz. But it is enough to start polishing this install.

I am posting this from my Snow Leopard. Got full video acceleration, QE/CI (transparent menu bar + ripples effect on Dashboard).

apparently your radeon's bios "more compatible" with OS X. as ATY_Init.kext mess with bios related stuff.

as for res change I notice some glitch - SL hangs for about 2 minutes but then changes it after all. same effect on dvi and hdmi.

apparently your radeon's bios "more compatible" with OS X. as ATY_Init.kext mess with bios related stuff.

as for res change I notice some glitch - SL hangs for about 2 minutes but then changes it after all. same effect on dvi and hdmi.

I had not used ATY_Init.kext. Also, I found ATY_Init is a 32-bit only kext, and my SL is running 64-bit.

Regarding resolution change, it is strange, because my machine boots with 1920x1200 on Chameleon, and then when OSX is booted, I need to log on using VNC and then set a different resolution. All based on 80, 75 or 72Hz do change instantly, whereas 60Hz ones put my monitor on standby. Even cleaning up display system settings files and letting OSX boots with what is on boot.plist, whatever are set @60Hz does not works.

Finally, I was unable to boot using HDMI to DVI cable. Only DVI worked.

Thanks anyway.

I restored all ATI kexts to stock 10.6.2, installed Chameleon 2.0 RC4, enabled GraphicsEnabler on com.apple.Boot.plist, and -- that made the trick -- installed LegacyATIRadeon4800.kext on /S/L/E. Guess what? I am posting this from my Snow Leopard. Got full video acceleration, QE/CI (transparent menu bar + ripples effect on Dashboard).

The only gotcha? Using my DVI cable, I am unable to use any resolution besides 1280x1024 based on 60Hz frequency (my monitor goes up to 1920x1200). 1280x1024 works only @75Hz. But it is enough to start polishing this install.

I can't wait to get home and try this. Did you install Chameleon on seperate partition or to Snow partition? Manually or install package? I have a perfect working Leo but I just built my girl a Snow Leo PC so now I am jealous.

I can't wait to get home and try this. Did you install Chameleon on seperate partition or to Snow partition? Manually or install package? I have a perfect working Leo but I just built my girl a Snow Leo PC so now I am jealous.

I have 2 disks in my machine: one with Win7, another one EFI formatted with Retail SL + 10.6.2 ComboUpdate and a 5Gb iAtkos, which I used only to install SL (you know, Core i5/i7 CPUs...). Anyway, Chameleon was installed on my SL partition. Chameleon /boot file is on SL partition, same as /Extra. It was a manual install, done after I was able to at least boot SL in single mode.

Major issues in here were 2: 1) LegacyATI4800Controller.kext must be on /S/L/E and not on /Extras, or it will not work and 2) somehow I can't use any 60Hz based resolution. Otherwise, system is perfect -- OK, still have a thing or two to work on, but graphically speaking, it is flawless.

I had not used ATY_Init.kext. Also, I found ATY_Init is a 32-bit only kext, and my SL is running 64-bit.

Regarding resolution change, it is strange, because my machine boots with 1920x1200 on Chameleon, and then when OSX is booted, I need to log on using VNC and then set a different resolution. All based on 80, 75 or 72Hz do change instantly, whereas 60Hz ones put my monitor on standby. Even cleaning up display system settings files and letting OSX boots with what is on boot.plist, whatever are set @60Hz does not works.

Thanks anyway.

thanks guys, I think my card is different since I have the Dual DVI port Sapphire HD4850 card. Weird thing is I have it working great on 10.5.8, will full video, and multiple resolutions. Does anyone know if changing the com.apple.Boot.plist file in the extra/extensions folder from 1024x768x32 to 1900x1200x32 will work? I'll keep trying other things. for anyone curious I used 7_radeon_hd_48X0_drivers.pkg and the "Patched framebuffers for 48X0 and 3870x2.pkg" to get it going in 10.5.8. I have two 24" monitors in 1920x1200 (with my desktop extended on one of them. not mirrored).

