ATI HD 5770

ralfhome

1,160 posts in this topic

Why on earth are you using a real Apple 5770 in a hack??

Where did you get the DSDT - did you extract it yourself from your machine?

Which bootloader are you using?

If you have Kabyl's booter then you must use UseAtiROM=No or you get KP.

I see you have GraphicsEnabler=No -- you must have Ati_init.kext ???

If you are happy with this then try with DSDT but UseAtiROM=No

However I have never tried to get hdau working with Ati_init.kext!

D

I Bought the Apple 5770 because I thought It would just work without any problems and I needed the Mini DisplayPort

For My Apple Cinema Display

The DSDT im using was extracted from my machine using a script made by DigitalDreamer obtained from a tutorial he wrote that matched most of the components I am Using

I am Using:

Darwin/ x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.0-RC5pre12 r115

Build date: 2010-02-24 18:41:48

Everytime I try to add the code to the DSDT for my machine using DSDTSE.app I get a compile error

Error 4064 Object does not exist ^ (DTGP)

Im sorry that I cant get this right and I wish I had the same level of understanding that most of you here do, but I don't

As I've said before I have the Video side of the card working perfectly, full acceleration running on 2 x Apple 27" Cinema Displays both running from the Mini DisplayPorts but No Sound

My Cinebench Scores Seem to Be Around Average at 28.8fps

Could Someone Please tell me where I might be going wrong?

Thanks

Everytime I try to add the code to the DSDT for my machine using DSDTSE.app I get a compile error

Error 4064 Object does not exist ^ (DTGP)

Im sorry that I cant get this right and I wish I had the same level of understanding that most of you here do, but I don't

Could Someone Please tell me where I might be going wrong?

Thanks

You need a section like this that adds the DTGP put it at the top before your Scope (_PR) it should line up with it like I show here and you may want to get the isalME.app I seem to remember reading that DSDTSE can put unwanted characters into your file causing problems.

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)
 {
	 If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
			 {
				 /* 0000 */	0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44, 
				 /* 0008 */	0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
			 }))
	 {
		 If (LEqual (Arg1, One))
		 {
			 If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
			 {
				 Store (Buffer (One)
					 {
						 0x03
					 }, Arg4)
				 Return (One)
			 }

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))
			 {
				 Return (One)
			 }
		 }
	 }

Store (Buffer (One)
		 {
			 0x00
		 }, Arg4)
	 Return (Zero)
 }

Scope (_PR)
 {
	 Processor (CPU0, 0x00, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
	 Processor (CPU1, 0x01, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
	 Processor (CPU2, 0x02, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
	 Processor (CPU3, 0x03, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
	 Processor (CPU4, 0x04, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
	 Processor (CPU5, 0x05, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
	 Processor (CPU6, 0x06, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
	 Processor (CPU7, 0x07, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
 }

You need a section like this that adds the DTGP put it at the top before your Scope (_PR) it should line up with it like I show here and you may want to get the isalME.app I seem to remember reading that DSDTSE can put unwanted characters into your file causing problems.

Thanks MacUser2525, I was able to compile the DSDT.aml file and install it in the /extra folder

But no Sound from Mini DisplayPort

I have Tried changing Name (_ADR, 0x00010000), Name (_ADR, 0x00020000), Name (_ADR, 0x00030000) Ect.

Any More Tips?

Perhaps It would be easier to get a second job, save some money and go and buy a Real Mac Pro! maybe ill save some time?

Thanks Again Guys!

Thanks MacUser2525, I was able to compile the DSDT.aml file and install it in the /extra folder

I have Tried changing Name (_ADR, 0x00010000), Name (_ADR, 0x00020000), Name (_ADR, 0x00030000) Ect.

Any More Tips?

Perhaps It would be easier to get a second job, save some money and go and buy a Real Mac Pro! maybe ill save some time?

Thanks Again Guys!

Your welcome, unfortunately no clue on the second part of your problem..

guys, i gave up on the microstutter issue in 24hz mode!

Yesterday I got the Sapphire Displayport to DVI Adapter that was recommended if you want to have 3 displays working.

In the beginning it seemed to work: I connected the Displayport > DVI and then DVI > HDMI and suddenly I had 3 displays working! I tried out a movie and I didnt see a lot of stuttering in 24 hz.

After a restart it was there again though. Really noticeable and really choppy. I then disconnected all monitors but the TV and even then it wasn't completely smooth as I previously stated (much better though)

After reconnecting all displays it seemed to work again but it still seems like with all the movies I tried out and which I previoulsy watched with my old gfx card it doesn't hold up to the performance I used to get... Even with only one display connected!

