67 replies to this topic

Insanely Mac

Insanely Mac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everyone,

Im new here so sorry if I am posting in the wrong section of the forum. I just wanted to know if there are any support for the new HP Mini 210 HD series for OSX install.
HP Mini 210 HD

Specifications:
Intel® Atom™ Processor N450 (1.66GHz, 512KB) with Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3150
1GB DDR2 System Memory (1 Dimm)
160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
10.1" diagonal HD LED HP BrightView Infinity Widescreen Display (1366 x 768)
HP Mini Webcam
Wireless-G Card
3 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader
Accessible memory slots: 1
Maximum Memory Expansion: 1GB
Ports: 3 USB Ports, RJ-45, VGA

I notice other netbooks can use more than 1gb of memory, if this netbook is able to run OSX, will it be slow? I will only be using this for basic computing and on the go online surfing, note taking, chatting. I already have a Mac Book Pro 13'' Unibody 2.56ghz, I just want something smaller for on the go purposes.

T.LEE

T.LEE

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I also wanna know. Was going to buy the mini 110 HD version, but now would love to get this new 210.

DOHANstinkt

DOHANstinkt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
My Father bought his mini 210 yesterday ...
I think i will try to install OS X this ore next weekand.
I will post how it runs and so on .
My English sucks xD

EDIT:
I successfully boot the installation from a USBstick
At the moment its installing.
Mouse and KeyBoard are not working =(

EDIT2:
I successfully installed Snow Leopard =)
Mouse and KeyBoard working with PS2 drivers =)
Webcam works =)

No Ethernet =(
No Wlan =(
No Graphics =(
No Sond =(
But i think its possibility to fix some of the problems ...

EDIT3:
At the moment ther is no way to get the Graphics working ...

Guest: darklocust_*

Guest: darklocust_*
  • Guests
Have you tried the X3100 drivers?

Edit: I guess it uses X3150 drivers so no go. I was thinking of getting this netbook.

chris@sightworks.com

chris@sightworks.com

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
10.6 retail seems to work on the 210 (HP Mini 210-1000), with the following issues that I'm encountering:

* No accelerated graphics on the GMA3100. (System Profiler reports it as a GMA950, which makes sense, since they're supposedly pretty similar.)
* The wireless is refusing to work. (BCM4315, which should be supported with tweaking by AppleAirPortBcm43xx.kext, but it isn't coming up; there are apparently fixes for this, but I have yet to find one).
* The trackpad doesn't work during installation. Well, ok, it "works" in that you can move the pointer, but you can't actually click: the buttons are ignored, until you can get into System Preferences and enable tap-to-click; the buttons remain non-responsive after that, though. :huh:
* Audio works, with the VoodooHDA.kext driver. Volume control seems like it might be a bit problematic, but I'll be figuring that one out.
* The wired ethernet works with RealtekR1000.kext.
* I had to put "arch=x86_32" into /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist ("Kernel Flags") order to get it to start at all; the N450 supports 64 bit extensions, and the bootloader that I'm using (from NetbookCD - Chameleon 2.0rc3) recognizes that, and tries booting into 64-bit mode, which causes it to go boom.

I haven't tried the VGA output on it, so I don't know if that works or not.

As well, the maximum memory is actually at least 2GB, as that's what I've got installed in mine. Perhaps it's a case of Windows 7 Starter not allowing more than 1GB, or HP not being able to advertise it because of Win7 Starter.

The card reader works without a hitch; a USB bluetooth adapter will be picked up fine (I picked up a Targus ultra-mini bluetooth adapter, model ACB10US according to the package).

Update:
* The wireless module works; it does, however, require that you grab a copy of Apple80211.framework from 10.5, it would seem. The GUI configuration for it doesn't seem to want to work (so no menu extra or System Preferences bits - :) ) but using the commandline utility, it associates just fine.
* With the enabler script suggested by dokuroishi, AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext will load - but the mouse pointer looks like it's stored off in uninitialized memory, so it's either accelerated graphics with a bad mouse pointer or non-accelerated graphics with a reasonable cursor at the moment. The unaccelerated graphics, though, don't seem too terrible (though it might not do so well for things like watching videos, of course).
* The audio works - with the caveat that it might cause a hard lockup during the system startup; once it's started up, it seems to be working fine. If the driver is loaded after the system is running, instead of during startup, it seemed to work without a hitch, so perhaps I might write a quick startup script that loads VoodooHDA.kext during the normal startup phase instead of as one of the items in the /Extra/Extensions.mkext archive.

