[Solution] ATI HD4890 on 10.6.2

amit_talkin

21 posts in this topic

So, as everyone, i was also looking to get my HD4890 working on my 10.6.2 SL. I am using Hazard's distro of 10.6.2. I choose "Graphics enabler" while installing SL on my system. There was an option "Darwin 48x0 ID injector"but it always give me problem booting into OS. OS always stuck at "VoodooHDAdevice : Performingsystemstatechange (2,1)"when i use 48x0 injector. so I choose graphics enabler only.

anyways, here are the steps I used to get my HD4890 working on 10.6.2 with native resolution.before installing these packages, it was showing only ATI device with 256MB RAM in system profiler!

I am totally new to Mac and I can understand the problem newbies ( like me ) facing while installing patches, kexts, etc or understanding about unclear steps given on some topics,so i have given detailed steps below.

1st of all, here is the proof that it is working ( atleast for me )

SS.jpg

Now,

Solution :

1. Download attached "Packages.zip" file. and extract it. you will find 3 package files inside named "Enabler_for_Nvidia_and_multiple_ATI_cards.pkg' , "QE_CI_Exotic patch 10.6.2.pkg" and "QE_CI_Exotic_cards.pkg"

2. 1st run "QE_CI_Exotic_cards.pkg"

3. Now run "Enabler_for_Nvidia_and_multiple_ATI_cards.pkg"

4. Now run "QE_CI_Exotic patch 10.6.2.pkg"

5. Reboot.

Done!

Let me know if this worked for your or not.

Amit

Packages.zip

Thanks for understanding it takes a clear explanation to install a radeon. The fact that you didn't spend months trying to get this working is a truly remarkable thing. Please give an exact model (brand) name and as much specifics as you can on you card. I guess someday the ATI brains HERE will explain WHY they don't have a section on ATI cards that work and don't work, instead of making everyone crazy trying to get their ATI working with SL

<br />Diamond 4890 for me- Ive gotten mine to work with Snow .1....but not .2. (Until these steps)<br /><br />Ive done everyone one of these things in the past weeks- but not in the exact order- and not before butchering multiple kexts.<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br />Thanks for reply, I'm guessing it's a dual dvi out , thanks again, johnm

when I try the 2. point "Installing first the QE_CI_Exotic_cards.pkg"

I gor an error message, that the installation failed!

I have a fresh updated 10.6.2 and don't want to install SL and update again.

Whats wrong? Or can I ignro this message?

thanks

mike

Hi Nitro,

maybe we have the same problem!

I always get a black screen when rebooting and I tried a lot before.

Also I need to see the "grey selection window" for choosing the right system disk to boot.

Could you please let me know, when you successfully "flashed" your card

and how you did that?

thanks

mike

• 1 month later...

Thanks SO MUCH for this post. It's the first Hackintosh thing I've tried that worked first time, exactly as instructed. I now have 10.6.2 with full QE/CI support on an ATI Radeon HD4870. Awesome post!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just thought I'd post my experience with this solution. I installed a fresh 10.6.2 using PC EFI 10.5 on a Dell Dimension 9150 (Pentium D). I am running snow.legacy kernel because of the pentium D. With nothing else installed, I followed these directions exactly and got a KP at the end of the third package (QE_CI_Exotic patch 10.6.2.pkg). I have attached a screenshot of the KP. It also KP'd on next boot. My card is the Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB.

I don't know if my problem was related to the snow.legacy kernel, my motherboard or the version of the 4890 I am using. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate hearing them.

I also hope this documentation may help someone else in the future.

Mike

• 3 months later...
I just thought I'd post my experience with this solution. I installed a fresh 10.6.2 using PC EFI 10.5 on a Dell Dimension 9150 (Pentium D). I am running snow.legacy kernel because of the pentium D. With nothing else installed, I followed these directions exactly and got a KP at the end of the third package (QE_CI_Exotic patch 10.6.2.pkg). I have attached a screenshot of the KP. It also KP'd on next boot. My card is the Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB.

I don't know if my problem was related to the snow.legacy kernel, my motherboard or the version of the 4890 I am using. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate hearing them.

I also hope this documentation may help someone else in the future.

Mike

same happened here and i had to boot in single mode "-s" and delete ATIRadeonx2000.kext and ATI4800Controller.kext to be able to boot normally again.

• 6 months later...
It worked for me (ATI HD4650) and i already set in boot.plist as 1920x1080 but it only displayed 1440x1050. Any ideas? I'm using 10.5.6 version.

Hi Usher, i'm trying to make this to work for months. I have the sapphire ati radeon hd 4350 pcie 1gb vram and 10.5.6 version like you, can you please explain me how do you get your card work, step by step and whats kext you install and whats you modified and how. you install all the kext in the packages.zip file ( all three)???, because one is for snow leopard. My monitor is connected by VGA.

Thanks very much, any help will be appreciate

• 1 year later...

can someone explain what each of these package is doing ?

Solution :

1. Download attached "Packages.zip" file. and extract it. you will find 3 package files inside named "Enabler_for_Nvidia_and_multiple_ATI_cards.pkg' , "QE_CI_Exotic patch 10.6.2.pkg" and "QE_CI_Exotic_cards.pkg"

2. 1st run "QE_CI_Exotic_cards.pkg"

3. Now run "Enabler_for_Nvidia_and_multiple_ATI_cards.pkg"

4. Now run "QE_CI_Exotic patch 10.6.2.pkg"

5. Reboot.

Done!

Say i want to do this manually