ASUS P5N-E SLI drivers / setup for Snow Leopard

diablo900t

7 posts in this topic

I'm new to this whole scene, so forgive me if i haven't found the right resources I should have.

I'm attempting to get snow leopard running on my machine:

Intel Q8300

4 GB RAM DDR2 PC6400

200 GB SATA (for Mac OS X - separate from my windows drives)

Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS

ASUS P5N-E SLI mobo

I found a guide here on the forums - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184224

I tried to follow the instructions and was able to get Snow Leopard installed successfully by using the boot disk and a retail copy of Snow Leopard.

My problem now is that I can only boot into the system in Safe Boot, if i try normally i get the "you must restart your computer" message.

I'm uncertain where to go from here, and not really sure how to actually install drivers in the OS (first time i've ever used a Mac), and which kernel i should be using. Last night i tried installing vanilla kernel 9.5.0 i think and it would boot, but then there would be no signal to my monitor.

Basically i've done a clean install of Snow Leopard and I need some help as to what i need to do next in order to get it running out of Safe Boot.

I'm new to this whole scene, so forgive me if i haven't found the right resources I should have.

I'm attempting to get snow leopard running on my machine:

Intel Q8300

4 GB RAM DDR2 PC6400

200 GB SATA (for Mac OS X - separate from my windows drives)

Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS

ASUS P5N-E SLI mobo

I found a guide here on the forums - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184224

I tried to follow the instructions and was able to get Snow Leopard installed successfully by using the boot disk and a retail copy of Snow Leopard.

My problem now is that I can only boot into the system in Safe Boot, if i try normally i get the "you must restart your computer" message.

I'm uncertain where to go from here, and not really sure how to actually install drivers in the OS (first time i've ever used a Mac), and which kernel i should be using. Last night i tried installing vanilla kernel 9.5.0 i think and it would boot, but then there would be no signal to my monitor.

Basically i've done a clean install of Snow Leopard and I need some help as to what i need to do next in order to get it running out of Safe Boot.

I'm pretty new to this, too, but I think I may have a little more experience (still not that much!) than you, so I'll offer up some possible advice:

I presume by the "you must restart your computer" message, you mean a Kernel panic? That'll be the screen where it displays a lot of different languages. If so, then it'll help others on this board help you if you boot again, not into safe-mode, and press F8 at startup so you can enter some boot switches. Enter '-v' (without the quotes), and any other switches you normally enter, and let it do it's thing. It should crash as it usually does, but this time, you'll be able to see what causes the crash. Write back with the last few lines of code you see.

As for not getting any signal to your monitor, have you tried both output ports on your graphics card? And are you using VGA or DVI outputs?

Other things you could try are removing all devices and drives you don't need, using the 'cpus=1' switch at boot...

Oh, just occurred to me that if you installed from a retail disc, then you might need to add some kexts for your graphics card? Someone else should be able to guide you in doing that if you need to.

Anyway, good luck, and take my 'advice' with a pinch of salt, as I've only done one or two installs! I'm about to embark on the same venture, apart from I've got the Q6600, so I'll try remember to let you know how it turns out!

I actually got it all working last night! I followed the instructions in the nForce guide listed on this forum - i think its post #455 where its archived, and followed Parts A, B, and F.

Basically once i dragged the essential kexts into the extra/extension folder and installed Chameleon RC4 and changed the kernel flag to arch=i386 i was able to boot without any issues.

So far i'm up and running and have audio, video, and network drivers working. I'm sure there's more to tweak but the system is finally functional.

I actually got it all working last night! I followed the instructions in the nForce guide listed on this forum - i think its post #455 where its archived, and followed Parts A, B, and F.

Basically once i dragged the essential kexts into the extra/extension folder and installed Chameleon RC4 and changed the kernel flag to arch=i386 i was able to boot without any issues.

So far i'm up and running and have audio, video, and network drivers working. I'm sure there's more to tweak but the system is finally functional.

Eeeey! Nice work. Which kexts did you put into the extras folder? Shame you're not running in 64-bit...There's got to be a way to get that working, though.

I've just erased an external usb hard drive, so I'm going to try get it done tonight using that same guide. Wish me luck!

hey,

I've basically done the same thing... running OSX 10.6, but exept for my graphics card, nothing seems to work...

no ethernet

no audio.

any help with this? (sorry, I'm a newb on the osx86 topic)...

Is there a HOWTO on installing kext files? and which one should I use to get the lan & audio working?

thanks in advance!

EDIT: ok so I got audio working... and installed the kexts with running kext helper afterwards... but still no ethernet?

anyone got a hint which kexts I need? thanks!!

• 5 weeks later...
hey,

I've basically done the same thing... running OSX 10.6, but exept for my graphics card, nothing seems to work...

no ethernet

no audio.

any help with this? (sorry, I'm a newb on the osx86 topic)...

Is there a HOWTO on installing kext files? and which one should I use to get the lan & audio working?

thanks in advance!

EDIT: ok so I got audio working... and installed the kexts with running kext helper afterwards... but still no ethernet?

anyone got a hint which kexts I need? thanks!!

I got ethernet working with leopard using this: http://code.google.com/p/ipcosx86ppf/issues/detail?id=7

don't know if its going to work with slow leo. keep us posted.

• 1 year later...

Hey, I have a mobo like that lying around I'm soon going to attempt installing snow on it.

I have a fully successful snow leopard install on one of my computers and just for the fun of it

I started trying all sorts of other systems...So the next one I'm going to try is the p5n e sli...

I will post if I come across any issues and I will also post if I find fixes...