Update 2:
* The Airport stuff works in System Preferences, at least, assuming you have the preference pane from 10.5 installed (/System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Apple80211Monitor.bundle), and you start System Preferences in 32-bit mode -- in 64-bit mode, it recognizes an Airport adapter, but refuses to configure it (it's insistent that it's power state is "Off"). Easiest route here is to check off "Open in 32-bit mode" in the Get Info window on /Applications/System Preferences.app. I haven't gotten the Menu Extra working yet, but I suspect that's some minor tweaking - maybe getting SystemUIServer running in 32-bit mode, to use the 10.5 AirPort menu extra.

T.LEE

T.LEE

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I was going to buy a mini 110 just because 210 was not known to support osx86, but now I guess I will buy a 210.

10.6 retail seems to work on the 210 (HP Mini 210-1000), with the following issues that I'm encountering:

* No accelerated graphics on the GMA3100. (System Profiler reports it as a GMA950, which makes sense, since they're supposedly pretty similar.)
* The wireless is refusing to work. (BCM4315, which should be supported with tweaking by AppleAirPortBcm43xx.kext, but it isn't coming up; there are apparently fixes for this, but I have yet to find one).
* The trackpad doesn't work during installation. Well, ok, it "works" in that you can move the pointer, but you can't actually click: the buttons are ignored, until you can get into System Preferences and enable tap-to-click; the buttons remain non-responsive after that, though. :)
* Audio works, with the VoodooHDA.kext driver. Volume control seems like it might be a bit problematic, but I'll be figuring that one out.
* The wired ethernet works with RealtekR1000.kext.
* I had to put "arch=x86_32" into /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist ("Kernel Flags") order to get it to start at all; the N450 supports 64 bit extensions, and the bootloader that I'm using (from NetbookCD - Chameleon 2.0rc3) recognizes that, and tries booting into 64-bit mode, which causes it to go boom.

I haven't tried the VGA output on it, so I don't know if that works or not.

As well, the maximum memory is actually at least 2GB, as that's what I've got installed in mine. Perhaps it's a case of Windows 7 Starter not allowing more than 1GB, or HP not being able to advertise it because of Win7 Starter.

The card reader works without a hitch; a USB bluetooth adapter will be picked up fine (I picked up a Targus ultra-mini bluetooth adapter, model ACB10US according to the package).

dokuroishi

dokuroishi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Sorry, I'm not good at English, and if this is useless.

Device ID of GMA 950 in real MacBook is 27A2, and the ID of GMA 950 in many netbooks is 27AE.
So, rewriting the ID, 27A2 to 27AE in "AppleIntelGMA950.kext" and "AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext" is the way to activate GMA 950 in netbooks. And "patch27ae.command" is the Terminal Script for this way (exactly, this script makes copy of these kexts renamed "27aeAppleIntel--".).

Therefore, the same way might make activate GMA 3150, which is reported as GMA 950.
According to Wikipedia, device ID of GMA 3150 is A011 or A012. So, modifying "patch27ae.command", for example, "27AE8086" to "A0118086", "\x86\x80\xAE\x27" to "\x86\x80\xA0\x11" (or "27AE8086" to "A0128086", "\x86\x80\xAE\x27" to "\x86\x80\xA0\x12"), and using this script might be the way to activate GMA3150.

Edit:
and need "device-properties" string in com.apple.Boot.plist, or Natit.kext, maybe.

