ATI HD 5770

ralfhome

1,160 posts in this topic

Try the bootloader from kabyl, it should work and you won't need to load your bios as it reads it directly from the video card. Also, you should run the graphics update installer normally, and avoid editing the plists, it wasn't necessary for my rig. (same device 68b8) Good luck.

Try the bootloader from kabyl, it should work and you won't need to load your bios as it reads it directly from the video card. Also, you should run the graphics update installer normally, and avoid editing the plists, it wasn't necessary for my rig. (same device 68b8) Good luck.

I found a kabyl bumpy iso on the net which I burned to a disc. It doesnt boot past the loading Darwin text line.

I cant find a resource to see if the kabyl bumpy is the boot loader that everyone talks about, and where to find latest versions of it.

Is there only one version?

What is frustrating me now is I cannot get a 3rd display working (DP on my Dell U2410).

Any suggestions?

It's all about the (Chameleon) "boot" file that you use (in your case- since you have a native DP display)...

Kabyl's boot file works for me... I'd recommend installing Chameleon with the package installer on this page, then replace the boot file located at the root dir of your SL installation using an elevated prompt in terminal with the one found here.

I know this is exactly what worked like a charm on my system, but I know that various other versions of Chameleon enable three displays as well.

I really hope that whatever changes to Chameleon that are necessary to get 3 displays working and to support the latest ATI HD series card, will be merged into the trunk VERY soon!

Good luck & enjoy

Yes, there's only one version and it's right next to this thread.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231768

I installed the boot file to my Chameleon booter and I managed to get into OSX using it.

The hardware detects as a Radeon 5770 although it reports as 256mb of video ram when the card has 1gb. Is this a small problem reporting the statistics or is it a real problem where the os is really thinking the card only has 256 mb of ram?

For some reason it still boots to 1024 * 768 resolution and will not allow me to change it in the preferences panel.

I've seen a few posts in the past where some people specify the resolution in their boot file. But I cant find the posts. Whats the flags to do it in the com.apple.Boot.plist file?

-snip-

For some reason it still boots to 1024 * 768 resolution and will not allow me to change it in the preferences panel.

If it doesn't let you change resolution, it's probably not loading the driver properly - I'll bet QE/CI aren't available - right?

Patrick

Quite possible quartz is not enabled, try dropping a widget and if you see the ripple it's on. If not, you may have a problem with the video kexts or you haven't enabled the graphic detection properly. Is GraphicsEnabler=Yes on your com.apple.boot.plist?

You should also boot with Wait=Yes and check the log for any problem.

hey guys,

my sapphire 5770 arrived today and i need a quick tutorial on how to set it up with the most current methods around... my plan is:

1. Install 10.6.0 Vanilla from DVD using Boot 132 (Do I need a special version?)

2. Update to 10.6.5 (I have the guide for my board already)

3. Install iMac Graphics Update (Is this still necessary if I install 10.6.5?)

4. Get Chameleon RC5 629 from here

5. Get boot.gz from kabyl

6. Replace boot.gz in root Directory

7. Boot to OSX

Is that the way?

OK, I'm a newbie. I was running iDeneb 10.5.8 with a nVidia 8600GTS card and all was fine (extended display on 2 monitors at 1680x1050) -- but when I installed 10.6.5 all I got was a single monitor in VGA mode.

So, I decided to order a Radeon HD 5770 direct from Apple, thinking that their version of the card would be properly setup to run right out of the box. Yeh, I was wrong. My 10.5.8 now comes up only in VGA and so does my 10.6.5 (they're on different Hard Drives and I'm using Chameleon 2.0 RC4.

Could someone take pity on me (I've been screwing with this for a total of 30 hours already). What do I do to get my 5770 running, at 1680x1050 (I've got Samsung 226BW 22" monitors) on both monitors? The more I read the confuseder I get. I'm not even sure what should still remain in my /extra folder.

Oh, and I'm using an older Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi mobo which uses an Intel P35 chipset (So do I also need a new mobo like the Gigabyte GA-EX58 ?)

Thanks for any detailed, step-by-step directions (or point me to a detailed guide for dummies).

Thank you very much. I just installed one week ago a ATI Radeon 5870 gigabyte Card ( GV-R587UD-1GD ) . And following your little guide it works flawlessly.

It very good to have not only a hackintosh , also a gamer PC. It's one of the main problemas with the real Mac , the built-in graphic cards are not very powerfull. And the mac pro is prohibitively expensive with a very good card. So hackintosh is the way.

:unsure:

i wish somebody would write an install tutorial for the 5770. I really wonder what the best install method is... I'm gonna try kabyl's boot loader and see if it works..

It seems the Sapphire model is really compatible and quite cheap (110 Euros) I hope I'm gonna get mine tomorrow!

How do I just install a new boot file?

I'm using the Apple ATI Radeon HD 5770 grahics card.