I must say I'm happy with the performance of the card but really disappointed with the 24hz playback. In 1080i 50 or 60hz it looks fine I guess. So for now I'll only use 60hz with gives me microstutters for fast movements but that I can live with.

For a movie enthusiast who studied film and enjoys movies the way they are intended to be watched this is not really an ongoing solution. I'm thinking about selling the card again if there won't be any feedback from Sapphire/ATI on this issue. Since I have the same thing going on in Windows 7 and since it was working fine with my old graphics card I suspect a hardware issue to be the cause!

At least fka and me are not the only one with this problem

Any More Tips?

Thanks Again Guys!

Do you have Ati_init.kext in EXtra/Extensions or S/L/E ?

As I said earlier - if you do I'm not sure (untested by me) that the hdmi audio will work.

I think you need to try Mohammed or Kablys chameleon booter for ATI5xxx with GraphicsEnaber=Yes and Remove Ati_init.

D

Yesterday I got the Sapphire Displayport to DVI Adapter that was recommended if you want to have 3 displays working.

In the beginning it seemed to work: I connected the Displayport > DVI and then DVI > HDMI and suddenly I had 3 displays working! I tried out a movie and I didnt see a lot of stuttering in 24 hz.

After a restart it was there again though. Really noticeable and really choppy. I then disconnected all monitors but the TV and even then it wasn't completely smooth as I previously stated (much better though)

After reconnecting all displays it seemed to work again but it still seems like with all the movies I tried out and which I previoulsy watched with my old gfx card it doesn't hold up to the performance I used to get... Even with only one display connected!

I must say I'm happy with the performance of the card but really disappointed with the 24hz playback. In 1080i 50 or 60hz it looks fine I guess. So for now I'll only use 60hz with gives me microstutters for fast movements but that I can live with.

For a movie enthusiast who studied film and enjoys movies the way they are intended to be watched this is not really an ongoing solution. I'm thinking about selling the card again if there won't be any feedback from Sapphire/ATI on this issue. Since I have the same thing going on in Windows 7 and since it was working fine with my old graphics card I suspect a hardware issue to be the cause!

At least fka and me are not the only one with this problem

I've given up on my fresh install test also as I was still seeing stuttering - but that was on the flurry screensaver with the monitor set at 1080 60Hz!

One more thing to try and that is using nullCPUPM - but I'm cluching at straws and it does look like (from your link.) that it's just a fault with the card ... maybe a ROM update on it's way?

D

I've skimmed thru many pages of this thread but haven't found my exact set of symptoms.

Are there no suggestions at all for my sleepless Hawk 5770 problem? Since then I've tried a number of random ROMs posted on netkas.org: one claiming to be Apple original, one claiming to be modified to work, and other vendor's ROMs. All either have no effect or cause a kernel panic.

Am I fooling myself if I return it, buy a GTS 450, and expect it to be plug-and-play?

Thanks in advance

you call this a 'microshutter' problem? I see more of a freeze frame then catch up and then repeat.

is this what you mean?

Also your 1080 material - is this converted to mkv? i.e. are you playing with VLC?

From vlc forum:

"

Re: Stuttering playback on the Mac? Try this! icon_post_target.gifby tengo84 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:09 am

2010 Mac Pro 5.1, OS X 10.6.5, ATI 5870, 10GB RAM

VLC 1.1.3 and 1.1.5 both experienced video/audio stuttering when playing avi files. I unchecked "Use file memory mapping", which was on by default, and the stuttering disappeared in both versions. What's really strange is that the problem only occurred with files stored on my WD 2TB Caviar Black hard drives. Identical files on both of them produced the same glitches. I had no problems with memory mapping playing videos from my 1 TB Caviar Black, or my SSD. Thankfully, all is well now that memory mapping is disabled. http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=...tart=40#p279907."

This has removed the big stutter problem with vlc and HD material - But i still see the choppiness/ sluggishness (is this what you mean by microshutter problem?)with flurry and video playback - only with 2x monitors - is OK with just DVI.

Using Kabyls branch of chameleon built today.

D

hey fka,

I'm playing back with xbmc and after playing around a bit with the setings I managed to get it running without stutters. In VLC both Win and Mac my movies dont playback well...

I'm still testing and I'm not fully convinced this is working now.. For example when the TV is in 24hz mode and I move a windows around on my main TFT Flat panel it has very jerky movements as if the 24hz mode is accidently influencing all displays

But so far 24hz playback is finally working ok now... i had to change some settings in XBMC to make it work that were not required with my old gfx card. I still have the feeling that audio/video are not completely synced and audio seems to run ahead slightly. my friends didnt notice it that much so i'm beginning to think that i'm getting too picky about things :)

hey fka,

I'm playing back with xbmc and after playing around a bit with the setings I managed to get it running without stutters. In VLC both Win and Mac my movies dont playback well...

