• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Cobberman

Cobberman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been following this thread as well as another related one concerning OS X on the newest Pine Trail processors. I realize that the GMA 3150 integrated graphics is not supported in OS X and is the biggest issue to overcome. The OP of this thread says he/she has the HD version which would have shipped with the Broadcom Crystal HD mini pcie card, correct? I've heard about people using these cards in their boxee appletv setups with success and this link suggests that there are graphic driver support for these cards, only under 10.4 and 10.5. If it eventually has 10.6 support as well, does that make hackintoshing the HD version easier?

carlisle_united

carlisle_united

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I used the NetbookCD image that was linked above (originally meant for the Dell Mini series, I believe, but it worked for me). Burn that to disk, boot it, when it finishes coming up, hit F5 and wait for "Mac OS X Install DVD" to appear, highlight it, and then enter:

mach_kernel -v arch=x86_32

(The "arch=x86_32" flag seems to be required, since the version of Chameleon on there seems to want to boot the 64-bit kernel on 64-bit capable machines, except that it won't actually start it; the "-v" is for good measure, as occasionally it locks hard for me just before starting launchd, and I haven't figured out exactly why.)

Assuming everything went right, you should land at the OS X installer.

The process should be almost exactly what's here: http://osx.mechdrew....ides/nbi3.shtml

The minimum requirements listed there are all good, except that you can ignore the part about the GMA 500/950 - the system will boot in VESA mode for the system, which runs the GUI.

Booting for install:
- Make sure your DVD drive is plugged in, with the NetbookCD disk in the drive before you power up. (It needs to be in the drive before startup - otherwise, the BIOS won't recognize it as a bootable disk, and will skip to trying to boot the internal HD instead.) You also need an external mouse: the trackpad will work for pointing, but the buttons are non-functional.
- At the HP logo screen, hit ESC to get to the BIOS boot menu. Hit F9 to get to the startup disk options, and choose your DVD drive to boot from.
- Once the NetbookCD loads, you'll get a list of available drives to boot from. Eject NetbookCD and put in your OS X DVD. Hit F5 and wait a moment; "Mac OS X Install DVD" should appear.
- Highlight "Mac OS X Install DVD" (hit the right arrow as necessary); then type "mach_kernel -v arch=x86_32". Some messages will appear about files being loaded, and then you should start seeing messages from the OS X kernel. It might take a few minutes for the whole thing to finish loading. To make sure it hasn't locked up (and therefore you need to reboot and try again), wait for "ApplePS2Keyboard" to show that it's loaded (you'll see messages about it detecting a keyboard and a trackpad), and then try tapping the Caps Lock key; if it's LED doesn't turn on, it's frozen and needs to be rebooted.

Installing:
The procedure is as listed under "Installing Mac OS X" on the linked page. At the end, it *will* claim that the install failed - you can safely ignore this message. The failure is caused by OS X not being able to tell it's firmware that it should boot from the installed drive, which doesn't matter because we still have to install the bootloader. Before you reboot, put the NetbookCD disk back into the drive.

First boot:
- Boot from the CD as was done under "Booting" above. When you get to the NetbookCD disk selection screen, choose the disk you installed OS X to and enter "mach_kernel -v arch=x86_32". It will boot off of the internal drive and bring up the OS X setup screen; the video won't play because there isn't an audio device as far as the system is concerned, yet.
- Follow the instructions in step 4; ignore the complaints from NetbookInstaller regarding there not being a set of extensions for your machine, and install the general extensions. No need to generate a DSDT.aml file - the system's DSDT works fine.
- Before rebooting, edit /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist:
Find "<key>Kernel Flags</key>"; place "arch=x86_32 -v" into the "<string>" tag beneath it.
- Reboot.

