ATI HD 5770

ralfhome

1,160 posts in this topic

No joy with Hoolock and Juniper ROM -

KP unless I use VBIOS=NO, not too surprising ... but No boot with VBIOS=Yes (default).

Havent tried to hard so will pickup again tomorrow.

D.

I've gone back to chameleon trunk - edited ati.c for Hoolock under 5770 device id

Booted with ROM in extra using UseAtiROM=Yes and with VBIOS=Yes and No

I get no HDMI audio and the GFX are even choppier than with Vervet.

Cleared caches and GFX now smooth with Hoolock but still not HDMI audio from HDMI port.

Again VBIOS=Yes or NO makes no noticeable difference.

Sure Kabyl can confirm but it looks like his bootloader is already injecting all or part of Apple

Juniper ROM?

EDIT - I'm back with (chameleon trunk latest.) Vervet but UseAtiROM=Yes and Apple Juniper ROM in extra. I still see my original fault

MOre about the fault - I work in TV and a major part of my job involves identifying and fixing video errors, so I'm very sensitive to such faults.

This fault is most noticeable when looking at 'Flurry' screensaver. The movement at a glance looks smooth but there is a very slight judder to the motion. This is also noticeable when playing 1080 or 720 video clips - But again is slight and I suspect most people wont notice it.

This is not as severe as the choppy motion I see with Hoolock, which is more evident as an occasional freeze.

The fault is also not constant - sometimes the fault is hardly noticeable at all, at others I think your average use would see it.

If you are using Vervet and you don't think you have a problem - Please load up the Flurry screensaver, take a closer look and report back.

Thanks

D

Hi FKA:

You should be able to use the standard framebuffer (Hoolock) with your card if you add Apple's 5770 rom to Extra and load it with the booter.

I've tried it yesterday and it worked fine for me. Note that I've only tested it with one monitor plugged on DVI. But with out the rom, Hoolock gives me mouse lags and I need to plug a VGA dongle into the second DVI port. With the rom everything works fine. For the moment I could not see any difference between Vervet and Hoolock performances, but peoples with more screens/issues may experience better ones.

Apple HD 5770 ROM:

1002_68b8.ATI.Radeon.HD5770.Juniper.Apple.rom.zip

Are you still using Kabyl's booter Trauma?

D

please read from the start of this thread - it's all there.

I love it when the "experts" tell a NooB to read a 1000 post thread "from the start" 'cause "it's all there". I suppose when you go see a doctor for medical advice he tells you "go to med school - the info you want's all there!"

got kernel panics with traumas rom and hoolock, couldn't figure it out! i'm back on verevt now too!

FKA: I also work in media, doing editing and postproduction and I would say I'm really sensitive to motion myself. Something is a bit off with 5770!

Comparing my old setup with the 5770 its definately a difference, I'm quite disappointed with the performance at this point! i really hope somebody is gonna figure it out!

fka: motmot got rid of the choppiness right?

Does anyone have a dual-monitor extended desktop running successfully with the 5770 and SL?

How?

Finally got the dual-monitor extended desktop working with an Apple HD5770.

I had been using a downloaded dsdt.aml and dsdt.dsl which was alleged to work (but didn't) with my AsusP5K-Deluxe motherboard --so I got a DSDT Editor, created my own dsdts and everything seems to be working.

Just in case anyone else has similar problems, here's my final setup:

1. Installed 10.6.3 from DMG, then did combo upgrade to 10.6.5

2. Using Kabyl's boot file (Chameleon 2.0 RC5 rev 486)

3. Each monitor connected via a miniDisplayport>DVI

4. /Extra directory has the following files:

• 1002_68b8.rom (which I created in Vista using the Radeon BIOS Editor but succeeding with GPU-Z)