Shourijo

Shourijo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Hey, i got a new HP Mini 210 a week ago, and i just wanted to know, how you managed it, to install Mac OS X on the machine... I found a Bootloader ISO that worked with the AHCI Mode, because the BIOS on my HP Mini hasn't a "Sata Native Mode" option to disable AHCI. So i was able to boot the Bootloader, but when i insert the ideneb v1.3 DVD i can't really highlight the DVD because there is only something like this: "<5"...
Its weird. And even when i try to install from a retail Leopard DVD it won't work. When i try to start the install from the Boot Manager there pops up something that says: "can't find mach_kernel" or something like that. How you managed it? Hopefully you have a solution for me (Sorry for my bad english)

Best regards, Shourijo

chris@sightworks.com

chris@sightworks.com

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hey, i got a new HP Mini 210 a week ago, and i just wanted to know, how you managed it, to install Mac OS X on the machine... I found a Bootloader ISO that worked with the AHCI Mode, because the BIOS on my HP Mini hasn't a "Sata Native Mode" option to disable AHCI. So i was able to boot the Bootloader, but when i insert the ideneb v1.3 DVD i can't really highlight the DVD because there is only something like this: "<5"...
Its weird. And even when i try to install from a retail Leopard DVD it won't work. When i try to start the install from the Boot Manager there pops up something that says: "can't find mach_kernel" or something like that. How you managed it? Hopefully you have a solution for me (Sorry for my bad english)

Best regards, Shourijo

I used the NetbookCD image that was linked above (originally meant for the Dell Mini series, I believe, but it worked for me). Burn that to disk, boot it, when it finishes coming up, hit F5 and wait for "Mac OS X Install DVD" to appear, highlight it, and then enter:

mach_kernel -v arch=x86_32

(The "arch=x86_32" flag seems to be required, since the version of Chameleon on there seems to want to boot the 64-bit kernel on 64-bit capable machines, except that it won't actually start it; the "-v" is for good measure, as occasionally it locks hard for me just before starting launchd, and I haven't figured out exactly why.)

Assuming everything went right, you should land at the OS X installer.

The process should be almost exactly what's here: http://osx.mechdrew....ides/nbi3.shtml

The minimum requirements listed there are all good, except that you can ignore the part about the GMA 500/950 - the system will boot in VESA mode for the system, which runs the GUI.

Booting for install:
- Make sure your DVD drive is plugged in, with the NetbookCD disk in the drive before you power up. (It needs to be in the drive before startup - otherwise, the BIOS won't recognize it as a bootable disk, and will skip to trying to boot the internal HD instead.) You also need an external mouse: the trackpad will work for pointing, but the buttons are non-functional.
- At the HP logo screen, hit ESC to get to the BIOS boot menu. Hit F9 to get to the startup disk options, and choose your DVD drive to boot from.
- Once the NetbookCD loads, you'll get a list of available drives to boot from. Eject NetbookCD and put in your OS X DVD. Hit F5 and wait a moment; "Mac OS X Install DVD" should appear.
- Highlight "Mac OS X Install DVD" (hit the right arrow as necessary); then type "mach_kernel -v arch=x86_32". Some messages will appear about files being loaded, and then you should start seeing messages from the OS X kernel. It might take a few minutes for the whole thing to finish loading. To make sure it hasn't locked up (and therefore you need to reboot and try again), wait for "ApplePS2Keyboard" to show that it's loaded (you'll see messages about it detecting a keyboard and a trackpad), and then try tapping the Caps Lock key; if it's LED doesn't turn on, it's frozen and needs to be rebooted.

Installing:
The procedure is as listed under "Installing Mac OS X" on the linked page. At the end, it *will* claim that the install failed - you can safely ignore this message. The failure is caused by OS X not being able to tell it's firmware that it should boot from the installed drive, which doesn't matter because we still have to install the bootloader. Before you reboot, put the NetbookCD disk back into the drive.

First boot:
- Boot from the CD as was done under "Booting" above. When you get to the NetbookCD disk selection screen, choose the disk you installed OS X to and enter "mach_kernel -v arch=x86_32". It will boot off of the internal drive and bring up the OS X setup screen; the video won't play because there isn't an audio device as far as the system is concerned, yet.
- Follow the instructions in step 4; ignore the complaints from NetbookInstaller regarding there not being a set of extensions for your machine, and install the general extensions. No need to generate a DSDT.aml file - the system's DSDT works fine.
- Before rebooting, edit /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist:
Find "<key>Kernel Flags</key>"; place "arch=x86_32 -v" into the "<string>" tag beneath it.
- Reboot.

