ATI HD 5770

ralfhome

1,160 posts in this topic

to get mine working i used the file i attached which is the modified version for 5700 series, i had to swap my dvi to the second dvi input to get video, but all went well.

to get mine working i used the file i attached which is the modified version for 5700 series, i had to swap my dvi to the second dvi input to get video, but all went well.

I tested GV-R577UD-1GD on my EP45-UD3R last night. I modified AsereBLN boot v1.1.9 by adding HD5770 device-id into ati.c and using Vervet as framebuffer. Got dual DVI working, native HDMI may be working if plug it in at the same time and will get mirror, DP not tested. Don't need DVI2VGA to connect DVI port. I could swap dual DVI ports for one monitor. Also, I could connect two monitors working via dual DVI. And the best is 64bit working and using with my DSDT that contains "hda-gfx" lines. I will test it more with Vervet framebuffer.

Thanks to netkas for ATY_Init.kext, my beginning of testing HD5770. Using DSDT that contains HDAU device in GFX0 section and ATY_Init.kext got KP so I had to remove HDAU device for using ATY_Init.kext properly.

post-93383-1278389880_thumb.jpg

HD5770 only; remove ATY_Init.kext and rebuild caches

I did

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/ATY_Init.kext
sudo rm -r -v /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/*
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

Asere_1.1.9_Vervet.pkg.zip

Using GraphicsEnabler=Yes in com.apple.Boot.plist

***If you are using Gigabyte mother board and installing AsereBLN's boot and not using DSDT.aml, you need to add PCIRootUID=1 in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Example of com.apple.Boot.plist

post-93383-1278470440_thumb.jpg

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>n</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

note: this boot might not report your system memory correctly since the nice source code's not available. Got to wait AsereBLN or someone else to build a new boot.

If you have some problems, please read atlee's post how to fix in safe mode.

What I did on my EP45-UD3R:

1. Installed required kexts for HD5xxx (ATIFramebuufer.kext, ATI5000Controller.kext*, ATIRadeonX3000.kext*, ATIRadeonX3000GA.plugin, ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle, ATIRadeonX3000VADriver.bundle, and ATISupport.kext) and ATY_Init.kext (using Uakari as framebuffer by netkas) into /S/L/E. These ATI*.kext can be found in MacOSXUpd10.6.4MacminiMid2010.dmg. DeviceID of HD5770 (0x100268B6) is included already.

2. Restarted in 32 bit mode. Needed to connect DVI2VGA on other DVI port and then went to GUI Desktop. Working fine.

3. Thought to try to use boot loader (GraphicsEnabler=Yes). I added HD5770 device-id into ati.c and compiled the source code and installed the new boot. I tried a few framebuffer that reported working. Some worked some not. Finally I ended up with Vervet comparing to Uakari which one is better.

4. I removed ATY_Init.kext and kext caches, see code, and edited com.apple.Boot.plist and restarted it.

I got many KPs too until I found out the best way for me. I tried ATY_Init.kext w/ Uakari FB by connecting native HDMI and one DVI port w/ DVI2VGA on other DVI port. I got it thru LCD TV fine but got static/snow on LCD monitor.

Update testing some framebuffers: Using ATY_Init.kext

Note: I will call DVI port that is close to HDMI as DVI A and other as DVI B.

Motmot is OK ---> DVI B only, no DVI2VGA dongle.

Baboon & Uakari: DVI A working, need connect DVI2VGA to DVI B. (07-07-2010)

Colobus & Galago & Douc: black screen on both DVI, press restart from a keyboard. (07-07-2010)

I think it's enough for testing some FB. I was lucky to pick up Vervet for testing after trying Uakari, Eulemur, and Langur.

Based on Vervet framebuffer: connected LCD TV to native HDMI and LCD monitor to DVI A and startup together >> got mirror, not extended. If plugged in to native HDMI after booted, got no signal on LCD TV. (08-07-2010)

Also see my second attempt on EP35-DS3P.