• com.apple.Boot.plist
    [i][size=1][color="#0000ff"]<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
       <key>Graphics Mode</key>
       <string>1440x1050x32</string>
       <key>Instant Menu</key>
       <string>Yes</string>
       <key>GenerateCStates</key>
       <string></string>
       <key>Kernel</key>
       <string>mach_kernel</string>
       <key>Kernel Flags</key>
       <string></string>
       <key>Theme</key>
       <string>Default</string>
       <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
       <string>Yes</string>
       <key>UseAtiRom</key>
       <string>Yes</string>
       <key>AtiFb</key>
       <string>Hoolock</string>
    </dict>
    </plist>[/color][/size][/i]

• DSDT.aml and dsdt.dsl (custom created for my MB)
  • smbios.plist (don't know whether this is necessary or not)

/Extra/Extensions

• FakeSMC.kext
    (ver 1.0.0)

• AD2000b.kext
    (enables Asus P5K sound)

And here's the AboutThisMac>Graphics/Displays info:

ATI Radeon HD 5770:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5770

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x1

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x68b8

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

Big thanks to Trauma! for all his PM assistance.

I love it when the "experts" tell a NooB to read a 1000 post thread "from the start" 'cause "it's all there". I suppose when you go see a doctor for medical advice he tells you "go to med school - the info you want's all there!"

All you need to know is on the first 10 or 15 pages (As is the case generally with such threads!) - hardly hard work to read that, is it?!

Alternatively - looking for something specific like DSDT - you could use search in the thread > search DSDT.

I do it all the time when I have to read about something that is new to me!

I suppose when you go see a doctor for medical advice he tells you "go to med school - the info you want's all there!"

Nice analogy - if your a patient.

If you are servicing your hack then you need to be the doctor because the hack is the patient!

So yes all the info you need is there - GO FIND IT!

I'm no programmer or developer, this is a hobby and I've learned by reading and doing.

D :D

fka: motmot got rid of the choppiness right?

It does but with a DVI and HDMI monitors the are seen as one (mirrored) with controls for only the DVI monitor in System preferences. Can't remember if HDMI audio was working?

I'll try older framebuffer from pre 10.6.5 later..

D

I've just been through the rest of the Framebuffers this morning and none of them work as well as Vervet for me.

I'll post my list of results later.

I've run through framebuffers using Kabyls booter and only GraphicsEnabler=Yes and hdau edit to DSDT.

I've tested both DVI ports and HDMI:

Alopias – no video – no boot

Alouatta – no video – no boot

Baboon – HDMI only DVI signal out of range

Cardinal – no video – no boot

Caretta –no video

Colobus – no video – no boot

Douc – no video – no boot

Eulemur – no video – boots

Flicker – no video – boots

Galago – no video – no boot

Gliff – no video – no boot

Hoolock – good video, 1x DVI (farthest from HDMI/ MP) and HDMI working, no wake from sleep

Hypoprion – no video

Iago – no video

Kakapo – no video – no boot

Kipunji –no HDMI not full res

Lamna –no video

Langur – Good video but choppy, no HDMI audio

Megalodon – no video

Motmot – good video, HDMI mirror of DVI with no separate controls

Peregrine – no video – no boot

Quail – no video – no boot

Raven – no video – no boot

Shrike – no video – no boot

Sphyrna – no video – no boot

Triakis - no video, boots

Uakari – HDMI only

Vervet – Best but slightly choppy video

Zonalis – Some video – need to play some more with this one.

D

Are you still using Kabyl's booter Trauma?

D

No I'm using my own loader. I've fixed thing and added AtiFb justlike Kabyl did.

Did you tried to use the ROM with this options:

<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiFb</key>
<string>Hoolock</string>
<key>UseAtiROM</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Forget about VBIOS option, i think it's only used with NVidia cards.

Can't notice the choppiness you've talked about for the moment.

Bye.

PS: Only "monkey" framebuffer names works with HD5000 (Baboon, Langur, Vervet...).

Had to stop by this thread to chuckle at this post

Did you tried to use the ROM with this options:

<string>Yes</string>
		 <key>AtiFb</key>
		 <string>Hoolock</string>
		 <key>UseAtiROM</key>
		 <string>Yes</string>

Yes - and VBIOS=Yes/ No has an effect with Kabyls booter - I get KP with UseAtiROM=Yes and ROM file in Extra if I dont use VBIOS=No !