Other setup:
For audio:
- Install VoodooHDA.kext into /Extra/AdditionalExtensions. and then run /Extra/UpdateExtra.app. Reboot and audio should work.
For wireless:
- Get IO80211Family.kext, Apple80211.framework from 10.5.x (I grabbed these from a 10.5 install DVD - the former in /System/Library/Extensions, the latter in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks).
- Install IO80211Family.kext to /Extra/AdditionalExtensions. Edit /Extra/AdditionalExtensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleAirPortBrcm43xx.kext/Contents/Info.plist to add "pci14e4,4315" to the list of supported devices (look for "pci14e4,43", and add a similar line with the previous PCI ID to it).
- Run /Extra/UpdateExtra.app, and then reboot. On startup, you should see a message stating that it found your wireless adapter.
- To connect, run (from your 10.5 copy of Apple80211.framework) Apple80211.framework/Resources/airport '-I<your SSID>'. The AirPort control panel & menu extra seem to be useless - or at least, I haven't made them work correctly; the commandline tool there will get you connected, though.

Graphics acceleration can be gotten, somewhat, with the tweaks mentioned by dokuroishi, but the mouse cursor will be screwy (it appears as a block about 240x240, looking rather like uninitialized memory).

Sleep doesn't seem to work quite right - the system will attempt to sleep, but the only thing that gets powered down is the CPU; the display will turn to a faded sort of appearance (much like OS X on an actual Mac looks like when it's coming out of hibernate), but that's all I've gotten it to do. To get back out of that state, hit the power switch, at which point it'll instantly come back to being usable. However, the wireless doesn't come back up.

JJ Supa Fly

JJ Supa Fly

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I used the NetbookCD image that was linked above (originally meant for the Dell Mini series, I believe, but it worked for me). Burn that to disk, boot it, when it finishes coming up, hit F5 and wait for "Mac OS X Install DVD" to appear, highlight it, and then enter:

mach_kernel -v arch=x86_32

(The "arch=x86_32" flag seems to be required, since the version of Chameleon on there seems to want to boot the 64-bit kernel on 64-bit capable machines, except that it won't actually start it; the "-v" is for good measure, as occasionally it locks hard for me just before starting launchd, and I haven't figured out exactly why.)

Assuming everything went right, you should land at the OS X installer.

The process should be almost exactly what's here: http://osx.mechdrew....ides/nbi3.shtml

The minimum requirements listed there are all good, except that you can ignore the part about the GMA 500/950 - the system will boot in VESA mode for the system, which runs the GUI.

Booting for install:
- Make sure your DVD drive is plugged in, with the NetbookCD disk in the drive before you power up. (It needs to be in the drive before startup - otherwise, the BIOS won't recognize it as a bootable disk, and will skip to trying to boot the internal HD instead.) You also need an external mouse: the trackpad will work for pointing, but the buttons are non-functional.
- At the HP logo screen, hit ESC to get to the BIOS boot menu. Hit F9 to get to the startup disk options, and choose your DVD drive to boot from.
- Once the NetbookCD loads, you'll get a list of available drives to boot from. Eject NetbookCD and put in your OS X DVD. Hit F5 and wait a moment; "Mac OS X Install DVD" should appear.
- Highlight "Mac OS X Install DVD" (hit the right arrow as necessary); then type "mach_kernel -v arch=x86_32". Some messages will appear about files being loaded, and then you should start seeing messages from the OS X kernel. It might take a few minutes for the whole thing to finish loading. To make sure it hasn't locked up (and therefore you need to reboot and try again), wait for "ApplePS2Keyboard" to show that it's loaded (you'll see messages about it detecting a keyboard and a trackpad), and then try tapping the Caps Lock key; if it's LED doesn't turn on, it's frozen and needs to be rebooted.

Installing:
The procedure is as listed under "Installing Mac OS X" on the linked page. At the end, it *will* claim that the install failed - you can safely ignore this message. The failure is caused by OS X not being able to tell it's firmware that it should boot from the installed drive, which doesn't matter because we still have to install the bootloader. Before you reboot, put the NetbookCD disk back into the drive.