I'm still testing and I'm not fully convinced this is working now.. For example when the TV is in 24hz mode and I move a windows around on my main TFT Flat panel it has very jerky movements as if the 24hz mode is accidently influencing all displays

But so far 24hz playback is finally working ok now... i had to change some settings in XBMC to make it work that were not required with my old gfx card. I still have the feeling that audio/video are not completely synced and audio seems to run ahead slightly. my friends didnt notice it that much so i'm beginning to think that i'm getting too picky about things :)

I don't think you are - HDMI audio is definitely ahead by a frame or two, I hadn't even got close to thinking about a fix for that but there must be someway of setting audio delay?!

D

good to hear you experience the same.

In xbmc you can easily set a delay but doing this for every movie would suck!

it really only feels like a frame or two, but this also happens with my external firewire soundcard (motu ultralite) not only with the hdmi audio...

the weirdest thing is that i cant switch of my primary display when watching a movie on the tv, the movie begins to stutter heavily with the movie stopping for a second every 3 seconds! This doesn't happen if I use the internal sound or hdmi audio for playback, only with my external soundcard...

Hi all,

What would be the best way to get ati hd5770 working under 10.6.5 ? Doesn't the system provide native 5770 support?

- I have previously been using the method by M. Khairy with the special boot file with vervet framebuffer. But this stopped working when I upgraded to 10.6.5 and chameleon RC5 691. I think its a chameleon problem, because I also get a black screen after booting with my backup disk, which contains the previously working setup (10.6.4).

UPDATE: I have managed to get the 5770 to work with the latest kabyl's boot file found here : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231768.

- removed graphics card's .rom file from /Extra

- graphics enabler = yes

- vbios = no

- use atiRom = no (kabyl's boot extracts rom automatically I believe)

- if you update chemeleon, make sure you replace the boot file with Kabyl's afterwards

- boot ignoring caches

I did have KP once after boot up, but it seems gone now that I booted ignoring caches. Fingers crossed.

UPDATE : I am still experiencing KP at boot time. The problem seems chameleon related.

Dear Mohamed,

I have been using your boot file with vervet fb.

Recently I have updated to 10.6.5 and chameleon RC5 691 and the 5770 stopped working. It seems a chameleon problem, as it also does not work when I try booting with my backup disk which contains the previous working setup (10.6.4)

Could you tell me the correct procedure for getting the 5770 to work?

Thank you,

MPK

Dear Mohamed,

I have been using your boot file with vervet fb.

Recently I have updated to 10.6.5 and chameleon RC5 691 and the 5770 stopped working. It seems a chameleon problem, as it also does not work when I try booting with my backup disk which contains the previous working setup (10.6.4)

Could you tell me the correct procedure for getting the 5770 to work?

Thank you,

MPK

Please try version 3 of the kabyl boot file

Dear all,

I am new in here. I installed my OSx86 with ATi HD 5770. However, I have a problem. The display will keep blinding after an couple hours. I don't know what happen, even I tried to another DVI port. Anyone can help? Thanks.

Configuration from About

ATI Radeon HD 5770:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5770

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x68b8

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

W2442:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

Display Connector:

Display Connector:

misaki:

reading into this topic for hours i came across a few people who had the problem with the screen going black every couple of hours. all these people were using adapters (displayport to dvi)

i bought the sapphire diplayport to dvi adapter and this seems to be one of the only ones were the screen doesnt go blank after a while!

but your problem doesnt seem to be related to using three outputs at the same time... just wanted to tell you that there is a problem with ati cards similar to what you are describing!

Thanks, I think i still using native HD5770 driver in MacOS. I read all the post of HD5770 here, and it has many driver installation methods. What is the different of 32bit and 64bit? And which installation method is correct on SL10.6.5 & MB3.0.3.

e.g. I found a bootloader method with rom here, what is the different with another?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...31756&st=40

Thanks so much~ I also hope it is not my display card problem for black screen after couple hours.

the best working method is to use the kabyl boot file from here

many people use it because it offers 64bit support. i still boot in 32 bit since there is no real performance boost with my 8gb of ram (plus i cant use macfuse to mount my server as a hard disk since macfuse is 32bit only)

the way you install it is as follows:

1. update to 10.6.5

2. install the newest chameleon rc5

3. download boot.gz from link above, extract the file and copy it to the root of your startup drive (overwrite the "old" boot.gz)

4. edit /extra/boot.com.apple.plist

5. make sure it has the following entries

<key>UseAtiROM</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

(for updating to 10.6.5 i followed a tutorial which said i should have generatepstates and generatecstates in my boot plist set to yes. this caused a lot of issues whch i solved by deleting these entries so make sure you dont have these entries in there)