PS: Only "monkey" framebuffer names works with HD5000 (Baboon, Langur, Vervet...).

I know but thought I'd try them all anyway :rolleyes:

--- I'm just playing with a fresh install, having gone straight to 10.6.5 combo update and it is looking good so far ...

Will see what happens as I add things.

thanks for the list!

i just tried to playback video in win 7 ... in 24p mode i got the same jerkiness! I kind of suspect the gfx to be the problem now! fka, could you check under win7?

As far as I'm concerned - that's 24p - I hate it! your screen res in win 7 is around 60 > 75Hz? - If you frame rate convert from 24p to i50 or 30p it looks horrible whether you use hard or software conversion, it looks like a frame rate error.

I suspect the same with a 60>74Hz monitor refresh rate - Or if you monitor is at 23.9whateveritis playing video at a differant frame rate (i50 , 30p ....) and converting to 24p? - either way ...

IMHO even the cinema (24fps!) looks jerky with fast motion.

I'll check again in windows but haven't noticed any problem so far.

I did use Catalyst overdrive to OC the card and wondered if the OC may have stuck even on reboot to OS X but I have removed OC in Catalyst and it was still the same problem in OS X.

D

Im at page 20 and im trying to follow, but I cant find anything specific for the Apple Branded Card relating to getting the ATI audio out from the minidisplay port working, Ill keep reading, and Reading and KP'ing and Rebuilding.

:)

search the thread for DSDT hdau ..

Thanks for the tip FKA, I have read your posts about editing the DSDT files but every time I atempt the edit, its clear from the resulting Kernel Panic that I have no idea what im doing, and thats the reason I bought the Apple branded card, I thought I could just plug it in and away I go, but no.

I know that this thread is probably not the best place to be asking silly questions as you guys have a far greater understanding of how this stuff works, but is there a better thread or section that Im not pestering "The Big Boys"

Im suprised I got the card working at all let alone with full acceleration, but it would be nice to get my Cinema Display producing sound from the mini displayport,

Thanks Again!

I've skimmed thru many pages of this thread but haven't found my exact set of symptoms. I'd appreciate a little guidance. All works fine, except my 5770 doesn't go to sleep and doesn't wake. When I set the screen-saver to "Put Display to Sleep" (such as with a hot corner), the image on the screen remains static (clock stops ticking, movies remain on the same frame, etc). When I jiggle the mouse to interrupt the display-only sleep, it all returns to normal.

However, when I put the entire system to sleep, the ATI card doesn't wake up and the display remains off (yellow light, no backlight, etc) indicating that there's no signal. I know the system works upon waking, since I can leave Terminal up front and ask it nicely to reboot. With my previous GPU (NVIDIA 9600 GSO), all was good. Wishing I'd gone with NVIDIA again.

Setup:

• Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 with F11 BIOS (most recent)
  • MSI Hawk R5770 (with latest ROM)
  • GraphicEnabler=Yes (using kabyl modified Chameleon, no kexts)
  • UseAtiROM=Yes (extracted from Windows using GPU-Z)
  • DVI output only, not using HDMI or DisplayPort
  • DSDT based heavily on TonyMac template
  • installation method based heavily on this method

Methods attempted:

• tmongkol DSDT modifications (see attached for my full DSDT)
  • AtiFb = many variations (tho they don't seem to have any effect)
  • 64 bit vs. 32 bit
  • DropSSDT =Yes
  • pmset -a hibernatemode 0, 3, 25

I haven't yet tried flashing a different vendor's ROM into my 5770 (or trying to load it with Chameleon), as I can't determine what's considered to be the "canonical" ROM to use.

If you can't tell, I'm clutching at straws here. I'd love to get this working with at least 64 bit and sleep. Thanks in advance.

DSDT_ATI.zip

As far as I'm concerned - that's 24p - I hate it! your screen res in win 7 is around 60 > 75Hz? - If you frame rate convert from 24p to i50 or 30p it looks horrible whether you use hard or software conversion, it looks like a frame rate error.

I suspect the same with a 60>74Hz monitor refresh rate - Or if you monitor is at 23.9whateveritis playing video at a differant frame rate (i50 , 30p ....) and converting to 24p? - either way ...

IMHO even the cinema (24fps!) looks jerky with fast motion.

I'm testing the jerky movements on my plasma tv in 1080p that is connected via HDMI. When playing avatar for example it used to run really smooth in 24p mode with my old gfx card (x1950xt). It felt like real cinema at home.

Of course fast movements are jerky with 24 frames due to the nature of film. While tv productions tend to have a more fluid motion due to the picture being interlaced at 50/60 hz it looks kind of cheap to my eye... If films have to be interpolated to follow the 50/60hz structure of tv's and flat panels they don't look the same way! And they definately don't look any better or less jerky ;) As I said before I was very happy with my setup, watching blurays via xbmc media center on my hackintosh.

I really don't understand why I have the same issues in Win 7 now. It seems like there are problems with 24hz output in general since 50/60hz mode looks as it should in Win7.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the 5770 is a total disappointment. In fact games work great and I finally have sleep in 10.6.5.

Bloboj: What files do you have in /Extra/Extensions ?

Any recommendations as to wich card to pick to get most compability?

Or can i pick any card (cheapest 5770 i can find) and just add the Apple ROM?

I am upgrading to SL and want to get a new graphics card for gaming, chainging out my old 3650.

From all the possible ways to get this card working in SL, wick one would you say works best on the new iAtkos SL release?

Thanks!

//K

I'm testing the jerky movements on my plasma tv in 1080p that is connected via HDMI. When playing avatar for example it used to run really smooth in 24p mode with my old gfx card (x1950xt). It felt like real cinema at home.

Of course fast movements are jerky with 24 frames due to the nature of film. While tv productions tend to have a more fluid motion due to the picture being interlaced at 50/60 hz it looks kind of cheap to my eye... If films have to be interpolated to follow the 50/60hz structure of tv's and flat panels they don't look the same way! And they definately don't look any better or less jerky :( As I said before I was very happy with my setup, watching blurays via xbmc media center on my hackintosh.

Fair play - I have to deal with a lot of footage that is shot by indi film makers in 24p (as it's seen a the 'fashionable' thing to do!) however they must supply us with 1080 i 50 and as I said either hard or software conversion creates problems,

I just checked my copy of avatar and its 23.97fps also, and with my LCD at 1080p 60Hz or 1080i 60 it looks just as good (on my fresh install - which still has no problems!) as with the mon' at 24Hz - So there obviously isn't a framerate error and avatar remains my main test clip!

D

chrishelms,

(hackintosh) ~> ls /Extra/Extensions

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext/ Legacy888bHDA.kext/

JMicron36xSATA.kext/ fakesmc.kext/

As I said, I'm using a DSDT file (no SleepEnabler) and GraphicsEnabler=Yes (no ATY_INIT).

Any thoughts?

Im still soldiering on, trying to get the Audio Out from my Apple 5770 Card,

FKA I have been trying to ad the code I Found on page 48ish on you post from tmongol with the hdau and gfx

But every time I edit the dsdt.aml file I get a kernel panic!

I have added the Bios File 1002_68b8.rom i got from CPU-Z in windows 7 to my extra folder and

added useatirom to my boot.plist but that made no difference

Id Appreciate someone having a look at my setup and giving me a an idea weather I'm way off or almost there

Thanks Guys!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>No</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>UseAtiROM</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMUUID</key>
<string>EFFB6EC9-43A5-355E-8927-6C59043D9E65</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url].tonymacx86.com</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F2268DAE</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>Mac Pro</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>W895154Z5RU</string>
</dict>
</plist>

DSDT.aml.zip

Hey guys,

I tinkered some more with the stuttering issue yesterday...

First I started by enabling HDMI Sound for the 5770. This worked much easier then expected!

I decompiled my dsdt.aml with iASLMe and added the information that crazyjat posted here Then I recompiled dsdt.aml and after a reboot I had HDMI Audio working..

After adding the information about PEGP in DSDT.aml I was able to boot (with traumas apple 5770 rom) into osx using hoolock fb. I had output on hdmi and on dvi via vga adapter. i'm pretty sure displayport would work too but i dont have an adapter.

Under Hoolock I got exactly the same issue but I discovered something interesting... When the TV is the only output device connected the movie plays flawlessly! No stutter whatsoever! In Vervet I experienced exactly the same behaviour!

It doesn't make a difference if I use Hoolock or Vervet... As soon as the TV becomes second output device the stuttering is back! it's only noticable with fast movements so I tested it with the movie Avatar: It starts with the 20th century fox logo and then continues with a flight over the pandorian rainforrest. the flight scene has some very fast movements and is the best indication if everything works as it should. I've seen these scenes like 100 times yesterday night and only one time with smooth motion and that was when the TV is the only display device connected!

Does anyone else with a 1080p device experience this?

Finally got the dual-monitor extended desktop working with an Apple HD5770.

Why on earth are you using a real Apple 5770 in a hack??

Im still soldiering on, trying to get the Audio Out from my Apple 5770 Card,

FKA I have been trying to ad the code I Found on page 48ish on you post from tmongol with the hdau and gfx

But every time I edit the dsdt.aml file I get a kernel panic!

I have added the Bios File 1002_68b8.rom i got from CPU-Z in windows 7 to my extra folder and

added useatirom to my boot.plist but that made no difference

Where did you get the DSDT - did you extract it yourself from your machine?

Which bootloader are you using?

If you have Kabyl's booter then you must use UseAtiROM=No or you get KP.

I see you have GraphicsEnabler=No -- you must have Ati_init.kext ???

If you are happy with this then try with DSDT but UseAtiROM=No

However I have never tried to get hdau working with Ati_init.kext!

D

Hey guys,

I tinkered some more with the stuttering issue yesterday...

First I started by enabling HDMI Sound for the 5770. This worked much easier then expected!

I decompiled my dsdt.aml with iASLMe and added the information that crazyjat posted here Then I recompiled dsdt.aml and after a reboot I had HDMI Audio working..

After adding the information about PEGP in DSDT.aml I was able to boot (with traumas apple 5770 rom) into osx using hoolock fb. I had output on hdmi and on dvi via vga adapter. i'm pretty sure displayport would work too but i dont have an adapter.

Under Hoolock I got exactly the same issue but I discovered something interesting... When the TV is the only output device connected the movie plays flawlessly! No stutter whatsoever! In Vervet I experienced exactly the same behaviour!

It doesn't make a difference if I use Hoolock or Vervet... As soon as the TV becomes second output device the stuttering is back! it's only noticable with fast movements so I tested it with the movie Avatar: It starts with the 20th century fox logo and then continues with a flight over the pandorian rainforrest. the flight scene has some very fast movements and is the best indication if everything works as it should. I've seen these scenes like 100 times yesterday night and only one time with smooth motion and that was when the TV is the only display device connected!

Does anyone else with a 1080p device experience this?

This is really interesting - I've reported a missmatch between my DVI monitor and LCD Tv when using mirror mode - where by when video is fullscreen I get a horizontal split in the video on my LCD TV in OSX and on my BenQ DVI monitor in Windows ...

As the fault was on both windows 7 and OS X I presumed its either a limitation of the card or some kind of missmatch with the active video size of each monitor. I did play around with the overscan settings in Catalyst to make the active video the same size on each monitor in Win7 (The LCD was nativly overscanning too much.) but it didn't fix the problem ..

I'll try running with just my LCD tonight and see if I get the same results.

D