Potential i3 Build Possible?

82 posts in this topic

Hi all, first post and foray into the hackintosh world.

My needs:

Starting to do a lot of XCode development and to that end I now have a MacBook. However I also do a lot of Visual Studio PC development and the swapping between desktop and laptop is a pain. Unfortunately my desktop is based around a 4870X2 card which I believe is unsupported under OSX. I have decided to leave that box as a gaming rig.

So I need a box that is not too big (mATX) and can easily handle running VMWare Fusion with Win 7 and possible Linux. RAM is probably king.

Here is the proposed build, I have tried to build to a budget so I'll only spend more if it really makes sense (i.e easier to build SL on - is an i3 compatible for example??):

Novatech E-CUTE 910 Micro ATX Case (650w PSU)

si-nov-ecutb.jpg

Intel Core i3 530 2.93Ghz (Clarkdale) (Socket LGA1156)

2x Corsair XMS3 TwinX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Dual Channel Ki

Asus P7H55D-M Pro Intel H55 (Socket 1156) PCI-Express DDR3 Clarkdale Motherboard

+ PCI-E Gfx (think I have a nVidia 8800 GTS in the shed)

+ HDD ofc.

Does this all look compatible with a SL build?

Suggestions welcome.

Hi all, first post and foray into the hackintosh world.

My needs:

Starting to do a lot of XCode development and to that end I now have a MacBook. However I also do a lot of Visual Studio PC development and the swapping between desktop and laptop is a pain. Unfortunately my desktop is based around a 4870X2 card which I believe is unsupported under OSX. I have decided to leave that box as a gaming rig.

So I need a box that is not too big (mATX) and can easily handle running VMWare Fusion with Win 7 and possible Linux. RAM is probably king.

Here is the proposed build, I have tried to build to a budget so I'll only spend more if it really makes sense (i.e easier to build SL on - is an i3 compatible for example??):

Novatech E-CUTE 910 Micro ATX Case (650w PSU)

si-nov-ecutb.jpg

Intel Core i3 530 2.93Ghz (Clarkdale) (Socket LGA1156)

2x Corsair XMS3 TwinX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Dual Channel Ki

Asus P7H55D-M Pro Intel H55 (Socket 1156) PCI-Express DDR3 Clarkdale Motherboard

+ PCI-E Gfx (think I have a nVidia 8800 GTS in the shed)

+ HDD ofc.

Does this all look compatible with a SL build?

Suggestions welcome.

i3 just came out... like today. No one has tried this yet so its still pioneer territory. Could possibly work with one of the known supported P55 mobos.

I agree with Eric and if you do indeed decide to purchase it, get it from Ewiz (Assuming you're not in cali). They go for $124 - coupon (fresh15) for $15 off = $109 shipped!

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=I3-530BOX

If you want to save even more via 5% Bing CB (would make it $102.80), add item to cart, use the coupon, then go to ewiz (Superbiiz) via bing in a separate tab and checkout.

Edit: Site seems to be kinda slow, which is unusual, but I have ordered from them before and had nothing but positive results.

Cheers guys. As a first hackintosh build maybe I'd be best to stick to proven combos. Looks like it is back to trying to find a decently priced i5 chip in the UK or scale down to a Core 2. Or wait a while on someone to break the ground on an i3 -_-

Cheers guys. As a first hackintosh build maybe I'd be best to stick to proven combos. Looks like it is back to trying to find a decently priced i5 chip in the UK or scale down to a Core 2. Or wait a while on someone to break the ground on an i3 :(

I'm sure it will probably be less than a month before a guide comes out for i3. With the cheap prices and performance it delivers, they will be extremely popular among the osx86 crowd.

I don't understand all the hype over the new dual cores... They are not that impressive compared to the old dual cores and now since the price of the i7 quad cores is going down... (the i5 quad getting more and more interesting) ..

What I really want to see are the laptops with i3... they should be cheaper than the core2duo and the turbo boost mode seems nice.

I dunno, I was rather impressed with the new dual cores.

Considering the 3GHZ E8400 has been between $175 and $220 for the last year or so, and the 3.33ghz E8600 for $275-325 brand new CPUs that perform much faster for $100 or more less seems rather impressive to me, especially since they also come with on-die graphics capabilities and the nehalem/DDR3 architecture

I mean... Intel's new sub-$150 CPU rivals or beats their formerly highest clocked dual core at more than twice the price, uses newer/better components, and costs less for RAM, what's not to like?

I for one am glad I sold my E8400s for $140-150 over the past couple months, the E5200s i grabbed for $45ea should tide me over for at least a few months when overclocked :(

I'm pretty sure the E8xxx serie was a bit cheaper (but yes it was more than 100$)

The thing is today the quad core i5 and i7 seems like much better deals...

The entry level i3 seems like the only good option in the dual cores because if you look at the price of the i5 dual cores, they are about the same price as the i5 quad core... yes the dual cores are a bit faster (per core) but the quad still runs much faster.

I'm pretty sure the E8xxx serie was a bit cheaper (but yes it was more than 100$)

The thing is today the quad core i5 and i7 seems like much better deals...

The entry level i3 seems like the only good option in the dual cores because if you look at the price of the i5 dual cores, they are about the same price as the i5 quad core... yes the dual cores are a bit faster (per core) but the quad still runs much faster.

/agreed. Thats why I bought the i5-750.

maybe I was a lil bit high, but last fall the blowout sale prices for an E8400 were about $180, this spring was around $170, and the cheapest I've ever seen em recently has been $150-160

The E8200 was available at much cheaper, $120 was common, but it was just 2.66ghz after all.

I understand what you mean with the i5 pricing, the 750 does make an attractive deal for just $25 more than the 650, but 3.2ghz w turbo boost to 3.46ghz and hyperthreading on 2 cores with an on-die GPU isn't chopped liver. With that said, you are paying $60 more for just 270mhz and then another 260mhz of turbo boost when compared to the i3-530

It all seems like a rush to the bottom for Intel, but hey, I guess thats what the pro/commercial CPU launch (Gainsfield/etc...) in the next few months is for ;)

Just to update. In the UK at least it seems there is very little difference is between the i3 and i5 after all. The more available P55 mobos are cheaper than the H55 and so the difference in CPU cost diminishes.

I will be looking at an i5 750 / P55 build instead.

I believe what he's getting at is that both the motherboard chipset and the CPU architecture are an unknown quantity with OSX at this time. Being 5 days old, nobody here has one yet (well, a new member has a i5 661 and a P55 board)

While the CPU itself likely will be little trouble (modded kernel should do it), the mobo is another question entirely. It likely will be similar enough to the P55/P55A chipset to work with little to no modification, but nobody knows yet :hysterical:

with all that said, if you go H55 I'd go with a gigabyte board instead of that asus one.

Not only are they more popular in general (more support/guides), but in this specific case the Gigabyte H55 boards are using the tried & true Realtek ALC888/889 for audio & Realtek 8111D for ethernet, instead of the new/unknown ALC892 & 8112L on that Asus board

the H55M-UD2H looks the best bargain at $105, only $15 more than the S2H and has a full 4x RAM slots and OSX compatible firewire

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128421

I was looking to buy an socet 775 based configuration with E7something CPU, I was clear to buy GA-EP45-UD3LR as the motherboard, but today when I went to shop I saw that the prices for E7 and i3 CPUs are almost the same, so I have to do my "homework" again ;)

Jup, sounds interesting....hope that there will be a solution for i3 processors soon. I just bought a whole new system (except graphic card) just get osX to work. (according to the wiki on osx86project)

Now I have a GB-P55 UD4 with a i3 Processor which is not (now) supported.

Would be a pity if there will be no solution. I would help to get it to work if I could...but I do not have that knowledge in programming.

So just crossing fingers and pray ^^

Thus far I've yet to see anyone who has a new Clarksdale i3/i5 with more than the most basic hackintosh experience.

It seems rather likely that someone running one in a P55 board would be able to get it working with one of the modded 10.6.2 kernels (qoopz?) with the CPU check disabled (a la AMD, Intel Atom & pre-10.6.2 i5), but neither of the clarksdale owners ive seen yet has responded/been technically proficient enough to try

I just spent today trying to get a new Core i3-530 with a Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 to install Snow Leopard. It was a no go. I tried a few different mach_kernel variations and the latest chameleon and pc-efi, and the same thing happens every time.

"Starting Darwin x86_64" and then immediate reboot.

I assume it's the kernel that's not supporting the new i3 / Clarkdale processors and causing the reboot. Does anyone know if the kernel for 10.6.3 has support for Clarkdale?

Thus far I've yet to see anyone who has a new Clarksdale i3/i5 with more than the most basic hackintosh experience.

It seems rather likely that someone running one in a P55 board would be able to get it working with one of the modded 10.6.2 kernels (qoopz?) with the CPU check disabled (a la AMD, Intel Atom & pre-10.6.2 i5), but neither of the clarksdale owners ive seen yet has responded/been technically proficient enough to try

i have a new i3 and i5. I might try them out using qoopz tomorrow if I have time. Just using a P55-UD2, so at if qoopz works the rest of the install will be a breeze. I really want 5GHz! ;p

EDIT:

Ok, I have my i5-650 working in OS X now using the Qoopz kernel on the P55m-UD2 board. I booted using busratio=25 and it worked immediately. I changed the ratio manually, so put whatever busratio matches your CPU. Should work just fine with i3s also.

Time to overclock!

12,000 cinebench at 4.0GHz, still going for 5.0

hmm... I got the same problem with my new setup... it try to start and then immediate reboot.

my setup: Intel i3 530 + Gigabyte H55M-UD2H mobo + 2x 2GB Corsair 1333 RAM..

--

I just spent today trying to get a new Core i3-530 with a Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 to install Snow Leopard. It was a no go. I tried a few different mach_kernel variations and the latest chameleon and pc-efi, and the same thing happens every time.

"Starting Darwin x86_64" and then immediate reboot.

I assume it's the kernel that's not supporting the new i3 / Clarkdale processors and causing the reboot. Does anyone know if the kernel for 10.6.3 has support for Clarkdale?

Ok, so can we expect that they will all work eventually, we just need to give them some more time?

Yup, the fact that maleorderbride has an i3-530 running on his P55M using nothing more than Qoopz kernel & busratio=25 means nothing OSX-relevant has changed between Lynnfield & Clarksdale beyond the CPUID.

While you could indeed wait for someone to craft a guide or for Apple to add Clarksdale CPUs, really, all you need is the expertise needed to go through tonymac's install for P55 & i5s and then swap in the Qoopz kernel, repair permissions & boot with the proper busratio=