Other setup:
For audio:
- Install VoodooHDA.kext into /Extra/AdditionalExtensions. and then run /Extra/UpdateExtra.app. Reboot and audio should work.
For wireless:
- Get IO80211Family.kext, Apple80211.framework from 10.5.x (I grabbed these from a 10.5 install DVD - the former in /System/Library/Extensions, the latter in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks).
- Install IO80211Family.kext to /Extra/AdditionalExtensions. Edit /Extra/AdditionalExtensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleAirPortBrcm43xx.kext/Contents/Info.plist to add "pci14e4,4315" to the list of supported devices (look for "pci14e4,43", and add a similar line with the previous PCI ID to it).
- Run /Extra/UpdateExtra.app, and then reboot. On startup, you should see a message stating that it found your wireless adapter.
- To connect, run (from your 10.5 copy of Apple80211.framework) Apple80211.framework/Resources/airport '-I<your SSID>'. The AirPort control panel & menu extra seem to be useless - or at least, I haven't made them work correctly; the commandline tool there will get you connected, though.

Graphics acceleration can be gotten, somewhat, with the tweaks mentioned by dokuroishi, but the mouse cursor will be screwy (it appears as a block about 240x240, looking rather like uninitialized memory).

Sleep doesn't seem to work quite right - the system will attempt to sleep, but the only thing that gets powered down is the CPU; the display will turn to a faded sort of appearance (much like OS X on an actual Mac looks like when it's coming out of hibernate), but that's all I've gotten it to do. To get back out of that state, hit the power switch, at which point it'll instantly come back to being usable. However, the wireless doesn't come back up.

How did you get the Graphics to "work"?
I tried the tweeking but i just wont work...

spider00rr

spider00rr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
I just got a hp mini 210 -1010NR from office depot. I tryed to install snow leopard with the usb flash drive and when I booted up the mini I selected the usb drive and saw the loader for os x. It has a status bar that went backwards and then it was a blank grey screen. It stayed on the blank screen forever so I restarted and pushed enter when the loader was counting down and I got I like 4 drives to choose from . one being the snow leopard so I selected that one and I was stuck at the grey screen forever again. What am I doing wrong ? I am now making a usb HD for leopard 10.5 to see if that will work.

spider00rr

spider00rr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
I got this to install but when It was installing it was at like 11min and I walked away now I have a blank grey screen and it is taking long to load is it frozen or just loading I tryed to restart and used the usb HD to boot and selected the osx partition I installed on and I get the same grey screen what should I do ?

spider00rr

spider00rr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
got thru everything and reboted and I got use forcewake=y to override now what do I do ?

spider00rr

spider00rr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
got eveything working but wifi I can't get the to enable

JJ Supa Fly

JJ Supa Fly

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

got eveything working but wifi I can't get the to enable

Unfortunately, that seems to be the big hang up with this machine. I've been trying to get wifi working on mine for a couple of weeks and have not had much luck.

Some folks have suggested that the .kext from Leopard can be used in SL assuming you run in 32 bit. I have not been able to get wifi working on this machine in either Leopard or SL. Kind of frustrating unfortunately. The Mini 210 has an Atheros AR9285 wireless card which does not seem to have any drivers that work in SL...lots of posts on this and other forums about folks trying to solve the same problem.

I'd love for someone to prove me wrong, but I have not found a good solution for wireless for this machine. I haven't completely given up yet, but I'm pretty close. I have a Dell Mini 10v on the way which may replace this machine. It's sad, becuase I do like the look and feel of the HP.

spider00rr

spider00rr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
when I go to device manager it tells me I have a broadcom 802.11G is that something different than you ? I wonder if I should take this back and get a eee pc 1005h at best buy or the dell 1012 at sams club.

spider00rr

spider00rr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
I just installed 10.5 and wifi works but no web cam or graphics yet

JJ Supa Fly

JJ Supa Fly

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

when I go to device manager it tells me I have a broadcom 802.11G is that something different than you ? I wonder if I should take this back and get a eee pc 1005h at best buy or the dell 1012 at sams club.

I think that you do have a different model than I do. I got mine at Costco and it includes a 802.11 b/g/n wifi card which it seems there is no support for. There have been folk on other boards that have swapped out the wifi card on the mini 210 for one that is supported but that seems kind of silly to me.

I did get a Dell mini 10v which took about an hour to get up and running with no issues. I like the design, look and feel of the 210 more than the Dell, but sadly is just isn't going to do what I need it to so it's going to have to go back....plus the Dell is $249 which is about $100 cheaper than the 210.