First boot:
- Boot from the CD as was done under "Booting" above. When you get to the NetbookCD disk selection screen, choose the disk you installed OS X to and enter "mach_kernel -v arch=x86_32". It will boot off of the internal drive and bring up the OS X setup screen; the video won't play because there isn't an audio device as far as the system is concerned, yet.
- Follow the instructions in step 4; ignore the complaints from NetbookInstaller regarding there not being a set of extensions for your machine, and install the general extensions. No need to generate a DSDT.aml file - the system's DSDT works fine.
- Before rebooting, edit /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist:
Find "<key>Kernel Flags</key>"; place "arch=x86_32 -v" into the "<string>" tag beneath it.
- Reboot.

Other setup:
For audio:
- Install VoodooHDA.kext into /Extra/AdditionalExtensions. and then run /Extra/UpdateExtra.app. Reboot and audio should work.
For wireless:
- Get IO80211Family.kext, Apple80211.framework from 10.5.x (I grabbed these from a 10.5 install DVD - the former in /System/Library/Extensions, the latter in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks).
- Install IO80211Family.kext to /Extra/AdditionalExtensions. Edit /Extra/AdditionalExtensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleAirPortBrcm43xx.kext/Contents/Info.plist to add "pci14e4,4315" to the list of supported devices (look for "pci14e4,43", and add a similar line with the previous PCI ID to it).
- Run /Extra/UpdateExtra.app, and then reboot. On startup, you should see a message stating that it found your wireless adapter.
- To connect, run (from your 10.5 copy of Apple80211.framework) Apple80211.framework/Resources/airport '-I<your SSID>'. The AirPort control panel & menu extra seem to be useless - or at least, I haven't made them work correctly; the commandline tool there will get you connected, though.

Graphics acceleration can be gotten, somewhat, with the tweaks mentioned by dokuroishi, but the mouse cursor will be screwy (it appears as a block about 240x240, looking rather like uninitialized memory).

Sleep doesn't seem to work quite right - the system will attempt to sleep, but the only thing that gets powered down is the CPU; the display will turn to a faded sort of appearance (much like OS X on an actual Mac looks like when it's coming out of hibernate), but that's all I've gotten it to do. To get back out of that state, hit the power switch, at which point it'll instantly come back to being usable. However, the wireless doesn't come back up.

Great Tutorial Chris!! I'm going to try this in the AM. One quick question however. I don't have a CD/DVD Drive for my mini 210. Would this work by booting off of an external USB HD? I've burned diskimages of Snow Leopard and netbookCD onto a external USB Drive. If I just boot from a USB drive would the install process work pretty much the same as if I were using a DVD?

Thanks again for your tutorial. I appreciate any input.

Shourijo

Shourijo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

This step don't work for me... the DVD don't appear. There only appears a HDD symbol with the text "5>" under it and i can't highlight it. Any solution?

Edit: I've tried a retail Mac OS X CD now, and the install Ssymbol appears, but when i hit it, i get a kernel panic (i think) and the computer say, that i have to reboot. What's that?

nelman

nelman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

My Father bought his mini 210 yesterday ...
I think i will try to install OS X this ore next weekand.
I will post how it runs and so on .
My English sucks xD

EDIT:
I successfully boot the installation from a USBstick
At the moment its installing.
Mouse and KeyBoard are not working =(

EDIT2:
I successfully installed Snow Leopard =)
Mouse and KeyBoard working with PS2 drivers =)
Webcam works =)

No Ethernet =(
No Wlan =(
No Graphics =(
No Sond =(
But i think its possibility to fix some of the problems ...

EDIT3:
At the moment ther is no way to get the Graphics working ...

YOU HAVE TO KEEP AT THIS - I THINK THE 210 IS THE TASTIEST MACHINE ON THE MARKET FROM A LOOK _ FEEL _ MONITOR RESOLUTION PERSPECTIVE -- I AM GOING TO GET ONE THE MINUTE YOU GUYS CRACK THE OS X OF IT ALL - SORRY I CANT BE A HELP MYSELF !