I tested GV-R577UD-1GD last night. I modified AsereBLN boot v1.1.9 by adding HD5770 device-id into ati.c and using Vervet as framebuffer. Got dual DVI working, native HDMI not working, DP not tested. Don't need DVI2VGA to connect DVI port. I could swap dual DVI ports for one monitor. Also, I could connect two monitors working via dual DVI. And the best is 64bit working and using with my DSDT that contains "hda-gfx" lines. I will test it more with Vervet framebuffer.

Thanks to netkas for ATY_Init.kext, my beginning of testing HD5770. Using DSDT that contains HDAU device in GFX0 section and ATY_Init.kext got KP so I had to remove HDAU device for using ATY_Init.kext property.

Would love to do it your way so i can boot back into 64bit, will have to try Vervet FB.

tmongkol also tested Vervet and it also works :)

tmongkol your right, I was orignally using Eulemur FB but only 1 DVI was working, Vervet makes both my DVI's work. great stuff.

I tested GV-R577UD-1GD last night. I modified AsereBLN boot v1.1.9 by adding HD5770 device-id into ati.c and using Vervet as framebuffer. Got dual DVI working, native HDMI not working, DP not tested. Don't need DVI2VGA to connect DVI port. I could swap dual DVI ports for one monitor. Also, I could connect two monitors working via dual DVI. And the best is 64bit working and using with my DSDT that contains "hda-gfx" lines. I will test it more with Vervet framebuffer.

Thanks to netkas for ATY_Init.kext, my beginning of testing HD5770. Using DSDT that contains HDAU device in GFX0 section and ATY_Init.kext got KP so I had to remove HDAU device for using ATY_Init.kext property.

post-93383-1278389880_thumb.jpg

HD5770 only; remove ATY_Init.kext and rebuild caches

I did

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/ATY_Init.kext
sudo rm -r -v /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/*
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

Using GraphicsEnabler=Yes in com.apple.Boot.plist

note: this boot might not report your system memory correctly since the nice source code's not available. Got to wait AsereBLN or someone else.

Yes your edited Asere Bootloader works in 64bit mode without the need for ATY_Init and also my VRAM is reported correctly :)

Thankyou tmongkol

tmongkol ,great news!

my card is 5750 ,dev-id is 68B8 1002

yesterday i connected 2 DVI Dispaly and only 1 working(and flash sometimes) using ATY_Init.kext .and give up ,waiting for new ways

Then i notice your 5770 dev-id is 68B8 ,same as my 5750, so i should have a try ?

and with your Asere_1.1.9_Vervet.pkg.zip , it no need for ATY_Init.kext anymore?

tmongkol ,great news!

my card is 5750 ,dev-id is 68B8 1002

yesterday i connected 2 DVI Dispaly and only 1 working(and flash sometimes) using ATY_Init.kext .and give up ,waiting for new ways

Then i notice your 5770 dev-id is 68B8 ,same as my 5750, so i should have a try ?

and with your Asere_1.1.9_Vervet.pkg.zip , it no need for ATY_Init.kext anymore?

Device_ID of HD5770 is 0x100268B8.

Device_ID of HD5750 is 0x100268BE.

Please use GPU-Z to check it and post it. Thanks.

GPU-Z shows 68B8 too.

since i'm at work ,so i will upload the screen shot after i get back home.

ps: The hardware ID in Windows Device Manager also shows as VEN_1002 & DEV_68B8

maybe the saler give me a 5770 ? ;)

GPU-Z shows 68B8 too.

So, go ahead to try my edited boot.

Don't forget remove ATY_Init.kext.

Add GraphicsEnabler=Yes in com.apple.Boot.plist

GPU-Z shows 68B8 too.

Yeah, My 5750 Shows

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x68be

You probably got lucky and got a 5770. I'm using netkas ATY_init.kext 5750 working good with QE/CI, for odd reason OpenGL Extensions show ATI Radeon Juniper LE Prototype OpenGL Engine? Anyway to get back into 64bit would be great, but I'm pretty sure i'll end up with KP with tmongkol's solution?

post-165067-1278405604_thumb.png

Yes! It's finally works! Thank you! :wacko:

My steps:

1. removed all those 5000 and 3000 kexts and ATY_Init

2. installed Asere_1.1.9_Vervet.pkg without reboot

3. edited com.apple.Boot.plist for GraphicsEnabler=Yes

4. installed all kexts from driver.tar.gz with KextHelper

5. rebooted and it just works (no graphical or mouse glitches)

tmongkol , i got some bad news

After i change GraphicsEnabler to Yes

i get a black screen and a Full-Speed GPU Fan 's Noise. even apple's logo not show at all.