6. i don't need to use an extra boot rom. it could be that you need to extract your rom under win7 at this point and put it in the extra folder

the best working method is to use the kabyl boot file from here

many people use it because it offers 64bit support. i still boot in 32 bit since there is no real performance boost with my 8gb of ram (plus i cant use macfuse to mount my server as a hard disk since macfuse is 32bit only)

the way you install it is as follows:

1. update to 10.6.5

2. install the newest chameleon rc5

3. download boot.gz from link above, extract the file and copy it to the root of your startup drive (overwrite the "old" boot.gz)

4. edit /extra/boot.com.apple.plist

5. make sure it has the following entries

<key>UseAtiROM</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

(for updating to 10.6.5 i followed a tutorial which said i should have generatepstates and generatecstates in my boot plist set to yes. this caused a lot of issues whch i solved by deleting these entries so make sure you dont have these entries in there)

6. i don't need to use an extra boot rom. it could be that you need to extract your rom under win7 at this point and put it in the extra folder

UseAtiRom is not necessary with the Kabyl boot !

Hi Guys,

Back on this site after quite some time. Excellent work and my congrats to everyone.

I have read all 51 pages about this card and have a couple of questions I haven't been able to answer.

I have been able to get my HIS 5770 and P55M-UD2 up using Tonymac's [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and Kabyls method. However, I can't get audio thru HDMI for the love of Steve. I get video just fine with Uakari, and I can even see the HDMI port under the System Profiler Audio (Built in); unfortunately, under System preferences there is nothing listed.

I came across my System Profiler to find out that my card is not getting picked up by the PCI Cards section. I ran lspci and confirmed that OSX thinks there are no PCI devices present. Another curious fact is that on some other posts I have seen screen grabs where peoples' cards are listed as HD 5770; mine however is listed as HD 5700 Series.

I have a hunch this maybe related to my audio not working, but again I am far from being an expert and the lack of information maybe just cosmetic... I do see some references on the ioregistry.

I would appreciate some ideas on overcoming this hurdle. I have included some screen grabs, DSDT and IOregistrydump below. Cheers.

Graphics.tiff

PCI.tiff

lspci.tiff

dsdtbackup.aml.zip

ioregistry.zip

hey man,

i got hdmi audio working here...

screenshot20110102at121.png

I looked in your dsdt and changed it to correspond to mine. I got the code for the dsdt from tonymacs forum

"got the code from tonymac" - grrrrr

Was posted here 1st - see post 355 in this thread, and is in several posts by trauma before that.

also the code quoted in tomymac contains a bit of old MasterChief code that I susspect many people wont be using anymore and will cause confusion "MCDP" !

Appart from that - Happy New Year chrishelms mate :P

D

Was posted here 1st - see post 355 in this thread, and is in several posts by trauma before that.

also the code quoted in tomymac contains a bit of old MasterChief code that I susspect many people wont be using anymore and will cause confusion "MCDP" !

Appart from that - Happy New Year chrishelms mate ;)

D

Hi Guys,

Back on this site after quite some time. Excellent work and my congrats to everyone.

I have read all 51 pages about this card and have a couple of questions I haven't been able to answer.

I have been able to get my HIS 5770 and P55M-UD2 up using Tonymac's [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and Kabyls method. However, I can't get audio thru HDMI for the love of Steve. I get video just fine with Uakari, and I can even see the HDMI port under the System Profiler Audio (Built in); unfortunately, under System preferences there is nothing listed.

I came across my System Profiler to find out that my card is not getting picked up by the PCI Cards section. I ran lspci and confirmed that OSX thinks there are no PCI devices present. Another curious fact is that on some other posts I have seen screen grabs where peoples' cards are listed as HD 5770; mine however is listed as HD 5700 Series.

I have a hunch this maybe related to my audio not working, but again I am far from being an expert and the lack of information maybe just cosmetic... I do see some references on the ioregistry.

I would appreciate some ideas on overcoming this hurdle. I have included some screen grabs, DSDT and IOregistrydump below. Cheers.

Your DSDT edits look right. Those same edits do not show in ioreg, Either the edited DSDT was not installed or the ioreg is from a DSDT without the HDMI audio edits.

Appart from that - Happy New Year chrishelms mate :)

D

i know it's originally from over here mate!

There was one thing that I learned from the tonymac thread though and that was changing the address from _ADR, 0x00030000 to _ADR, 0x00010000

That made it work for me and thats what I changed in the dsdt from beto&luna.. It was probably mentioned over here as well but that's just where I got it from. No disrespect for the hard working people obver here at insanelymac!

Anyway happy new year to you to FKA!