JJ Supa Fly

JJ Supa Fly

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Great Tutorial Chris!! I'm going to try this in the AM. One quick question however. I don't have a CD/DVD Drive for my mini 210. Would this work by booting off of an external USB HD? I've burned diskimages of Snow Leopard and netbookCD onto a external USB Drive. If I just boot from a USB drive would the install process work pretty much the same as if I were using a DVD?

Thanks again for your tutorial. I appreciate any input.

So I got all the way through the SnowLeopard intsall process as described. However, when I try to reboot the machine with the NetbookCD CD in my USB CD/DVD drive, I get an error message that indicates "No Bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

The DVD drive is powered and does spin the NetbookCD disc but that's it. Any thoughts or suggestions??

Thanks,
J

JJ Supa Fly

JJ Supa Fly

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

So I got all the way through the SnowLeopard intsall process as described. However, when I try to reboot the machine with the NetbookCD CD in my USB CD/DVD drive, I get an error message that indicates "No Bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

The DVD drive is powered and does spin the NetbookCD disc but that's it. Any thoughts or suggestions??

Thanks,
J

OK, so that was a dumb noob mistake. A simple ctrl+alt+del did the trick. D'oh!!

Sir TARDIS of pants

Sir TARDIS of pants

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Here's my guide to installing it on a 210.
My sister bought a 210 for Uni and wanted me to install hackintosh on it for her so I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to.

Seeing as there were many people who installed it on the 110 and were many guides, I figured it would have been a similar process to install it.

I was half right, yet half wrong.

I used this guide for the installation - http://mymacbookmini...c3-efi-vanilla/

Here’s what I did along the way.

Follow part 1.

At step 8, we branch off.
Edit the /Volumes/<thumb drive name>/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and change it from:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

to:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=x86_32</string>

Below in part 1 they talk about adding VoodooHDA and all that, do it.

Now you’ll be able to install OS X without any problems and it WILL NOT say it failed installing.

Follow part 2.

Step 1, you actually press the ESC button until you get into the mini bios screen.
Press F9 to select where you want to boot from, and choose the USB drive that has installation on it.

Continue at step 3.

After step 6, ignore the rest.

It’ll start up and will skip the movie as there isn’t a sound driver for it to look at, nor is there any graphics drivers.

Follow part 3... But at step 6,
DO NOT RESTART!!!

Make sure the thumb drive is still plugged in.

Bring a Terminal window up by pressing Command+Shift+U in Finder and launching the Terminal.

For all this, we need to be in sudo, so type in

sudo -s

Now we need to know where the EFI is at. So let’s run:

diskutil list

This is what it should come back with: (I did this on a genuine mac, so it might look a little different to yours.)
bash-3.2# diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
   0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*200.0 GB   disk0
   1:						EFI						 209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:				  Apple_HFS Mac HD				  199.7 GB   disk0s2
/dev/disk1
   #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
   0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*16.0 GB	disk1
   1:						EFI						 209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:				  Apple_HFS Mac OS X Install DVD	15.7 GB	disk1s2
bash-3.2#

So we can see here that the EFI is at disk0s1
Let’s make a folder in /Volumes/ to mount the EFI to so we’re able to do what we need to.

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

Now mount it. (Remember, change this to what location the EFI is at.)
mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

If it comes back and says “Invalid argument”, then you need to run fsck_hfs /dev/disk0s1
It’ll repair any problems with it.

Now it should be mounted, leave the terminal there and go to Finder
Go to /Volumes/<thumb drive with OS X install>/Extra/ and copy everything that’s there.
Now go back to /Volumes/EFI/Extra/ and -DELETE- everything that’s there and paste what we copied from the thumb drive.
Go back a folder to /Volumes/EFI/ and delete a file called “boot” if it exists.
If it isn’t there, that’s fine.

Go back to the terminal and run
cp /Volumes/<thumb drive with OS X install>/boot /Volumes/EFI/

We should now have the bootloader installed and restarting should be absolutely fine.
From here you can also edit the com.apple.Boot.plist from /Volumes/EFI/Extra/ and change:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=x86_32</string>

to:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=x64</string>

It seems that it can run in 64-bit mode, it just needs to be specified because without it, it doesn’t know what the architecture is because it has no bloody idea what the CPU is.
If you remove the line all together, it will chuck a hissy-fit and give you a nasty kernel panic.