I just installed Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r643 and my display finally changed from 1024x768 to 1400x1050 (don't know why it didn't go to it's full 1680x1050 res).

I want to install Kabyl's boot, but I don't know how to do that (I know how you do the manual install of Chameleon using terminal but I'm afraid I'll mess up my Chameleon if I try to guess which commands to use just to install a new boot). I'm hoping this will allow me to have an extended dual-monitor display @ 1680x1050 on my two Samsung 22" monitors.

My Kabyl Boot file is on the desktop of my SnowLeopard. What exactly should my path in terminal be?

/dev/disk2

#:........TYPE NAME............SIZE.....IDENTIFIER

0:....GUID_partition_scheme...*2.0 TB....disk2

1:....EFI....................209.7 MB....disk2s1

2:....Apple_HFS Snow Leopard...1.8 TB....disk2s2

Can someone provide complete, simple, step-by-step instruction regarding how to install the Kabyl boot file?

Thanks

Hooray! That was easy! Plugged in the card, booted to OSX Install with newest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

After installing I updated to 10.6.5 and installed the Chameleon Realease that I mentioned earlier.

Then i went into terminal and typed cp /Download/boot /Volumes/Snowleo (start typing your path and press tab to auto complete the path)

After a restart I had the Sapphire 5770 working. Just one thing:

3 displays don't work at the same time. Only 2 (either dvi and hdmi or 2x dvi)

I guess i need displayport -> hdmi adapter to get all 3 running right?

I guess i need displayport -> hdmi adapter to get all 3 running right?

Correct... MAKE SURE you get an "ACTIVE" adapter- and actually I believe that DP > DVI Active Adapter is the cheapest (and possibly the only one available, it was when I purchased mine).

You can then use the HDMI port for your HDMI monitor. I'm not sure if a simple DVI-HDMI adapter would work, but it should- I don't see why not. I just haven't tried it since I have no need to...

How do I just install a new boot file?

I'm using the Apple ATI Radeon HD 5770 grahics card.

I just installed Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r643 and my display finally changed from 1024x768 to 1400x1050 (don't know why it didn't go to it's full 1680x1050 res).

I want to install Kabyl's boot, but I don't know how to do that (I know how you do the manual install of Chameleon using terminal but I'm afraid I'll mess up my Chameleon if I try to guess which commands to use just to install a new boot). I'm hoping this will allow me to have an extended dual-monitor display @ 1680x1050 on my two Samsung 22" monitors.

My Kabyl Boot file is on the desktop of my SnowLeopard. What exactly should my path in terminal be?

/dev/disk2

#:........TYPE NAME............SIZE.....IDENTIFIER

0:....GUID_partition_scheme...*2.0 TB....disk2

1:....EFI....................209.7 MB....disk2s1

2:....Apple_HFS Snow Leopard...1.8 TB....disk2s2

Can someone provide complete, simple, step-by-step instruction regarding how to install the Kabyl boot file?

Thanks

cp /Users/user_name/Desktop/boot /

As root user presuming that your boot file is now installed in your / directory although you are probably best using an external usb drive and cloning your install to it first then you can experiment to your hearts content without risking your main install.

Apple ATI RADEON HD5770 card still not providing extended display on dual monitors

I finally got the Kabyl boot to install (using a USB flash stick) which Trauma recommended that I try. I read elsewhere that both the ATI5000Controller.kext and the ATIRadeonX3000.kext needed to have the ATI Radeon 5770 Vendor/Device ID numbers added to their info.plist (0x68b81002) so I did that.

However, in the SystemProfiler>Graphics/Display it does not show that an ATI Radeon HD5770 card is installed. This is all that appears.

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x1

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x68b8

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1400 x 1050

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Can anyone suggest ( a ) what I do next or ( b ) who else I might talk with to get this graphics card working?

Try booting with GraphicsEnabler=Yes Wait=Yes and take a look at the text when it stops, it should say something about your video hardware and which framebuffer is being loaded.

Something like this:

Using PCI-Root-UID value: 1
ATI card POSTed, reading VBIOS from legacy space
ATI JUNIPER ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB (Vervet) [1002:68b8] :: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

You may also double click the bdmesg file located in /Extra/Util and copy that here.

Try booting with GraphicsEnabler=Yes Wait=Yes and take a look at the text when it stops, it should say something about your video hardware and which framebuffer is being loaded.

Something like this:

Using PCI-Root-UID value: 1
 ATI card POSTed, reading VBIOS from legacy space
 ATI JUNIPER ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB (Vervet) [1002:68b8] :: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

You may also double click the bdmesg file located in /Extra/Util and copy that here.

I booted with GraphicsEnabler=Yes Wait=Yes in my com.apple.Boot.plist on my USB stick -- and no message appeared - Chameleon booted normally !?!?

Also, I don't have an /extra/util directory.