I have 2 disks in my machine: one with Win7, another one EFI formatted with Retail SL + 10.6.2 ComboUpdate and a 5Gb iAtkos, which I used only to install SL (you know, Core i5/i7 CPUs...). Anyway, Chameleon was installed on my SL partition. Chameleon /boot file is on SL partition, same as /Extra. It was a manual install, done after I was able to at least boot SL in single mode.

Major issues in here were 2: 1) LegacyATI4800Controller.kext must be on /S/L/E and not on /Extras, or it will not work and 2) somehow I can't use any 60Hz based resolution. Otherwise, system is perfect -- OK, still have a thing or two to work on, but graphically speaking, it is flawless.

That sucks. My monitor does my max res @ 60hz only. Will Snow force res?

Even cleaning up display system settings files and letting OSX boots with what is on boot.plist, whatever are set @60Hz does not works.

hrm... I have no such symptoms - I can boot in any combination of dvi/hdmi and cables. at least consider to try to boot with 32-bit kernel and use ATY_Init.kext.

have you tried to set desired resolution@freq in com.apple.Boot.plist both Chameleon and system one?

thanks guys, I think my card is different since I have the Dual DVI port Sapphire HD4850 card. Weird thing is I have it working great on 10.5.8, will full video, and multiple resolutions. Does anyone know if changing the com.apple.Boot.plist file in the extra/extensions folder from 1024x768x32 to 1900x1200x32 will work? I'll keep trying other things. for anyone curious I used 7_radeon_hd_48X0_drivers.pkg and the "Patched framebuffers for 48X0 and 3870x2.pkg" to get it going in 10.5.8. I have two 24" monitors in 1920x1200 (with my desktop extended on one of them. not mirrored).

Usually Dual DVI cards works the same as non-standard ones. Try to swap DVI ports before booting OSX and see if you have any image. Also, suggest you to roll back any changes and start from scratch with clean drivers, as 4850 is an official OSX video adapter.

That sucks. My monitor does my max res @ 60hz only. Will Snow force res?

No idea, but mine have all high resolutions @ 60Hz only. I may SwitchResX, heard we may set 59Hz and it should work exactly as 60Hz.

hrm... I have no such symptoms - I can boot in any combination of dvi/hdmi and cables. at least consider to try to boot with 32-bit kernel and use ATY_Init.kext.

have you tried to set desired resolution@freq in com.apple.Boot.plist both Chameleon and system one?

Yes, resolutions are the same on Boot.plist and system properties page. I will try to boot my hack with HDMI cable plugged to DVI, as I just tried swapping cables after OSX was already running.

Cheers all.

• 1 month later...
Your device id is 0x94421002

3. Add LegacyATI4800Controller.kext to Extra/Extensions using Kext Helper b7.

Please : WHERE to add ? I don't have access to the system yet. I can access USB installation only.

4. Rebuild caches using Kext Utility.

Same problem

5. Reboot with -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes and if you get kernel panic in ATIRadeonX2000.kext reboot again with -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes -pci1 PciRoot=1

How to reboot with "-v"

option, please, what taht means. I'm rebooting from the USV, then it starts witl a cjoice b/w hard disks..

Thanks

I was able to get my Sapphire 4850 512mb (DVI/VGA/HDMI) to work! It has QE enabled with the cool ripples in dashboard!

I installed a fresh SL and updated it to 10.6.2.

I followed Alex HQuest directions above by adding the ATI Legacy Controller to S/L/E using kext utility. I also added netkas 10.6 EFI and my motherboard specific DSDT using TonyMacOSx86 [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] installer. (I have the GA-P55-UD3L bios version 3 motherboard)

I was able to get the video to work only with the VGA cable. I tried the HDMI cable, but it did not work. I can get a resolution up to 1920x1440 at 60Hz.

Now I have 10.6.2 with a kick-ass resolution - (I have the I-inc 28" monitor.)

:whistle: YAAAAY