-----------------------------

From here on, they talk about putting the drivers into the EFI to make it boot up with the drivers installed.
For me, this caused havock and made a kernel panic each time I tried. It was a dead-end road.

Instead, download kext helper from http://cheetha.net/
Move this to your Mini 210.

Download SL_PS2_HDA.zip and SL_PS2_Voodoo.zip from http://www.insanelym...howtopic=175372

Expand these. You’ll find that there are a few files that are the same.
That’s fine, but we won’t be adding duplicates.

Open kext helper and drag the files from their folders to the white space into the program.

Type in your password into the box below it and check the “advanced” tick box.

Down the bottom, there’ll be 4 buttons; “kext permissions”, “Make script”, “Tag cache rebuild” and “Run ->”

Click “kext permissions” and then hit run.
This should come back and say it was fine - If not, check your password.

Next, click on “Make script” then hit run.
This should also come back and say it ran fine.

Lastly, click “Tag cache rebuild” and then run.
Again, it should say it ran fine.

Close the program and try a restart.
Audio should work, but no volume control.
Synaptics Trackpad.prefPane will allow you to turn on tap-to-click and scrolling, etc... but it won’t stay on after a restart.

Still trying to find a way to get control over those two as well as wireless.
My sister has the 1015 which doesn’t have bluetooth either so I can’t write a guide for the bluetooth bit either. Sorry.

Let me know how this went and I’ll post with any fixes I have.

Shourijo

Shourijo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
I've tried to install Mac OS X again, this time with this bootloader: http://redirectingat.....es/nbi3.shtml .
I used a retail Mac OS X Snow Leopard DVD, but when i'm in the bootloader menu, insert the OS X DVD, hit F5 to show up the Mac OS X Install DVD and i select the DVD to boot, then nothing happens... No kernel panic oder something like that. Any solution? I'm very frustrated :( Nothing that i try seems to work.

Sir TARDIS of pants

Sir TARDIS of pants

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Try getting a 8 or 16 gb thumb drive and use this guide - http://mymacbookmini...-installer.html

revlimiter

revlimiter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Interesting.. Thanks for the info. I may have to pick up a 16gb usb stick.

JJ Supa Fly

JJ Supa Fly

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
So, I've been working on my Mini 210 based upon the info provided in this thread. All in all it's been a fairly smoothish process with a couple of minor hiccups.

So with that being said, here's where I'm at with my Mini 210 (by the way, I have model 210-1032CL otherwise known as the Costco Version)

-Wireless - still a bit wonky. I've followed the instructions for wireless that everyone has posted above and still no luck. My guess is that I'm doing something wrong, installing kext's, bundles, etc. in the wrong place or simply not entering the proper commands at the command line. Any additional guidance that anyone can provide is appreciated. I'm kind of at the end of my technical knowledge about how to get this running.
-Video - I've got the 3150 video adapter just as everyone else. I have not tried to run accelerated graphics as of yet. As expected, video above a certain resolution is a bit jerky. I can watch a video clip in preview mode in Finder, but if I go full screen, it gets jerky.
-Sleep mode - Again as described above, this was expected. The screen goes gray and the machine does not fall asleep.

These are the three big issues that I've encountered in order of importance as I see it. If we can get these three solved, we'll be golden and have nice little machines to work with.

BTW, installed Office 2008, iLife '09 (iPhoto, and iWeb only as I don't anticipate using GarageBand or iMovie on this machine...if they would even run) so far so good...both programs work like a charm.

J

BTW, a big thanks to everyone who has done the "heavy lifting" in getting these tutorials put together and all your effort in solving some of the issues that have come up. I wish I could contribute more, but this is my first OSX Netbook experience.

Shourijo

Shourijo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
I've already tried this "Sir TARDIS of pants" and it doesn't work for me, because everytime when I try to restore the formatted USB drive with the image (like in the tutorial) then a error message appears that says: "The source couldn't be confirmed. Not recognised." What's wrong here?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy