Snow Leopard Server on ESX4 / vSphere4

1 post in this topic

I'm reading my eyes red in these forums, have anyone successfully managed to run Snow Leopard Server on ESX4?

I have managed to get it to boot and to run, but it's failing on the graphics part or at least starting the WindowsManager. It's still able to run all services and I can manage it remotely with Server Admin Tools, so it's more just annoying to fail this close to the target.....

.vmx:

guestOS = "darwin-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

firmware = "efi"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

monitor.virtual_exec = "automatic"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "automatic"

kernel has been modified and recompiled to avoid panic regarding the APIC version in osfmk/i386/lapic.c

(Local APIC version 0x11, 0x14 or more expected)

I'm using the latest darwin.iso from VMware Fusion.

Initially it was failing loading the VMwareGfx64.kext complaining about not supported kernel, but as soon as i deleted it it looks like the VMwareGfx.kext is loading (ref the dmsg snippet below)

Messages in system.log / dmesg:

Loaded @ 0x35202b71: Info 0x35205180 Name com.vmware.kext.VMwareGfx Version 1.0.0 KEXT_BUNDLE_VERSION at Dec 7 2009 15:06:41

watchdogtimerd[50]: Service class IOWatchDogTimer not found!

watchdogtimerd[50]: Could not access automatic reboot timer.

svga: Start: CAP_TRACES=0x00200000 failed

gfx: start: svgaDev.Start failed.

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

Waiting for DSMOS...

Warning - kext com.apple.iokit.CHUDProf has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel* and com.apple.kpi.* components; use only one style.

Then I get messages from applications (vmware-tools) not being able to connect to the WindowManager - since it's not starting. Booting without -v will result in the grey apple boot screen with spinning wheel.

Anyone caring to share a pointer to a solution?

Best regards

Thom