How did you do before getting KP? Did you remove ATY_Init.kext and kext caches?

==============================

My second attempt on EP35-Ds3P (w/8800GT), also read my first attempt on EP45-UD3R.

1. Installed ATIFramebuufer.kext, ATI5000Controller.kext*, ATIRadeonX3000.kext*, ATIRadeonX3000GA.plugin, ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle, ATIRadeonX3000VADriver.bundle, and ATISupport.kext from MacOSXUpd10.6.4MacminiMid2010.dmg by using Pacifist. *contains HD5770 device-id already.

2. Removed and rebuilt kext caches. Edited my DSDT and com.apple.Boot.plist (defines GraphicsEnabler = No for my testing).

3. Installed boot loader from my edited Asere v1.1.9 for HD5770 and restart w/ 8800GT and then shutdown.

4. Replaced 8800GT with Gigabyte HD5770 and start it up

5. Press F8 for getting command prompt and typed GraphicsEnabler=Yes and then went to Desktop, if not got KP.

6. Finally got it working in 64 bit, Sleep and Wake Up working.

post-93383-1278420739_thumb.jpg

post-93383-1278420820_thumb.jpg

Ive just tried tmongkol's setup for running it in Asere, and i get KP rather than desktop

Was working ok in 32bit with the ATY_init.

23qylgw.png

Basically followed the routine above, removed ATY_init and then installed Asere modified and rebooted.

Ive just tried tmongkol's setup for running it in Asere, and i get KP rather than desktop

Basically followed the routine above, removed ATY_init and then installed Asere modified and rebooted.

Did you remove kext caches as I explained?

Yup. Im pretty good at following instructions normally.

Just removed all the kexts and switched back to 32bit/GE=no to try and get it to boot into safe mode so i can start again :)

Just redid it all again, still fails to do anything. Perhaps ive buggered up Asere?

Edit: just reinstalled with the netkas method, which is working, but its doing the funky one-display from two thing.

Perhaps im doing something wrong with the install process for your stuff tmongkol

Last time i did the following:

1. Removed ATY_init.kext

2. Removed the kext cache

3. Installed the modified Asere pkg file which you linked from your post

4. Rebooted and had a KP with flags: "arch=x86_64 GraphicsEnabler=Yes"

Ideas?

Just removed all the kexts and switched back to 32bit/GE=no to try and get it to boot into safe mode so i can start again :)

Just redid it all again, still fails to do anything. Perhaps ive buggered up Asere?

You may try how to reset the display configuration. OS X sometimes recorded and used old preferences as I am thinking.

YES i finally got it to work..:) not exactly sure how i did it exactly..it was getting kp's so i went and tried installing everything again and it works..:) woo hoo..:)

post-318996-1278424546_thumb.png

post-318996-1278424557_thumb.png

YES i finally got it to work..:) not exactly sure how i did it exactly..it was getting kp's so i went and tried installing everything again and it works..:) woo hoo..:)

@ shortman1984

What is SwitchResX4 - LC -47SB57UT? Is it LCD TV or HDMI receiver?

Thanks

Ok, so last time i got back to the desktop in netkas mode and then followed the steps in the post: removed ATY_init, kext caches, installed Asere modified, and then removed the display configuration.

Booted up again in arch=x86_64 GraphicsEnabler=Yes and it KPed again

@ shortman1984

What is SwitchResX4 - LC -47SB57UT? Is it LCD TV or HDMI receiver?

Thanks

i dont think really needed switchresx i had it before when i tried to get my lcd TV to work and overscan correctly..but with the 5770 card it overscans like its suppose to..:) and its an LCD tv and i have it hooked hop with an hdmi to dvi adapter..