If you go the Dell route be careful which model you get. The mini 10V is the model you want. There is a mini 10 that does not work....I believe that the 1012 that you mentioned will not work either. I'd buy direct from Dell.com to make sure that you get the 10V.

spider00rr

spider00rr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
what other fourms are there that i can find info on the mini 210. I wonder if I can even return this hp mini to office depot I only bought it a week ago but I do have the same windows 7 starter installed on it. I really just care about the mac os I need that to work more than the pc side

spider00rr

spider00rr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
I saw this page about the graphics does this help anyone ? http://blog.thestevo...ow-leopard.html I downgraded to 10.5.8 I have everything working except the graphics and web cam. I rather have snow leopard since the graphics work better in that system and I can use my web cam. but the main problem I have is getting wifi. the weird thing is the wifi works flawlessly in 10.5.x. I don't really care what system I use I just want everything to work

louden

louden

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Now we need to know where the EFI is at. So let’s run:

diskutil list

This sounds like Lemurian. I have to say, after doing this a couple of times on other minis - sticking these custom kexts in the EFI partition may be elegant, but it's not very practical. When (and it will happen) you need to restore your device from a backup, it's much easier to restore a single partition than it is to go through and recreate the EFI boot partition and restore what's in there, as well as what's on your device.

my .02.

peterbonavita

peterbonavita

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Bought a 210-1085NR (Blue!) last week, and installed 10.6 on it via the USB stick/Snow Leopard Retail disc/NetbookMaker method.

Here are some issues I'm having so far:
-Had to use NetbookMaker 0.8.4; 0.8.3 would kp when trying to load the installer. I put a fresh copy of the DVD onto the stick, then ran 0.8.4, and it booted right away.
-Keyboard and trackpad worked right away, but the buttons still won't work.
-WiFi/Airport not working at all. Won't recognize the card or anything. Opened her up and the card says it's a BCM 94312 HM
-Audio seems to not be working either.

Playing with it some more today, will update if I get anything going.

peterbonavita

peterbonavita

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Bought a 210-1085NR (Blue!) last week, and installed 10.6 on it via the USB stick/Snow Leopard Retail disc/NetbookMaker method.
Playing with it some more today, will update if I get anything going.

Quick update-
Chickened out today and started over with a 10.5.1 install via the same method.
-NetbookMaker 0.8.4 wouldn't recognize my USB Leopard Installer, had to use 0.8.3.
-Installer would hang on the grey Apple logo, so switched to 32-bit mode "-legacy" at the Darwin screen
-WiFi now works like a dream
-Trackpad AND BUTTONS seem to be working fine
-Audio still not working, but I'm going to try some Kexts later today, will report back if I get it working

spider00rr

spider00rr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
did you get the graphics to work in 10.5 like can you use your web cam ?

peterbonavita

peterbonavita

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

did you get the graphics to work in 10.5 like can you use your web cam ?

Webcam worked in 10.5.1, but when I did the stock 10.5.8 upgrade, it stopped working.
Video (youtube, etc.) will play back for a few seconds, and then freeze.
Disc images won't mount in 10.5.1 though, but work fine in 10.5.8.

Might wipe it again and try dual-boot 10.6/Win7 today.

spider00rr

spider00rr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Webcam worked in 10.5.1, but when I did the stock 10.5.8 upgrade, it stopped working.
Video (youtube, etc.) will play back for a few seconds, and then freeze.
Disc images won't mount in 10.5.1 though, but work fine in 10.5.8.

Might wipe it again and try dual-boot 10.6/Win7 today.

see I have done the 10.6 and everything works except wifi. if I could get wifi working then I would be set

peterbonavita

peterbonavita

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

see I have done the 10.6 and everything works except wifi. if I could get wifi working then I would be set

After bumping my head against the WiFi/Snow Leopard problem for two weeks or so, I broke down and bought a MacBook WiFi card on eBay for like $20. Popped it in the PCIE slot, and now it works like a charm.

spider00rr

spider00rr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
yeah i bought one from the hp 1000. now if there is a way to get sleep and QE/CI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy